Profile for Busy Mom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1229

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Busy Mom RSS Feed (Ohio)

Price: $25.49
19 used & new from $25.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Family Activity, October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We admit that we are Legos family, only because that is what our sons have preferred over the years. They will assemble Mega Bloks but they prefer Legos. Don't ask me why, they just do. They have mentioned before that Mega Bloks don't stick together as well as their counterparts, but since they got this one for free, they enjoyed it.

It did not take them long to assemble this. They are not big fans of zombies. They both said the jail was their favorite part as they can use it while playing with other mini-figures. One of them would just assemble the pieces together after following the instructions then he'll use the pieces and parts with other things to create his own story board. The other one is more of a stickler when it comes to assembling things. He'll assemble them and leave them together and put them up on top of his desk.

In this case, they dismantled it just as quickly as they put it together. Since they're not fans of zombies, they are thinking of giving it to one of their cousins to play with, if their parents allow it.

According to my reviewers, they said it was fun, but they'll never play with it again.

Mega Bloks Halo UNSC Attack Mantis
Mega Bloks Halo UNSC Attack Mantis
Offered by B.A. Toys
Price: $79.99
5 used & new from $78.86

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Overpriced For Such a Simple Set, October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose this for my twelve year old sons who both play with Legos. We took it up to my husband's apartment one weekend so they could work on it with their dad. The instructions were not all that clear. And throughout the entire time they were assembling it, they would scramble around looking for missing parts ... so it was not organized. (Yes, they had all the parts, just not together as one would expect. I think there were several bags of parts tossed together in a weird way.)

It didn't come with batteries, so we had to make a run to Target the next day to get the batteries. We ran out of time to test it, so one of the boys put the batteries in that night and said it didn't work. We're still holding out judgement on that part of the process as we need to find the time to get more Triple A batteries.

The boys all had it assembled within half an hour. That didn't take a lot of time to assemble it. Here is the review from one of my sons: "Don't expect the battery holder to work with the wireless connection, it might not work, if it does, Cool, if it doesn't, oh well, at least it looks cool. The pieces are useful for extra parts, if you want extra parts. It is hard to take off the armor on the halo guy. The robot machine will not walk on it own when using the remote. You have to use your hands for it to walk. It can only rotate to its sides and front and back. It is fun to pretend to blow things up and win the battle in the imaginary world. i hope you like the set as much as I did."

It is not the same as Legos, as the boys will verify it. They still prefer to assemble Lego pieces more than Mega Bloks, but they both agreed that this was a fun family event.

OXO Good Grips Perfect Cut Twine Dispenser
OXO Good Grips Perfect Cut Twine Dispenser
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Had This All Along ..., October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admit it. I am a kitchen gadget nerd. I love cooking and baking and anything that helps keep the clutter in my kitchen to a minimal amount of fuss (and space), then I am a fan. If you're like me, you're always looking for twine in different spots of the kitchen (or for me, I usually end up looking for it in the garage). This twine dispenser is handy. It doesn't take up a lot of room (which is a huge plus in my favor since I have small counter-tops) and it's right there. Right next to the mixer. I cannot miss it as it is right there. I don't have to go hunting for twine since it's right there.

I love it.

This is easy to put together and to keep together. Just put the twine inside the hole, pull out as much as you need and cut it. No fuss. Just pull and cut and there you have your twine ready to wrap up some roast or to put a decorative touch on foil-wrapped banana bread to give to the neighbors.

The price is just right and I love the fact that I can get refills on Amazon. This is something I wish I had a long time ago. It is a must-need for every kitchen! (So if you know someone who is moving into their first apartment or is getting married ... this is the perfect house-warming gift for them even if they're not a cook.)

Maybe One Day
Maybe One Day
by Melissa Kantor
Price: $12.22
83 used & new from $1.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just Another Cancer Book ..., October 18, 2014
This review is from: Maybe One Day (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before you dismiss this as another kid with cancer book, you ought to read the blurb. It's what drew me in. It is from the best friend's perspective and it is a poignant one. Zoe and Olivia are best friends. They've been best friends ever since they started dancing in the ballet school in Manhattan. They both were cut out of dancing before their sophomore year. But their friendship remains strong and loyal.

One day, they were just typical teenage girls, struggling with homework load, crushes on boys and the normal activities that are typical for teenagers in upper middle class society. Then the next day, Olivia gets a diagnosis of cancer. It's not a curable type of cancer as it has a high fatalistic rate compared to other cancers. She has leukemia but it's the "old people" leukemia and extremely rare for young people to get it.

Zoe is the main character of this book and this is the story of her struggles, her anguish and her fears. She falls in love with a high school senior who also happens to be Olivia's crush and Olivia's brother's best friend. And while a few reviewers didn't care for Zoe as the narrator, I liked her just fine. She's not as goodie good shoes or as "perfect" as a lot of characters tend to be. I can relate to her more than I can relate to Olivia's mother as a character ... and I am a mother.

The reason why I didn't give this a five star rating is because the diagnosis happened so quickly, then almost immediately Olivia is on chemo. Realistically, that doesn't happen that fast in America's medical facilities or at least not in my experience and I have had several people in my life fight cancer. Some have died of cancer. No matter the age, it is heartbreaking watching someone die of cancer and this book is no different. Cancer stinks. That is all there is to it.

This is a good read. I personally love John Green's book, "The Fault in Our Stars" but it isn't fair to compare this book to Green's book because they are totally different, even if the subject matter is similar. I enjoy reading about Zoe and Olivia's friendship, as it is a special relationship. It is just a heartbreaking tale of friendship, love and loss in modern America.

Nest
Nest
by Esther Ehrlich
Price: $13.59
70 used & new from $3.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story of Life ..., October 14, 2014
This review is from: Nest (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book. So many YA books I have read lately have been filled with teenage angst and dark thoughts and other issues that tweens don't normally face (at least I hope not just yet!). I have been misled by the YA label so many times recently.

This book is perfect for the younger set. By younger set, I am talking about the 9-12 year olds. Actually, as a mom, I really enjoyed this book.

Naomi, also known as Chirp to her family members and closest friends, is an eleven-year-old girl who loves birds. She loves to study birds and their habits and living off of the Cape gives her plenty of opportunities to study birds. She is also in the sixth grade and is happiest with her mother, a gracious woman who is also a dancer. Then her mother gets some terrible news and the news affected Chirp's family in so many different ways that it resonates beautifully and sadly.

Chirp becomes friends with the neighbor boy, Joey, who lives across the street from them. When tragedy struck Chirp's household, Chirp turns to Joey for understanding.

I love how this book is narrated by Chirp. It is refreshing to read a story through a young girl's eyes. There is so much innocence in the story that it is heartbreaking in spots when one realizes that someday, even a young character like Chirp, will have to grow up. Her love for her family is so prevalent, especially her confusion when her mother was diagnosed with an illness that kept her from dancing.

This is a heartbreaking tale of loss, love and friendship. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katharine Peterson. I love that story and "Nest" reminds me a lot of this one. "Nest" is more about the friendship one finds unexpectedly in the duration of life. "Nest" is told from a girl's point of view and it is told beautifully.

Out of all of the YA books I have read lately, this one is my favorite.

Neoflam Retro 3qt Covered Cast Aluminum Stockpot with Ecolon Non-Stick Coating
Neoflam Retro 3qt Covered Cast Aluminum Stockpot with Ecolon Non-Stick Coating
Price: $61.59
2 used & new from $42.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Soup Fanatics!, October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was so excited to get this stock pot! I love soups and am always looking for different recipes to make on the stove-top for these cool nights. And this 3 qt stockpot fits the bill. I love the color and am thinking of redoing my entire kitchen in this same color (in my next house). It's an elegant baby blue and if I was going to take soup to a potluck, this pot would not shame me as perhaps my older, sturdier pots would.

I am not sure about the vent but I don't always use the lid when I am cooking as I am standing there most of the time, so I am not too concerned about it. I am grateful for other reviewers who mentioned it so I was on the outlook for it when I was making soup the other night. As for the handles, I am used to metal handles that heat up quickly, so this does not surprise me. I have been burned often enough to know that nothing is what it appears to be.

This is a smallish stock pot so I wouldn't be able to double some of my recipes in it. I have thought about using it to reheat soups in while something else is baking, so I might try that sometime.

Overall, I like this pot. It is easy to clean up. Love the nonstick coating and so far, everything has been going smoothly while cooking. It is a cook's dream come true.

Benson Mills Prego Waffleweave Fabric Tablecloth, White, 60-Inch-by-84-Inch
Benson Mills Prego Waffleweave Fabric Tablecloth, White, 60-Inch-by-84-Inch
Price: $21.99
2 used & new from $15.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Elegant for Special Occasions and Still Casual for Everyday, October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am selling my house, so now my kitchen table is covered with this table cloth and it is very elegant-looking. It fits my table now but it would be too small if I use the extensions as if I was having guests over. I am not a fan of white since I have two boys and a black haired dog. They make messes without even trying to.

But I am in love with this pristine look of my table. I know it's not going to last forever, but it is really nice looking. It is sturdy enough too to keep on the table without it sliding all over the place. I only have 6 seats on my table so it's plenty long enough. I haven't washed it yet but I did see the reviews about it shrinks in the wash, so I will make sure I wash it in cold water and not dry it. If I have to iron, I will, but so far, it is a nice table cloth.

Right now, I am only using it for showings or special occasions since I do worry about my family staining it with their messy fingers. But it is still a nice table cloth, soft and pristine looking.

Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Price: $49.99
5 used & new from $41.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Removable Plate ..., October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a George Foreman grill already. I will admit that I don't like cooking meat on it since it takes all the flavor out of it. I save my Hamilton Beach grill for burgers, chicken burgers and chicken. I use my George Foreman grills for making sandwiches, most of the time. I can get really creative with panini sandwiches by using this kind of grill.

And having a removable plate makes it even better. I can wash it without having to worry about the entire grill. Clean up is now a bit easier.

I also love how smooth the grill is. It makes clean up a snap.

For this price though, I might not have gotten it since it is a bit pricey. It holds three sandwiches (maybe) at most. As for burgers, I can't see how I can put five burgers on it unless I was making sliders. Even then, it would have to take some juggling.

I do like this and will give the other one away once my husband and I are reunited again. He loves having a George Foreman grill at his apartment so he can satisfy his burger craving.

InterDesign Wavz Shower Caddy, Blue/Chrome
InterDesign Wavz Shower Caddy, Blue/Chrome
Price: $16.21
2 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Second Bathroom, October 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I just did a review for InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy,and I used that one for my own bathroom. However, I did request this one for my sons' bathroom and they love it. It is solid (not flimsy like the ones you might get at a drugstore) and sturdy. It hangs nicely over the shower head and best of all, it holds quite a bit. I was able to fit in four shampoo bottles and their soap on the top rack. Then on the lower rack, I put their cleansing stuff there. Even better, is there are two hooks for wash cloths. They hold up quite nicely.

You can't see it, but if you have daughters who are shaving their legs, there are two spots for two razors. And it's sturdy.

This is just perfect and the price is even better than expected. We all love it!

InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy, Satin
InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy, Satin
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Declutter Your Shower with This ..., October 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am in the process of selling my house and needed to organize my shampoo and conditioners into one cozy spot. This fits the bill. I was able to clear off my collection of shampoos and soaps and organize them into this one shower caddy.

And I love having a special place for my shaving razor.

The only complaint I have with this shower caddy is that the hooks for your razor slots are just a little too narrow. I hang my razor on one side and on the other side, I hang my washcloth and those hooks are just a tad bit narrow for me to hang it. Other than that, this is a great idea and definitely a great organizing tool!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20