Profile for Paul Tognetti > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 418

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Tognetti "The real world is so much more interesting!" RSS Feed (Cranston, RI USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Road To Avonlea: Season 6 - Digitally Re-Mastered
Road To Avonlea: Season 6 - Digitally Re-Mastered
DVD ~ Zachary Bennett
Price: $40.88
15 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stories that evoke the full range of emotions and characters you truly care about., June 25, 2015
My wife and I got hooked on "Avonlea" during its initial run on The Disney Channel in the early 1990's. As I recall we were both very pleased to find a show devoid of all of the double entendre and sexual innuendo that was becoming so prevalant on prime time television in those days. Well here we are nearly two decades later and network and cable TV continues to sink to new lows. My wife and I simply don't watch it anymore. As an alternative we have built our own library of classic motion pictures and quality television shows. About a year or so ago we purchased all seven seasons of Kevin Sullivan's phenomenal Canadian TV series "Road To Avonlea". These are not cheap but I must tell you they are worth every penny. To our way of thinking "Road to Avonlea" is the finest television series ever created. We have just concluded viewing the sixth season of the series for the second time. Much to our delight we found "Avonlea: The Complete Sixth Season" to be every bit as entertaining as the first five. This is no small feat!

As always the photography is nothing short of spectacular and the writing superb. We see less of series regulars Felicity King and Olivia Dale and more of White Sands Hotel owner Simon Tremayne and general store owner Muriel Stacy. Over the course of the season Muriel ties the knot with Clive Pettibone and Rachel Lynde suffers a debilitating stroke. It constantly amazes me how much I have come to care about so many of these characters. As far as I am concerned "Road to Avonlea: Season 6" is family entertainment at its absolute best. Highly recommended!

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Episodes Only Collection)
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Episodes Only Collection)
DVD ~ Rod Serling
Price: $77.49
15 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired writing and superb performances were the hallmark of this amazing series., June 25, 2015
In recent years I always looked forward to holiday weekends so I could sample some of the episodes during "The Twilight Zone" marathons on SyFy. But alas it seemed the network always showed the same 30 or 40 episodes. Although the series was available on DVD I found the price tag on Image Entertainment's 2006 release "The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series" to be quite a bit more than I was willing to pay. Then in 2013 the folks at Image decided to release a scaled-back version featuring each and every one of the 156 classic episodes minus all of the special features. This 5 disc box was much more reasonably priced and I jumped at the chance to purchase it. And let me tell you I was not disappointed.

I have spent the last few months watching the entire series and save for a handful of clunkers found the overwhelming majority of the episodes to be thoughtfully written and highly entertaining. It was fun to see so many stars from the golden age of television as well as up-and-coming young actors like Jack Klugman, Robert Redford, Burt Reynolds and William Shatner to name but a few. Then there all of those terrific character actors you have seen a million times. You recognize the faces but are hard pressed to come up with the names. Great stuff! The writing is almost always superb and the camera work top notch. Meanwhile, depending on the episode creator Rod Serling's clever introductions add a welcome touch of intrigue or humor. I was quite surprised at the large number of these episodes that I had never even seen before. "The Twilight Zone" is one the few TV shows from that period that hold up well even to this day.

If you are a fan of science fiction or classic television then "The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series" would be the perfect choice for you. This set is very reasonably priced and would be a great gift for that Baby Boomer in your life. A truly outstanding series. Very highly recommended!

Springfield Polyresin Thermometer, 12-Inch, Tree Slice
Springfield Polyresin Thermometer, 12-Inch, Tree Slice
Price: $33.99
3 used & new from $27.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and eye-catching., June 24, 2015
I must confess that I fell in love with the Springfield Polyresin 12” Tree Slice Thermometer the first time I saw it on Amazon last fall. I felt compelled to order it right away. Because we reside in the Northeast I opted to delay hanging it until springtime. The unit has now been up for a couple of months and I must tell you that my wife and I could not be happier. We have natural weathered shingles on our home and we find the Springfield Tree Slice Thermometer to be a handsome addition to our deck area. It blends in with our décor famously. In addition, this thermometer is pretty darn accurate.

Now I see where some customers complain that this item is quite fragile and a number of them reported that the wind dislodged it and the item broke. It is rather brittle so I can see where that might happen if you are not careful about where you place it, As such, I think we will consider this more as a spring/summer/fall decoration and take it down for the chilly winter months. All in all we are very happy with our purchase. Highly recommended!

Panasonic KX-TGD212N dect_6.0 2-Handset Landline Telephone
Panasonic KX-TGD212N dect_6.0 2-Handset Landline Telephone
Price: $41.50
111 used & new from $24.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this product., June 23, 2015
The time had come to purchase new landline phones. The wall phone in our kitchen was probably 40 years old. The ringer no longer worked and the 15 foot cord was a royal pain in the butt. Meanwhile, our 8 or 9 year old single unit portable phone was no longer holding a charge and we were unable to find fresh replacement batteries. I looked at a couple of dozen choices on Amazon and settled on the Panasonic KX-TGD212N. It turned out to be a splendid choice for our particular needs. The unit was relatively easy to assemble and the phones were fully charged in just 7 hours. The main base comes with a wall phone attachment and much to my amazement it fit on to our existing receptacle like a glove. This was completely unexpected and was a major plus for us.

Anyway, the handsets work great and seem to be capable of most of the features anyone would want. I will agree with some of the other reviewers who found that the product is not quite as rugged as I would have liked, especially the base. The AT&T portable that I am replacing seems to be a bit more substantial. Nevertheless, I hope to get a good many years out of these phones. I am also very pleased that the units are powered by rechargeable Ni-MH AAA batteries which are relatively easy to find. All in all, a solid four star item at a very reasonable price. Recommended.

RULES 4 RADICALS V736 1st (first) Edition by Alinsky, Saul published by Vintage (1972) Paperback
25 used & new from $21.83

2.0 out of 5 stars Conscience, due process and the rule of law be damned!, June 17, 2015
There is an old biblical expression "Know Thine Enemy". For years I have been hearing about Saul Alinsky's controversial 1971 book "Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals" and how much influence it has exerted in Leftist circles. Barack Obama is a disciple as is Hillary Clinton. So I finally decided to read the book myself. After plodding through about 2/3 of "Rules for Radicals" I decided I had had enough of this drivel. What a cynical view of the world! Essentially, Alinsky believes that "the ends justify the means" in virtually any situation you can imagine. Furthermore, it matters not who gets hurt in the process. This is precisely how the American people had Obamacare shoved down their collective throats. While I can see how this worldview might appeal to some naïve young skulls full of mush I cannot fathom how anyone with half a brain in his/her head can buy this garbage. I find the radicals' hatred of dogma of any kind to be particularly disturbing. So if you want to know what makes the Radical Left tick by all means read "Rules for Radicals". For these folks this is the Bible and Progressivism their religion. You will come away with a clearer understanding of what is happening to us in America today. Shallow and very disturbing.

Young and Innocent - Digitally Remastered
Young and Innocent - Digitally Remastered
DVD ~ Nova Pilbeam
Price: $8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly filmed finale caps off this 1937 Alfred Hitchcock gem., June 4, 2015
The more time I spend watching Alfred Hitchcock's British films from the 1930's the more I like them. The latest film I have sampled is 1937's "Young and Innocent". Released in the U.S. as "The Girl Was Young" this motion picture grabbed my attention from the compelling opening scene and simply never let go.

As is so often the case in a Hitchcock film the plot revolves around an ordinary person who finds himself caught up in an extraordinary situation. Robert Tisdale (Derrick De Marney) is a struggling young writer who is simply in the wrong place at the wrong time when the body of a prominent young movie star washes up on the beach. Tisdale knows the victim and starts to run for help. He is spotted by a pair of young women and is ultimately accused of doing the deed. The victim had been strangled and the murder weapon appears to be the belt from a trenchcoat. Conicidentally, Tisdale owns such a trenchcoat but it had been inexplicably stolen from him just days earlier. With the circumstantial evidence mounting against him Tisdale manages to escape from police custody. He hooks up with an attractive young lady named Erica Burgoyne (Nova Pilbeam) who just happens to be the daughter of the local Chief Constable. Tisdale sets off on a desperate attempt to find his missing raincoat which he believes would vindicate him. Young Miss Burgoyne thinks him guilty at first but gradually comes to believe in his innocence. The balance of "Young and Innocent" revolves around the desperate search for that trenchcoat, the cat and mouse game between Tisdale and Burgoyne and the authorities and the slowly blossoming relationship between this most unlikely couple. In general, I found "Young and Innocent" to be a bit lighter than most of the Hitchcock films I have enjoyed over the years.

But the piece de resistance in "Young and Innocent" is the closing scene that ultimately reveals the true idenity of the murderer of this young woman. Tisdale and Burgoyne ultimate track down the missing raincoat which was in the possession of an aging derelict known as Old WIll (Edward Rigby). Old Will finally surrenders the coat but alas the belt is missing. Old Will insists that he was given the coat by a man with a very distinctive twitch in his eyes. Just when it appears that all hope was gone Tisdale discovers a small but important clue in the trenchcoat pocket. It was a box of matches from the Grand Hotel a place Tisdall had never been to. The trio immediately heads for the hotel in search of the man with the twitching eyes. For my money the closing sequence of "Young and Innocent" is one of the most unexpected and cleverly filmed finales in any Hitchcock movie that I have seen. Outstanding!

Overall, I found "Young and Innocent" to be the best of early Hitchcock films I have sampled thus far. I had never even heard of this one before. I urge you to give it a look. Highly recommended!

Ultimate Sinatra
Ultimate Sinatra
Price: $11.88
70 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb career-spanning sampler of the very best of the Chairman of the Board., May 19, 2015
This review is from: Ultimate Sinatra (Audio CD)
Happened to hear this disc playing at my local bookstore when I popped in there today at lunchtime. Great stuff! "Ultimate Sinatra" features 25 of Frank's biggest and best. It was great to hear the swinging 1940's hit single "Saturday Night (Is The Loneliest Night of the Week) once again. What a sensational tune! "Ultimate Sinatra" also features over a dozen of Ol' Blue Eyes hits from his heyday at Capitol records. You can simply never go wrong with great standards like "Come Fly With Me", "All The Way", "Witchcraft" and "Young at Heart" to name but a few. I was also pleased to see that a few of my personal favorites such as "Learnin' The Blues" and "Love and Marriage" were also included here. You will also find a half dozen of Sinatra's biggest hits from his time at Reprise records in the 1960's and '70's. "That's Life" certainly sounds every bit as fresh today as it did nearly a half-century ago while "My Way" still manages to bring a tear to my eye.

"Ultimate Sinatra" would be a great choice for a younger person looking to see what all the fuss was about or for older folks looking to replace older Sinatra compilations. The sound quality was terrific and from what I heard these are the original hit recordings. You certainly cannot go wrong with this one. Highly recommended!

Frank Sinatra : Ultimate Sinatra
Frank Sinatra : Ultimate Sinatra
2 used & new from $26.01

Happened to hear this disc playing at my local bookstore when I popped in there today at lunchtime. Great stuff! "Ultimate Sinatra" features 25 of Frank's biggest and best. It was great to hear the swinging 1940's hit single "Saturday Night (Is The Loneliest Night of the Week) once again. What a sensational tune! "Ultimate Sinatra" also features over a dozen of Ol' Blue Eyes hits from his heyday at Capitol records. You can simply never go wrong with great standards like "Come Fly With Me", "All The Way", "Witchcraft" and "Young at Heart" to name but a few. I was also pleased to see that a few of my personal favorites such as "Learnin' The Blues" and "Love and Marriage" were also included here. You will also find a half dozen of Sinatra's biggest hits from his time at Reprise records in the 1960's and '70's. "That's Life" certainly sounds every bit as fresh today as it did nearly a half-century ago while "My Way" still manages brings a tear to my eye.

Lord, Have Mercy The Healing Power of Confession by Hahn, Scott [Doubleday Religion,2003] (Hardcover)
9 used & new from $23.76

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling case to make confession a part of your life., April 23, 2015
I'll be the first to admit it. Although I have been a practicing Catholic all of my life I have failed to take full advantage of the sacrament of Penance. I have rattled off all of the usual excuses but after reading "Lord, Have Mercy" I realize that the fault for this blatant oversight is all my own. Scott Hahn makes a thorough and powerful case why we need confession. He presents us with a history of the sacrament from its earliest origins in the Jewish tradition. He argues that the average Catholic must come to a more mature understanding of this sacrament and needs to make frequent confession an important part of his/her spiritual life. Otherwise, we are sure to fall into the trap of blaming everyone else--our victims, our parents, our boss or perhaps even the government--for our own shortcomings and failures. I especially appreciated the "Examination of Conscience" presented in the appendix of this book. It is an extremely helpful tool for anyone preparing for the sacrament of Penance. Highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Spirit, possess me now!, April 23, 2015
This simple but powerful prayer was taught to me by a senior priest in our diocese about a year ago. I must confess that I despite the fact that I am a lifelong practicing Catholic I never really gave all that much thought to the workings of the Holy Spirit in my own life. But I now invoke this prayer several times each day and as a result I wanted to learn more about the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity. So during this past Lenten season I picked up Alan Schreck's marvelous book "Your Life in the Holy Spirit: What Every Catholic Needs to Know and Experience". Trust me, reading this marvelous little book turned out to be a real eye-opener for me. In just a couple of short months I feel I have developed a strong relationship with the Holy Spirit. At the ripe old age of 63 I have finally discovered what a powerful, positive impact the Spirit can have on my life. If you are a Catholic seeking to deepen your own faith then I would urge you to pick up this book. Read it slowly and spend time meditating on what Alan Schreck has to say. It will change your spiritual life! Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20