Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL
Profile for Paul Tognetti > Reviews

Paul Tognetti's Profile

Customer Reviews: 973
Top Reviewer Ranking: 453

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Tognetti "The real world is so much more interesting!" RSS Feed (Cranston, RI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Duncan Hines Perfect Size Cake Mix, Strawberry & Creme, 9.4 Ounce
Duncan Hines Perfect Size Cake Mix, Strawberry & Creme, 9.4 Ounce
Price: $7.88
7 used & new from $7.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive and way too much work!, November 22, 2015
Since it is only my wife and I we rarely decide to make a regular cake. While we might have a craving for something sweet at the moment we really don't want to be picking at leftover cake for the remainder of the week. That is why I decided to try the new Duncan Hines Perfect Size Strawberries and Cream Cake. It sounded like a great idea. But like some of the other reviewers I really did not read the instructions before purchasing.

The cake itself went together easily enough but it still took about the same amount of time to prepare as a regular packaged cake mix. It comes with its own little pan. You bake for 34-39 minutes at 300 degrees. But what I found particularly annoying was that I was now required to mix up the frosting utilizing the electric mixer for a second time. And judging from the comments of some of the other reviewers the frosting really is not all that great anyway. I decided that I really did not want to spend the time so I tossed the frosting packet. We will enjoy our little cake with some Cool Whip on top.

Even with the promotional pricing the Duncan Hines Perfect Size Strawberries and Cream Cake set me back about $1.50 for what amounts to two pieces of cake. The quality of the cake itself was OK but nothing special; My final verdict: A big thumbs down on this item!

Merchants in the Temple: Inside Pope Francis's Secret Battle Against Corruption in the Vatican
by Gianluigi Nuzzi
Price: $17.34
43 used & new from $15.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Francis’s valiant crusade to put an end to corruption, malfeasance, lack of transparency, and political intrigue at the Vatican., November 22, 2015
“For too long, in an incredibly facile and superficial manner, millions have been disbursed to pay for unbudgeted jobs that were executed without the required oversight and with ridiculously padded invoices. Many have taken advantage, pocketing even the donations of the faithful, the offerings that were supposed to go to the needy. The Pope then addresses the cardinals who lead dicasteries that over the years have mismanaged Church money, the department heads who haven’t exercised the necessary oversight. His criticism of them is overt: harsh, direct, scathing, even humiliating. He emphasizes issues that any manager working even in the smallest business should know and understand.” – page 13

As a practicing orthodox Catholic who reads and pays attention to current events I knew there were major financial problems at the Vatican. Having said that, I presumed that many of these problems were associated with the fallout from the stagnant global economy of the past several years. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that the problems could be attributed to a culture of corruption, inertia and gross mismanagement. The noted Italian journalist Gianluigi Nuzzi has certainly opened my eyes with his shocking new book “Merchants in the Temple: Inside Pope Francis’s Secret Battle Against Corruption in the Vatican”. Initially I hesitated to purchase this book for fear it was just another anti-Catholic tirade. However, I found this book to be quite fair and believe the author to be sympathetic to the efforts being undertaken by the Holy Father.

There is so much troubling information in “Merchants in the Temple” that I hardly know where to begin. For decades, an entrenched group of senior clergy has been squandering Vatican resources at an alarming rate. There is a frightening lack of oversight on investments, sinful waste, blatant mismanagement of Church resources and a frightening lack of any real accountability in the bureaucracy. Meanwhile, friends and insiders are rewarded handsomely. According to Nuzzi, Pope Benedict XVI began efforts to reform the Curia some time ago and the resistance to his efforts was the primary reason that he resigned the papacy in 2013. Pope Francis has made reform of the Curia his top priority but his efforts are meeting with massive resistance from entrenched officials. One has to wonder why these men ever became priests in the first place.

In “Merchants in the Temple” you will be introduced to all of the major players in this ongoing melodrama. Nuzzi also reveals most of the major reforms being proposed by the Pontiff including a major restructuring of the governance of the Vatican. The situation is dire and I dare say that the very solvency of the Vatican is at risk here! This is magnificent piece of reporting by Gianluigi Nuzzi. Source material includes top secret documents from inside the Vatican and actual transcripts of Pope Francis’s admonishments to the papal court about the lack of financial oversight and responsibility.

We Catholics need to get our collective heads out of the sand and get up to speed on what is going on in Rome. Surveys from around the world seem to indicate that Catholics are on board with what the Pope is attempting to do because according to Francis “The people of God want pastors, not clergy acting like bureaucrats or government officials.” Touche! I think you will find that this to be a highly informative and extremely well written book. Very highly recommended!

Expandable Garden Hose 50 ft - Best for Easy Carrying, Lightweight, Strong Premium Quality with No Leaks and Kinks. FREE 8 Pattern Spray Nozzle and Brass Connector - Makes a Great Gift - Green
Offered by Adfilic
Price: $39.99
3 used & new from $12.67

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from this one at all costs!, November 20, 2015
Several months ago I was asked to sample and review the Ohuhu Expandable Super Strong Garden Hose. In general I was satisfied with that product and have been using it in my yard ever since. Recently, the manufacturer of the Adfilic Expandable Garden Hose contacted me about trying out their product. Since the price of the Adfilic hose was just half of the one I reviewed in July I was a bit skeptical. My package arrived last night and I just went outside to try it out. What a piece of junk! Whoever sent this to me did not bother to visually inspect the item. The brass fitting on one end was not even connected to the hose. Just for the heck of it I hooked it up and turned the water on. The hose leaked badly in three or four different places. I have been doing reviews on Amazon for over a decade and this has to be the worst item EVER!

The NEW 2016 Heater from EdenPURE saves space and can be put against a wall the new wall-hugger with remote.
Offered by AirNmore
Price: $327.00
2 used & new from $327.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Eden Pure heaters have helped us shave our heating bill dramatically over the past few years., November 18, 2015
With another winter season about to bear down on us it is time to think about how you can reduce the cost of heating your home. Let me say at the outset that the 2016 Heater from Eden Pure is certainly not for everyone. If you live in a big house with large open rooms and cathedral ceilings then read no further. You'll have to look elsewhere to solve your heating issues. But if you reside in a smaller home and have the ability to close doors then the Eden Pure heater just might be your ticket to significantly lower heating costs. You just heat the room you happen to be occupying at the moment.

My wife and I purchased our first Eden Pure heater back in 2008. Given the escalating price of fuel oil at that time we felt we needed to find an alternative way to keep our home comfortable during the chilly New England winter. I spotted a full page ad in our local newspaper for the Eden Pure heater and decided to give it a try. All Eden Pure heaters come with a 60 day total satisfaction guarantee. 60 days is more than enough time to determine whether or not this product is going to work for you. We decided to purchase the smaller Model 500 unit back in the day and began using it to heat our living room in the evening. We kept our thermostat at 58. While the smaller model was OK it did not make the room as toasty warm as we had hoped. After about two months the infrared bulb failed forcing us to return the unit to the manufacturer for replacement. The replacement unit arrived just days later with a letter of apology. To compensate for our inconvenience the folks at Eden Pure upgraded us to the Model 1000 product at no additional charge. As it turned out this was a terrific break for us as the Model 1000 was exactly what we needed. Believe it or not we are still using that heater! To make a long story short we have since purchased another Eden Pure heater for our bedroom and then another for our pastor to use in his bedroom at the rectory. We count ourselves very happy customers of this product. We continue to be very frugal about they way we heat our home and use our heating system as little as possible. I would estimate that it costs us no more than 20 cents an hour to use our Eden Pure heater. Furthermore, over the past several winters I would estimate that we have saved in the neighborhood of $200-$300 per year on heating oil. In essence, these Eden Pure heaters have practically paid for themselves.

One final note. Unlike other electric heaters we have used the Eden Pure 2016 Heater will not dry out the air. This is a one of major reasons we are so happy with this product. Also, this unit does not get hot so it is perfectly safe to use around little kids and pets. This new space-saving model actually allows you to position the unit against the wall. This is a major improvement to previous designs! I have to admit I am flabbergasted by the number of negative reviews Eden Pure products have received over the years. I suspect that most people who wound up dissatisfied either tried using the heater in very large rooms or let it run for hours on end. If you are actively seeking ways to cut the cost of heating your home I urge your to consider Eden Pure. Check them out online. You just might discover a way to keep you and your family comfortable this winter at a price you can afford. This is a product I can wholeheartedly endorse.

Winter Is Coming: Why Vladimir Putin and the Enemies of the Free World Must Be Stopped
by Garry Kasparov
Price: $19.88
66 used & new from $13.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Appeasement allowed Putin to become the bloody dictator he is today., November 18, 2015
“In my first years as an activist I often said that Putin was a Russian problem for Russians to solve, but that he would soon be a regional problem and then a global problem if his ambitions were ignored. This regrettable transformation has come to pass and lives are being lost because of it. It is cold comfort to be told ‘You were right!’. It is even less comforting when so little is being done to halt Putin’s aggression even now. What is the point of saying you should have listened and acted when you still aren’t listening and acting?” -- from Introduction to “Winter is Coming”

According to author Garry Kasparov Western appeasers with names like Bush, Merkel, Major, Chirac, Obama, Schroder, Berlusconi, Sarkozy and the International Olympic Committee have been playing ball with Russian President Vladimir Putin for 15 years now. During the term of his predecessor Boris Yeltsin there had been a short window of opportunity to introduce democratic reforms to Russia and Yeltsin’s efforts met with limited success. Unfortunately, aided and abetted by the aforementioned Western leaders Vladimir Putin has reversed course since 2000 and has fashioned a KGB police state with far-reaching consequences for his own country and for the rest of humanity. Kasparov lays out precisely how we got here from there in his hard-hitting new book “Winter Is Coming: Why Vladimir Putin and the Enemies of the Free World must be Stopped”. This is easily one of the most important books I have read in 2015.

When the Berlin Wall came tumbling down on November 9, 1989 it appeared to be a powerful symbol that evil had finally been defeated. Yet the reality was that Communism did not disappear when the Wall fell. There were still a billion people around the globe living under Communist rule. Despite the sincere efforts of Boris Yeltsin to affect change and modernize the Russian economy the hardliners in the Kremlin had no intention of giving up their control. They bided their time until Vladimir Putin took the reins of power in 2000. Putin quickly and systematically began to consolidate power. He eliminated opposition by any means necessary and co-opted the press. When Putin began to crack down Western leaders had an opportunity to push back. Instead they chose to look the other way and rewarded Putin with ever greater access to their markets. They needed the gas, oil, minerals and timber and Putin was all too happy to oblige. If there is a recurring theme in “Winter is Coming” it is this: if the West acknowledged the horrible truth then they would have to act. Sadly, the leaders of the free world never did. So what did the West get in return for giving cover to Putin over the past decade and a half? According to Kasparov: “Just like old times, Moscow has become an ally of troublemakers and anti-Democratic rulers around the world. Nuclear aid to Iran, missile technology to North Korea, military equipment to Sudan, Myanmar and Venezuela, making friends with Hamas.” You get the picture.

The bottom line is that Putin’s primary goal is to stay in power. In order to make that happen he needs to foster constant conflict and bitter hatred. This is just one of the reasons why he is such a dangerous player. He also has designs on expanding the Russian empire as evidenced by his invasion of Georgia in 2008 and the blatantly illegal annexation of Crimea in 2014. Kasparov makes a very cogent point when he argues towards the end of the book that "It is long past time to stop listening to Harvard professors and think-tank experts lecture us about what Putin would never do and high time to respond to what he is actually doing." Touche! Whether we are talking about Putin, Al-Qaeda or ISIS it is clear that these forces cannot possibly be defeated without a commitment by Western governments to stand up for freedom and human rights. I had read precious little about Mr. Putin and as such found “Winter Is Coming: Why Vladimir Putin and the Enemies of the Free World must be Stopped” to be a real eye-opener. This is an exceptionally thoughtful and extremely well-written book. It is a "must read" for history buffs and anyone interested in international affairs. Very highly recommended!

Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Explain Everything About the World
Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Explain Everything About the World
by Tim Marshall
Price: $16.36
53 used & new from $12.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Delve into the world of geopolitics., November 13, 2015
Wealth, Poverty and Politics: An International PerspectiveRecently, I read Thomas Sowell’s outstanding new book “Wealth, Poverty and Politics: An International Perspective” in which the author argues passionately and convincingly that it is geography and not the so-called evils of capitalism that accounts for much of the economic disparity in the world today. Thus, when I spotted Tim Marshall’s new book “Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Explain Everything About the World” I decided to take my investigation into this subject to a whole other level. This definitely proved to be time very well spent.

According to the gospel of the Left-wing media we in the developed world are something akin to vultures swooping down intent on robbing third world nations of their wealth and natural resources. This is the constant drumbeat. Rarely do the reporters who cobble together these stories take the time to consider why these countries have been unable to mine or extract these assets themselves. What you will discover in this book is that it all too often boils down to impediments caused by geography. Economic development in Africa has been stymied for centuries by a number of factors such as a lack of deepwater harbors, rivers that are simply not navigable and tropical diseases. It is much the same story in Latin America where mountainous terrain, jungles and a lack of deep harbors restrain development. You will discover that save for certain geographic obstacles the nation of Brazil would already be an economic powerhouse.

Meanwhile, geography has implications for rich and powerful nations as well. Russian foreign policy is necessarily shaped by the fact that the country still lacks a warm water port. In the chapter on “The Middle East” we discover that many of these countries were arbitrarily created by Europeans drawing lines on maps of faraway places that they knew precious little about. The implications of these actions are far-reaching and continue to be felt many decades later.

For those who are sincerely interested in educating themselves about these monumentally important issues then “Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Explain Everything About the World” would be an excellent place to start. I thought that the 10 regional maps presented at the beginning of each chapter were extremely helpful in understanding the issues being discussed by Tim Marshall and I found myself referring to them frequently. What a neat idea! This is a must read for those interested in economics, geography and foreign policy. Highly recommended!

Heavy Lifting: Grow Up, Get a Job, Raise a Family, and Other Manly Advice
Heavy Lifting: Grow Up, Get a Job, Raise a Family, and Other Manly Advice
by Jim Geraghty
Price: $19.01
46 used & new from $14.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Geraghty and Edwards offer up a boatload of practical advice and common sense in this important new book., November 12, 2015
“I can’t think of a better definition of a failed man than a deadbeat dad. If you bring a child into the world, your purpose in life is to be involved with that child and guide him to adulthood. Fatherhood is a job you don’t get to quit. Fathers teach sons how to be men; they teach daughters what to expect from men.” -- page 128

This quotation from co-author Jim Geraghty certainly flies in the face of the prevailing wisdom in this country where we are told that “it takes a village” to raise a child. It is so much nonsense. Today’s twenty-somethings have been indoctrinated since kindergarten with a destructive set of values that lower expectations and in all too many cases arrests development. Thus we have a generation of young men still living in their parent’s basements, many of whom are essentially afraid to participate in adulthood. Jim Geraghty and Cam Edwards have come to the rescue with a new book that some might deem controversial. “Heavy Lifting: Grow Up, Get a Job, Start a Family and Other Manly Advice” unabashedly espouses the traditional values that were embraced by ‘the greatest generation”. I never thought I would live to see the day when a book like this would be necessary but in my view it is a long overdue breath of fresh air.

Aside from urging young men to leave the comfort and security of mom and dad’s place the authors also address other pertinent issues such as how to co-exist with a new roommate, how to dress for success, how to go about looking for that first real job and mustering up the courage to ask the special young lady you fancy for a date. They go on to discuss such potentially destructive behaviors such as addiction to video games, porn and alcohol. In the second portion of the book the authors urge their readers to seriously consider marriage and then starting a family. Geraghty and Edwards lament the fact that so many young people seem to view parenthood as an 18 year prison sentence. They offer a very realistic view of what to expect in a marriage and how fathering and raising a child should be the most important thing you will ever do in your life. As I indicated this book is most definitely counter-cultural.

Now if there is a young man in your life that needs a nudge I suggest you present them with a copy of “Heavy Lifting”. This is a well written and thought-provoking book that should prompt some interesting discussions. Recommended.

Andy & Don: The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show
Andy & Don: The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show
by Daniel de Visé
Price: $16.36
33 used & new from $15.50

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than a trip down memory lane., November 9, 2015
I stumbled upon "Andy & Don: The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show" at my local bookstore last week. Usually I have little or no interest in this sort of book but in glancing at the notes on the dust jacket I suspected that this one might be something special. I was not disappointed. "Andy & Don" brought back a flood of pleasant memories. Author Daniel de Vise, who just happens to be the brother-in-law of Don Knotts, chronicles the life and times of these two iconic comic actors. From the very first time they worked together in the TV version of "No Time For Sergeants" in 1955 it was quite apparent that these men were born to work with each other. The chemistry between them was nothing short of magical.

But beyond the joyous recollections of all of those classic skits on “The Andy Griffith Show” Daniel de Vise also reveals the more serious and darker sides of both men. I was a bit stunned to discover that Andy was a man prone to hold grudges. According to de Vise “he expected loyalty and when he failed to get it he never forgave nor forgot”. This certainly clashed with his on screen persona. Andy also resented the fact that he never won an Emmy for his work. Meanwhile, at various times in his life Don Knotts became hopelessly addicted to the pills that his therapists had prescribed to deal with his insomnia and anxiety. Both men also liked to drink and each was married three times. But through it all they kept in touch and remained extremely close.

I found "Andy & Don: The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show" to be an extremely well written, informative and highly entertaining book. I read it in just a couple of sittings. Daniel de Vise captures the very essence of these two very gifted and somewhat complicated men who will forever occupy a special place in the hearts of classic TV fans. Very highly recommended.

Government Zero: No Borders, No Language, No Culture
Government Zero: No Borders, No Language, No Culture
by Michael Savage
Price: $16.20
60 used & new from $11.94

4.0 out of 5 stars What Michael Savage worried about 20 years ago has largely come to pass., October 27, 2015
“Today, the entire foundation of American society is under assault by a Progressive-Islamist alliance that hasn’t neglected reshaping our entire immigration policy. We’re no longer a land of opportunity for ambitious, talented immigrants looking to escape social democracies with large welfare states. We’re now a land of government handouts for waves of immigrants, both legal and illegal, who come here for the generous welfare benefits our progressive government keeps increasing.” – page 158

Over the past twenty years there have been two voices in the wilderness warning of the ramifications of unchecked illegal immigration--Pat Buchanan ("Suicide of a Superpower: Will America Survive to 2025") and the controversial conservative radio talk show host Michael Savage. Over the past decade the pace of our decline has been accelerating at breakneck speed. The consequences of the suicidal policies espoused by progressives, big business interests and radical Islamists are now becoming all too apparent. And it may already be too late. The push to flood America with illegal immigrants essentially means that in an increasing number of communities in this nation your vote no longer matters. Dr. Savage lays out it all out in his explosive new book "Government Zero: No Borders, No Language, No Culture". Dr. Savage believes that America desperately needs to identify a leader who will stand up for American Nationalism. It just might be our last best hope. Michael Savage pulls no punches in this hard-hitting expose. He writes “We are supposed to be a nation where the government is ‘of the people, by the people, and for the people'. Instead it is a government of itself, by itself, and for itself, run by lobbyists. In short, Government Zero is absolute, unchecked government power and zero representation of the people.” It becomes abundantly clear that the elite in both political parties are systematically selling you, your children and your grandchildren right down the river all the while being shielded by their co-conspirators in the mainstream media. And Dr. Savage is not afraid to name names.

While I find his radio show a bit hard to take at times I have to admit that Michael Savage has been absolutely consistent over the years. He has been warning of the dire consequences of open borders, multiculturalism and other dubious governmental policies such as bilingual education. Indeed, he chickens have come home to roost. With the 2016 elections just around the corner America may have one last chance to save itself. In "Government Zero: No Borders, No Language, No Culture" Michael Savage offers some solid recommendations to help turn the situation around. This is a very interesting read. Recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2015 1:26 PM PDT

The Last of the President's Men
The Last of the President's Men
by Bob Woodward
Price: $16.80
92 used & new from $7.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure trove of new documents make this book an important addition to the historical record., October 24, 2015
“As the person who was supposed to make sure departing White House aides left their official papers behind, Butterfield had witnessed many senior aides taking dozens of boxes. There was no good way to tell what was personal and what was technically official. So when it was his turn, Butterfield too carted off boxes of files and documents. ‘I just took my boxes of stuff and left,’ he recalled.” – page 143

By his own admission Alexander P. Butterfield joined the Nixon administration through an unlikely confluence of circumstances. Butterfield had been classmates with Bob Haldeman at UCLA in the mid-1940s. Though Alex and Bob had lost touch their girlfriends, who would ultimately become their wives, were sorority sisters at the college and still exchanged Christmas cards. In late November 1968 Butterfield, one of the top fighter pilots in the U.S. Air Force, was serving a gig in Australia and desperately seeking a more challenging assignment. When Alex discovered that his old college chum was running Richard Nixon’s transition team the wheels began to turn. Perhaps there was a spot in the administration for a man with his credentials. Little did he know that in less than eight weeks he would begin a new chapter in his life as Deputy Assistant to the President of the United States. Bob Woodward chronicles the improbable relationship between Butterfield and Richard Nixon in his marvelous new book “The Last of the President’s Men.” Culling new information from Mr. Butterfield’s stash of documents and files, Woodward sheds new light on the Nixon administration. I could not put this one down.

More than four decades after these events took place Alexander Butterfield recalls in painstaking detail his interactions with the President. He confirms what we have learned from so many other friends and colleagues of Richard Nixon—he was an odd and complex man. According to Woodward “In the first months he was finding some things to admire in Nixon—the work ethic, snatches of empathy, the determined, focused effort so evident in nearly everything he did. The humanity barely emerged, and Nixon was quickly becoming the oddest man he had ever known.” Among other things we learn of a fiendish plot hatched by Nixon to spy on Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy and of the origins of the White House taping system that would ultimately come back to bite him. Needless to say the President’s motivation was anything but noble. But even more disturbing than all of that the Butterfield documents reveal that both the President and Secretary of State Kissinger had been lying about the effectiveness of our bombing raids in Vietnam over the course of the war. The appendix at the end of the book includes more than 75 pages of documents, files and memos from Butterfield’s archive. They prove to be a real eye-opener.

“The Last of the President’s Men” is a well-written and meticulously documented book that is an extremely important addition to the historical record. By making these documents public for the very first time Alexander Butterfield has performed a tremendous public service. In addition, Woodward conducted more than 46 hours of taped interviews with Butterfield in order to add detail and context to the written record. I thought that Bob Woodward’s presentation was thorough, fair and balanced. This is a must read for history buffs, political junkies and general readers alike. Very highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2015 7:54 PM PDT