Profile for Wendy Somerlot Bittel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 64

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wendy Somerlot Bittel RSS Feed (Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
15" Dressable Madeline Doll
15" Dressable Madeline Doll
5 used & new from $40.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A consistent favorite, December 30, 2004
This review is from: 15" Dressable Madeline Doll (Toy)
We bought the Nona 15 rag doll friend of Madeline for our then 3 year old daughter last Christmas. This year we had to add outfits and accessories. The doll is a favorite that gets tucked in almost every night. The soft body makes her easy for little hands to dress, change outfits, and snuggle with. Some of the smaller items like the little shoes or gloves may need some adult help to be put on. The outfits are very well made and durable. Overall I am really pleased with how well this toy has held up and held interest.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to ride and spin, December 30, 2004
We just got this for our 4 year old for Christmas so I can't comment on durability but it has been a huge hit. She figured out very quickly how to go forward, backward, make turns and spin. She can take it up and down the drive way with no problems but our drive is pretty flat. While the toy is wide it offers enough manueverablity that it could be driven around in smaller spaces like a basement.

It uses all upper body muscles so it's a good alternative to most riding toys that usually make use of only the lower body muscle groups. It requires some balance as to get it to brake you have to lean forward. Our child is a little bit tall for her age- about 43 inches but she fit just fine. Our 5 year old who is about 47 inches could use it too with no knee bumping.

It was easy to put together but be sure to have a hammer handy. Overall I am really pleased with the toy and how excited both kids are to use it.

A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story
A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story
by Berkeley Breathed
45 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten Treasure Rediscovered, December 22, 2004
My husband and I bought this book long ago- when it was just the two of us- before diapers, midnight wailings, etc. This Christmas our 4 and 5 year old found it sitting dustily on a shelf while making a secret and somewhat sneaky foray into mommy and daddy's bookcase. Imagine their surprise at finding a "kids book" among all those with just words. Opus has been read every night since. And the message of this wonderful story has not been lost. Although we've had to discuss why Opus is okay with not getting his own set of wings that work, I think the message of being happy with and making the most of the gifts you already have has been recorded somewhere in their little brains.

Anyway- Opus stands the test of time. If you grown ups have it tucked away somewhere gathering dust get this book out and share Opus with someone newer to this world. And have a Merry Christmas!

State of Fear
State of Fear
by Michael Crichton
957 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A slightly different twist from Crichton, December 19, 2004
This review is from: State of Fear (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I have with all of Crichton's novels. As usual he takes on a somewhat controversial scientific topic and explores the issues through story.

Peter Evans starts out as a surprisingly (...) charachter. I can't recall any lead in one of Crichton's books being quite this much of a whiner- or at least they were a secondary charachter and quickly eaten by a T-Rex or a velociraptor much to the readers relief usually. This charachter goes through a little more personality development through his movement towards enlightenment. Whether you agree with his final views or not there is the standard adventurous twists and turns and he grows into a reasonably respectable main charachter. Of course I am not sure any 3 dimensional human being could withstand the physical punishment that Evans endures over the course of a few short days. And Crichton is a bit more graphic than usual- especially during the cannibal scene.

Some people will be undoubtedly upset by the views expressed in this novel. But it is worth reading as it applies to the human condition overall regardless as to whether or not you believe in the data that is quoted. The State of Fear message is similiar to one of the messages in the recent Michael Moore movie "Bowling for Columbine". Both point to the idea that we as a society are governed by things we are made to believe threaten us. It's an interesting concept to ponder.

Sweet Briar Goes to School
Sweet Briar Goes to School
by Karma Wilson
27 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Dealing with stinky school experiences, August 2, 2004
Sweet Briar starts school and much to her surprise the other animals tease her about being a skunk. This continues until Sweet Briar's odoriforous nature saves the day. The story has a good message about valuing peoples' differences and the impact of teasing. My two young children really enjoyed hearing it- the illustrations are wonderful as is Karma Wilson's writing.

How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
by Esmé Raji Codell
Price: $16.31
252 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading Resource Extraordinaire!, June 24, 2004
What a fun, cleverly written book! Codell's writing is inspiring as well as informative. She provides tons and tons of ideas for reading materials on all manners of topics from social studies to bath time. But she doesn't stop there! She also includes clever ideas to make reading come to life for kids. As an avid lover of resource and child education books, I admit I only own few but this one is a keeper. I would recommend this for parents of infants through early elementary students. If you are looking for reading material to augment your child's life experiences or classroom experiences, I believe this book would be a valuable asset. Happy Reading!

Jessica's X-Ray
Jessica's X-Ray
by Pat Zonta
Price: $8.95
52 used & new from $2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars X-Rays Up close!, December 11, 2003
This review is from: Jessica's X-Ray (Paperback)
This is a great story for any child who has an interest in bones, doctors, hospitals, the human body etc. The illustrations are cute. The story is of a little girl, Jessica, who has broken her arm. As she is receiving care at the hospital, she sees all different types of x-rays and the different types of equipment that take them. The best part of all is that there are real X-rays on every other page for kids to study up close. My preschoolers really enjoyed spending some time looking over those pages. It's a very unique book. I would highly recommend it for the budding scientist or for any child who may have to have X-rays of their own taken.

Woodkins (Princess w/ Castle) 3
Woodkins (Princess w/ Castle) 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet lots of fun!, November 26, 2003
Grandpa brought my three year old one of the Woodkin dress up sets. At first I was skeptical- the toy looks so simple compared to most that I doubted it would stand the test of time. It has.
My daughter loves to come up with new combinations of outfits and share her new creation with the rest of us. We've added a few more bits of fabric for more options. She sits quietly and rearranges the clothing over and over again. I am amazed at how well this has held her interest and encouraged her creativity.

Melissa & Doug Band in a Box
Melissa & Doug Band in a Box
Price: $19.72
138 used & new from $11.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music set for the budding maestro, November 24, 2003
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Toy)
My three year old got this for her birthday and loves playing with all the instruments. The instruments all work well and make great sounds. Everything has held up well with the exception of the tamborine. The paper top ripped pretty soon after we started playing with it. But it still makes a nice jingle sound and is still played with.

Folkmanis Monkey Hand Puppet
Folkmanis Monkey Hand Puppet
Offered by SALES 4 YOU
Price: $15.85
49 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Puppet Maker I've found, November 21, 2003
This review is from: Folkmanis Monkey Hand Puppet (Toy)
We have several Folkmanis puppets including this monkey. My kids (both preschoolers) have been playing with this toy off and on for over a year and a half. It shows very little wear. Their favorite game is "pull the monkey's tail" which should tell you how durable it is. The fur is wonderfully soft, it's easy to make it come off as expressive. It is a little large for small hands to work. ...I have been so pleased with the quality of this company's product that I don't mind spending a little bit more or searching for them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7