Profile for Walk_the_walk > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Walk_the_walk "Byte Me" RSS Feed (Gary, Indiana)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
TurboTax Premier 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer - Win
Price: $54.99

2.0 out of 5 stars To call it a bad marketing scheme is an understatement, March 2, 2015
As a 15 year veteran user of TurboTax, and a former software tester myself, I have a long list of complaints about TurboTax software this year. I'm also concerned that this year's product "switcheroos" border on potentially illegal and misleading business practices, worthy of a class action law suit. To call it a bad marketing scheme is an understatement.

As a self employed person with a trust account, I am required to buy both TT Business and TT Premier each year to do the 1041, 1040 and Schedule K-1s. Prior to this year, 1065s were also in the mix as I owned a small business that was an LLC. I'm sure Intuit looks at customers like us with a "cha-ching" in their eyes, as they gouge us for the full meal deal. I would not have an issue with that, if the TT Business software was not so glitchy, or if they had not yanked the full version of Schedule C out of TT Premier. (See attached pic of the back of the product package - note that Schedule C is relegated to Home & Business this year).

To be fair, I could have given TT Premier a 4 star rating, if it were not for the greed and folly of removing Schedule C, which was included with the product last year. Otherwise, Premier seems to work quite fine- there were no weird Error Check snafus at the end, like there almost always are with TT Business, error messages that leave you scratching your head and doubting the accuracy of your return and the product, and send you off to Google the web for more information on obscure tax law issues, that you should never have to research in the first place. After all, isn't that WHY you paid the big bucks for TurboTax in the first place? (As an example, we spent many extra hours trying to deduce a bug in Form 1116 in TT Business, only to find out that it was indeed a known bug, and this after 12 software updates since the first of the year.)

But, to be fair, Premier worked seamlessly; it was easy to use, and generated no bogus Error Check messages. So, my hat is off to the Premier team. They should take a few weeks to help out the developers in the Business group to get their act together.

Even so, I can't go beyond two stars because there was inaccurate information posted, even as of the 1st of March, on the TT website and forums about whether TT Premier includes the full Schedule C. It doesn't. And to get that one form, I had to call and complain, then get an upgrade code from customer service and upgrade to Home & Business. Note to Intuit: customers don't enjoy playing "Simon Says" with our tax software.

Shame on the Intuit Sales and Marketing team for one of the worst marketing decisions since the Netflix split or New Coke. You have figured out how to hack off your base, how to lose thousands of customers, and send them looking to your competitors for their tax software needs from now on.

The only good news, if it is true, is that I was assured by Customer Service that this SNAFU with the Schedule C being yanked from TT Premier, will not happen again. Perhaps Bob Meighan, a TT VP who trolls the Amazon site, will confirm that. If not, then next year, I may not but TurboTax again. Too bad, too, as TT Premier was otherwise quite good from a functionality and UI perspective.

But, if you don't need Schedule C, or have the patience to demand an upgrade if you do, then at least you know the score.

TurboTax Premier 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer
TurboTax Premier 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer
Price: $54.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Consumers Beware - Problems with the software this year. SCHEDULE C OMITTED FROM SOFTWARE, March 1, 2015
Lots of problems with the SW this year. I was not happy with it. We spent more time debugging and triple-checking than we should have.

Worst of all, Schedule C was omitted from Premier, and we used this same software last year and it was there. Postings on the Intuit website say that Schedule C is included, and others say it is not. The correct answer is IT IS NOT INCLUDED. They instead expect you to buy TT Home and Business. Consumers Beware of this tricky scheme.

Even worse is that when I tried to return the opened product within the 60 day window, as detailed in the TT policy, which says that returns are "Guaranteed Easy", my return was denied because I did not buy the software directly from Intuit.
This is important to Amazon customers as this means that you may not be able to return the software if you find it wont do what you need it to do.

I spent almost an hour on the phone, only to get incorrect info about the return policy, which states that I should be able to return the software within 60 days.

TurboTax Business 2014 Fed + Fed Efile Tax Software
TurboTax Business 2014 Fed + Fed Efile Tax Software
Price: $104.99

1.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETELY FED UP WITH TURBO TAX BUSINESS - PRICING, FUNCTIONALITY AND UNRELIABILITY!!, February 27, 2015
I've been a TT Business user for many years and at this point, I am COMPLETELY FED UP WITH TURBO TAX BUSINESS - from a PRICING, FUNCTIONALITY AND UNRELIABILITY standpoint. I just finished two 1041 Trust returns and had to report two major bugs to the Turbo Tax forum. These were bugs in the GUI design or in the underlying code that drives calculations and fills in worksheets, or prevents you from doing so, in some cases. I can back this up with comments from the TT forum acknowledging that I, as a former software tester, did find bugs.

Worse, Intuit just rolled out a software update to fix some of their bugs last week. This is either good or bad depending on your point of view - and more importantly whether you already filed your return derived with the code that still had bugs in it!

Intuit/Turbo Tax got a lot of heat from their customer base with their sneaky repackaging and repricing schemes, and deservedly so. I had already purchased my copy of TT Business and TT Premier, and am Mad as HELL that I have to buy two of the most expensive packages they sell, just because I own a small business and have to file a 1041 for my trust and an 1120s for my business.

I would rather just buy TT Ultimate in one package that has everything in it, and pay a $199 price and be done with it! Instead, you start out each year playing the "pick your package" game with the TT software, which is getting OLD!

Even that would not be intolerable IF THE SOFTWARE WAS NOT RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC WITH GLARING BUGS AND GUI problems. Here are just a few that I encountered that YOU need to be aware of if you are buying TT Business, especially if you need to do a 1041 for an estate or trust:

1. MOST IMPORTANT: TurboTax Business WILL NOT IMPORT YOUR Consolidated 1099 from ETrade, Ameritrade, Fidelity, Scottrade or ANYOTHER BROKERAGE Partner. It is not possible to import a 1099 into TT Business. NO SUCH FEATURE EXISTS. I even had Ameritrade staff tell me it did, only to find out it did not on the TT forum website. What this means is that, if you buy and sell a lot of stocks or bonds, you will have to enter EVERY DETAIL OF EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION, one-at-a-time, including Purchase date, purchase price, Sale date, sale price, and description. LOADS of fun. Mine took about 4 hours!

Now, to be clear, if you buy Turbo Tax Deluxe, you can import your 1099 form for your brokerage. But for $129 for Business, YOU LOSE THAT FUNCTIONALITY??? DOES THIS MAKE SENSE TO ANYONE?

You cant imagine the tedium of having to cross-reference an incomplete 1099 with a Gainskeeper Report to get all the data entered into Turbotax. Then, there is the proof-reading of the manual entry of all that data. Figure 6-8 hours total... LOST. Thanks TurboTax.

2. There were bugs that cropped up during the completion of both 1041s we had to do. A software update from a few days ago fixed part of the problem, but another part remains. In short, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT trying to do miscellaneous itemized deductions, as the code for the Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions Worksheet is mangled and it creates an error during final Error Check if you have any entry of any kind in this category. Either put the deduction somewhere else, forgo it altogether, or buy another software program.

3. If you are doing a 1041 and there are any foreign stocks in your account, such as BP or Vodaphone or any Canadian companies, then please be aware taht Form 1116 for Foreign Tax Credits is screwed up, too. There is a workaround, but when you go through it the first time, dont expect it to work as it should.

4. In prior versions of TT Business, you could shift into Forms mode and click on specific cells in the forms where calculated values appear, and then right-click and look up the Data Source for the value found in that cell. This was a helpful feature in tracking down the ever-present bugs in TurboTax software so that you could find a way to complete your return in a timely fashion.

Well, not any more and not very much. The developers at Intuit are either too busy, too lazy or just dont care, and they left out the data source info on almost every single calculated cell on almost every worksheet, at least as far as 1041 trust returns and related forms are concerned. To be accurate, there were a few rare instances where the data source was filled in, but in most cases, either NOTHING appears (as if the option were greyed out), or what does appear in a pop-up is useless and meaningless.

5. Last but not least, the constant issue of poorly designed GUI text and explanations. Brevity may work in text messages, but if falls short in a tax return environment.

The ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT TURBO TAX BUSINESS IS THIS: I get to spend a lot of extra time each year on the learning curve of the latest IRS tax forms and instructions, as I spend more time on their site trying to figure out WHY Turbo Tax's latest software is generating an error or not working properly, than I do entering data into the software.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PRICEY AND IS SUPPOSED TO WORK SEAMLESSLY SO THAT AN INTELLIGENT PERSON CAN ENTER THEIR DATA AND GENERATE AN ACCURATE TAX RETURN. INSTEAD, WITH THIS YEARS SOFTWARE, YOU CAN COUNT ON SPENDING DOZENS OF EXTRA HOURS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY ITS NOT WORKING.

Worst of all, I shopped around and bough this software at a discount price of $129 and now it has gone down in price. As for me, I WOULD LIKE A REFUND. I am completely fed up with the poor quality of TT software.

In fact, if it weren't for the kind assistance of some good hearted folks on the TT User forum, who are probably working for free, I would not have been able to complete my returns or have any faith in their accuracy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2015 9:08 AM PST

11/22/63: A Novel
11/22/63: A Novel
by Stephen King
Price: $11.29
206 used & new from $3.95

1.0 out of 5 stars A Weighty Tome Best Passed Over..., February 22, 2015
This review is from: 11/22/63: A Novel (Paperback)
I guess Stephen must have fired his editor because this book is overwhelmingly long at almost 850 pages and it even includes a recipe section at the end and a song list of songs Stephen listened to while writing the book. Is that really necessary?

Those with strong interest in the JFK assassination and who believe that the Warren Commission report is total crap will find this book frustrating at the end... I won't reveal the details but I was quite disappointed. the past is not as obdurate as the lies of the Warren Commission are. And, as many reviewers noted, the middle section of the book bogs down heavily with myriad details of multiple characters that are hard to follow and easily put one to sleep. Only in the last one
tenth of the book is there any suspense at all.
I sure would like to have the three months I spent reading this bloated novel, that could have been a short story, back. I guess I'll need to do a time travel reset and start over.

Camco 45192 Sunshield Vent Insulator with Reflective Surface
Camco 45192 Sunshield Vent Insulator with Reflective Surface
Price: $11.61
23 used & new from $8.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Blocks out the light so you can ..., February 5, 2015
Great product. Blocks out the light so you can sleep in. Fits perfectly in our Forest River Wildwood 2005 travel trailer. Wish I'd bought it sooner. More than that, I wished I'd invented it.

Samsung SDS-P4042 4 Camera, 8 Channel 960H DVR Security System (White)
Samsung SDS-P4042 4 Camera, 8 Channel 960H DVR Security System (White)
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $359.00
3 used & new from $359.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Great quality. Easy to set up. Forget the rest and get this one instead. This is my 2nd system and I love it!, February 5, 2015
Great product. Really nice image quality. Easy to set up. This is my 2nd system, as my prior one had a hard drive failure after a few years. In any case, this one was much easier to set up - literally plug and play - and you get instructions and everything you need, but it was so easy to configure, I only used the instructions at first when hooking up the cables and just played with the system to get the motion detection set up.

Compared to the prior system that I paid $500 for at Sears, this one is far superior. Since we were doing a replacement, we did not re-run the cables but installed the main recorder first, attaching the original cameras, then swapped out the old cameras, one at a time. So we could see the immediate image quality improvement in both daylight and infrared viewing.

I am very happy with this product and believe that I was smart to spend a few extra bucks on a better brand name system. I haven't forgotten how I had to call tech support on my other system 3 or 4 times while trying to figure out how to set it up, and the manual was awful. With the Samsung, I did not even need to call support, as it was falling down easy to set up. So, the savings in time and frustration justify the extra cost in my opinion.

In fact, the only caveat I can think of is that I would prefer that the body of the cameras be black, dark grey or brown, not white, so they dont stick out so much for my application in a rural setting. I prefer that the cameras not be so obvious, and the white part of the camera body makes it stand out. Otherwise, the product is perfect. Just what you expect from Samsung.

Cutequeen LED Car Lights Bulb 10PCS White T15 42-SMD 42smd 906 579 901 904 908 909 912 914 915 916 917 918 920 921 922 923 926 927 928 939 (pack of 10)
Offered by autocarstore

5.0 out of 5 stars These work great! I was skeptical at first, January 30, 2015
Wow. We own a Forest River Wildwood 37' Travel Trailer which has 27 incandescent bulbs, so we bought a 10 pack to try. These work great! I was skeptical at first, as some posted that they bulbs did not work (probably inserted them backwards, as they are polarized and if you flip it 180 degrees it will be fine I'll bet). Also- and I really dont get this - someone posted that they are too hot? What??? The original incandescent bulbs are so hot that they can burn your hands if you dont let them cool off before removing them, but these are LEDS and generate almost ZERO heat.

Installing them were easy and the nice white-blue light brightens up our travel trailer, especially around the kitchen sink. We even replaced the bulb in the vent hood over the stove, which was a great plus.

I took a sample pic of the 12V light fixture over the trailer dining table, so you can see the difference. The yellowish light - the middle bulb - is the original incandescent 12V bulb; the two bright white-blue ones on each side are the new, lower power, more efficient LED bulbs we bought and installed. This is a no brainer purchase in my mind and I will be ordering more of them, as the energy efficiency, power savings, and longer life are all pluses. Also the original incandescent bulbs are more expensive per bulb and run hot.
Comment Comment | Permalink

High Absorption CURCUMIN TURMERIC Extract (by InnovixLabs). 100 Time Release Tablets. Award-Winning Curcumin C3 Reduct + Curcumin C3 Complex + BioPerine. 3X More Powerful than regular Curcumin extracts.
Offered by Innovix Pharma, Inc.
Price: $31.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I used to own a supplements company and got zero ..., January 30, 2015
I used to own a supplements company and got zero benefit from this product. Seems all hype to me. I agree with prior 1 star poster on the effectiveness, as I have used New Chapter Turmeric Force with noticeable effect - none from this product. I bought two bottles and returned one right away, when I also realized that this product is a pressed tablet with lots of OTHER INGREDIENTS in it, such as Dicalcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropol Methycellulose (micro-sawdust essentially), Vegetable Stearic Acid, and Vegetable Wax.

I have also previously sold and used a product called Phenocane, by Oxylife, that has similar ingredients and is much more effective for arthritis and inflammation issues, at a far lower cost. All hype here.

Health Concerns SPZM - 90 Tablets
Health Concerns SPZM - 90 Tablets
Offered by Express Health
Price: $24.25
9 used & new from $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - works well for me. Have used it for 3 months now, January 27, 2015
My accupuncturist recommended this to me for cervical spondylosis neck and shoulder muscle spasms, at a dose of 3 tabs per, 3-4 times per day. I was skeptical, but have found that this product really works. It has shut off more than one painful muscle spasm at that dose. 2 tabs doesnt work as well. I do take other pain remedies like Tylenol Xtra Strength and prescription muscle relaxers or pain meds if needed, but I start off with this if I have a muscle spasm, as I prefer not to take the stronger stuff if a natural product will do the trick.

Cant speak to hemifascial spasm, which may require something much stronger, such as prescription strength products like Zanaflex, but this product worked great for me, I have used it a few months now and am on my 5th or 6th bottle.

Health Concerns - SPZM 90 tabs
Health Concerns - SPZM 90 tabs
Offered by "Naturaly"
Price: $25.75
5 used & new from $25.60

5.0 out of 5 stars My accupuncturist recommended this to me for cervical spondylosis neck and shoulder ..., January 27, 2015

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7