Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for voyager-sue > Reviews

Browse

voyager-sue's Profile

Customer Reviews: 95

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

voyager-sue "cooking maven" RSS Feed (Palm Springs)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
CyberStorm
CyberStorm
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I also thought Mather created a believable picture of what would happen in the wake of a total breakdown in services and communi, June 20, 2016
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
Mather has created a scenario that is all too believable, though it depends on a lot of coincidental disasters at the same time. But as the author says, there are thousands of hacker events every day. I also thought Mather created a believable picture of what would happen in the wake of a total breakdown in services and communication in a city like New York. The little band of "refugees" were resourceful and inventive in handling the crisis. They set a fine example of sharing and organizing. Unlike some other reviewers, I was relieved in the last couple of chapters when the sun came out and all was explained.

Nobody's Fool (Vintage Contemporaries)
Nobody's Fool (Vintage Contemporaries)
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Russo gets right into the souls of these small town people, June 18, 2016
This is possibly the most profound and deep book I’ve ever read. I don’t want to go too far in this religious comparison, but it seems that like Jesus, Russo finds meaning among the “least of these.” Having finished both “Nobody’s Fool” and “Everybody’s Fool,” I actually started reading another book. Halfway through, I went back to these two, searching for parts I wanted to re-read and understand more deeply. I spent an hour or two, reading several pages at a time, and with re-reading I was even more impressed with this author’s acumen. This interest was partly fueled by the Book Club Guide at the end of Everybody’s Fool. I’m not the kind of person who enjoys re-reading favorite books, so this surprised me. I’m not going to recap the plot as that’s been done, but I wish I could give this book more than 5 stars. I mean both books.

The Plan: Eliminate the Surprising "Healthy" Foods That Are Making You Fat--and Lose Weight Fast
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, June 2, 2016
Admittedly, I didn't read the whole book and I didn't try the diet. When I got to day one of the plan and saw Flax Granola, I balked. OK, it isn't the dreaded oatmeal with added flax like they sell in Whole Foods. You make the granola yourself from a cup of flaxseeds and 1/2 cup of water, then dehydrating same. Since women are supposed to have a cup of flax granola, I see huge diarrhea ahead. I use 1-2 teaspoons of ground flax for fiber and that's plenty.

Also, I checked with WebMD and here's what they say: "There is some concern that taking large amounts of flaxseed could block the intestines due to the bulk-forming laxative effects of flaxseed. Flaxseed should be taken with plenty of water to prevent this from happening." Well she does say to drink plenty of water, so hopefully this won't mean a trip to the emergency room.

Her big 6 reactive foods are oatmeal, salmon, turkey, beans, Greek yogurt. I almost never eat oatmeal, seldom turkey or beans, and I had weight problems before yogurt was ever marketed in the US. Also she has broccoli on the first day, a food she describes as goitrogenic. OK, cooking the broccoli reduces the goitrogenic nature of it, but it doesn't seem like the cleanest diet to me.

I'm glad other people are having good luck on this diet. I'm going to take advantage of Amazon's return policy and return it. And I still have one question: Why did I bother to pour more money into the multi-billion dollar diet industry?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2016 7:46 AM PDT

Kyo-Dophilus 9 Probiotic Formula for Intestinal Balance and Immune Support (180 Capsules)
Offered by OxKom
Price: $25.31
50 used & new from $25.31

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, May 20, 2016
I bought this because it contains L. Gasseri, which is touted for weight loss. I had to stop taking it because it caused constipation. I couldn't prove it was the KyoDophilus9, but I couldn't think of any other reason. Plus, probiotics keep you regular, so even if the cause was something else, the KyoDophilus9 didn't improve it. I switched to Hyperbiotics pro-15, which also contains L. Gasseri, and I'm very happy with it. No weight loss of course, but I feel it is a quality product.
PRO-15: #1 Recommended Best Probiotic Supplement: 60 Once Daily Time Release Pearls - 15x More Effective than Capsules with Patented Delivery Technology - Easy to Swallow - Promotes Digestive Health

Mustela Bebe Dermo-Cleansing, 16.90 fl.oz
Mustela Bebe Dermo-Cleansing, 16.90 fl.oz
Price: $16.50
3 used & new from $16.50

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy using this cleanser, March 15, 2016
I enjoy using this cleanser. It's for Babies, and I found it using an app called Skin Deep, which rates cosmetic products by how many dangerous chemicals they contain. It leaves my skin feeling soft and nice and I'm happy with it. I've tried many products and I don't know how many facial cleansers I've thrown away. This one is a keeper.

The Signature of All Things: A Novel
The Signature of All Things: A Novel
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My guess is it's not a story everyone would enjoy, but I certainly did, March 15, 2016
Amy Whitaker is possibly one of the most interesting characters ever written. She lived an extremely hide-bound life, raised by strict Dutch parents, isolated from all but one friend, developing a passion for botany that made her famous. Every character in the book was unusual, well crafted, interesting. My guess is it's not a story everyone would enjoy, but I certainly did.

Walk on Earth a Stranger (Gold Seer Trilogy)
Walk on Earth a Stranger (Gold Seer Trilogy)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A formulaic book, but the formula works. I ..., March 15, 2016
A formulaic book, but the formula works. I couldn't put it down, and fretted during the whole last half if the romance element was going to work out.

The Baroness: The Search for Nica, the Rebellious Rothschild
The Baroness: The Search for Nica, the Rebellious Rothschild
Price: $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars even loved, jazz musicians were faced with, March 15, 2016
This is a well written very interesting story of the Rothschilds, and especially of Nica. The history of this wealthy and influential family was interesting, as well as the apparent dissolution of the wealth as generations were less interested in making money. The author thinks it may have been interbreeding that affected the mentality of the clan. I suspect since the original Rothschilds were extremely limited in what they were allowed to do by anti-Jewish laws, and future generations didn't have those restrictions and plus they grew up rich, they had more paths available than theire ancestors.

Since I'm a jazz fan, The story of her years in NY were of special interest to me. I think most of the world didn't realize the privations these very famous, even loved, jazz musicians were faced with. The Baroness literally supported a generation of Jazz Greats!

When Breath Becomes Air
When Breath Becomes Air
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend it to anyone who questions the meaning of life, March 15, 2016
What a story, not just of the doctor's death, but of his life. I recommend it to anyone who questions the meaning of life, and, even, of death.

Anker Multi-Angle Aluminum Stand for Tablets, e-readers and Smartphones, Compatible with iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy / Tab, Google Nexus, HTC, LG, Nokia Lumia, OnePlus and More- (Silver)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very happy with this little stand, March 15, 2016
I'm very happy with this little stand. It's smaller than I imagined, made for a phone, but it fits my Kindle just fine and I tried a tablet and it seemed fine also. Yes, do remember to push the button when you adjust it. It's very sturdy, and the bottom is rubberized so when I prop it on an inflatable pillow to raise it up higher on my lap I don't worry about puncturing the pillow.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10