Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Ben HT > Reviews

Browse

Ben HT's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ben HT RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Apple Digital AV Adapter (MC953ZM/A) - [OLD VERSION]
Apple Digital AV Adapter (MC953ZM/A) - [OLD VERSION]
Offered by Childhood Happy Store
Price: $13.60
74 used & new from $5.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Does its job and nothing more, May 11, 2011
Like others have noted, this AV adapter should only be used with the iPad 2 for mirroring and watching movies such as on Netflix. I chose to purchase this adapter because HDMI cables carry both audio and video unlike VGA cables which only do video. However, the Netflix quality is noticeably inferior on the TV when using the iPad compared to my other Netflix streaming devices such as my PS3 and Blu-Ray player.

I tried to be a little fancy and connected my camera connection kit to the Apple pinout (this adapter has an HDMI port and an Apple pinout), but the iPad did not recognize the camera or the SD memory card. The pinout can only be used for charging and nothing more. Even though Apple made it clear that the pinout is for charging the iPad, it is still a shame because other accessories could have easily been supported if Apple made an effort to do so.

Overall, the cable does its job but not in a spectacular way. I really thought I would use this adapter often, but the mediocre video output quality and the one-dimensional functionality of this promising product has caused me to only use this only for "emergency" situations.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2011 3:21 PM PST

Belkin Verve Folio Case with Stand for the New Apple iPad 2 / 3rd Generation, HD, 1080P, WiFi, 4G LTE, AT & T, Verizon (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case, but everything is just a little off, May 10, 2011
Belkin impressed me with its lineup of iPad 2 cases when it was announced two months ago, so I waited until the Verve Folio Stand was available on Amazon before finally buying it. Apple's Smart Cover was not going to cut it for me because it only offers protection for the screen and leaves the aluminum back exposed. The aluminum material is much more easily scratched than the high quality screen. My unibody Macbook's bottom is all scratched up while my iPod Touch's screen is impeccable even though I just throw my iPod in my bag.

Belkin's cases offer all-around protection for the iPad, and I chose to purchase the more expensive Verve Folio Stand because from the photos I thought it had the cleanest, most elegant styling with its all black leather. Like the other Belkin cases, it has the cutouts for the front and rear cameras and doubles as a stand with multiple viewing angles. It also has an elastic strap to keep the case closed (the strap is not a feature for the Slim Folio model).

I got all the information above from just researching the product and looking at photos, but I have to say I was slightly disappointed when I received my product. The so-called genuine leather feels slightly cheap, but the soft felt fabric on the inside that comes into contact with the iPad screen is very nice. The case adds considerable bulk to the iPad 2 in terms of thickness and weight, but the bulk is understandable because the case does offer decent protection (will soften the fall of a dropped iPad and prevent most scratchs but don't expect too much).

In the title of my review I stated that "everything is just a little off" and what I meant by that is all the cutouts and alignments of the case are just simply a little off. I can tell that Belkin put in an effort to take into account iPad 2's curved back design, but it simply could not match up the holes perfectly. The curved back is definitely a major design challenge, but a design flaw that I could not overlook is the fact that the iPad 2 shifts around in the case. This further moves the cutouts around and makes pushing the side and top buttons and accessing the ports a hit-or-miss game (be prepared for a lot of misses). There is a flap that keeps the iPad in place, but it only keeps it from falling out and does not stabilize it. It is an eye sore when the screen is blatantly not centered, even though it is off by just a little. Fixing the flap only takes a few seconds, but be prepared to do this often.

The reason why I gave this a generous four stars and not fewer is because it is still overall the best case on the market in terms of protection and value. The Apple Smart Cover is a rip off at forty dollars. On Amazon, this case can be purchased for less than the fifty-dollar msrp. The case also does look great just like in the photos with the leather and the stitching. There are limited iPad 2 case options out there at this time so I will recommend this case (and basically all the other Belkin cases if you like those designs) to everyone until a better one comes out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2011 1:56 PM PDT

Griffin PowerBlock Dual Universal Charger for MP3 Players and USB Devices (Black)
Offered by TurboDeals
Price: $9.95
10 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Only bought it to charge two devices at once, December 11, 2010
Even though some reviewers have mentioned this before, I feel compelled to reiterate the fact that this charger will not charge two devices simultaneously that require 1A of current. The only reason why I bought this was so that I could charge my iPod Touch and my Blackberry Bold together.

Unlike some chargers out there, it is compatible with the 3rd generation iPod Touch, so that is why I added an addition star to a one-star product. I read things very carefully before purchasing (I bought it when it first came out so there were not that many reviews), so clearly Griffin is very misleading about this product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2010 10:52 PM PST

Bose AE2 Around-Ear Audio Headphones, Black
Bose AE2 Around-Ear Audio Headphones, Black
9 used & new from $70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Revision to Already Decent-Sounding Headphones, November 30, 2010
First off, I would like to commend Bose for its spectacular one-year limited warranty. I received these new AE2's after my old Bose Around Ear's (version 1) headphone jack ripped and stopped producing sound in the right earpiece. The process was easy; I called customer and explained the situation, emailed the receipt and mailed back the old product. I received these one week later.

I will begin with the sound quality of the headphones because it is one of the main reasons why I gave these four stars. Some people complained about not enough bass, and I agree with them. The bass is hollower than what you would expect from $150 headphones. Cranking up the volume helps, but you can tell the bass lacks the "oomph" and will do injustice to certain songs. Despite this, overall, these headphones produce accurate sounds for basically all types of music at all volumes. Casual music listeners should not be disappointed by the sound quality, even though Bose traditionally falls behind Sennheiser in this department for similarly-priced headphones.

For me, the physical aspects of this version 2 around-ear headphones are major pluses after using the first iteration. The best change, though negligible to many people, is that the headphones do not squeeze your head as tightly anymore. I wear glasses, so this was a major gripe. The problem is still there just like for all around-ear headphones, but it is more tolerable. The new fold-flat design is great for stowing and extra flexibility. There is now only one wire attached to the left earpiece, and the wire is detachable and replaceable for a very low price. The headphone jack that ripped on my old pair is now reinforced. Everything feels more durable yet these headphones are very light.

The headphones are NOT marketed as noise-canceling, but they do block out significant amounts of outside noise. The headphones are narrower and do not stick out as much, which in my opinion looks much better because it does not look like you have cans jutting from the sides of your head. HOWEVER, if your ears stick out more than others', you should be aware that they may come into contact with the inside of the headphones and cause unwanted irritation.

To be honest, I would have hesitated to buy these if I had to fork out $150 for another pair of Bose headphones considering the competition in the market. Also, only the headphones, the wire, and a cloth pouch are included. My old Bose around-ears also came with an extension cable and an adapter for other audio equipment (which I never used but I would imagine others might want this).

I am certainly satisfied with these headphones because they are much better than the ones they replaced. From a consumer's perspective, these headphones are great for casual users looking for above average sounding headphones that are comfortable, sleek-looking, and durable. Price is an issue for basically everyone, so I encourage you to shop around and to try out these headphones before purchasing. Once again, Bose's one-year limited warranty is in a class of its own, and people who plan on carrying around and using these headphones frequently should certainly keep this in mind.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2013 7:04 PM PST

Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy IX
Price: $14.99
210 used & new from $3.56

5.0 out of 5 stars I just found my old copy and started playing it on the ps3, March 30, 2010
This review is from: Final Fantasy IX (Video Game)
Final Fantasy IX is definitely my favorite game on the ps1. I grew up playing the game and coming across the game while looking through my old pile of cds has brought me back to the good times. I am currently playing the game on a hdtv with a hdmi input, which is not the best setup for this game. The ps3 emulator has a smoothing option, but the images are definitely not as sharp as I remembered them to be on the ps1. Playing this game on the ps1 with a standard definition tv is the best setup out there.

In order to play this game on the ps3 without frustration, you have to lower the resolution and you must also create an internal memory card before any ps1 or ps2 game can be saved onto the harddrive. And you must turn smoothing on or else the pixelation gets unbearable. Also don't make the image fullscreen because the game was not designed with 16:9 on mind.

I think some of the 10-year-old reviews on Amazon do this game justice. It has a compelling story and great controls. The retro feel of this game is simply amazing if you want to relive your childhood. The Final Fantasy series may be up to its 14th installment as of when this review is written, but the old ones are still the best. What is so special about Final Fantasy IX is that it is set in the past with characters using swords and magic, and kingdoms are battling one another. It is what I imagine when I think of a fantasy world.

You can wait until a PSN download of this game is available, which I do believe will happen, or you can buy a ps1 copy. If you already have a copy, but you don't know where it is, I suggest you to rummage around for one afternoon because it is so worth it. The game may be cartoonish to some people, but that is what makes it so appealing in an unexplicable way. I have moved on since the ps1 and have played many shooters on the ps3, but I will not hesitate to put aside those graphically superior games to play Final Fantasy IX.

Belkin Silicone Vector Sleeve Case for iPod touch 2G, 3G (Black/Yellow)
Belkin Silicone Vector Sleeve Case for iPod touch 2G, 3G (Black/Yellow)
Offered by Travellor TECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sleek case with a nice design from a trusted company, October 18, 2009
I got this case mostly because of its design since basically all ipod touch cases are the same. The yellow stripes on the black looks very nice. There are other color combinations sold on amazon and on other websites like on apple.

It fits firmly around the ipod and it has cutouts on the bottom so you can access the headphone jack and the usb connector easily. There are also bumps for the power button on top and for the volume controls on the side, which makes it very easy to press the buttons.

One of the major design differences between cases is that some cover the home button and the black areas on top and below the screen. I like this case because it shows more of the sleek ipod touch screen by not covering the home button or any of the black areas. Obviously the covered ones offer more protection, but in reality the ipod touch screen is very scratch-resistant. I only got this case to protect the infamously vulnerable back of the ipod.

And yes, silicone cases do attract dust. However, this one is doing fine and is easily cleaned. It also has a decent grip. However, once in a while I would take the ipod out and clean out the dust that might get in and scratch the back of the ipod because things do get in through the openings. Overall I am very satisfied and it looks sturdy enough to last some time and protect my ipod from every-day bumps and scatches. It also comes with a lifetime warrenty so not too shabby.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars My second victorinox knife and my favorite, October 18, 2009
I did a lot of research before I purchased the Explorer Plus. I need a corkscrew and also a Phillips screwdriver. However, they are both usually located in the same spot for many knives, so I thought I had to between only having one or the other. My first knife was the plain, trusty Tinker. It was small and easily fit into my pocket, but I realized I needed more functions, like in addition, a corkscrew and scissors. The Explorer Plus had both and more.

The Explorer Plus is not huge like the Swiss Champion, but it is pretty big compared to my tinker, actually almost twice as thick because it has 4 layers of tools. I really like the placement of the Phillips screwdriver because on the Tinker it sticks out on the bottom perpendicular to the rest of the knife and is difficult to use, but on this it can be used like a normal screwdriver.

I also decided to go for the Plus instead of going for the regular Explorer because the addition of a pen is very important to me. The mini-screwdriver and the straight pin (can be taken out when the corkscrew is lifted up, this took me a while to figure out) are nice additions but the pen was the deal breaker.

The Explorer Plus is a great knife and now I only need to take one knife instead of multiple ones because it has all the tools I need, and some that I will most likely use only for kicks like the hook, the magnifying glass, and the reamer (though not true for everyone). Victorinox in general makes high quality swiss army knives and this is no exception and the advantage this specific knife has over the others is that it suits me almost perfectly.

So choose your knife based on what you will actually need and not on what you think you might need for some unlikely occasion. Like if you never went fishing before, you probably shouldn't buy a knife that has a fish scaler. More tools only means more thickness, more weight, and less ease of use.

Apple iPod touch 32 GB 3rd Generation  (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Apple iPod touch 32 GB 3rd Generation (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
66 used & new from $49.90

5.0 out of 5 stars The revised ipod touch despite new competition is still the best in the market, October 18, 2009
the ipod touch 3rd generation is definitely the best multi-functional music player in the market. I got the first gen. 16GB ipod touch when it first came out 2 years ago but I ran out of space but I decided to skip the 2nd gen. because ipods are expensive so I got the 32GB 3rd gen. when it came out. But if you already have the 2nd gen. ipod touch you should save yourself the money and wait for the 4th. when hopefully a camera and a built-in mic would be standard features because this is not such a major update besides a faster processor, new stock headphones, and lower prices.

However, this ONLY applies to the 32GB and 64GB versions as others have noted. The 3rd gen. 8GB version is exactly the same as the 2nd gen. except it is repackaged so even with the reduced price, the 8GB is an inferior deal.

The first thing I noticed was how much the price of the ipod touch has dropped since its debut. The 16GB was $399 when it first came out and now this 32GB is only $299 ($279 on amazon). This does makes sense because that is how the market works but this is a very good deal.

Obviously $300 is not money to be thrown around, but the ipod touch is well-rounded and offers many features other than just being a decent music player. I personally could not tell any difference in sound quality from my 1st gen. and my 3rd gen. touch, which is a major disappointment because the basic function of an ipod is a music player and improvements are always welcome if not necessary.

The 3rd gen. offers really shoddy and quiet internal speakers, which is better than nothing on the 1st gen. and the stock Apple headphones are just terrible. Note that the 32GB and 64GB versions come with headphones that have a built-in mic and music player controls, but they are basically the same. So you should factor in the cost of buying new headphones.

Some respectable brands for headphones or earbuds are Klipsch, Shure and Bose. I personally use Bose overear headphones because the noise that they block off really makes a difference on the crowded subway. While looking for headphones keep in mind that like all things out there, price and quality (and warrenties) have a direct correlation. But really, the ipod touch sound quality is not bad at all as much as I bash it.

What makes me give 5 stars to this 3rd gen. ipod touch is the fact that its overall package is unmatched in the market today, even with the new Zune HD (the Zune has a much inferior internet browser and limited apps). I am not going to make a comparison between them because both music players attract different audiences, where ipod touch users prefer the apps and the interface while zune users find the Zune Marketplace to be much better than itunes (Marketplace prices for music are cheaper and are a better value especially for heavy downloaders). But for the casual music listener, both are the very similar in form, function, and price.

The 3rd gen. ipod touch has a terrific internet browser that is superior to the Blackberry, but its limitations are that it requires a wifi connection and it does not support adobe flash. I use it to jot down notes quickly, to view my documents on my subway to study, check my mail, look up something quickly on the internet, and obviously to listen to music. There is a plethora of apps that can be downloaded and many are free and quite useful like AIM and SportsTap, and Remote. Apple advertises the ipod touch for the games that it can play and you will not be disappointed if you want to play something on the go.

Th 3.5 inch screen is crisp and watching videos is a pleasure. And the ipod touch does look great with clean lines but if you don't want to get the backplate scratched, you must by a case. The screen itself on the other hand is very scratch-resistant.

I highly recommend the new 3rd generation ipod touch for those who are looking for something in this price range and want a balanced music player that can also play vidoes, surf the web, and play quick games. In a way, people are also paying for the Apple brand, which is not a bad thing considering you can bring your ipod to the apple store to get it fixed, you can purchase many different accessories, and you can have special compatibility features with other apple products such as with macbooks if you already own one or your school/business uses them.