Profile for Mehetabelle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 361

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mehetabelle "mehetabelle" RSS Feed (Silicon Valley United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
NOVA Volume 9
NOVA Volume 9
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars or otherwise not excellent, on the whole, December 23, 2014
I've been watching Nova for many years. Even though some episodes may be biased, partisan, simplistic, even erroneous, or otherwise not excellent, on the whole, Nova a marvelously interesting and well-produced series.

In this volume 6, the episode I really like is about the Neanderthals. There has been a lot of new knowledge revealed about the Neanderthals since this program was made, but that episode is still an excellent primer.

Rev-A-Shelf 565-10-52 565 Series 10" Width Door Mount Spice Rack, White
Rev-A-Shelf 565-10-52 565 Series 10" Width Door Mount Spice Rack, White
Offered by Buildcom
Price: $30.11
5 used & new from $30.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive, too few weight-bearing screws, December 23, 2014
Spice racks are such simple things, how many criteria can one summon? I needed a rack that's less than 11" wide. This one fulfills that. I wanted a rack that's relatively light. This wire one does that. It also has narrow as well as wide shelves so it's flexible.

The two reasons I did not give it 5 stars is, first, the high price. How can a bunch of bent wires be worth so much, even giving premium value to design? The second reason for docking one star is the weight of the rack is born by as few screws as possible. I would prefer a design that has more weight-bearing screws.

Tripwire (Jack Reacher, No. 3)
Tripwire (Jack Reacher, No. 3)
by Lee Child
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
98 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, but also not the worst. Suggest several good Reacher novels and novellas., December 23, 2014
I love Jack Reacher novels and have read every one. This one is not one of the best but also not the worst. I think the best ones are the first one, "Killing Floor" and another early one, "The Enemy." So far, the worst is "61 Hours." Lee Child has written about one novel every year or so, for many years. He has turned out great Jack Reacher novels. I forgive the few not-so-good ones.

Oh, please do read his Amazon Singles. They are not always about Jack Reacher, but all are excellent. The one I like best is about Jack Reacher as a boy, "Second Son."

The Body Shop Body Butter, Olive, 6.75 ounces
The Body Shop Body Butter, Olive, 6.75 ounces
Offered by My Glamour To Go
Price: $20.00
8 used & new from $12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Olive oil and shea oil are the second and third ingredients., December 23, 2014
The first ingredient is water, that's as it has to be or else it won't be a cream. But the second and third ingredients are why I gave this product 5 stars: olive oil and shea oil. A good friend has been putting on her face cooking olive oil for a year and attests that her skin looks much better. There is medical research that seems to affirm that olive oil, ingested and absorbed by the skin, is good for your heath. I have been using shea oil products for years and like it. (Why doesn't this review pane allow me to add links to other products?) Gold Bond's moisturizer is great, and soaps with shea are not as drying as those that don't have shea.

So this body butter includes both moisturizing oils as its second and third ingredient. Why is sequence important? I think a governmental regulatory agency has required that ingredients be listed in order of percentage of volume; the highest first.

Magna Cart Ideal Hand Truck
Magna Cart Ideal Hand Truck
Offered by Firefly Buys
Price: $38.98
4 used & new from $27.84

3.0 out of 5 stars If only the wheels were larger and closer to the vertical bar!, December 20, 2014
This review is from: Magna Cart Ideal Hand Truck
Full disclosure: I bought this item elsewhere for less than twenty dollars.

Getting this cart ready to use needs only two movements: the wheels fold out when you push the metal platform down, then pull up the handle, and you're ready to go. The flat metal platform is more rigid than the luggage cart of metal tubes that I had been using. The luggage cart carries as much weight but feels more rickety.

I use this cart to move groceries from my car into the house by putting the items into a paper box then putting the box on the cart. It will be more secure if I secured the box to the cart with a bungee cord. I've also used this cart to move furniture (lighter than 150 lbs) by levering it onto the cart, then shifting the weight from the platform to the handle. Both worked well.

Two criticisms of this cart: if the wheels were larger in diameter, the cart would be better able to go over bumps and up steps. I should see how hard it might be to replace the wheels, there seems to be extra room in the wheel clamps.

Second criticism: when folded out, the wheels are relatively far from the handle. I have to lean the handle closer to the ground to shift the weight from the platform onto onto the handle and the wheels. I am afraid the joint connecting the handle to the platform might not be very strong. If I don't lean the handle closer to the ground, it wants to stand up instead of rolling. Such a low posture will be uncomfortable for a tall person.

DII Kitchen Millennium Easy to Remove, Cut to Fit, Non Adhesive, Under The Sink Liner, Taupe
Price: $18.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Solves my problem in a good way, December 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Excellent product that solves my under-sink problems!!!!!!!!!!! Like most people, I store various kinds of cleaners and other harsh chemicals under the sink: ammonia, soap detergent, bleach, floor cleaner (an acid)... all of which would ruin the wood floor of the cabinet if spilled. So this plastic liner is perfect: it's not very thick so even mostly empty bottles wont' tip over. It's easy to cut to fit. And if it gets ruined, it's inexpensive enough to just throw it out. I don't have to put on rubber gloves to clean whatever was spilled.

Women's Rogaine Foam Hair Regrowth Treatment, 4 Month Supply, 4.22 Ounce
Women's Rogaine Foam Hair Regrowth Treatment, 4 Month Supply, 4.22 Ounce
Price: $30.18
30 used & new from $17.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Product needs 12 weeks to show results so conflicts with the Vine program requirements to review within 30 days., December 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The instructions for this product are posted on the Amazon product page and on the item itself.

Both say that daily application for "as little as 12 weeks" is necessary before any results can be seen. The first indication of hair growth is short white hairs that are 'downy' in texture. OK good information.

The Vine program requires that I review this product within one month: 4 weeks and two days which is 8 weeks short of when the product might show results. It's a dilemma.

So, I will post these words now to fulfill the Vine Program's 30 day requirement, and update this review when I see some results, very likely longer than 4 weeks from now.

Oxygen: The Molecule that Made the World (Popular Science)
Oxygen: The Molecule that Made the World (Popular Science)
by Nick Lane
Price: $14.42
55 used & new from $4.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative but low-bandwidth --- a lot of peripheral information., December 2, 2014
I've read several of Nick Lane's other books and some of his serious research papers. He certainly seems to know biochem. He has proposed some very interesting scientific theories.

The reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is I do not enjoy Dr. Lane's very British, extremely discursive writing style. Many readers think it's very entertaining and enjoyable. In a way, it indeed delivers a lot of ancillary information that is entertaining. I can see why many readers who are reading for enjoyment love that style. But I prefer a more straight forward style that has a higher ratio of scientific information to words.

Pilot G2 Gel Ink Refill, 2-Pack for Rolling Ball Pens, Fine Point, Purple Ink (77244)
Price: $2.49
17 used & new from $1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable barrel grip, lovely color, very smooth writing experience, December 2, 2014
Gosh I love the Dr. Grip pen! I have the pink barrel and people always notice and many compliment it. The 'fat' soft grip is so comfortable to hold and the ink flows so smoothly over different textures of paper. The gel ink doesn't seem to seep through porous (cheap) paper. The retractable tip means no cap to lose.

I write at a fast pace so the smoothness of the tip over the paper helps me keep up my pace. Pens that 'snag' cause me to make more loops than are correct leading to ugly, messy, illegible writing.

The refills at 2 for $2.49 is such a good deal (the pen usually sells for about $7). It's worth the trouble to buy and install re-fills than to use the pen as a one-time-use throw-away.

I love it that I can get purple ink. It's even cheaper than black ink.

Ostart 12 Sizes Multi-color Aluminum Crochet Hooks Knitting Kits Needles (3mm - 10mm)
Offered by Fashion-Store
Price: $3.71
19 used & new from $0.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, but long time to deliver and cheap packaging, December 2, 2014
Very good value for so many hooks. Being all metal, they ought to wear well and be usable for many years.

It's not the vendor's fault, it's my fault, to not have carefully measured before buying this set. The smallest hook is still a bit large for crocheting very fine (size 100) thread. But with so many different sized hooks, I have choices! I also plan to use one of these hooks, instead of upholstery needles, to pull-through the buttons's threads when reupholstering chairs and headboards.

The reason I gave 4 stars rather than 5 is it took a very long time, a month, for the hooks to arrive from China. Surely even Packet Post could do better than that. The other reason for docking one star is the packaging is just a plastic sleeve. Of course, better packaging will cost more. I plan to keep all the hooks in a box anyway, so it doesn't matter for me, but other people might like better packaging.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20