Profile for Busy Mom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1271

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Busy Mom RSS Feed (Ohio)

Price: $15.89
4 used & new from $15.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Finding Some Relief., February 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am leery of trying vitamin or herbal medicines just as I am of trying prescription medicine. I suffer more from the side effects than from the issue itself. However, I am anxious to get a full night's sleep and my energy level back, that I have decided to try this. The last one I tried is imported from China and I've stopped taking it because I didn't trust it to be safe. (It worked though, it really did work especially with the mood swings.) I never had any luck with hormonal treatments or therapy as it just makes me gain more weight and makes me uncomfortable.

I did try this and so far I really haven't noticed any difference, other than being slightly more energetic to get things done. I know that it is a 30 day supply so it will take some time for it to work on my body. I do not expect a miracle cure but am hoping that eventually, I will find some relief with some of the insomnia and night sweats. I know that exercise, getting rid of caffeine and watching your diet all helps ease the menopausal symptoms, but sometimes, you just want a little more relief.

So far this seems to be helping a little bit. But it is still too early to tell.

Barilla Veggie Pasta, Elbows, 12 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Barilla Veggie Pasta, Elbows, 12 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Price: $15.64

5.0 out of 5 stars A Better Alternate to Regular Pasta, February 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We love pasta in our house. If we could, we'd eat it more than once every two weeks. We are trying to eat healthier and I personally do not care for whole wheat pasta because it tends to get bitter after a few days as leftovers. It also tends to get rather stringy and hard. (We love leftovers in our household.) This veggie pasta is delicious and there really isn't any difference in the taste. It is not as stringy as whole wheat pasta and my kids never noticed the color of the pasta as it was covered by sauce and meat.

I add vegetables to our sauce so that helps make the pasta more nutritious and adds to the nutrition value. It also freezes well as my husband likes to take pasta dishes with him to work as his meal. It is very filling and one box makes a lot of pasta.

It is a good alternate to whole wheat pasta. And we can enjoy eating this without feeling too guilty that we're having pasta again.

A Sudden Light: A Novel
A Sudden Light: A Novel
by Garth Stein
Price: $18.86
200 used & new from $1.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystical and Haunting, February 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have read Garth Stein's "Racing in the Rain" and absolutely loved it. I was kind of leery of picking up this book since in my experience, second books are not always as good as the first book by an author that I have read.

I loved this book. I really did. It, in some ways, is much better than his previous book. Stein's books are totally different from each other and I like that. This one started off slow and I wasn't sure that I was going to like it. Half way through the book, I would find myself reading more and more till I couldn't put the book down. It is such a lovely read, whimsical, mystical and I couldn't wait to see how it all came together.

In this book, Trevor, a fourteen-year-old boy, followed his dad to Washington to settle the affairs of the house, and to meet his grandfather for the first time. Trevor's mom decided to go back home to England while Trevor and his dad, Sam decides to persuade his grandfather to sign over the deed to the land and sell it. Trevor's great-grandfather was a lumber baron back in the 1800s, early 1900s. He desecrated the land, clearing it of the ancient trees. His son, Benjamin, was to be the heir, only he died before he could get married. (If I say anything more, it'll just spoil the story.)

Trevor discovers the history while exploring the old house and the barn, as fourteen-year-old boys tend to do ... snoop and find the dirty secrets that everyone has been hiding. The reader is taken for a ride right along with Trevor.

This is a mystery, a coming-of-age story and a bit of historical fiction all tied into one novel. In the beginning, the book starts out slow but after awhile, it just starts pulling the reader into the story and once you're hooked, you can't wait to finish the book because you just have to know what is going to happen next.

It is one of the few mysteries where I couldn't predict the outcome and I love that. This is perfect reading for those times when you do have time to read a book.

5 PACK: Single Layer Cotton Spandex 4.5" Raw Edge Sports & Yoga Headband (One Size, POLYESTER 5 Pack: Blk/N.Pink/N.Coral/N.Lime/Silver)
Offered by Kalon Clothing
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for thick curly hair., February 25, 2015
I have very thick curly hair. It is a challenge to keep the hair off my face especially as I am doing chores, exercising or whatever it is. I have looked for something like these for a long time. I love them. I love its simplicity. I love the fact that I can wash them and they don't shrink. I love the colors. The price is perfect as well.

I wish I had found these a long time ago as I would have saved myself so much money.

As soon as I can, I plan on buying more in different colors. This is a must-have in every busy woman's life.

OXO Good Grips Chopped Salad Scissors, White/Green
OXO Good Grips Chopped Salad Scissors, White/Green
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra Sharp and Perfect for Cutting Up Salad leaves, February 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am thrilled to have gotten this. I use fresh herbs in my cooking as much as possible and the only scissors that I have are usually for cutting raw meat and I hate using that on my salads or herbs. I end up chopping them, which to be honest, isn't very effective.

This is very sharp and I love the safety latch at the end of the handles to keep the blades together. I have tweens and they're not always that thoughtful when it comes to putting things away or using them. This safety feature is a peace of mind for this mom.

It chops up my salad and herbs quite nicely and it gives me a peace of mind that I won't have to worry about cross-contamination between raw meat and raw veggies.

It offers a good grip and it is stiff at first but I didn't have too many issues with it. It is a bit on the pricey side (at $19.99), which might deter some people on the price but it is of good quality and I would definitely include this for anyone who is getting married or moving into their first home. This is a nice gift to give to those who enjoy eating salads or using fresh herbs in their meals.

DHP Aria Futon, White
DHP Aria Futon, White
Price: $224.89
5 used & new from $153.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, Comfortable and Stylish, February 18, 2015
This review is from: DHP Aria Futon, White (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Just got it today and it exceeded my expectations. I only picked it because my husband has been living in an apartment for the last few months due to a job transfer and we're waiting for our house to sell. He needs furniture. We need a couch to sit on when we are visiting. This fits the bill.

My husband is 5'10, so I don't think he'll be sleeping on it since he's tall. However, our boys are under five feet and I am five feet tall. We can sit on this without feeling that it's too close to the ground. It is a bit lower than our regular furniture but it is not uncomfortable. In our next house, I can see this in the guest bedroom or family room where the boys can sit on it while playing video games. It is a bit low to the ground. But it is not uncomfortable.

We tested it out by lying on it. It is very firm. I personally like it firm. Whether or not we can sleep on it for very long (like every night) remains to be seen, but for an extra spare bed, it will do just fine. It is not very wide, so I don't see more than one person lying on it to sleep. I've slept on futons before and never liked them because of the bar in the middle. This one is so comfortable that you cannot feel anything under its mattress. I wish I had one of these in my college years!

It came in a big box. I think lugging it in the house from the garage is probably the worst part of the assembly. It's that heavy and awkward. However, with my twelve-year-old son, we were able to unpack it, assemble it and put it up within half an hour. Putting the legs on is definitely the easiest part of this whole deal.

We are thrilled with it. It does clean off right away because my other 12 year accidentally smudged it with his dirty hands and it came right off. No problem.

This is definitely a stylish piece. I am hopeful that it will last a long time as I foresee a future with sleepovers at our house and people taking advantage of its comfortable seating.

The Heiresses: A Novel
The Heiresses: A Novel
by Sara Shepard
Price: $18.92
109 used & new from $0.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick Read, perfect for that lazy afternoon., February 17, 2015
This review is from: The Heiresses: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It is a quick read. It is definitely a mystery. I have not read Pretty Little Liars or any of her other books (or shows). I picked this book so I would have something light to read during this crazy cold month.

It is definitely a quick read. It is definitely a lighter read. It's a mystery with a smidge of romance thrown in it. It is not a deep, thought-provoking mystery either. It is rather predictable in spots, though it was fun trying to figure out who the mysterious stalker was.

This novel focuses on five cousins, heiresses to the great Saybrook fortune. Their grandfather made his fortune off of diamonds. However, there is a curse associated with their family. The curse became even more personal when their oldest cousin, Poppy, was found dead in front of the office building. Suspected at first to be suicide, the remaining four cousins were horrified when they heard it was murder.

And it looks like the murderer was coming after each of them. There's Corrine, a bride getting ready for her wedding and hiding a secret of her own; then there's Astor, her sister, the wild child of the bunch. Natasha has disinherited herself from the family fortune years previous and there's Rowan, the family lawyer and Poppy's closet confidant of the group.

It is a fun mystery, rather tame really in comparison to a lot of the mystery books out there. If you have a couple of hours to spare, this book would fit the bill nicely.

Keystone KSTHW50LAG Warm Mist Humidifier, 1.3-Gallon
Keystone KSTHW50LAG Warm Mist Humidifier, 1.3-Gallon
Price: $44.99
10 used & new from $42.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, Efficient and Sturdy, February 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Even though we've been slammed with snow and ice, our house tends to get rather dry from the fireplace taking up the moisture in the air. This humidifier works quite nicely. I put it upstairs in one of the bedrooms and left all the bedroom doors opened so we all can benefit from the moist air as we sleep at night. It is really nice.

It's compact enough that it doesn't take up a lot of room. It is sturdy enough that I don't have to worry about it tipping over. It is quiet enough not to disturb our sleep. And it is efficient. I like it. I love the fact that it provides enough moisture in the air that we all don't get static charge every time we touch something else. It is so handy!!

The price is nice too. Other humidifiers are much more expensive but this is more affordable. It is a nice addition to our house. Hopefully, it doesn't break down after a few years like so many appliances do.

STAINMASTER Chainlink Area Rug, 5 by 8-Feet, Navy Blue
STAINMASTER Chainlink Area Rug, 5 by 8-Feet, Navy Blue
Price: $169.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Cozy Area Rug, February 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have this spot in front of my fire place where it is just heavily worn out. This area rug just fits it nicely and covers up the heavy traffic path really well.

The pattern is busy enough to hide the long dog hair (he's way overdue for a haircut but it's middle of winter) but not too busy that it would give me a headache just to look at it. It's dark blue with off white triangles. The blue tends to look black in certain lights according to my husband, who does not like black. In other light, it does look like a deep blue and very plush.

It is thick and plush, but not too plush where you end up filling a vacuum bag with fiber. It is sturdy enough to stay in one place, the corners do not turn up and it is just a very nice area rug. I know that if we have hardwood floors in our next house, this area rug will cover up the floor nicely and protect it even more from general wear and tear.

It is slightly more expensive than I would buy but since it is a well-known name, I'd pay the price for this. It is just an all-around sturdy area rug and great for the house.

Clara
Clara
by Kurt Palka
Price: $13.09
94 used & new from $0.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written Novel about WWII, February 15, 2015
This review is from: Clara (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a haunting read. It is lyrical story of an old woman who just buried her husband and her recollections of a time bygone. It is a story of ordinary Austrians who were caught up in the most horrid of war and its brutal aftermath. Clara was a young woman studying for her Ph.D and taking university classes when Hitler rose to power. Albert was the man she fell in love with and her parents disapproved of him. From heady university days where Clara listened to the greats lecture, (think Freud as an example) and discussed the theories that were sweeping Europe at the time; communism, socialism, democracy, and Plato. By the time WWII has ended, Clara was one of millions who were affected by the war.

It is very rare to find a book of ordinary people living their lives as best as they could under the daunting circumstances brought on by their leaders. The characters in this book seem to be rather naive about the world they are living in but considering that just about everything they read have been heavily censored by the Nazis in control (Nazi overtook Austria; they were never voted in as leaders), they couldn't listen to anything else other than what the Nazis ordered on their radios. They may not have been Jewish or Gypsies or Communists, whom the Nazis did everything they could to get rid of, but they were still affected by the Nazis' brutal regime. It didn't matter that Clara was an officer's wife, he was still an Austrian and he was still deployed at the front of the war.

It is an interesting perspective of a time where madness seems to reign and rational thought seems to have desisted. It is a beautifully written novel and I wish it was just a bit longer as I'd like to get to know Clara a bit more deeper than what this author has already given us. It is definitely a thoughtful piece of writing and one that is still haunting me a day later.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20