Profile for Robert H Bear > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert H Bear RSS Feed

Wolf Of Wall Street
Wolf Of Wall Street
DVD

2.0 out of 5 stars The wolf fizzles, April 14, 2014
I was hoping for something like "Catch Me If You Can", where I could identify, at least a little, with the naughty boy. In Wolf I ended up rooting for the Feds. Leonardo's character comes across as just a crooked pathetic drug addict who disrespects women and steals. In the end, he shows that there is no honor, even among theives. This character should have been put away for a long long time. Moderately engaging, so it got two stars instead of one.

Stewart Headlam's Radical Anglicanism (Studies in Anglican History)
Stewart Headlam's Radical Anglicanism (Studies in Anglican History)
Price: $15.34

5.0 out of 5 stars An obscure piece of history becomes a great story., March 28, 2014
John Orens is both an accomplished academician and a great storyteller. The book is thoroughly footnoted, and I have no doubt but that it is academically sound. What really intrigued me in the story of this relatively obscure churchman from the other side of the Pond was the dynamic social involvement of the mainline churches in Victorian/Edwardian times, as both a progressive and reactionary force. It is food for thought on how churches might become more relevant today. For anyone with a bit of an historical bent, it is a delightful and entertaining read.

Book Design and Production
Book Design and Production
by Pete Masterson
27 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything the self-publisher needs to know about book design, April 17, 2013
I just received this book, and it is giving me the confidence to layout my 500 page fiction manuscript knowing that I can do so professionally. Pete Masterson guides you through everything from laying out margins to selecting the best typeface for the job, and then he shows you exactly how to do it with InDesign (best choice) or Word (only if you must). Professional book designers wanted to charge me $5.00 per page plus a setup fee. This book has saved me almost $3,000. For a cover design or for a complicated interior design with many illustrations, tables and sidebars, hiring a professional is money well-spent. But for the layout of a lot of text this book shows you how to do it yourself.

Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC
Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC
12 used & new from $59.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful awful documentation and support, December 6, 2012
The software code is decent, but if you think you are going to get any guidance from Symantec forgetaboutit! My PC has a small system partition that holds the master boot record and which is marked as active. The Windows 7 Operating system is on the second partition. This is not an uncommon configuration when you buy a consumer PC. I bought the software to clone my disk drive that was failing. I was told in an online chat window on Symantec's website that if I needed help it was only a click away - What a lie that turned out to be! The only documentation you get on how to copy a disk applies to copying where the active partition, the MBR and the O/S are all on the first partition. The only online support you get on the website is some generic documents that didn't help. I tried calling the phone support line and got through to a live agent after a long hold time. She told me that no agents were available for the Ghost product that night. I told her that was not good because my computer was in pieces, I asked to speak to a supervisor, and after another long wait he told me that he was putting in my ticket for an expedited call back. No return call that night or at all so far. Luckily I am an Microsoft Certified System Engineer, and I managed to struggle through and get this to work after several trials and errors -- no thanks to Symantec. I pity any non-professional consumer who is trying to work with this product. Symantec obviously does not invest anything in supporting this product; they shouldn't take your money.

I purchased a licensed copy on Symantec's website, not Amazon. So this reveiw will probably show up with an indication that Amazon cannot confirm my purchase.

The Breath of God: A Novel of Suspense
The Breath of God: A Novel of Suspense
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting perspective and fun to read., December 4, 2012
This is a fun piece of fiction with an interesting take on Jesus. The book suggests that Christianity shares a common root with all religions. The main focus of the plot occurs in modern times. The pacing is similar to the DaVinci Code but the message is different. I did not agree with everything, but it is a fun read and offers a unique perspective.

Photoshop Elements 11: The Missing Manual
Photoshop Elements 11: The Missing Manual
by Barbara Brundage
Price: $29.53
67 used & new from $5.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference, December 4, 2012
This is mainly a reference. I cannot imagine someone reading it cover to cover. As a newcomer to Photoshop I find it very thorough. If you know what you want to do with a picture, this book will tell you how.

The Last Temptation of Christ
The Last Temptation of Christ
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Drives home the significance of Christ's death and resurrection, December 4, 2012
As a Christian there are many things in this movie that I find heretical. However, it really drives home the significance of Christ's death and resurrection which is the most important aspect of traditional Chistian belief. It offers a unique perspective on a subject that is extremely difficult to portray. Just understand that it is fiction and not gospel.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11: Learn by Video
Adobe Photoshop Elements 11: Learn by Video
by video2brain
Edition: DVD-ROM
Price: $44.99
28 used & new from $26.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intro, December 4, 2012
Good intro to Photoshop, which is what I needed. The material was well-presented. I could have used a little less emphasis on the organizer and more about the Editor, particularly how to use layers to combine images. Once you go through the video, you will probably need something like the Missing Manual book as a reference.

Brother Printer HL5470DW Wireless Monochrome Printer
Brother Printer HL5470DW Wireless Monochrome Printer
Price: Click here to see our price
102 used & new from $169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome value, December 4, 2012
I love this printer. I needed 20 copies of a 500 page manuscript. Lowest cost at the copy shop was 10 cents per page. I just ran the first copy in duplex mode. Not a single pager jam or misprint. Handles 3 hole punch paper just fine. Ink costs cannot be beat. I found a third party vendor that sells the ink cartridge good for 8,000 copies for about $25. No problems with set up. The printer has already paid for itself. I did not realize that the printer includes the first cartridge good for 8,000 copies, and that is icing on the cake.