Profile for Barry Tighe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Barry Tighe "Barry Tighe - Author The Spawater Chronicles, Gieves to the Fore" RSS Feed (Spawater, Britanicca)

Page: 1 | 2
King's Envoy: Artesans of Albia
King's Envoy: Artesans of Albia
by Cas Peace
27 used & new from $0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new fantasy from an exciting new author, September 7, 2011
I was rivited from start to finish by this excellent fantasy novel. Action, intrigue, dirty tricks and humor combine to make this a great addition to the world of fantasy. Speaking of worlds, author Cas Peace creates a unique, yet convincing one, complete with all the heros and villains you could wish for, plus a good number of ordinary folk caught up in extraordinary events.
You can't beat a good baddie and the chief baddie is up there with Sauron, Sauraman and Ming the Mercieless. Great stuff.

Stop Cruelty to Chickens and TV Viewers - Comedy Fiction Suitable For All - Paperback
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2011 1:46 AM PDT

For the Love of Daisy
For the Love of Daisy
by Cas Peace
Price: $30.00
11 used & new from $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and heartbreaking, March 4, 2011
This review is from: For the Love of Daisy (Paperback)
A bittersweet true story of the love that exists between a dog and her caring owner. Their adventures together as Daisy fights for life will make you laugh and try. Unputdownable.

How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them--A Misstep-by-Misstep Guide
by Howard Mittelmark
Price: $13.66
57 used & new from $7.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanna get published? Read this book, May 12, 2009
The Ministry of Novels must make this book standard issue for all wannabe novelists. Think of the reprieved trees, not to mention time and temper of agents and publishers.
The best ideas are often the simplest, like Sooty, twitter or libraries. Setting out the commonest writing mistakes and telling the wannabe novelist what to do about them is one of those that makes us slap our heads and say 'now why didn't I think of that?'
Feeling smug, I read the book just on the unlikely chance that it could find any fault with my own writing. Dammit, it did. Three faults. I said three faults, one being that my characters sometimes repeat themselves. Not any more; if my readers don't pick up on it first time, that's their lookout.
My favourite theme is the assumption by wannabes that they have some insight nobody before them has spotted. Outside of changes to the world such as mobile phones or the iron curtain falling down, they are wrong. Someone has been there first, so the wannabes had better accept it. Don't reinvent the wheel, accept that it exists already and impress us by spinning it in a fresh direction.
May I suggest you add to your final chapter for the next edition? How to annoy your publisher even more. I still cringe at the first MS I sent out to the world. It had three spelling mistakes on the first page. The shame. I fell for the oldest gag of all; that my work was so brilliant I would be forgiven trifling errors and poor presentation. My brilliance remained undiscovered and I doubt any publisher read to the bottom of the first page. I even printed it in Times New Roman. You write books for children? Send your MS in Comic Sans MS. Genuine coffee stains add authenticity, and don't forget to tell the publisher to hurry up as you have other publishers waving their chequebooks at you. Never fails.
One slight hiccup - they include the 'F' word three times to no useful purpose. Still, no book is perfect.
Simple advice to all wannabe novelists, and quite a few published ones too - read this book.

Youth Market: Chickens or Television - Which Comes First? (Spawater Chronicles I) Stop the cruelty

H. Douglas Lightfoot's Nobody's Fuel -- energy supply is more important than climate change
DVD ~ N/A

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for all who care for our future, February 25, 2009
Nobody's Fuel is the simple yet comprehensive reply to those who - hearts in the right place but brains a step behind - believe that we can run this planet on wind, tides and sun. Perhaps in the future we will be able to utilise sufficient renewable energy resources to avoid oil wars and CO2 overload, or better yet utilise nuclear fusion, but not if we run out of power today.
Nobody's Fuel points out most effectively that we need nuclear fission now, to bridge the energy gap between today and a planet self-sufficient in non-polluting energy,
I recommend the Nobody's Fuel DVD for all those who take the energy needs of the planet seriously.
And I look forward to reading the Nobody's Fuel book.

War on the Margins: A Novel
War on the Margins: A Novel
by Libby Cone
13 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What if the Nazis had won?, July 17, 2008
The occupation of the channel islands by the Germans during world war Two gives the best possible insight into what life in Britain would have been like had Hitler won.
The remarkable account of the occupation is a must-read for anyone who wishes to get a flavor of the nazi mind-set, and how it affected the lives, loves and behavior of the islanders.
Perhaps the most frightening aspect of the occupation was just how gradually the Nazis tightened the noose around the island people. Impersonal, matter-of-fact bulletins from the German commander politely instructed Jews - anyone with slight Jewish antecedents - to report to the town hall to register their names. All quite innocent, and gradually the demands increase. Register any business interests, your nationality, wear identification, have a red mark on your file. It slowly builds up to the true horrors in store for those the Germans regarded as sub-human.

In the middle of this, how did the islands cope? How did life continue?

Libby Cone has produced a compelling account of just that. She takes you back to that dreadful time, when Hitler ruled Europe, and shows how ordinary people were caught up in the nazi horror. The gradual creeping of the restrictions on liberty have a resonance today.

Yet amid the harrow, there is love and humanity. To really understand how WW11 changed lives forever, read this book

Freakonomics [Revised and Expanded]: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
by Steven D. Levitt
Price: $21.72
675 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book gets me thrown out of parties, May 9, 2008
Freakonomics gets me thrown out of a lot of parties. Now that I know what really makes the world turn I cannot resist butting in on folk's conversations and putting them right.
`Zero tolerance', someone will say, `that's what cut crime in New York'.
`No it didn't', says I, `it was the 1973 legalisation of abortion that cut crime. Fewer young men means fewer young criminals.' A few dirty looks and off I go to another group.
`My estate agent is marvellous; she sold my house in no time. A little under my asking price but she got me the best deal she could'.
`No she didn't', I interrupt. `She sold your house below your asking price for a quick sale. She makes more money selling lots of houses cheaply than fewer houses for a fair price.' More unfriendly stares. Next group.
'Drug dealers are all rich, living off the backs of their victims.'
'Oh yeah? Says I,`Then how come most of them live with their moms?'
And so on until they show me the door.
Freakonomics has turned me into a know-all. It explains the real reasons things happen as opposed to the conventional thinking. Written in a style that tells you that you are among friends, Freakonomics leads you gently from a world of easy assumptions to a world of questioning. You will never be quite the same again.
My only bicker is that it is too short. Are they writing a Freakonomics II? I do hope so. Maybe they can explain why know-alls get thrown out of parties.

Casino - Heads we win tails you lose (Spawater Chronicles III) How casinos really work

McMafia: A Journey Through the Global Criminal Underworld
McMafia: A Journey Through the Global Criminal Underworld
by Misha Glenny
147 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Drugs - engine of the McMafia, April 24, 2008
McMafia is an argument for the legalisation of drugs. Without explicitly demanding such a thing, it gives the best possible argument for legalising all narcotics; that drug money is the engine of the McMafia.
Misha Glenny covers many more McMafia activities; cigarette smuggling, investment scams, slavery, fake goods, intimidation etc, but behind them all lies drugs and the massive profits they engender.
He points out that we in the west are largely to blame. We buy the fake DVDs, hire the slaves and turn a blind eye to the sweatshops. Mainly, we buy the drugs.
The author's point is that so long as the drug barons grow fat on human misery, so will the McMafia thrive.
A hypnotic read.

The Triumph of the Political Class
The Triumph of the Political Class
by Peter Oborne
8 used & new from $9.73

5.0 out of 5 stars We are Taking Control for your Own Good, March 29, 2008
Peter Oborne is a blasted nuisance. Our triumph indeed. We cannot triumph until the likes of Mr Oborne learn to love us. True, we are winning. We now control the machinery of government and have weakened all opposition - except the monarchy, but just you wait until Charles takes charge - but we have not yet triumphed. Not by a long chalk.

Why are we taking control? Why seek unopposed power? Not for our own benefit, you may be sure of that. We are sacrificing ourselves for your well being, for your future. Be honest, how many of you could run the country half as well as us? Of course you couldn't. You are too busy with your own selfish lives to see the bigger picture. Well, luckily for you, there are those at Westminster willing to take up the burden of government, willing to sacrifice our own privacy, our own livelihoods and our own careers to look after those less able.
And what thanks do we get? None. You even begrudge us a few creature comforts. Why can't we be driven to our homes, any of them, in a nice car, after a day slaving on your behalf? And security? Of course we need a decent pension. We could earn far more in the private sector, you know. Just look at Lord Archer. Our career is precarious, we may lose the next election and so we must earn enough to retire on beforehand. Luckily, we do not seek gratitude. Just the knowledge that we are running the country well, better than anyone else can, is enough.
Of course, to look after you properly, Mr Oborne and his ilk cannot be allowed to hamper us. We must have control; we must have power, in order to wield it on your behalf.

As Mr Oborne says, we have weakened our opposition, the checks and balances that prevent us getting our way. In particular, the church, judiciary, trade unions, education, local government and the newspapers. This is great progress. However, while the Obornes of this world carp at us from the sidelines, we have yet to conquer the greatest obstacle of all. Hearts and minds.
When you learn to love us, when books like the Triumph of the political class can no longer find a market, we shall know we have won.
Identity Cards - Nothing to hide nothing to fear...? ( Spawater Chronicles II ) Government control-freak paranoia and the surveillance state
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2009 4:10 AM PDT

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Non-Smokers Using Allen Carr's Easyway Method
by Allen Carr
222 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Allen Carr is destroying my business, March 26, 2008
Bet you are all pleased with yourselves, quitting smoking the easy way. Selfish swine, why don't you think of others?
I am the Anti Smoking Industry. I make an honest living selling nicotine patches, nicotine gum, fake cigarette substitutes and various other paraphernalia to smokers desperate to quit. I also run therapy classes where I tell the mugs just how impossible it is to quit unless they attend my classes and buy my anti-smoking products.
Like I say, it's a good living.
So how do you think I feel when Allen Easyway Carr comes along and shows everybody just how easy it is to quit without using so much as a second hand patch to bless themselves with!
The whole point of the tobacco quitting industry is to tell the suckers that they are hooked forever unless they buy our products. But the products must not actually cure them! That would be cutting our own throats. Madness.

So this Allen Carr character is destroying our industry. If he cures everyone how will we sell our products? We could try selling aids to dieting, I suppose. There are plenty of suckers who will buy our diet aids. But guess what? Allen Carr has only gone and written a book about that too! The Easy Weigh (his pun, not mine) to lose weight, or something. That's two industries Allen Carr is ruining. It is enough to turn you to drink. But wait! He has written a book showing us the easy way to control our drinking! Curing alcoholics? The man is a menace.
Of course I know it works, how do you think I quit myself? But that's no reason to tell everyone!

So if you want to put me out of a job, and selfishly live longer, buy this book and quit smoking the easy way.

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Oscar Wilde
Price: $5.95
468 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wine wit and wisdom, March 10, 2008
`So, Henry, how is that young Protégée of yours progressing, hem?
Lord Henry paused to saviour his glass. Pleased, he set it down, just so, beside his dinner plate, and turned to Lord Fermor.
`Pundits say troubles come in threes, Uncle,' replied Lord Henry. `What the pundits omit in their gabardine rush to spread their misery to others in a foolish attempt to alleviate their own, is that the best in life never travels solo. Take, for example, the wine and dinner before us. Both French. Together they constitute a meal to entice the gods down from the Mount. When did you ever come across a bad French meal, or a good French man? Yet when wine and food march together, they repay the Creator.'
`No doubt,' replied Lord Fermor, `but you evade the issue. I asked about the young chap you have taken into your entourage, you know.' Lord Fermor struggled to recall the name, `that chap who poses for Mr Hallward here.'
Basil Hallward felt the heat of recognition first on his brow, then running through his whole body. A retiring man, more at home with his easels and sitters than at high table, he shrank from the public glare.
Recognising the signs, though failing to sympathise with them, Lady Agatha piped up.
`Mr Hallword has many sitters, do you not, Sir.'
`Er, yes, indeed I do,' replied Mr Hallward, grateful for the prompt. `For example, just today I encountered a young man of exquisite appearance, youth in all its pomp. He has promised to sit for me. Lord Henry, I fancy, will try to take him away and teach him of the world, thereby spoiling him as a object d'art.' He laughed to denote humour, simultaneously glancing at his friend to convey the serious meaning behind his joke. Keep away Lord Henry, the glanced announced, shielded behind the laughter. Keep away from this young man lest you send him on the eternal search for fulfilment and in so doing corrupt his soul.
Lord Henry roared.
"Why Basil, you surpass yourself! Hiding a serious message behind a joke so that you may deliver it in public. Would that the Good Book decked itself in such garlands, the better to frighten the masses. You are a greater artist than your canvasses know.'
`I fear my husband is avoiding your question, Lord Fermor,' laughed Lady Victoria. `When it comes to hiding a serious message behind the veil of farce, he may rival Dante himself.'
`What is the name of your young beauty?' Inquired Lord Henry amidst the general humour. `I only ask,' he pressed, `so that I may avoid him. Let us hope I have more success than Eve, who expressed no desire to harvest the only tree in the garden that contained a serpent, until admonished not to. Of course,' Lord Henry continued, `our Creator did not warn off the firstborn with laughter on his lips. Had he done so, perhaps we would be consuming ambrosia still. Mind you,' he reflected, `this French cuisine is an adequate substitute.'
`Yes yes yes Henry,' broke in Lord Fermor, `but what about your young Protégée? Has he a fine future, seeking the dark mysteries of life of which you profess to be so fond?'
`Should he avoid hubris, I see for him a long, comfortable and satisfactory life.'
`And should he fail to avoid hubris?' teased Lady Agatha.
`Then I see for him immortality in print and prose. Hubris is man's affirmation of his living soul, his insistence that all must be as he ordains, and his rage that it is not. Should Basil paint hubris he would reveal Caliban.
`Modesty, on the other hand, is pleasing to the casual senses but fleeting, like snow on the chimneystack. Modesty and prose combine to produce the barely adequate. Hubris and prose combine to produce immortality, but not personal happiness.'
`And this choice, modesty of hubris, is one you see before Dorian Gray?' queried Mr Hallword.
`Dorian who?' Lord Henry responded. He reached again for the reassuring certainty in his wine glass. `I was referring to my Protégée, Oscar Wilde.'

Page: 1 | 2