Profile for Busy Mom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1221

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Busy Mom RSS Feed (Ohio)

Price: $16.21
2 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Second Bathroom, October 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I just did a review for InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy,and I used that one for my own bathroom. However, I did request this one for my sons' bathroom and they love it. It is solid (not flimsy like the ones you might get at a drugstore) and sturdy. It hangs nicely over the shower head and best of all, it holds quite a bit. I was able to fit in four shampoo bottles and their soap on the top rack. Then on the lower rack, I put their cleansing stuff there. Even better, is there are two hooks for wash cloths. They hold up quite nicely.

You can't see it, but if you have daughters who are shaving their legs, there are two spots for two razors. And it's sturdy.

This is just perfect and the price is even better than expected. We all love it!

InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy, Satin
InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy, Satin
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Declutter Your Shower with This ..., October 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am in the process of selling my house and needed to organize my shampoo and conditioners into one cozy spot. This fits the bill. I was able to clear off my collection of shampoos and soaps and organize them into this one shower caddy.

And I love having a special place for my shaving razor.

The only complaint I have with this shower caddy is that the hooks for your razor slots are just a little too narrow. I hang my razor on one side and on the other side, I hang my washcloth and those hooks are just a tad bit narrow for me to hang it. Other than that, this is a great idea and definitely a great organizing tool!!

The Deepest Secret: A Novel
The Deepest Secret: A Novel
by Carla Buckley
Price: $19.71
139 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely An All-Nighter ..., September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have read Carla Buckley's books before. I first picked her books because she's an author from Ohio. Secondly, I read her author interview in one of the monthly magazines and found out she's from Ohio, so I started looking for her books. Thirdly, she writes of environmental issues and she scares the beejus out of me.

This book is even better than her previous books. I could not put it down. The basic story line is incredibly interesting. Eve is a stay-at-home mother who is taking care of her children. There's Melissa, a surly teenage girl with secrets of her own. And there's Tyler, a boy trapped into his own home due to his condition. He is fatally allergic to light. The whole family lives behind heavy black out curtains, eat dinner only at night when it's safest for him to come out of his room and even then, he has to be completely covered so no accidental light can harm him. David, the kids' father and Eve's husband is working in Washington D.C., and is rarely home.

A tragedy happens and not only did it affect Eve's family, it affected the cul de sac on which they lived. Turns out that everyone has secrets hidden from their neighbors.

As the book progresses, more secrets spill out and Buckley keeps you turning the pages with all of the suspense she builds up. I find myself guessing what was going to happen next. I find myself turning the pages, anxiously waiting to see what happens next and I have to force myself not to peek ahead. Peeking ahead just ruins the semblance of the suspense that Buckley works to build up.

It has been a long time since I have read a book that keeps me up most of the night reading. This one is definitely one of those. Buckley tackles a subject that hits a little too close to home, a woman's desire to protect her own family at any cost.

InterDesign Med Plus Dental Center, Clear
InterDesign Med Plus Dental Center, Clear
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Kiddie Bathroom!, September 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I know one normally don't get excited about a toothbrush holder, but this mom does!! After dealing with messy toothpaste on the bathroom sink counter top, this is a definite must-get for anyone. The toothpaste holder is just awesome especially if you use toothpaste with the flip top. I hate toothpaste with the flip top because it's messy. This dental center hides the mess and is also easy to clean.

The only problem I have with this design is that the toothbrush holder is a little too wide especially on the bottom. I have lost toothbrushes through the bottom spaces. That should be a little closer together.

It's a great idea and it's perfect for the kiddie bathroom. There is no more kids' asking for the toothpaste ... it's all right there.

Stillwater
Stillwater
by Nicole Lea Helget
Price: $3.36
58 used & new from $3.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical, Haunting Tale ..., September 21, 2014
This review is from: Stillwater (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had finished this book last night and it is still haunting me to this hour. I cannot get over the images of Clement and Angel being separated from birth. Born unwanted, unloved and with their birth mother abandoning them, not because she wanted to but because she was escaping from her husband, who is also married with two other women. Angel gets adopted by the wealthy couple in Stillwater, who had just lost their baby daughter. Clement gets left behind.

This then becomes a novel of which twin has a rougher life, and their lives are filled with secrets, madness and sorrow. Their biological father's story is entwined as well as the people involved raising the twins. It covers a span of a lifetime and within those lifetime, the issues of slavery is addressed, the annexation of Texas is mentioned and Civil War affects their lives. However, as you're reading this book, the major issues of their time are just outside events that have an impact on their lives but didn't affect the conversations among them.

This is not a deeply insightful book. I get the impression the characters each are drawn carefully to not intersect with the others. They all seem to circle around Angel, even though Clement is her twin and interacts with every one of these characters throughout his entire life.

This book would have rated a five but for the fact that it feels incomplete. The stories all just leave the reader hanging and it's hard to feel like it's an awesome book when there are so many questions left unanswered.

We All Looked Up
We All Looked Up
by Tommy Wallach
Price: $13.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Perspective on the Apocalypse Theory, September 16, 2014
This review is from: We All Looked Up (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is not your typical book on the Apocalypse. It is not even your typical teen book. This is a nitty-gritty look at life in general. It reminds me in a way of a reality show where each of the character takes turn speaking about their lives. And yet, each character shows a deeper side of them that most kids don't reveal to others or to adults in their lives or even to themselves.

This book in a way reminds me of the popular 80s movie, "The Breakfast Club," where you have all these different students from different walks of life, forced to spend time together on a Saturday detention. Only this time, the labels have been renamed: Athlete, the Slut, the Slacker and the Overachiever. This time, there's an asteroid that is coming to demolish planet Earth and this time, there's the deeper look into what the universe holds. This is a reflective look into life and whether or not these labels that people cling to really matter in the deeper scheme of life.

It is a thought-provoking novel. It is also one that will hold your attention till the last page has been turned. I am an adult so I can imagine how a teen or even an adult who is in their early 20s would view this book. It has an effect on me and not only from a mother's point of view, but from a reader's viewpoint. This is a book that disturbs me and then makes me question why it disturbs me. I can only imagine how younger readers would find this book to be.

It is a probing look into the labels that people put on others and the reasons why they put labels on one another, whether it is caused by society, kids or parents. It is also a probing look into friendship, what defines friendship and what even defines love, relationship and all these tough questions that people either love to tackle or ignore.

Despite its dark theme, there is a surprising ray of light into this novel. No matter how dark life seems to get even in the path of a hurtling asteroid, there is always an optimistic ray of hope that shines through. The author has managed to convey his message in a way that isn't predictable. Wallach takes you on a journey that is unforgettable. This book is not an action thriller like a lot of the popular books are. This book will draw you in and take you on a trip that will leave you amazed and grateful.

I only wish I had read this when I was a bit younger. It's one thing to read it as an adult. I can only imagine what it would be like to be a senior in high school reading this for the first time.

** As a parent of two twelve-year-olds, I would recommend on kids waiting to read this book until they are a bit more mature. This book is descriptive with its sexuality and violence themes. I don't believe in censorship at all, but I do believe in withholding certain books from my kids until I feel that they are ready to tackle more adult themes in life. As a parent, I feel better advising other parents of tweens that they should read the book first, so they can discuss it with their kids. This book really should be marketed to older teens. **

Bissell 1305 PowerGlide Pet Vacuum
Bissell 1305 PowerGlide Pet Vacuum
Price: $149.99
2 used & new from $149.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Suction and Good Vacuum Cleaner., August 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a dog who loves to shed all over the place and this vacuum is perfect for picking it up. I have a mixture of hardwood floors and carpet throughout my house and I love the fact that I can just switch it over to running it over my vinyl floors. It makes it so much easier to clean my house.

The only problem I have with it is the accessories all don't fit on the cleaner. I like having them all together and not have to hunt for it throughout the house. That part alone makes it a four star.

I have an older model of the Simplicity Vacuum cleaner, which I love. This vacuum cleaner comes in a close second. It is lighter and easier to move than my Simplicity and I still have to dump the dirt into the trash, This will come in handy especially in the winter time when my dog is shedding again.

8/19/14

Turtle Beach Ear Force Z11 Amplified Gaming Headset for PC and Mobile Devices  (TBS-2145-011)
Turtle Beach Ear Force Z11 Amplified Gaming Headset for PC and Mobile Devices (TBS-2145-011)
Price: $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for the gamer in your life, August 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son is the one who uses this headset and he loves it. I have not tried it out yet but hope to eventually. He says it rocks.

He uses it for gaming purposes as well as listening to his cd player. I love the volume adjuster on the headset. It does tend to get a bit loud where I can hear it while sitting next to him. It comes across as static and I am not a fan of static. He loves it though. He says that it is clear and he loves listening to music while using this headset. He wears a bi-lateral cochlear implant and it works great for him.

I have no idea what the prices are for these types of headphones. For a tween, I normally wouldn't spend this much only to have it broken in a few months. He says it's so much sturdier than the last set of headsets that we bought at Staples. (Don't ask me what the brand was for that headset as I don't know.)

It is a great gift to give to the gamer in your life. And the price is right. (I think it is.)

8/19/14

The Agincourt Bride
The Agincourt Bride
by Joanna Hickson
Price: $11.97
126 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable Story, July 14, 2014
This review is from: The Agincourt Bride (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ever since I watched the movie "Henry V" twenty years ago, I have found myself being interested in that particular time period. When I saw that Vine was offering a book written about Katherine, the ancestress of the Tudor dynasty, I knew I had to pick this one.

This book is narrated by Mette, Katherine's wet-nurse and close friend. Katherine was raised in a convent until her mother's adviser deemed it necessary to bring her out to be wed to the conquering king from England. In the process of this novel, it took several years before Katherine was able to be wed to Henry and during this time, her life was fraught with conspiracies, danger and secrets. Mette stuck close to her the entire time.

The only problem I have with this book is that I have to wait another 8-9 months for its sequel. I am not one to wait for a sequel if I can help it. I want to know what happens ... now! So, all in all, this is a fun historical fiction novel to read. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes historical fiction.

7/14/14

No River Too Wide (Goddesses Anonymous) (English Edition)
No River Too Wide (Goddesses Anonymous) (English Edition)
by Emilie Richards
Price: $11.32
76 used & new from $2.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Again Richards Reminds Me Why I Love Her Books ..., July 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have always loved Emilie Richards' books, starting with her "Whiskey Island" and "Iron Lace" books. This is my second book in the Goddesses series.I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Richards covers domestic violence in this one in such a way that you cannot help but relate to Jan, the main character of this book. Jan has been married to Rex Stoddard, a pillar of the community and of his church for many years. When an opportunity presented itself, she manages to escape with the help of an underground movement called Moving On. Only hitch is, she wants to see her daughter, Harmony, before she moves on to living a new life with new identity in a new place to keep Rex from ever finding her.

Harmony struggles with raising her daughter as a single mother and struggles with understanding why her mother, Jan, stayed with her father for so long. Then there is Harmony's friend, Taylor, who is opening up a new store downtown Asheville and finding herself attracted to the new stranger in town who is teaching self defense classes.

There are all these stories tied in to make one big novel and while this might sound confusing, I can assure you, it's not. It is a great story to bury your nose into ... and these characters are unforgettable.

Like her earlier works, Richards know how to captivate an audience and keep them enchanted from the first page to the last.

7/14/14