Profile for Bryan W Schuman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bryan W Schuman RSS Feed (Federal Way, WA United States)

Angels in America
Angels in America
DVD ~ Al Pacino
Price: $12.69
92 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see for everyone, March 5, 2004
This review is from: Angels in America (DVD)
Many people get stuck on the fact that Angels In America contains many gay themes, and it's sad. The themes in this film run so far beyond gays and into every vein of American society. I challenge everyone to view this film or see the play even if you are vehemently anti-gay. I guarantee it will open your eyes to a picture much much bigger than you can ever imagine. I don't believe this movie at any time condemns anyone for their beliefs, it simply asks us to evaluate our beliefs, and to question the status quo.
I was a lighting designer for a production of this (both parts!) while I was in college, and it opened my eyes then. To see a movie made of it is simply wonderful. I think Kushner did a wonderful job translating it for the screen. The director I worked under always said this play was really a film, and he was absolutely right.
I refuse to call this a movie because to me a movie is just another thing to watch. This is truly a film. It is film at it's finest, coming together with theatre to truly touch our hearts. Please, see this film. You will walk away asking yourself more questions than you ever thought possible.

AMW T-352 Dolby Digital Home Theater System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
AMW T-352 Dolby Digital Home Theater System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok system for the price... major problems with AV inputs, November 10, 2003
I'm fairly happy with this very low end system. They manage to pack a lot of features and fine adjustments into a really inexpensive unit. If you're looking for big sound, go elsewhere, but for a small room, it's fine. I found it a bit tinny, but at least it's crisp.
I don't really care for the remote though.
There is one major flaw I have found it, and it seems to be a "feature" rather than a bug, which unfortunately will ultimately force me to return the system and settle for a lesser system even though I liked this one better. The AV inputs seem to be corrupted. The sub rumbles when the AV mode is switched on, and seems to get worse whenever a connection is added to it. I thought this was a defective unit, but I returned it for a replacement, and am still having the same issue. :(
It's too bad about the AV input issue, otherwise it's a really nice inexpensive DVD player/5.1 decoder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Cheap CD burner, February 7, 2002
This CD-R/W writer is excellent. I've burned 15 different CDs today just testing it out from my older burner (Yamaha 2x2x16 (Which I will say still works flawlessly, it was just old)), and have had zero bad burns. Contrary to some of the reviews here, there aren't problems with audio ticks and it can burn 80 minute CDs just fine. HP's SOFTWARE, however, does limit you to 74 minutes. But if you use a GOOD cd burning software package, like Roxio Easy CD Pro 5, you can do 80 minute CD's just fine. My suspicion with audio CD's with audible ticks is one of four things: The CD's are not rated for 10x burning (common problem)- make sure you buy CD's rated for at least 12x burning with drives like this, the CD's are poor quality- my advice is stay the hell away from cheap Memorex CD's for audio... TDK spindles seem to be fine, the computer's transfer speed may not have been high enough- try using DMA, and lastly, don't do anything while you're burning- you can slow the machine down enough that a tick and be placed on the CD accidentally. Also beware that some CD players simply might not like burned CDs. My car CD player doesn't like the yellow-green ones (Memorex in particular) or the black ones... the CD's with a true blue base seem to work best overall.
And FYI for everyone: MP3's DO NOT degrade per download. They are digital files, they CANNOT degrade. Cassette tapes can degrade when copying as can VCR tapes... but they're not digital files... digital files do not lose quality no matter HOW many times they are copied. Sorry... just had to put that out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Cheap CD burner, February 7, 2002
This CD-R/W writer is excellent. I've burned 15 different CDs today just testing it out from my older burner (Yamaha 2x2x16 (Which I will say still works flawlessly, it was just old)), and have had zero bad burns. Contrary to some of the reviews here, there aren't problems with audio ticks and it can burn 80 minute CDs just fine. HP's SOFTWARE, however, does limit you to 74 minutes. But if you use a GOOD cd burning software package, like Roxio Easy CD Pro 5, you can do 80 minute CD's just fine. My suspicion with audio CD's with audible ticks is one of four things: The CD's are not rated for 10x burning (common problem)- make sure you buy CD's rated for at least 12x burning with drives like this, the CD's are poor quality- my advice is stay away from cheap Memorex CD's for audio... TDK spindles seem to be fine, the computer's transfer speed may not have been high enough- try using DMA, and lastly, don't do anything while you're burning- you can slow the machine down enough that a tick and be placed on the CD accidentally. Also beware that some CD players simply might not like burned CDs. My car CD player doesn't like the yellow-green ones (Memorex in particular) or the black ones... the CD's with a true blue base seem to work best overall.