Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for Christopher L. Manning > Reviews

Browse

Christopher L. M...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Christopher L. Manning RSS Feed (Duncanville, TX United States)

Xbox 360 HD DVD Player
Xbox 360 HD DVD Player
Offered by S&D Wholesale Online
Price: $76.15
47 used & new from $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars 360 HD DVD DRIVE PLAYS ALL HD DVDS, May 7, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Please ignore claims made by other reviews that the 360 hd dvd drive wont play combo format HD DVDs. This is a complete lie, 360s HD DVD plays any and all HD DVDs period. The only problems are w/discs that are problems on many other players not just the 360 drive (children of men, good sheppard ect...) These problems are w/the discs themselves not the drive/players.

The Sweet Escape
The Sweet Escape
Price: $5.99
224 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I must be taking crazy pills!!!, December 17, 2006
This review is from: The Sweet Escape (Audio CD)
Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid or perhaps I am in fact taking crazy pills either one of these could be cause for my immense enjoyment of Gwen Stefani's new album "The Sweet Escape". Or it could be that I had little to no real expectations beyond a decent pop album from my fave platinum blonde bomb shell....though I ended up with a disc that was not only above average, but far superior to her solo debut.

You see though I liked L.A.M.B. it took it for what it was. A cute pop record from an artitst who either was smart enough (or frankly naïve enough) to write songs for 16 yr old girls. Eitehr way it payed off as the album was a success...and it should have been. It was a fun electro pop/hip hop party record that did everything it should have done....that is to say rock the party.

So that leaves us with the new record. If you listen to the first track only (the hollaback esque "Wind it up") you might think this album will end up being merely L.A.M.B. part 2 with all the pitfalls that plague yr average Hollywood franchise sequel. This seems to be what most are saying about The Sweet Escape. I would probably agree with this assessment only I chose to continue listening to the album. Having done so I discovered that not only is Gwen's sophomore solo effort superior to her debut its probably one of the more daring pop records I've listened to in a while. This is a thoroughly modern record, unlike the decidedly retro L.A.M.B. On my first listen I remember thinking how weird some of this music was (well for a pop record) but it worked. I found myself playing the disc repeatedly and yes...singing along. I know I'm a dork, but that fact aside I think the fact that one can sing along is kind of a good thing.

Ok so lets break it down to the pro's and conts. In the pro column I would have to put the fact that this album have wonderfull pop ballads such as "Early Winter" and the wonderfull "4 in the morning" Quite honestly these two songs alone are worth the price of admission as they are better than any ballad on the first record for sure and arguably her best solo efforts to date. One other for the pro column has to be that this album as a whole dosnt seem to be so blatanly targeted to 16 yr olds...to anyone older than that target demographic this is a good thing.

Now to be fair lets have some cons. As a amateur dj I would have to say that there are few tracks on this record I would feel comfortable dropping at a party. There simply aren't any songs that are as "hot" as "What you waiting for" or "Hollaback girl". To many this means the record is a disappointment....that's just not the case to me. To my way of thinking there exists a time for all music. Party records though fun whilst drinking it up and hitting on the ladies get old in just about any other social (or non social) setting. But if having great but shakeing tunes is a criteria then this album might disappoint (when compared to other artists making wonderfull party records these days)

Justice League Heroes - Xbox
Justice League Heroes - Xbox
Offered by tax-free
Price: $59.99
50 used & new from $4.07

4.0 out of 5 stars arcade style fun for everyone, October 18, 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
i know they call this an action rpg...but lets face it...this is a classic arcade style beat 'em up in the tradition of (instert any classic aracade beat 'em up here...though smash-tv comes to mind). it should be noted that this has "rpg" elements. that is to say that the player can customize which power and or ability they improved want baced on gained experience ect...

its a fun game for sure...and even more fun if you are a dc comics geek like me. naturaly this game is getting alot of comparisons to marvel ultimate alliance. many say that this is inferior due to its lack of playable characters as well as the fact that one isnt able to chose there own team. This all may be true...to a non dc fan. but if you are like me...then the chance to play a rockin' game w/all the core characters from the dc verse is something i just cant turn down.

Star Wars Trilogy (Widescreen Edition Without Bonus Disc)
Star Wars Trilogy (Widescreen Edition Without Bonus Disc)
DVD ~ Kenny Baker
15 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to save some $$, and just want the moves...then this is the set for you!, September 12, 2006
Please ignore all the silly fanboys complaining about the new graphics, and redundancy of this set. Quite honestly this set is for people who aren't as hard-core and don't care for all the extra stuff...but still want the films themselves. If that sounds like you then this is the set you should pick up. Though I understand the fanboy complaints, they are ultimately futile as this set is geared towards a specific group of people who don't care about all their quibbles. They just dig Star Wars!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2011 2:00 PM PDT

Odditorium Or Warlords of Mars
Odditorium Or Warlords of Mars
Offered by Uni-Media Outlet
Price: $20.88
45 used & new from $0.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Back to "...Come Down" form, September 18, 2005
First off let me say that I'm sick to death of reviews of this album consistently mentioning that documentary they were featured in and the other band featured in it. Yes i've seen it and yes i own it and yes I love it...but that's besides the point. This album has nothing to do w/ those things. For those who don't understand or just plain dislike this album go back and listen to there first two albums. I for one loved "Tales from urban bohemia" and "Monkey house" but longed for the tripped out sounds of "..Come down". This album to me is a return to that form w/a bit of urban bohemia thrown into the mix (notably the horns and pseudo country flavor to some tracks)

And how dare Rolling stone accuse the band of merely trying to fulfill there contract. Its quite clear that the so called post documentary Dandy is a media creation that they believe whole heartedly. Its also abundantly clear who the rock press favors amongst the two bands in that documentary.... the one w/the most indie cred.

The Gift
The Gift
DVD ~ Cate Blanchett
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $17.20
206 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars I own this disc for one reason....Cate!!!, September 28, 2001
This review is from: The Gift (DVD)
Im in love w/Cate Blanchett..their I said it. So thats why im foolish enough to purchase a film Im really not that fond of. She is gorgous in it and gives an amazing preformance. Those two things are about the only good things that can be said about this mediocre film.
One look at the discs cover art(wich by the way isnt nearly as good as the films theatrical poster)and you are bombarded with images of a stellar cast. But unfortunately even a cast of this callaber cant overcome a prredictable plot, and heavy handed uninspired direction. Good preformances all around (especialy Keanu and Giavani) make the film bearable. And Cate is stunning, she sells the movie.
So this is a rental most definately...I say that only because you really only need to view this once. That is unless your a Cate fanatic like yours truely :)

Mer De Noms [Explicit]
Mer De Noms [Explicit]
Price: $11.99
134 used & new from $0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars It'll grow on you .....trust me!!, January 20, 2001
This review is from: Mer De Noms [Explicit] (Audio CD)
I sometimes wish Maynard would have assumed a pseudonym for the creation of this project. The enevitable comparisons to his day job are quite honestly what keep most people from really and truely listening to this fantastic record! Thats not to say people dont its just ...well if I have to hear one more of my friends say "well its just not Tool"(the afore mentioned day job) im gonna burst. So for those of you who feel this way, my apologies because you are missing one of modern rocks best new groups.