Profile for Robert C. Pozen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert C. Pozen RSS Feed

Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other
Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other
by Sherry Turkle
119 used & new from $4.66

5.0 out of 5 stars the psychology of technology, January 22, 2011
Sherry Turkle has written a gem of a book, which explores the psychological implications of technology. The book has two parts. In the first part, she goes into depth about how people relate to robots. This is a fascinating subject about which I knew little, and she really caught my attention by her insights. I also liked her interviews with children that drove home in a concrete way many of her points.
In the second part of the book, she discusses the more general social implications of the increasing use of the Internet. Is this a great new way for people to interact, or is this a way for people to allow themselves to have fewer and fewer human relations? She is clearly is worried that the latter is happening, and so was I after reading her chapters.
I should also say that the whole book is written in plain english without a lot of technical jargon, which can unfortunately mar books of distinguished professors. She makes her points clearly with good support, while recognizing there could be a different viewpoint.