Profile for Donald Foss Smith III > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Donald Foss Smith III RSS Feed (Madison, WI USA)

Blood and Memory: The Quickening Book Two
Blood and Memory: The Quickening Book Two
by Fiona McIntosh
Price: $13.80
119 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not pay me to finish this book., April 28, 2006
After struggling through the first book, I gave this one a chance based on the story's "potential" and the hopes that the second time around the writing could only improve.

It doesn't. I made it about 75 pages in and put it down mid sentence.

I'm just glad I got it from the library and did not shell out any $$ for it.

Sparkle in the Finish
Sparkle in the Finish
Price: $12.57
33 used & new from $0.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Another outstanding album from a true original, January 20, 2005
This review is from: Sparkle in the Finish (Audio CD)
Ike Reilly delivers another outstanding set of well crafted tunes and continues to impress. An excellent follow up to Salesmen, which is Sparkle's biggest challenge - it's impossible to replicate the feeling you get from the first dozen spins of Salesmen and the discovery (or re-discovery) of Ike's talents. That said the album rocks from start to finish and puts a smile on my face every time.

Ike is one of those artists that I find myself unable to explain to people with words. I invariably give up and just play the music for them, letting Ike do the telling himself.

I've had the privelege to see him twice, once in college (as Ike Reilly & Community 9) and again following the release of Salesmen & Racists. Both were outstanding shows, if you ever get the chance to see him live - do so.

Note on Ike Reilly; Community 9 - a cd that still made it to my player until it made it to my IPod - a great view into the early formation of Ike's unique songwriting stylings - standouts include "Way Down", "President of the World", "Real Tears", "Falling Into Happiness". The album is likely for diehards only as it lacks the polish/tightness of his two recent efforts, but it's still Ike rocking out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2008 11:56 AM PDT