Profile for Scott > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott "joviel" RSS Feed (Danbury, CT, United States)

Men's Woven Paper Fedora Hat - Natural L
Men's Woven Paper Fedora Hat - Natural L
Offered by e4Hats
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Well For Me, August 9, 2014
Bought hat for cruise to Bermuda, worked great. Light yet sturdy enough for moderate crushing. Still wearing it, fits great and is bearing up under daily wear fine.

Wargame: France 1940
Wargame: France 1940
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Freezes for me too, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Wargame: France 1940 (App)
Kindle Fire HD, freezes on boot up. The other games by this author are great, if they fix this ignore this review. :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2014 2:42 AM PST

CyberpowerPC Stealth Rogue GXi1200A Desktop (Black/Red)
CyberpowerPC Stealth Rogue GXi1200A Desktop (Black/Red)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Machine, Maybe a Little Rough Around the Edges, August 25, 2013
Looking for a low-end gaming rig I selected this i5 / GE-650 combo - since no game uses more than 2 cores anyway I thought I'd put the difference into the graphics card. Major league gamers will sniff at the rig but it works fine for everything I've thrown at it.

I was prepared for a bad experience when I started breaking the PC out of the box and found that the power cord supplied with the PC didn't fit - the jack was too long for the socket and wouldn't stay connected. Not exactly a minor flaw. I used the cord from my old PC and it fit fine and I powered up. But come-on guys...

Case is solid and roomy but the front door which hides the CD is bizarre. It can't be opened except from the very bottom which makes it very inconvenient. A "push in to unlatch" type latch would have been called for. As it is, its a pain.

The machine has been running for two weeks now without a glitch, everything installed and runs fine. Windows 8 is a bad dream but one can hardly blame Cyberpower for that, I don't understand the mentality of the folks here who lower a PC's rating because of Win 8. There are Win 7 emulators out there for free. I downloaded one and I haven't had to see the wretched Win 8 start screen in a week.

One constant criticism on many Cyberpower Amazon reviews concerns the power supply, apparently sized too small for the needs of the PC. Not on this one. Mine came with a 650 watt power supply, more than enough. It is a little noisy but that may be the fan in the side of the case I'm hearing.

So anyway, it works fine. Not a flawless product but it does what it is supposed to do at a reasonable price. I'm happy with my choice; four stars.

63 Documents the Government Doesn't Want You To Read
63 Documents the Government Doesn't Want You To Read

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Kindle, June 26, 2011
This may well be a good book in traditional format - I'll never know since it is unreadable in the format I bought it in, the Kindle edition. The heart of the book consists of large .pdf's which don't display at all well on a small electronic screen.

Napoleon Total War Limited Edition - PC
Napoleon Total War Limited Edition - PC
Offered by redonedeal
Price: $54.41
31 used & new from $3.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid At All Costs!, March 2, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I've never seen anything like it. Even to play the game locally you have to create an on-line account with some multiplayer service called "Steam" and every time you play it the game has to register with Steam. And guess what? The Steam accounts are too busy to log you in! So right now I'm sitting with the game on my hard drive and I can't play it because of a failure with the service they make you use for copy protection.

I have played Total War from the beginning, own every one except for Empire Total War. And I will >never< buy another product from Creative Assembly or Sega again. Steamed? Yeah, I'm steamed. I've never seen anything so arrogant, don't reward these thieving morons with your money.

Back it goes.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2011 6:52 PM PDT

100 Greatest Ancient Coins
100 Greatest Ancient Coins
by Harlan J. Berk
Price: $22.76
67 used & new from $8.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, May 16, 2009
Assuming you like ancient coins and the history behind them (and if you don't what are you doing here?) this book is a must-have. Each of the coins gets a full page containing a large picture of the coin, details of the history behind the coin and commentary about the market availability of the coin. Many of the coins are beyond the finances of an average collector and this book may be as close as most people come to owning a example. But the book does not feature rare coins alone, some very common coins were also chosen and these are within the reach of most of us.

These is a lot to learn from this book. Did you know that the only known portrait of Hannibal is on a coin? That there is a coin showing Noah's Ark? That the master coin engravers in Syracuse signed their names into their coins? That the first portrait of Christ on an ancient coin used the face of Phidias' famous statue of Zeus as a model? That is only a small taste of what the book contains.

Berk hit this one out of the park.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2014 6:56 AM PDT

Casio Exilim EX-S600 6MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Blue)
Casio Exilim EX-S600 6MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Blue)
4 used & new from $50.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful Experience, July 24, 2007
I received my Casio camera barely three months ago and have used it maybe three times. I took it out this past week to find it had just stopped working. It turns on then immediately shuts itself off, making a sound like a broken ipod even though it has NEVER been dropped and the exterior is in perfect condition. Casio told me to ship it to their headquarters at my expense. After reading the reviews here, I'm very worried about whether Casio will honor its warranty, even though this is exactly the sort of situation warranties are made for. Even before it broke, the pictures taken with the Casio were mediocre and it often blurred itself on auto mode. Even if they fix the problem or ship me a new one, I may sell it for a better model. The one positive that does stand out, however, is it's "cool" factor; it's very small and sleek and stands out from the crowd. With its record of breaking and okay pictures, however, I couldn't recommend this camera.

Easy Oracle PHP: Create Dynamic Web Pages with Oracle Data (Easy Oracle Series) (Volume 6)
by Mladen Gogala
Price: $13.65
44 used & new from $0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful book on an Increasingly Important Topic, October 22, 2006
PHP isn't a magical solution to dynamic HTML, but it comes as close as anything is likely to. I've met Gogala at a few OUG meetings and he knows his stuff. If you aren't familiar with the topic read the book twice - first time leafing through to get an overview of the capabilities then a second drilling down. Time well spent. Throwing together a quick EIS dashboard using PHP is a great way to please the guys with the checkbooks. Like lighting a match in front of jungle natives, they'll bow down, cry "Great Juju!" and brag about it to other holders of unearned stock options at the golf club.