Profile for Busy Mom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1243

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Busy Mom RSS Feed (Ohio)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hidden in the Stars: Quilts of Love Series
Hidden in the Stars: Quilts of Love Series
by Robin Caroll
Price: $11.52
38 used & new from $6.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for those Lazy Winter afternoons ...., December 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't realize that it was a Christian book as normally I would not pick one of those out. I have found Christian fiction to be poorly written and tedious in most cases. Fortunately, this one is not tedious nor is it poorly written. Nor was it "preachy" like a lot of the other Christian novels tend to be.

I have never read any of the books in this series. I love quilts and love stories about quilts, so this book is no exception. It was a fast read, which was surprising.

Sophia is a young gymnast who had just been announced to the US team for the Olympics, when she was brutally attacked by two thugs who also killed her mother. Julian Frazier is the detective on the case, who found himself drawn to the young beauty as he is determined to solve the case.

To my surprise, I did enjoy this novel and it was a rather good mystery. I am glad that I was able to carve out some during the most crazy season to sit and read for a couple of hours. This book was a good fit for those hours. I would recommend this to anyone who likes reading mysteries without all the blood and gore that seem to pervade mysteries these days.

The Firelight Girls: A Novel
The Firelight Girls: A Novel
by Kaya McLaren
Price: $20.97
44 used & new from $16.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book on Friendship, Memories and Dreams, December 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It has been quite awhile since I have thoroughly enjoyed reading a book like this one. This one must have caught me on a good day because I hated putting the book down. I was fortunate enough to have a couple hours to read a book without interruptions (thanks to my husband!).

If you had gone to summer camp and made good friends there as well as good memories, or even if you were a camp counselor, this book will appeal to you. It is about a group of women who were involved with camp when they were girls, either as a camper, counselor or director and this time, it is about a group of women who are in differing chapters of their lives, come together to close down their favorite summer camp.

There is Ethel, the camp director, who had just lost the love of her life and her best friend, so she grieved as she planned to shut down the camp and turn it over to their new owners. Then there is Shannon, a teacher, who decided that teaching isn't for her and it was time for her to change jobs; Ruby, who is Ethel's oldest friend who also betrayed her in a time of need; Laura, a married woman facing the empty nest for the first time; and Amber, a runaway teenage girl.

All of them come together to close down their camp and all of them have issues to deal with. Told in different voices, this collection of stories blend into a wonderful novel of friendship, dreams and memories.

TombQuest Book 1: Book of the Dead
TombQuest Book 1: Book of the Dead
by Michael Northrop
Price: $11.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Series to Fall Into ..., December 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I picked this out to let my tweens read this but before I could even pick it up to read it, one of my sons picked it up and read it within 2 days. Then he handed it to me and said that I needed to read it.

It didn't take my 2 days to read it. That didn't lessen my enjoyment though. I really had a good time reading this and so did my 12 year old. The other one will take to it as well once I put it in his hands. It is a not a very big book and it is just the beginning of a series. I am hoping that some of my questions about the book, its characters and scenery will be answered eventually. Other than that, I really enjoyed reading it.

Alex and Ren are best friends. Alex was chronically ill and all of a sudden he is feeling stronger than he ever has before ... only problem is, his mother is missing and he wants to go looking for her but he needs help deciphering all the symbols of a dead Egyptian Scrolls that he discovered at the museum where his mother works.

This may be written for ages 7-12; it is such a fun read. I cannot wait for the other books to come out. I have never read Animal Spirits (the other series this team promoted) but heard it was good. This particular series promises to be as good. I already have one 12 year that likes this book so he's looking forward to reading the rest of the series. It might be in a more simple format, but the story itself is riveting.

Bionic Body Resistance Tube, Light Blue, 30-Pound
Bionic Body Resistance Tube, Light Blue, 30-Pound
Price: $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner's tool, December 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I will be honest. I never make a new year's resolution to get back into shape. I have no time to make those kinds of promises. I did pick this because I thought at the very least, I could do some stretching exercises while watching tv.

I am a beginner and I have found this to be very basic. My husband had to show me how to make it a bit stiffer so I can fight against the resistance to build up muscle strength.

My mom who has had shoulder surgery recently can even do this and she really doesn't have any strength, so it is a great beginning tool for those who are looking for ways to build up upper body strength. However, there is one thing, it does not come with any instructions on how to use it. You'll have to google for instructions.

If you are looking for something to start with, this would be a good tool to have. If you've already used something like this, don't get this as it'll be too light for the work out you're hoping for.

Five Star Travel Case to Fit iPads/Tablets and Small Laptops, Black (72404)
Five Star Travel Case to Fit iPads/Tablets and Small Laptops, Black (72404)
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise Christmas gift, December 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this for my son who is also getting his first tablet for Christmas. We have used Five Star materials before and never had any trouble with their materials. This one is no exception.

Since it is a Christmas gift, I didn't dare try to smuggle his mini-laptop to see if it fits. This might be a little too small for his mini-laptop, but it is a perfect fit for his tablet. There are pockets even for pencils and since he still plays with his Nintendo DS, there's room for that too as well as for the games he plays.

This is a convenient case for some of the electronics to be placed in. It will come in handy as we take a lot of road trips and this will be perfect to keep all of my son's electronics organized.

If I Fall, If I Die
If I Fall, If I Die
by Michael Christie
Price: $18.63

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Sure What To Make of this Novel ...., December 8, 2014
This review is from: If I Fall, If I Die (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A novel about a young boy who is venturing away from his mother's shadow for the first time sounded intriguing. When I finally got the book, I found the first half of the book very interesting and I couldn't put the book down. The second half of the book didn't move as fast and I had to force myself to finish the book.

This novel focuses mostly on Will, the son, who ventures outside one day for the first time. His mother is gripped with a paralyzing fear and is unable to leave the house for whatever reasons. Will ventures outside, goes to school and makes friends for the first time in his young life. He even learns to skateboard.

It was good going until the second half of the book, which is has left me a bit annoyed as it dragged through a bunch of pretty words and little action. If I have to force myself to finish a book, then it really wasn't a good novel. However, this leaves me torn as I really enjoyed the first half of the book.

The Virtues of Oxygen
The Virtues of Oxygen
by Susan Schoenberger
Price: $10.99
44 used & new from $7.89

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is sweet, thoughtful and surprisingly insightful, December 8, 2014
This review is from: The Virtues of Oxygen (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book. I've only read about a person living in an iron lung one other time and that was not a very memorable book. This book is sweet, thoughtful and surprisingly insightful.

This book is about Vivian, the lady who spent her life in an iron lung, and Holly, one of the volunteers who help take care of her. I really love Vivian. She is the kind of character I would love to meet in real life. She is direct, honest and doesn't bat an eyelash when faced with something unpleasant. This isn't to say that she didn't when she was younger, and reading the flashbacks of her life, was purely fascinating.

Holly is the other main character, and she is not as interesting as Vivian. Her struggles as a single mom are realistically drawn, especially in a tight economy. She works as an editor for the small town newspaper and her mother, who had quietly supported her since Holly's husband died, suffered a stroke and Holly just couldn't figure out what to do next, when Vivian asked her to work for her.

This novel focuses on two women and their friendship, and their private struggles in an economic downturn, which is portrayed in a familiar way in this novel, and it is a good read, though, just a bit predictable. Like I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed reading about Vivian. Her voice rings true in this novel.

If you're looking for a cozy read, this book is definitely one I'd recommend.

An Appetite for Violets: A Novel
An Appetite for Violets: A Novel
by Martine Bailey
Price: $19.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I must confess that it took me several tries to get into this book, as I was distracted with other things that were going on in my life. However, once I got into the story, it was a fun read. I love cooking and have wondered what it would have been like to cook in those days without the conveniences of microwaves, stove/oven and freezers. It was an interesting read.

Biddy, short for Obedience, is the under-cook in her master's house when his new wife decided to depart for Italy. Biddy was selected to go with her along with several other staff members. Biddy parts from the man she promised to marry and goes on an adventure to Italy with her new mistress.

And this alone makes for a compelling story, especially when Biddy is urged to pose as her mistress when one of the neighboring bachelors comes a visiting.

It is a mixture of a mystery and historical fiction, with some recipes thrown in for good measure. Once the story gets moving, this is a fun book to read. You'll be carried along with Biddy on her extraordinary journey and for a few hours, be carried away into a different life.

OXO Good Grips Serrated Peeler, Black
OXO Good Grips Serrated Peeler, Black
Price: $8.99
29 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy to have in the kitchen!, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love kitchen gadgets. My husband says I have too many but I don't hear him complaining too loudly when I present him a meal using a time-saver gadget.

I have several peelers; two for vegetables, one for peaches and tomatoes, and one for kiwi. This peeler might replace the ones I use for the softer veggies, like peaches and tomatoes as it does a nice job. It doesn't slide out of my hand when it gets slippery from the juice, which is a big plus.

I did try using this on an apple and it did not impress me that much. It took too long to peel an apple using this, so I went back to my trusty peeler that I have used for years.

As for it being an overall peeler to keep, I will admit that I am really partial to my steel peelers as they stay sharp no matter how many times I use them, plus I like the steel grip I have on them. This OXO peeler is definitely nice and the price is just right. I might have my kids use this one till they master the art of peeling veggies. It is great for those who like kitchen gadgets.

Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum, 2 fl. oz.
Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum, 2 fl. oz.
Price: $29.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective For A First Time Buyer, November 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have never used any kind of blemish clearing serum before. I never needed one before either. When I saw this offered in my Vine que, I thought I'd try it especially since I have been dealing with some blemishes due to the weather changing, age and stress. I didn't have a lot of blemishes, but the few that I did have cleared up right away and my face actually felt better than it has in weeks.

I have sensitive skin, with the occasional reddening and this works like a charm. It didn't leave my skin dried out. It cleared up the blemishes and tightened my pores even. I really enjoyed it and am willing to pay the price for it too.

I am not much for facial cleanser since I feel that they promise results that are not usually backed up by facts. This one though has changed my mind and will definitely check out the rest of this collection. I do like how it feels on my face and it also leaves my face feeling clean. I don't get that feeling with a lot of products.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20