Profile for Paul Tognetti > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 359

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Tognetti "The real world is so much more interesting!" RSS Feed (Cranston, RI USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
by Michael Harris
Price: $16.87
41 used & new from $13.29

4.0 out of 5 stars You don’t know what you got till it’s gone., August 29, 2014
“As a storm of digital dispatches hammered at the wall of my computer screen, I found myself desperate for sanctuary. There was a revulsion against these patterns imposed on me. I wanted a long and empty wooden desk where I could get some real work done. I wanted a walk in the woods with nobody to meet. I wanted release from the migraine-scale pressure of constant communication, the ping-ping-ping of perma-messaging, the dominance of communication over experience. Somehow I’d left behind my old quiet life. And now I wanted it back.” – page 15

At age 33 Michael Harris is old enough to recall what life was like before the dawn of the Internet. It occurred to him that within a generation or two there will be no one left who remembers how human beings functioned without all of this damn technology. He thought it important that someone who had experienced both conditions compare and contrast for future generations. This germ of an idea morphed into this thoughtful new book “The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We’ve Lost in a World of Constant Connection”. As all of us become increasingly invested in these emerging technologies it is probably a good idea to stop and take stock of what we are doing. Michael Harris does just that in this little book and makes some very profound observations along the way
Harris begins with the obvious premise that our fascination with all of this technology and the inordinate amount of time we spend with it comes at the expense of other things. What sorts of things are we being drawn away from? Surely, our personal relationships with family and friends suffer because most of us simply don’t have the time we used to for face-to-face encounters. And even when we do meet people up close and personal we seem to be interrupted by an endless series of digital distractions. Younger people especially seem to be more at ease with technology than with one another. Meanwhile, instant access to infinite amounts of information seems to be compromising our ability to think through problems. We have precious little quiet time. And all of a sudden knowledge acquired through study and experience seems less important. These are certainly issues worth contemplating…..if only we can find the time.

Throughout the pages of “The End of Absence” Michael Harris offers compelling evidence of how all of these changes are affecting people in different phases of their daily lives. For example, in Chapter 5 “Authenticity” Harris discusses the growing popularity of “massive open online courses” (MOOCs) and websites like Coursera.org and the implications that they have for the future of higher education. Have we really taken the time to think this through? As Harris points out real thinking requires retreat and most of us simply don’t make the time anymore. Then there is the matter of our need to share our opinions online about anything and everything. On sites like Amazon you can review anything from the latest James Patterson novel to Bac-Os. And on social media sites like Facebook we feel compelled to reveal the most intimate details of our personal lives. Once again, Harris wonders aloud if we have become slaves to the technology. He longs for absence. Finally, the author discusses how technology has fundamentally transformed the way people “hook-up”. It is a fascinating discussion. Towards the end of the book Harris chronicles his self-imposed 30 day sabbatical from technology. See how that one works out for him.

I found “The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We’ve Lost in a World of Constant Connection” to be a highly enjoyable and very well-written book. I applaud Mr. Harris for coming up with the idea. If you are someone who is struggling to keep some semblance of balance in your life then you will probably find reading this book to be well worth your time. Recommended!

Perry Mason Double Feature: Perry Mason Returns / The Case of the Notorious Nun
Perry Mason Double Feature: Perry Mason Returns / The Case of the Notorious Nun
DVD ~ Raymond Burr
Price: $15.88
23 used & new from $8.38

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like??, August 27, 2014
I was thrilled back in 1985 when it was announced that NBC and producers Dean Hargrove and Fred Silverman had convinced Raymond Burr to return to television to reprise his role as famed attorney Perry Mason in the two-hour television event "Perry Mason Returns". With Barbara Hale back at his side as Della Street the film was an overwhelming success and more episodes were ordered. The two hour format proved to be perfect and over the next several years a total of 27 films were made. "Perry Mason Double Feature 1" offers up the first two films in the series. "Perry Mason Returns" is a fine effort whereby our hero resigns his judgeship to defend his old friend Della Street who has been falsely accused of murder. Personally, I preferred the second film "The Case of the Notorious Nun" featuring Timothy Bottoms as Father Thomas O'Neil and Michele Green as Sister Margaret, a nun who has also been accused of murder. I found Ms. Green's performance to be especially compelling. Meanwhile, William Katt does a workmanlike job as private detective Paul Drake Jr.

If you enjoyed the original "Perry Mason" series as much as I did then you are probably going to want to own all of these films. For me these two hour movies were "must see" TV back in the day. This is good clean entertainment that can be enjoyed by the entire family. You should know that these two films are also available as part of the "Perry Mason Movie Collection: Volume 1" which is also sold on Amazon and may prove to be the better buy. Highly recommended!

Benjamin Moore Arborcoat Translucent Paint
Benjamin Moore Arborcoat Translucent Paint
Offered by Miller Bros Paint
Price: $53.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A high quality product at a reasonable price., August 27, 2014
Recently I went to my local Benjamin Moore dealer to pick up a couple of gallons of Moorwood Natural Penetrating Deck and Siding Stain. I have been using this product since my wife and I had our house re-shingled way back in 1994. We just love the natural look of weathered shingles. I was quite surprised to learn that this product has been reformulated and rebranded as Benjamin Moore Arborcoat 623-10 Natural Translucent Paint. I was a bit apprehensive as I always had great success with the Moorwood product. Not to worry. Benjamin Moore Arborcoat Translucent Paint appears to be every bit as good. Save for a modest difference in the color (earth brown instead of dark gold) very little has changed. I always avoid the temptation to take shortcuts. Rather than use a roller or spray it on I apply the product with a brush. True it does take more time but I find it very satisfying to watch this stuff soak into the wood. My experience has been that the protection from water and sun damage lasts approximately 2-3 years. Furthermore, I have found over the years that this product is quite effective in preventing mold and mildew from rearing its ugly head. The proof is in the pudding. After 20 years I would estimate that only about 5%-10% of the shingles on our home need replacing and as you might expect these are in areas exposed to the harmful rays of the sun all day long.

Benjamin Moore Arborcoat Translucent Paint is extremely easy to use and while not cheap I find the product to be reasonably price. After all, you get what you pay for. Clean-up is quick and easy too. We have a wooden deck and I have always treated that with Thompson's Water Seal. I simply never thought to use this product on the deck. I just may give that a whirl this fall. So if you enjoy the "natural" look of weathered shingles I would urge you to give this product a try. You will not be disappointed. Very highly recommended!

The Future of the Gun
The Future of the Gun
by Frank Miniter
Price: $17.70
49 used & new from $12.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank Miniter's superb presentation oozes common sense., August 20, 2014
This review is from: The Future of the Gun (Hardcover)
"There are two wildly different gun cultures in America--the freedom-loving, gun rights culture that upholds the responsible use of guns for hunting, sport, and self-defense, and the criminal culture that thrives in spite of, or even because of, government attempts at restricting gun rights. Those two cultures lead to different futures. The path we take will determine the future of the gun and the future of our freedom." - page 9

I have no dog in this particular fight. I have never owned a gun or fired a gun. I have absolutely zero interest in hunting. Over the past several decades I have heard the issue of a citizens' Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms debated ad nauseam on radio and television and in magazines and newspapers. Much to my surprise, after carefully considering the arguments made by both sides, more often than not I found myself siding with the NRA and other Second Amendment advocates. Yet when discussing this issue with friends and relatives in the deep blue state in which I reside I was at a loss to intelligently articulate many of the reasons why I had come to this conclusion. There is so much misinformation out there that needs to be refuted. I really needed to know more. Recently, I came across an intriguing new book that I hoped would assist me in correcting this situation. In "The Future of the Gun" author Frank Miniter offers up a brief history of guns in America, explains the volatile and divisive politics of this issue and speculates on what the future might hold for firearms in this nation. It is an extremely compelling read.

Perhaps the biggest lie being perpetrated by the gun control crowd is the definition of what an "assault weapon" is. I must confess that before reading "The Future of the Gun" I was confused by this issue myself. No more. Miniter describes some of the scare tactics employed by our friends on the "left" and how they take quick advantage of tragedies like Newtown to ram through highly restrictive gun-control legislation that has the potential to make criminals out of hard working, law-abiding citizens. Many Americans are simply unaware that fully automatic weapons a/k/a machine guns have been illegal in this country since 1934. Furthermore, rifles account for less than 3% of the homicides in this nation annually. The politicians and the media will never tell you this. Meanwhile, gun-control advocates want to force Americans to register their guns. This is pure folly as there are currently over 300,000,000 guns in circulation in America. That horse left the barn a long time ago. They tried this in Canada. The cost proved to be exorbitant and the idea was quickly dropped. Miniter also cites the fact that homicides involving firearms in the U.S. actually dropped by some 39% from 1993 to 2011 but once again the mainstream media refuses to report it.

In the final portion of "The Future of the Gun" Frank Miniter discusses the thriving firearms business in America today. I was surprised to discover that there are currently more than 7000 manufacturers producing firearms and/or ammunition these days. Lots of Americans earn a very good living producing the firearms that their fellow citizens are demanding. Meanwhile, it comes as no surprise that gun manufacturers like Remington have been closing plants in deep blue states like Connecticut, New York and Colorado where they are no longer welcome and moving their operations to more gun-friendly places like Texas, North Carolina and Florida. The author also reports that in the future guns will be lighter, safer and much more accurate. For the first time ever many guns can be sized to fit the individual customer replete with the options the customer desires. Exciting new technologies like CNC (computer numerical controlled machines) and 3D printing are opening up whole new vistas firearms manufacturers could have only dreamed of just a decade ago. The future of the industry appears to be bright.

As the patently lawless and reckless Obama administration continues to promote policies that undermine the security of our nation the American people have quietly responded by purchasing the firearms they deem necessary to protect themselves, their families and their property. These folks believe in the culture of individual liberty and personal responsibility that our Founding Fathers held so dear. In "The Future of the Gun" I learned that more than 100,000,000 Americans now own a gun. You might be surprised at some of the folks who now own guns. Citing a plethora of statistics from all over the world Frank Miniter has convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that law-abiding citizens should have the right to keep and bear arms. Indeed, history teaches us what happens when governments are allowed to confiscate guns from its citizens. So whether you are a sportsman, history buff or just a concerned citizen "The Future of the Gun" would be a great choice for you. This is a well written book that is certainly worthy of your time and attention. I might add that there is also a very helpful appendix at the end of the book with photos and descriptions of many of the weapons being discussed in the book. Highly recommended!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2014 6:44 AM PDT

The End of Oil: On the Edge of a Perilous New World By Paul Roberts
The End of Oil: On the Edge of a Perilous New World By Paul Roberts
by -Author-
14 used & new from $1.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Overwhelming evidence that Americans need to become much more energy efficient., August 19, 2014
Imagine living in a third world country where a great percentage of your day consists of gathering twigs and sticks or animal dung to use for in preparing the food and keeping your family warm during cold weather. Are you aware that one and a half billion people around the world exist in such abominable circumstances? You can be pretty sure that such people must out of necessity carefully weigh the merits of every ounce of the energy they consume each day. Now contrast this with the way that we in the United States utilize our energy resources. The U.S. Constitution guarantees every American the freedom to be foolish. And there is no doubt that a large percentage of us are.

Here in the land of the 30 minute shower, oversized SUVs that get 10 miles to the gallon and houses three times the size of the ones we grew up in, we Americans are squandering energy at an ever increasing rate. In "The End of Oil: On The Edge of A Perilous New World" Paul Roberts argues that this must change....and soon. During the energy crisis of the mid 1970's most Americans began to slowly but surely wean themselves away from oil. Jimmy Carter, not a particularly effective President but a man with considerable moral authority convinced the American people that conservation was both the moral and the patriotic thing to do. The people followed the President's lead and in an incredibly short time cut back their consumption of oil dramatically. But market forces took hold and oil prices plummeted. Suddenly there was a glut of oil on the market again. Gradually we got back to our old habits and subsequent administrations actually encouraged our short-sightedness. Roberts argues that the Bush administration continues to lead us down a dangerous path. By totally dismissing conservation, failing to fund R&D for alternative fuels and encouraging increased production and consumption of fossil fuels, our government is setting us up for disaster.

According to Paul Roberts, the world is rapidly depleting stocks of fossil fuels. Within the next 10-20 years the world is likely to reach peak production of oil. Once that happens the world could be in for a very rough ride. The oil that remains will be increasing harder to get to and as a result considerably more expensive. Add to that the rapidly increasing demand in places like China and India and suddenly we have a much bigger problem to deal with. Are not the people of China and India and other such nations entitled to their fair share of the worlds resources? And even if many Americans couldn't care less about people halfway around the world do they not worry about their own children and grand-children? And what about the increased pollution that comes from our continued reliance on fossil fuels? It seems to me that we are taking an awful lot for granted here.

In his incredibly well-research book, Roberts discusses the myriad facets of this most complicated problem. Learn all about the current status and the prospects for alternative fuels like hydrogen, wind and solar among others. A good bit of the book also delves into the politics of energy and who the important players are. On a personal note I can tell you that as a result of reading "The End of Oil" I am even more acutely aware of the energy I personally consume. Now since I first read and reviewed this book more than a decade ago a new technology known as "fracking" has unlocked vast new amounts of oil and natural gas in our nation. While this unforeseen development has certainly eased the problem in the short run the long term issues discussed in "The End Of Oil" remain essentially the same. We can no longer afford to squander these finite resources. We have been given some additional time to get our house in order and we should not repeat the mistakes of the past. I found "The End of Oil: On The Edge of A Perilous New World" to be a thoughtful and extremely well-written book that is certainly worth your time and attention. Highly recommended!

Grace Kelly (A Life in Pictures)
Grace Kelly (A Life in Pictures)
by Pierre-Henri Verlhac
Price: $14.96
11 used & new from $12.26

3.0 out of 5 stars Grace Kelly as you have never seen her before., August 13, 2014
Ordinarily I would not be caught dead thumbing through a photo album. But while browsing at my local bookstore the other day a little book caught my eye. Much to my surprise I picked it up and quickly became mesmerized by the subject. That book was "Grace Kelly: A Life in Pictures". Indeed, I discovered that the actress turned princess was photogenic from a very early age and in virtually every situation imaginable. Whether building sand castles on the beach as a young child, appearing in a magazine ad for Old Gold cigarettes in the early 1950's or vying for Jimmy Stewart's attention in the Alfred Hitchcock classic "Rear Window" Grace Kelly had it all. She combined breathtaking beauty with a magnetic personality. She was a true American original.

Now while I have enjoyed a number of her films over the years I knew precious little about her life. While a brief bio appears at the beginning of the book the life story of this remarkable woman is for the most part told in the impressive array of black and white and color photographs that appear here. There are neat photos from a number of her most popular films including "To Catch a Thief", "Rear Window", "The Country Girl" and "High Society" which was her final film before she became Princess of Monaco at the age of 26. There are also dozens of photos from virtually every phase of her personal life. I especially enjoyed one where Grace is surrounded by her three young children. Moms aren't supposed to look like that. And as you might expect there are quite a few photos (including wedding photos) featuring Grace with her loving husband Prince Rainier. My, what a handsome couple they made! Sadly, Princess Grace was killed in a tragic automobile accident in 1982. She was just 52 years old. Yes, for the record there is also a photo or two from her funeral.

Save for the funeral photos I found "Grace Kelly: A Life in Pictures" to be an absolute delight. I just kept flipping pages and in about forty-five minutes I had gone through the entire book! Grace Kelly was aging gracefully and she never lost her considerable sex appeal. Having said that, I must agree with reviewers of previous editions of this book (it was originally released In 2007) who felt that the presentation was a bit haphazard and should have been done in a more thoughtful way. Grace Kelly deserves better. Still, if you are a collector of classic movie memorabilia you might consider adding "Grace Kelly: A Life in Pictures" to your stash of stuff. Regardless of the aforementioned flaws this is eye candy for the ages.

The Vanishing Neighbor: The Transformation of American Community
The Vanishing Neighbor: The Transformation of American Community
by Marc J. Dunkelman
Price: $18.99
65 used & new from $10.94

5.0 out of 5 stars The consequences of some of the fundamental changes that the American people have chosen to make in their everyday lives., August 13, 2014
More than a decade ago I read Robert Putnam's seminal book "Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community". It was one of the best books I ever read. Mr. Putnam proffered that the American people were becoming increasingly isolated from one another. He pointed to the decline of such fraternal organizations as the Elks Club, the Knights of Columbus and the Rotary Club that had thrived in the postwar era as evidence of his theory. I thought Putnam made a very compelling case for his position. Recently, I came across a brand new book that revisits many of the issues addressed in "Bowling Alone" and offers some alternative explanations for what is really going on in American society these days. In "The Vanishing Neighbor: The Transformation of American Community" author Marc J. Dunkelman offers up an altogether different set of reasons why it appears that the American people seem less engaged than they used to be. Once again, I could not put this one down.

As fantastic as it might seem, in "The Vanishing Neighbor" Marc Dunkelman compares the way Americans have now sorted themselves out to the planet Saturn. He writes: "Conjure up the image of the planet Saturn. As you may recall from the diagram on the wall of your third-grade classroom, the solar system's sixth plant is orbited by a series of gaseous rings, each of which extends on what appears to be a single plane. That image offers a perfect way to imagine how individuals sort their family, friends and acquaintances." Central to the author's presentation is the idea that over the past couple of decades Americans have made a conscious decision to spend more and more time "cocooned" with those closest to them. This group (usually nuclear family and closest friends) comprise the so-called "inner ring". According to Dunkelman the increased time that individuals spend with their "inner ring" necessarily comes at the expense of those they used to spend time with in the "middle rings". The "middle rings" can be construed as what most of us over the age of 50 used to think of as "community". Back in the 1950's and 1960's Americans of different backgrounds, professions and economic strata were much more likely to interact with each other. They worshipped at the same churches, encountered each other at the barber shop, drank together at the corner tavern and worked together in fraternal and civic organizations. It was in these sort of settings that notes were compared, issues debated, ideas exchanged and wisdom passed on. Without these mundane interactions of everyday life it is becoming more and more difficult for people to grasp why people who disagree with them believe what they believe. Here in the early 21st century these "middle ring" relationships seem to have receded while losing ground to "outer ring" acquaintances and organizations. For example, rather than choosing to become involved in the time-consuming service organizations so prevalent in previous generations Americans have instead chosen to "send a check" to organizations like the Tea Party or Planned Parenthood that represent their particular political point of view. "Let the professionals do it" we say. For better or for worse it is becoming increasingly apparent that what limited time and energy Americans have today is being devoted to our most intimate relationships and to a set of more one-dimensional, impersonal connections.

Time and again in the pages of "The Vanishing Neighbor" Marc Dunkelman makes the point that most of our institutions were designed for the 1950's society that was characterized by "townships" and all of those "middle ring" relationships we used to treasure. The author explains that "townships" have largely been replaced by "networks" and that we are in the midst of a rather painful but necessary transition. He is not nearly as pessimistic as Putnam was all those years ago and posits that once we reinvent our institutions to mirror 21st century society things will likely turn around. Moreover, Dunkelman speculates as to what some of these institutional changes might look like. I especially liked the proposal for Universal National Service which would bring Americans from different segments of society together to work for the common good.

I found "The Vanishing Neighbor: The Transformation of American Community" to be far and away the most interesting book I have read thus far in 2014. This is a well-written book that is well worth your time and attention. There is a lot of food for thought in this volume. Very highly recommended!

Essential Fifth Dimension
Essential Fifth Dimension
Price: $16.48
28 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding two-disc anthology at a very nice price, August 8, 2014
They rose to the top of the pop music world virtually overnight! This talented quintet, originally known as The Versatiles, formed in Los Angeles in 1966 and within a year they had secured a recording contract with Johnny Rivers' fledgling Soul City label. Rivers loved the sound but hated their name and as a result group member Ron Townsend came up with the name we would all come to know so well...The 5th Dimension. And it did not take very long for the group to make its presence felt. Their very first release "Go Where You Wanna Go" cracked the Billboard Top 20. Just five months later the group would score a major hit with Jimmy Webb's "Up Up and Away". Yes, the 5th Dimension was on its way! Over the next six years the group would prove to be a dominant force in American popular music amassing a total of nearly 30 charted singles and a dozen hit albums. All in all, the group boasted an impressive total of 14 gold records for their efforts.

In 2011 Sony Legacy released the 2 disc anthology "The Essential Fifth Dimension". This magnificent collection features just about every single one of the 5th Dimension's 29 charted singles on the Soul City and Bell labels. Throughout the late 60's and early 70's the music of the 5th Dimension was a staple on AM radio all over this land. Enjoy once again terrific tunes like "Sweet Blindness" from the summer of 1968, "(Last Night) I Didn't Get To Sleep At All" from 1972 and a pair of #1 smashes "Wedding Bell Blues" and of course the groups biggest record ever "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" from the Broadway rock musical "Hair". As is so often the case, some of my favorite 5th Dimension tunes were not necessarily their biggest hits. If you dig great harmony then you are almost certain to enjoy a pair of the groups early hits. Both "Paper Cup" and "Carpet Man" are an absolute joy to listen to. I am also quite partial to "Workin' On A Groovy Thing" a tune written by Neil Sedaka that hit #20 back in the summer of '69. Perhaps my very favorite song in this collection is a tune most may not be familiar with. "Ashes To Ashes" was hardly even noticed back in 1973 but featured some of the fabulous harmonies that had been a staple of the group earlier in their career.

Now you may recall that the music industry and fans alike were shocked when Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. announced that they were leaving the group in 1975. The husband and wife team recorded "You Don't Have To Be A Star" for ABC records in 1976 and it climbed all the way to #1. McCoo and Davis went on to appear in a number of successful Broadway productions. And what became of the rest of the 5th Dimension? Original members Florence LaRue, Lamont McLemore and Ron Townsend managed to keep the group together and continued to make appearances around the country. However, the days of the 5th Dimension as chartbusters had long since come to an end.

In the summer of 1991, all five members of the original 5th Dimension agreed to reunite for a series of concerts, It was the first time that they had worked together in 15 years. I was lucky enough to catch one of those shows. And believe me the chemistry was still there! "The Essential 5th Dimension" would be a great way to enjoy all of this magical music once again. I found the remastering job on these three dozen tracks to be positively first rate. Furthermore, the price is extremely reasonable. Very highly recommended!

Summer Rains: The Essential Rivers 1964-1975
Summer Rains: The Essential Rivers 1964-1975
Price: $19.99
34 used & new from $14.15

5.0 out of 5 stars A deserving candidate for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!, August 8, 2014
For more than a decade Johnny Rivers was a consistent hit maker and record producer. His music was a staple of Top 40 radio. Yet many people feel that the man has never received his due. In 2006 Australia's Raven Records released what many feel is the best single disc compilation ever of this talented and very versatile artist. "Summer Rains: The Essential Rivers 1964-1975" includes all the big hits you would remember from the radio and a whole lot more. Enjoy once again all of the big hits like "Seventh Son" and "Mountain of Love" from his early years to the biggest and best from his heydey including the 1966 #1 hit "Poor Side of Town", " Secret Agent Man" and of one of my personal favorites "Summer Rain". But there are a number of other gems included in this collection that you may not be familiar with. In the summer of '69 Johnny released "Muddy River". The song peaked at #41 on the Billboard Hot 100 but I think it just might be the best record he ever made. Check it out! Also included on this disc is his very fine rendition of the Pete Seeger folk classic "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" from the golden year 1965. Johnny puts his rock & roll shoes back on for his raucous recording of Huey Piano Smith's "Rockin' Pneumonia--Boogie Woogie Flu" which was a Top Ten hit in 1972. Now just in case you are wondering these are all the original Imperial and United Artists recordings you would remember from the radio. No cheesy re-recordings here. The remastering job is first rate and for the most part I am good with the 25 tunes selected for this fine anthology. My only regret is that Johnny's final Top Ten hit "Swayin' To The Music (Slow Dancin')" from 1977 was for some inexplicable reason not included here.

Johnny Rivers has proven to be a venerable performer. I saw him perform several years ago and he looked and sounded every bit as good then as he did forty years earlier. Now the last time I checked Johnny Rivers has still not been inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Is he a Hall of Famer? If you have any doubts just listen to "Summer Rains: The Essential Rivers 1964-1975". Johnny Rivers is truly an American original with a sound all his own. I am hopeful that one day he will get the recognition he so richly deserves. Yet another superb release from Raven Records. Very highly recommended!

The Complete Dunhill/ABC Hit Singles
The Complete Dunhill/ABC Hit Singles
Price: $14.99
40 used & new from $10.81

5.0 out of 5 stars The fuel that made Top 40 radio run....fun, upbeat music!!!, August 7, 2014
Return with me now to the late 60's and early 70's when the Top 40 format was still king on AM radio. Most stations would kick off each hour with a driving uptempo tune. Enter The Grass Roots. As far as I'm concerned they were the personification of Top 40 radio. A great many people despised the so-called "bubblegum" music in those days. But this music was better than that. I never knew anyone who disliked The Grass Roots. Lead singer Rob Grilli and the gang simply made outstanding pop singles. Now in 2014 Real Gone Music has released the most comprehensive Grass Roots collection ever. "The Grass Roots: The Complete Original Dunhill/ABC Hit Singles" offers up two dozen terrific tunes. Enjoy once again all-time favorites like "Midnight Confessions", "I'd Wait A Million Years", "Things I Should Have Said" and "Temptation Eyes" to name but a few. Personally, I enjoyed a number of the group's less popular releases including "Where Were You When I Needed You", "The River Is Wide" and "Glory Bound". All are included here. Back in the day I never hesitated to grab the new Grass Roots 45 as soon as it was released and I was rarely disappointed.

At a time when rock & roll was getting a whole lot more complicated The Grass Roots 45's were a welcome breath of fresh air. There is something to be said for simplicity. You will probably remember the majority of the 24 tracks on this disc and they sound every bit as fresh and exciting today as they did back then. If you are nostalgic for the music you grew up with "The Grass Roots: The Complete Original Dunhill/ABC Hit Singles" would be a great choice for you. Pop it in, crank it up and sing along. Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20