Profile for Busy Mom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1234

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Busy Mom RSS Feed (Ohio)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum, 2 fl. oz.
Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum, 2 fl. oz.
Price: $29.00
2 used & new from $29.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective For A First Time Buyer, November 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have never used any kind of blemish clearing serum before. I never needed one before either. When I saw this offered in my Vine que, I thought I'd try it especially since I have been dealing with some blemishes due to the weather changing, age and stress. I didn't have a lot of blemishes, but the few that I did have cleared up right away and my face actually felt better than it has in weeks.

I have sensitive skin, with the occasional reddening and this works like a charm. It didn't leave my skin dried out. It cleared up the blemishes and tightened my pores even. I really enjoyed it and am willing to pay the price for it too.

I am not much for facial cleanser since I feel that they promise results that are not usually backed up by facts. This one though has changed my mind and will definitely check out the rest of this collection. I do like how it feels on my face and it also leaves my face feeling clean. I don't get that feeling with a lot of products.

First Frost
First Frost
by Sarah Addison Allen
Price: $19.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical and Lovely, November 19, 2014
This review is from: First Frost (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have read almost all of Sarah Addison Allen's books. I have fallen in love with the Waverly sisters and am delighted to be offered this advance copy of her latest book.

This one focuses on Bay, Sydney's daughter, a high schooler. Sydney is back and happily married to her high school friend, Henry and Claire is happily married to Tyler. Even Evannelle makes an appearance in this book (she was my favorite in the "Garden Spells"), along with her roommate/caretaker, Fred.

I love "Garden Spells" and this is the sequel to it. I love the ornery apple tree in Claire's back yard. It has a mind of its own and it is protective of the Waverly women, not so much of the men in the Waverly women's lives.

This novel is more Bay's story than it is of the Waverly sisters. Bay knows she is to be with Josh Matteson, a popular high school football player. Josh's dad also used to be involved with Sydney in high school, so there's that catch.

This novel celebrates the Waverly women's gifts and is a sweet respite from the real world for a few hours. Even though this novel is a sequel to "Garden Spells," it is still a good book to read on its own. It is a sweet novel, perfect for a snowy afternoon as you don't want to get up from your comfy couch to do anything. I would definitely read this one again. It's such a whimsical novel and if you're Allen's fan, you're in for a treat.

Going Over
Going Over
by Beth Kephart
Price: $13.42
86 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read ...., October 29, 2014
This review is from: Going Over (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love the idea of this book, about lives separated by the Berlin Wall. I vividly remember the day when the wall came tumbling down and how fascinated I was by the whole concept of dividing a city by a wall. It has been over 20 years now and I still am fascinated by the history of the Wall and the people who lived in its shadows.

I have never read any of Beth Kephart's books. I didn't even know she was a YA author. I wish I can rave about this book especially about Ada and Stefan, even about Mutti and Stefan's grandmother, but I just couldn't get past the stumbling block of Kephart's writing style. It moves too slow for me. It is very descriptive and colorful, but it plods instead of moving along. I am not asking the book to be written in a fast-paced way, like a lot of action novels are. It just plods and stumbles instead of keeping the reader's interest while showing how life is in two different part of the city. I know there are readers out there that enjoy this type of writing style, but this one is not for me.

I may not like this particular writing style, and it was a struggle for me to finish this book, but this doesn't mean that this wouldn't be a good read for someone else. Everyone has their own particular writing style that they prefer. I just wish this one was a bit more fulfilling for me to read. It left me wanting something deeper to read especially considering the time period it is set in. It pique my interest, where I thought there would be more stories about the two different lives behind the wall, but instead, it is just a story of a young girl who wants to be with her lover.

DII 100% Polyester, Damask, Machine Washable, Holiday Tablecloth, 60 x 104", Wine, Seats 8 to 10 People
Price: $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Holidays, Perfect for All Year Long ..., October 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I simply love this color. My kitchen colors are cream and wine and this table cloth just goes with the decor. It actually brightens up the room, which is kind of funny because it is darker than what it appears on the picture here.

It's elegant. It's simple. It's easy to clean. It's everything that a frazzled homeowner would want when entertaining friends or just having a simple family dinner. It is smooth and lovely. The price is also reasonable too. I am not one to spend a lot of money on table cloths simply because I don't use them all the time. I personally prefer place mats and matching napkins but this is really nice to have. It's even nicer that it is under $20.

If you know someone who is buying a home, or getting married or moving out of the childhood home, this would be a lovely housewarming gift for them as well. It is just lovely. Even more importantly, it is easy to maintain.

Easy Gourmet: Awesome Recipes Anyone Can Cook
Easy Gourmet: Awesome Recipes Anyone Can Cook
by Stephanie Le
Price: $13.90
51 used & new from $12.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Tired of the Same Old Meals Every Day? You'll Love This!, October 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love to cook ... most of the time. I have always cooked from scratch as I find it healthier, but lately, there are times when I find that very time-consuming, or uninspiring.

Then there's this book.

For the first time in a long while, I am finally inspired enough to cook. I started with the roasted vegetables, minus the asparagus as it's not our favorite veggie in this house. It was absolutely delicious and I couldn't wait to try another recipe. The other favorite so far is the Baked Mac & Cheese. That took a little time to make but it was worth it. It was really delicious and my kids love it. Then there's the Tomato Basil Spaghetti. That one was also delicious as well.

I haven't tried the dessert section yet, but will do that soon. This is an inspirational cookbook and while there is a strong Asian theme throughout this book, there are enough other recipes in this book to inspire novice and experienced cooks to be challenged in the kitchen.

Another plus for this book is that it's paper-bound, which I love because with a hardbacko cookbook, sometimes I feel like I have to break the spine in order to be able to look at the recipe. This book? I don't have to do that and the photos in this book are simply inspiring. Now if I can only get my meals to look picture perfect, then I've got it made.

Mega Bloks Call of Duty Mob Of The Dead
Mega Bloks Call of Duty Mob Of The Dead
Price: $24.69
19 used & new from $24.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Family Activity, October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We admit that we are Legos family, only because that is what our sons have preferred over the years. They will assemble Mega Bloks but they prefer Legos. Don't ask me why, they just do. They have mentioned before that Mega Bloks don't stick together as well as their counterparts, but since they got this one for free, they enjoyed it.

It did not take them long to assemble this. They are not big fans of zombies. They both said the jail was their favorite part as they can use it while playing with other mini-figures. One of them would just assemble the pieces together after following the instructions then he'll use the pieces and parts with other things to create his own story board. The other one is more of a stickler when it comes to assembling things. He'll assemble them and leave them together and put them up on top of his desk.

In this case, they dismantled it just as quickly as they put it together. Since they're not fans of zombies, they are thinking of giving it to one of their cousins to play with, if their parents allow it.

According to my reviewers, they said it was fun, but they'll never play with it again.

Mega Bloks Halo Wireless Attack Mantis
Mega Bloks Halo Wireless Attack Mantis
Price: $54.00
5 used & new from $54.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Overpriced For Such a Simple Set, October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose this for my twelve year old sons who both play with Legos. We took it up to my husband's apartment one weekend so they could work on it with their dad. The instructions were not all that clear. And throughout the entire time they were assembling it, they would scramble around looking for missing parts ... so it was not organized. (Yes, they had all the parts, just not together as one would expect. I think there were several bags of parts tossed together in a weird way.)

It didn't come with batteries, so we had to make a run to Target the next day to get the batteries. We ran out of time to test it, so one of the boys put the batteries in that night and said it didn't work. We're still holding out judgement on that part of the process as we need to find the time to get more Triple A batteries.

The boys all had it assembled within half an hour. That didn't take a lot of time to assemble it. Here is the review from one of my sons: "Don't expect the battery holder to work with the wireless connection, it might not work, if it does, Cool, if it doesn't, oh well, at least it looks cool. The pieces are useful for extra parts, if you want extra parts. It is hard to take off the armor on the halo guy. The robot machine will not walk on it own when using the remote. You have to use your hands for it to walk. It can only rotate to its sides and front and back. It is fun to pretend to blow things up and win the battle in the imaginary world. i hope you like the set as much as I did."

It is not the same as Legos, as the boys will verify it. They still prefer to assemble Lego pieces more than Mega Bloks, but they both agreed that this was a fun family event.

OXO Good Grips Perfect Cut Twine Dispenser
OXO Good Grips Perfect Cut Twine Dispenser
Price: $14.99
7 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Had This All Along ..., October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admit it. I am a kitchen gadget nerd. I love cooking and baking and anything that helps keep the clutter in my kitchen to a minimal amount of fuss (and space), then I am a fan. If you're like me, you're always looking for twine in different spots of the kitchen (or for me, I usually end up looking for it in the garage). This twine dispenser is handy. It doesn't take up a lot of room (which is a huge plus in my favor since I have small counter-tops) and it's right there. Right next to the mixer. I cannot miss it as it is right there. I don't have to go hunting for twine since it's right there.

I love it.

This is easy to put together and to keep together. Just put the twine inside the hole, pull out as much as you need and cut it. No fuss. Just pull and cut and there you have your twine ready to wrap up some roast or to put a decorative touch on foil-wrapped banana bread to give to the neighbors.

The price is just right and I love the fact that I can get refills on Amazon. This is something I wish I had a long time ago. It is a must-need for every kitchen! (So if you know someone who is moving into their first apartment or is getting married ... this is the perfect house-warming gift for them even if they're not a cook.)

Maybe One Day
Maybe One Day
by Melissa Kantor
Price: $12.94
64 used & new from $3.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just Another Cancer Book ..., October 18, 2014
This review is from: Maybe One Day (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before you dismiss this as another kid with cancer book, you ought to read the blurb. It's what drew me in. It is from the best friend's perspective and it is a poignant one. Zoe and Olivia are best friends. They've been best friends ever since they started dancing in the ballet school in Manhattan. They both were cut out of dancing before their sophomore year. But their friendship remains strong and loyal.

One day, they were just typical teenage girls, struggling with homework load, crushes on boys and the normal activities that are typical for teenagers in upper middle class society. Then the next day, Olivia gets a diagnosis of cancer. It's not a curable type of cancer as it has a high fatalistic rate compared to other cancers. She has leukemia but it's the "old people" leukemia and extremely rare for young people to get it.

Zoe is the main character of this book and this is the story of her struggles, her anguish and her fears. She falls in love with a high school senior who also happens to be Olivia's crush and Olivia's brother's best friend. And while a few reviewers didn't care for Zoe as the narrator, I liked her just fine. She's not as goodie good shoes or as "perfect" as a lot of characters tend to be. I can relate to her more than I can relate to Olivia's mother as a character ... and I am a mother.

The reason why I didn't give this a five star rating is because the diagnosis happened so quickly, then almost immediately Olivia is on chemo. Realistically, that doesn't happen that fast in America's medical facilities or at least not in my experience and I have had several people in my life fight cancer. Some have died of cancer. No matter the age, it is heartbreaking watching someone die of cancer and this book is no different. Cancer stinks. That is all there is to it.

This is a good read. I personally love John Green's book, "The Fault in Our Stars" but it isn't fair to compare this book to Green's book because they are totally different, even if the subject matter is similar. I enjoy reading about Zoe and Olivia's friendship, as it is a special relationship. It is just a heartbreaking tale of friendship, love and loss in modern America.

Nest
Nest
by Esther Ehrlich
Price: $13.59
59 used & new from $7.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story of Life ..., October 14, 2014
This review is from: Nest (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book. So many YA books I have read lately have been filled with teenage angst and dark thoughts and other issues that tweens don't normally face (at least I hope not just yet!). I have been misled by the YA label so many times recently.

This book is perfect for the younger set. By younger set, I am talking about the 9-12 year olds. Actually, as a mom, I really enjoyed this book.

Naomi, also known as Chirp to her family members and closest friends, is an eleven-year-old girl who loves birds. She loves to study birds and their habits and living off of the Cape gives her plenty of opportunities to study birds. She is also in the sixth grade and is happiest with her mother, a gracious woman who is also a dancer. Then her mother gets some terrible news and the news affected Chirp's family in so many different ways that it resonates beautifully and sadly.

Chirp becomes friends with the neighbor boy, Joey, who lives across the street from them. When tragedy struck Chirp's household, Chirp turns to Joey for understanding.

I love how this book is narrated by Chirp. It is refreshing to read a story through a young girl's eyes. There is so much innocence in the story that it is heartbreaking in spots when one realizes that someday, even a young character like Chirp, will have to grow up. Her love for her family is so prevalent, especially her confusion when her mother was diagnosed with an illness that kept her from dancing.

This is a heartbreaking tale of loss, love and friendship. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katharine Peterson. I love that story and "Nest" reminds me a lot of this one. "Nest" is more about the friendship one finds unexpectedly in the duration of life. "Nest" is told from a girl's point of view and it is told beautifully.

Out of all of the YA books I have read lately, this one is my favorite.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20