Profile for M. Alessandri > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Alessandri RSS Feed

The Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set
The Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set
37 used & new from $225.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nitpickers need not apply, this set is brilliant, November 13, 2012
Full Disclosure: I am a HUGE Beatles nut, and I own the following:

- 2009 Stereo CD's
- 2009 Mono CD's
- All their other CD's (1, Live at the BBC, Capital albums, Let it Be Naked, etc)
- The BC-13 Vinyl box set, as well as Love, Anthology, and a few more vinys

My stereo system that I listen on is this:

- Technics 1200 MKII Turntable
- Cambridge 640p phono preamp
- Polk RTi 12 speakers with Carver preamp

So. I contemplated even writing this review because in the end, how many people will it TRULY effect? If you're considering spending $300+ on this set, then your mind is probably already made up. And if you're one of "those" people that I will refer to in this review who are of the opinion that digitally sourced vinyl = garbage, then why are you even here anyway? But I guess I just couldn't resist when I saw some of the negative thoughts from that particular peanut gallery. So here it goes, for better or for worse.

I received this set today and have currently listened (in order) from Please Please Me through Sgt. Pepper. I'll start with the set visually; it's unmatched. The box is great, the vinyl artwork is flawless, the sleeves are great, and the book is stunning. The book alone should immediately make you feel justified in your purchase, it's that good. I bet you say "Wow" the first time you start looking at it.

Now for the sound. There is always going to be a segment of the "hardcore" audiophile vinyl audience that is of the opinion that digitally sourced vinyl is pointless and that analog sourced vinyl is the only way to listen to it. I've been reading a lot of opinions from these types of people online leading up to the launch of this set and honestly, it's depressing. To me, these are people that are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to satisfy considering how much they obsess over every. single. little. nuance of whatever album/song/instrument/voice that's on their mind at the time. I've LITERALLY read opinions from people who said they had 12 different vinyl versions of Sgt Pepper saying that they can't imagine why they would buy this set. REALLY?! What exactly about this set makes 12 versions perfectly fine, but 13 out of the question? If you're someone who is a big Beatles fan and wants to enjoy their music on the format that is easily the most "personal" of all, then this set is really all you need.

Every album I've heard so far sounds fantastic. The instruments stand out and the voices sound great. I've done an A to B test of the BC-13 box (which is the precious analog that they all seem to love) and this set, and in no way is the BC-13 box "better." It may be different, fine. But "better" in all of this is so unbelievably subjective it's not worth getting in to. You'll find many people who say that the original 1960's pressings of these records sound the best, along with some German pressings of those years. Those records can also go for upwards of $100 EACH online. So basically you have to ask yourself the question is that slightly different sound worth spending a significantly larger amount of money to you? What the hardcore people don't understand is that the answer for so many of us is "no" and it's perfectly fine that it's no, because these new releases sound GREAT. I'm hearing little nuances that I haven't heard before, and I've literally heard these songs 1000's of times.

If you want an absolutely stunning Beatles vinyl set at a price of about $23/record, this is where you should begin and end. If you're absolutely obsessed with finding that "perfect" all analog pressing from the 1960's where Paul's voice sounds a little warmer on Got To Get You Into My Life, then why are you here in the first place? Paul McCartney himself would tell these people that they're crazy. This set sounds fantastic.
Comment Comments (85) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 1:15 PM PST

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
by J. K. Rowling
Price: $22.46
2408 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't need to say much, January 16, 2008
I'm a 27 year old male who got in on the Harry Potter series after all the books were released.

These books, and I really don't even know how to say it, tugged at my emotions like few "material" things in life ever have. My real life friends, family, of course those things can pull at me. But these books, I just really don't know how to convey how much I felt for the story, the characters, everything.

It's 10:30 on a Wednesday night, and I've just finished Deathly Hallows, ending the series. And the only thing I want to do is pick up the first book and start reading it again.

I really don't know what else to say. But these books will stay with me for a very, very long time.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The definition of Customer Service, August 6, 2007
I purchased an HDTV on Ebay a little while back, and recently the color wheel has started to go out on it. I filed a claim with SquareTrade, as I had purchased the warranty on the TV. They were immediately helpful, informative, and my claim was filed, processed, and completed within a week! I couldn't ask for better Internet service in regards to a company taking care of its customer. Thank you very much, and I will without a doubt refer you to any of my friends who make internet purchases with your warranties available!