Profile for Julius the Greek > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Julius the Greek "Julius" RSS Feed (Long Beach, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
USMC MOS 2542 Communication Center Operator Decal 8"
USMC MOS 2542 Communication Center Operator Decal 8"
Offered by MilitaryBest
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints. Just be sure to check the dimensions ..., March 2, 2015
No complaints. Just be sure to check the dimensions (they are clearly listed in the item's description) and ensure that this decal's size suits your application. BT

The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, January 17, 2015
Straight and to the point - With virtually no prior knowledge, or exposure to amateur radio, I bought this book on January 6, 2015, and breezed through my Technician's class exam on January 17, 2015. I would definitely recommend this book to anybody studying for their technician's class license.

Taotronics TT-BS003 Black USB Automatic Sensing and Scan Wired Handheld Laser Barcode Scanner
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $35.99
8 used & new from $20.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier, December 12, 2012
This product exceeded my expectations by working great right out of the box. I found it to be an excellent value.

Jawbone Noise Shield Bluetooth Headset (Black) [Retail Packaged]
Jawbone Noise Shield Bluetooth Headset (Black) [Retail Packaged]
5 used & new from $39.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable Performance, April 28, 2008
To make a long story short, the sound quality on the Jawbone can be great when it works, but the one I received was completely unreliable. Callers would tell me I was coming through loud and clear, and then hang up a minute or two later because they couldn't make out a word I was saying. The line between clear communications and static appears to be very fine.

You could get lucky and join those who rave about this product, or you could wind up as disappointed as the rest of us. Mine is now sharing a box with an RMA bound for the return center in Lexington, KY.

Tortilla Flat
Tortilla Flat
by John Steinbeck
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $10.19
217 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't be too serious . . ., August 17, 2002
You can't be too serious if you expect to enjoy this book. Much of what is good about, and to some degree wrong with, Tortilla Flat can be explained by its origin. As a young reporter, John Steinbeck was in the habit of reviewing the local police blotters in Monterey. As a result, Tortilla Flat is based on seperate, unrelated, events that occured in an impovrished place, during an impovrished period of our history.
Tortilla Flat can be described as a loosely woven tapestry of seventeen separate short stories set in post WWI to pre WWII Monterey. Each of the seventeen chapters is introduced by such subtitles as, "How Danny, home from the wars, found himself an heir, and how he swore to protect the helpless.", or, "How Danny was ensnared by a vacuum-cleaner and how Danny's Friends rescued him". These stories, taken from the police blotters, are woven together as a retelling of the Arthurian legends, with paisanos (Described by Steinbeck as ". . . a mixture of Spanish, Indian, Mexican, and assorted caucasian bloods . . .". Arguably every man, race or creed.) comprising the round table. Arthur is embodied by Danny, who to some degree serves as the groups "moral compass". Due to the episodic nature of the book, each of the seventeen chapters can stand on its own.
Tortilla Flat is primarily comic in nature, but like much comedy the laughter often arises from painful situations. If taken litteraly this is a book about a group of scheming drunks. However, if taken as intended, Tortilla Flat is pure entertainment. It is a book that begs to be read out loud. I can remember a rainy weekend when my wife and I had a lot of fun taking turns reading this book to eachother.
John Steinbeck describes Cannery Row as "... the gathered and scattered, tin and iron and rust and splintered wood, chipped pavement and weedy lots and junk heaps, sardine canneries of corrugated iron, honky-tonks, restaurants and whore-houses ...". Tortilla Flat is the poor neighborhood just up the street.

Fellowes PS60C-2 Cross Cut Paper Shredder (38605)
Fellowes PS60C-2 Cross Cut Paper Shredder (38605)

5.0 out of 5 stars An important addition to any home, July 21, 2002
I've used home/office shredders both at home, and in the office. The Fellowes PS60C-2 is by far the best that I have ever used. If you're shredding a stack of documents, you no longer have to sort through and tear the staples off, the PS60C-2 will shred them. Did you forget that little paper clip? No problem, the PS60C-2 doesn't care. Are you getting rid of an old credit card? Stop looking for the scissors, the PS60C-2 will turn it into confetti.
The PS60C-2 is a solidly built machine, and of coruse it includes its own waste basket. One nice feature of the waste basket is the view window which reduces the need to remove the cutter assembly when checking to see if the basket is full.
One feature of the PS60C-2, which may be viewed as a pro/con respectively, is its power cord. Instead of one of those large, clunky, AC adapters that plug into the back of the unit, the PS60C-2 has a fixed, permanently attached, standard power cord.
Under the pro column: You can't lose it, it won't burn out, and it won't fall out. Also, since shredders are top heavy, they sometimes tip over. I've had to replace two shredders because the the power input was damaged after such a fall. This unit appears to be equiped to handle such accidents without permanent damage. The drawback to this design is that it could be percieved as a safety issue. Typically the AC adapter inputs are pretty loose. As a result, in the event of an emergency, there is a chance that the power cord will disconect for the input before it sucks your sleeve or tie deep enough into the cutters to cause injury. Chances are that the risk is minimal. The PS60C-2 includes an auto cutoff which should stop the cutters before such an injury would occur. Also, the power switch is well within reach.
Identity theft is a real and growing problem. Even if you do not do business from your home, you need a shredder. Seemingly inocent information contained in your trash can be used to destroy your credit and reputation. I know, it happened to me before I started shredding documents in my home. The information contained in one of those credit offers we receive every day is all it takes. Protect yourself with the PS60C-2 Home/Office Shredder. If you don't, you may regret it.

GoodFellas
GoodFellas
DVD ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $14.88
292 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Movie, 2 Star DVD Release, July 20, 2002
This review is from: GoodFellas (DVD)
Not much can be written about this classic of the wiseguy genre that hasn't been written or said before. When I recently decided that it was time to begin building my DVD collection, there was no doubt in my mind that Goodfellas would hold a place of honor between "The Godfather DVD Collection" and "The Sopranos"; a thought that was sound in theory, but premature in execution.
This DVD release and its cheesy cardboard snap case could hardly hold a place on the [inexpensive] shelf at your local video store. The box said "Soundtrack Remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1", my ears said stereo.
Half way through the movie I found myself looking at the interactive menu. Puzzled, I popped out the DVD and looked for some defect that might have caused the DVD to return to the menu at this point. Upon brief inspection, I discovered that the disk is TWO SIDED! You watch half the movie, and then have to flip the darned thing over!
A film of this caliber deserves a much better DVD release. My recommendation: Don't buy this DVD release! Eventually somebody, somwhere, will get off the stick and issue a DVD release that is worthy of this film.

Garmin Etrex Legend GPS Receiver
Garmin Etrex Legend GPS Receiver
Offered by LWOutlet
Price: $137.49
16 used & new from $51.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I agree, good for what it is . . ., July 7, 2002
This is a feature rich personal navigator. I've read some complaints regarding quality control in the manufacturing process, especially relating to the glue used to attach the rubber boot over the click stick. I haven't owned this unit long enough to encounter any such problems. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones. I primarily use this unit for geocaching, and locating fishing spots.
I'm extremely impressed by the unit's accuracy and ease of use. I consistently receive accuracy readings within thirteen feet, and this is definatley a user friendly device. Regarding the complaints related to aquisition from a cold start, I've had no such problems when in the open. Aquisition appears acceptable.
I would have given this unit 5 stars if not for the fact that I do feel that reception is a little on the weak side. I've lost sattelite reception walking down a tree lined street. While I understand the need for a clear view of the sky, this unit appears to need a rediculously clear view of said sky. When in a vehicle, I just about have to hang the thing out a window to get that "clear view" view of the sky. I don't remember having such problems with my old Garmin GPS II. Maybe the antenna on this thing isn't where I think it is.
My advice to those who plan on downloading a lot of map data to this device is: buy the Vista instead. 8MB is not a lot when it comes to some large metro areas, for a few dollars more get 16MB. Although the display size is reasonable for hand held use, you might want to consider a GPS with a larger display if you plan on using your GPS mounted in a boat or vehicle.

Vanilla Sky
Vanilla Sky
DVD ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $4.99
502 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Into the breach . . ., July 7, 2002
This review is from: Vanilla Sky (DVD)
Against my better judgment, I'm going to enter the fray. Apparently Vanilla Sky doesn't offer much of a middle ground. This is one of those films that people either love, or hate.
Recently my wife went out to rent a couple of DVDs and returned with Vanilla Sky. Since I am not a Tom Cruise fan, I was disappointed. I was prepared to do something more interesting like clipping my toenails, or re-organizing my toolbox, while she watched this movie. Ultimately, she did not enjoy Vanilla Sky, my toenails didn't get clipped that night, and my toolbox is still a mess. Apparently if my wife's reaction, coupled with the response from other reviewers, is any indication, Vanilla Sky tends to appeal more to non-fans than fans of Tom Cruise.

If your goal is pure entertainment, or if you want to sit back in your chair and go along for the ride, this movie is not for you. It's not simply a spectacle. To understand and enjoy this movie, you must participate, you must think. While not completely predictable, this film contains frequent clues and hints regarding its outcome.
Vanilla Sky is beautifully filmed, and includes remarkable performances from Cruise and Cruz. Tom Cruise (As David Aames) is forced to act without the benefit of his famous good looks for perhaps only the second time in his career. He delivers an emotional performance that is pact with charisma and depth. You cannot help but fall in love with Penilope Cruz as Sophia. Kurt Russell was definitely well cast as Dr. McCabe (A psychiatrist who also appears to function as a spiritual guide for Cruise). Personally, I believe this movie's greatest flaw was the casting of Cameron Diaz as Julie Gianni. While the casting of Diaz may have been good for the box office, her performance was weak, childish, and consistently broke the pace of the movie.
Vanilla Sky inspired me to run out and purchase "Abre Los Ojos" (Open Your Eyes), the Spanish film by Alejandro Amenabar. For those few readers that don't know, Vanilla Sky is a remake of Abre Los Ojos. I've read and heard criticisms of Vanilla Sky as it compares to the original. One frequent comparison between the two films is that Vanilla Sky "over does it", especially when Tom Cruise's David Aames is compared to Eduardo Noriega's Cesar. While David Aames is the extremely wealthy head of a New York publishing firm (To a small extent David Aames struck me as a JFK JR type), Cesar is a moderately wealthy partner in a catering company (US extravagance vs. European moderation). In both versions of the story our protagonists clearly have access to the finest physicians available, and they can afford the ultimate solution depicted in this film. Regardless of any reall or imagined differences between US and Spanish health care costs, and the diferences between lifestyles depicted, in a nutshell both characters must have access to great wealth. Frankly, I don't believe that an American audience would accept that the owner of even a large catering company would have access to the kind of wealth that would make this story plausible. Also, the David Aames position in society adds another dimension to this film. Do you have friends, or just people who need something from you? While both are essentially the same films, they were created for different target audiences. Both films stand on an equally firm footing.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Dimension Collector's Series)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Dimension Collector's Series)
DVD ~ Kevin Smith
Offered by Treatspree
Price: $9.43
505 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Jay and Silent Bob Sell Out, July 7, 2002
If you loved "Beavis and Butt-Head Do America", or love flatline movies based on SNL skits, then you will absolutely love this movie. However if you expect more from Kevin Smith, and his creations "Jay and Silent Bob", you will be disapointed by "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". Maybe that's not an altogether fair comparison. I did laugh three or four times during this movie, so it was marginally better than a SNL skit movie. "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" is at heart just another brainless misadventure on the road movie. Nothing more, maybe a little less. I would have given this film fewer stars if I wasn't a sucker for the inside jokes and references to other Kevin Smith films.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3