Profile for Derek Vazquez > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 56

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Derek Vazquez "DaFynestRican" RSS Feed (Springfield, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Playing House Season 1
Playing House Season 1
DVD
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars love this show!, June 26, 2014
Hilarious show. My friends and I are constantly referencing the "bird bones" episode. There are a few heartfelt moments for good measure. I just hope the premise of the show is enough to carry it through a few seasons

Sniper Elite V2 - Nintendo Wii U
Sniper Elite V2 - Nintendo Wii U
Price: $19.99
41 used & new from $15.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A good port of a pretty good title, May 26, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was eagerly antcipating this game for Wii U, and overall I was not disappointed. I love the storyline, the x-ray effect during snipes is awesome! Some of the stealth bits that require you to be up close and personal with enemies can be frustrating, but they work. Using the gamepad makes switching weapons and keeping track of the terrain (and your destination) easier; even better is the off-tv play included. Graphically, it could've stood a slight upgrade. I'm sure the Wii U is more than capable of this. As it stands it's still a pretty good looking game. If you're looking for a Wii U game with a more serious tone this may be for you.

Fast & Furious: Showdown - Nintendo Wii U
Fast & Furious: Showdown - Nintendo Wii U
Offered by BEST DEALS EVA
Price: $9.50
21 used & new from $9.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a movie licensed game, May 23, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The graphics are pretty good and the controls are spot-on. The way the game tries to span the movie series storyline is utter crap, but at least they tried something different. overall I did have fun with this title
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2013 12:18 AM PDT

Lego City: Undercover - Nintendo Wii U
Lego City: Undercover - Nintendo Wii U
Offered by best tech for you
Price: $37.99
55 used & new from $25.45

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Lego game yet!, March 23, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've played and own most of the other licensed Lego videogames and while they are fun, this is the first that I'm truly enamored with. The open-world setting, humorous characters, and great graphics keep me glued to the tv for hours at a time. I like the mission-based structure and how it lets you deviate from your goal in between or during, which is perfect for those gamers who love to collect in-game items. Also, this is the first game I've played where the gamepad feels truly integral to the experience. Whether receibving video calls for case updats, or marking destinations on the city map, it's all done intuitively and in an easy-to-handle manner. This is a great game for kids or adults. The kids will love the Lego characters and the city is ripe with things to see and do, and adults will love the open-world structure and countless movie and TV show parodies which I'm sure are lost on a younger generations. I look forward to the 3DS prequel and hopefully this isn't the last we've seen of Chase McCain on the Wii U!!!!

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Nintendo Wii U
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Nintendo Wii U
Offered by Big Game Vendor
Price: $23.49
50 used & new from $12.86

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent FPS using of the Walking Dead license, March 19, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'll start by saying that while I am a fan of the show, I have not watched past half of season 2 ( a travesty, I know), so I am reviewing the game based on a gamers view, not as a die-hard fan. The game seem to use a similar engine to Cabela's for Wii U, which employs passable character models and backdrops. Nothing that will impress, but I suppose it isn't too ugly to look at, though up close the texture work is a bit pixelated and the animation (when attacking zombies) is stiff and at times they react awkwardly. I played with the controller pro and control was tight and for the most part responsive. There were ocassionally moments I had to press the Y button more than once to pick up an item. The Gamepad displays a handy inventory screen while you play. This is essential since Survival Instinct really is more about Survival than all-out zombie warfare. As far as sound is concerned music is mostly creepy, low instruments in the background, unless an event occurs to advance the story or you are attacked, then it swells appropriately to up the tension. It mirrors the show very well in that aspect. There is a sense of fear that creeps up when you are spotted while trying to sneak about, which for the most part you'll be doing a lot of. Overall I wouldnt say it's the best FPS game I've played, but for a game based on a TV show it tries to keep authenticity. It even has the actors reprising their roles for the voice-acted bits. I'll leave it to fans of the show to grade the story since I'm no expert in that regard. I'd say it's a solid buy for Wii U owners lookig for more Zombie fun after playing through ZombiU. Fun, but don't expect it to be up to that games calibur.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror Fate - Nintendo 3DS
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror Fate - Nintendo 3DS
Offered by games_for_sale
Price: $12.99
53 used & new from $9.54

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Castlevania game in the LOS world, March 8, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If youre expecting a Castlevania game along the lines of the previous Ds entries you'll be disappointed. This takes place in the LOS Universe and follows the storyline set by the Lords of Shadow game for PS3 and Xbox, and the upcoming sequel. Its a beautiful 3ds title with fast, fluid, (sometimes repetetive) fight mechanics, and a beautiful musical score. Reviewers are entitled to their opinions, but this is one game where I have to say they are wrong!I think most reviewers expected something along the lines of those older 'vania games. Take it for what it is and you'll love it

Almost Home
Almost Home
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice change of direction!, February 22, 2013
This review is from: Almost Home (MP3 Music)
Manages to sound completely different for Mariah without feeling out of place. Her beautiful voice shines on this inspirational track!

Activision Skylanders Giants Single Character Eye Brawl
Activision Skylanders Giants Single Character Eye Brawl
Offered by Insane Web Deals...Simply the Best Deals on the Web!
Price: $14.00
100 used & new from $6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the topic, January 27, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Just as with any in-demand item, sellers will price high when demand is high and stock is low. It's called business. My local gamestop had these in stock and I bought a few. Within hours all of them were gone and none of the other local stores have them. Don't blame people for making a profit if the opportunity presents itself. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy from Amazon sellers.

Now, as for an ACTUAL REVIEW on the item, Eyebrawl along with the unreleased Ninjini are, in my opinion, the two most creative of the Giants. The backstory of two separate entities joining forces is pretty creative and his moves are pretty cool, as well! Definitely a worthy addition the the Skylanders collection!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2013 5:50 AM PST

Tales of the Abyss - Nintendo 3DS
Tales of the Abyss - Nintendo 3DS
Price: $29.99
60 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars JRPG Heaven, February 16, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I miss these games: all at once overly dramatic and delightfully silly, with a cast of distinct if not cliche characters and music that gets stuck in your head for hours after you've put it down. Of course, Im referring specifically to JRPGs. I understand that the masses are moving toward western designs when it comes to their rolepaying fixes, so maybe it's just that I grew up on these so nostalgia surely pays it's part.

I'd never played Tales of The Abyss, though I have played other games in the series, so it didn't take much for me to jump right in. Namco Bandai pretty much reuses the same structure for it's Tales games. Guess that means if you don't like any one particular game in the series for be it design, art direction, or whatever you won't like this one. I've read that everything minus the multiplayer has made in intact in the 3DS port, which is only slightly disappointing. It woud have been nice to have it, but I recall it was never easy to get someone to sit and play with me anyhow.

Graphically, the anime-style characters and varied backdrops are easy on the eyes, with both being detailed enough to stand out while retaining a simplistic charm. I found the color palette to be slighty muted, but that's my opinion. Not sure if the same can be said of the original, but regardless it looks good on the 3DS' 16:9 screen. The 3D effect is another matter. It is understated to the point where it seems almost unnecessary. In many scenes I found it made little difference whether the effect was off or dialed all the way up and in the end I turned it completely off. It's not an important gripe and the game is great otherwise.

As far as story is concerned I found TOTA to be one of the better games in the series. This game came from a time where companies strived to make you feel a connection for these fictional personas and it shows. For every character you cant stand theres one or two that will make you smile and keep rooting for them throughout. The Narrative is delivered well enough that you know whats going on but it doesnt get too convoluted.

Overall I really liked TOTA on 3DS. Its also great to finally have a more traditional RPG experience on the system, with the only other RPG experience available being Shin Megami Tensei for those who prefer strategy more. I'd recommend this to any fan of the series, or those looking for a more involved experience on their Nintendo Portable.

Tekken 3D Prime Edition - Nintendo 3DS
Tekken 3D Prime Edition - Nintendo 3DS
Offered by Tech Finder
Price: $42.99
30 used & new from $25.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Tekken 6 in 3D, February 15, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If youre a Tekken fan and enjoyed 6, Youll like this one. Its basically a no-frills port with great graphics and 3D effects. IT lacks customization features present in the console versions, but I was never a big fan of those anyhow. Otherwise, it's a solid addition to the 3DS' fighting game line-up and online play adds to the replayability.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6