Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Profile for K. Crawford > Reviews

Browse

K. Crawford's Profile

Customer Reviews: 69

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Crawford RSS Feed (Roseville, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Party Essentials N5124 Hard Plastic 1-Piece Champagne Flute Box Set, 5-Ounce Capacity, Clear (Case of 48)
Price: $29.27
15 used & new from $24.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality plastic glasses, April 19, 2016
I bought the case of 48. It comes in boxed packages of 4 inside a larger box. The smaller boxes have 4 inside a sealed plastic bag. All 48 of mine were straight. I either got lucky or the people who got the crooked ones got unlucky. The seams are visible, but are light enough they don't overly distract from the appearance.

Personally, I don't like that they're 1-piece. You can't stack them for storage like the 2-piece ones. We ended up with about 8 left over and I'll end up just throwing them away as opposed to storing them. If they were stackable, I'd probably keep them. However, in the big picture, it's not a big deal, it just means I'd only suggest buying exactly what you need, not extras for a future event.

Harmony House Foods, Dried Tomato Powder, 24 Ounce Quart Size Jar
Harmony House Foods, Dried Tomato Powder, 24 Ounce Quart Size Jar
Offered by Harmony House Foods, Inc.
Price: $17.97
3 used & new from $17.97

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my backpacking meal staples, March 24, 2016
I gave up buying pre-packaged freeze-dried backpacking food a couple years ago. There's only so many options out there and the quantities are never quite right, particularly if you're cooking for more than one (at a minimum, there's lots of wasteful packaging you have to pack-in/pack-out). Plus it gets expensive fast!

It took some time investment to learn what I could do on my own, but I'm really glad I did. The key to do-it-yourself backpacking food is to have all of the staples you need to make most recipes in dehydrated form. Think about what you need for most recipes:
-Meat (dehydrate yourself, buy freeze-dried in bulk or room-temp sausages)
-Butter (substitute olive oil)
-Milk/cream (powdered milk)
-Cheese (powdered "cheese" -OK, it's often not actually cheese)
-Grains (already dehydrated by default) - this includes noodles, rice (instant), crackers, tortillas, chips, etc.
-Tomato sauce (Tomato powder - THIS PRODUCT)
-Spices

The diversity of meals you can make with the above is truly remarkable and Harmony House Dried Tomato Powder is a key to a lot of my recipes. Here's a recipe I used this past weekend that I call "Tangy Cous-Cous Spaghetti":

Before the trip, in a ziplock bag combine:
-1/2 cup cous-cous
-Half package of Lowry's spaghetti spices & seasoning
-1/8th cup (0.75 oz) of Harmony House Dried Tomato Powder
-1/4 teaspoon of salt (or as desired for taste)

Bring on the trail:
-Above ziplock bag
-4 oz of summer sausage
-1/2 oz of olive oil

Directions:
-Bring 1 3/4 cups of water and olive oil to a boil
-Once at boil, lower heat to simmer and pour in contents of ziplock bag
-Stir for about 1 to 2 minutes until cous-cous absorbs all the water
-Cut up summer sausage into bite size chunks and stir into pasta
-Eat out of the pot - Serves 1 to 2 people (depending on if it's your entire meal)

It only takes about 5 minutes to prep at home and another 5 minutes on the trail. Plus, it's a single pot meal, which means very little mess. Finally, and probably the best part is it only weights about 9.5 oz (pack weight) for over 1000 calories. You're doing well if your meals are over 100 calories/ounce.

In any case, that's a long way of saying that Harmony House Dried Tomato Powder is a staple of my backpacking meal recipes and a great product.

MSR Carbon Core Stake Kit
MSR Carbon Core Stake Kit
Price: $24.97
13 used & new from $17.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Have to be used correctly - but nothing better if you do, February 13, 2016
This review is from: MSR Carbon Core Stake Kit (Sports)
It's disappointing to see the reviews from those who abused the stakes and then blame it on the stake. These are ultra-light stakes and have to be treated appropriately. If you do, there's no better stake out there. It's the lightest stake with this big of a diameter out there. That means for it's weight, it has the best holding power. And it's titanium over carbon tube design means it is VERY strong for it's weight. (and that's the key phrase: 'for its weight') I've pounded on it surprisingly hard with a rock without it bending. I'm very impressed.

If that's not what you want, fine, go buy a different stake and wail away with your hammer. But don't blame the stake. It's not designed for what you want to do.

Finally some advice for those who want to treat them right: It VERY difficult to push in a stake with your foot without putting a LOT of bending pressure on it. We also don't have a good sense of how much force we're putting on it. So of course that's going to bend them if you use your foot. Instead, use a rock/hammer and focus on hitting it squarely so there's very little bending force. Get down on your hands and knees and start light and build up from there. Recognize, the harder you hammer, the more likely you're going to hit it off-center and add some bending motion and eventually bend them. If you can't break through without hammering excessively hard, consider moving the stake to a different location. To that end, some people like to connect the stake directly to the tent grommet. That's a mistake because you can't change the stake location and are more committed to pounding through than finding a better spot a few inches away. Instead, add a short segment of line so that you have flexibility to where you can put the stake.

Monsieur Notebook Leather Journal - Brown Ruled Medium (Monsieur Notebook Ruled, 24-lb Ivory)
by Hide Stationery Ltd
Edition: Stationery
Price: $15.72
31 used & new from $7.49

2.0 out of 5 stars REALLY thin leather, September 17, 2015
I had high hopes for this notebook, but upon receipt I was underwhelmed. The leather is REALLY thin. The wrinkling that the video reviews point to is because it is really thin leather glued to cardboard. I don't anticipate it breaking in like they say. I bet it gets worse and worse.

In any case, the result of the very thin leather is it doesn't feel like a leather notebook. It has a plastic feel to it. Also, the grain of the leather is not very deep. So it doesn't look very leather-like. Thus I think a "bonded leather" (the leather equivalent of particle board) notebook gives a more traditional leather feel/look to it. This is not worth the premium one pays for the real leather.

10 Sets Waterproof 2 Pin 10cm 22 Gauge Connector Cable Wire Terminal LED Light Strips

2.0 out of 5 stars Not waterproof, June 11, 2015
Although this connector has its value (small, active latch) the title is misleading. There's nothing waterproof about it. Resistance between the red and black went from unmeasurably high, down to 600k during a spray/rain test (I put it in the shower) and about 2M during a submersion test. I should put one star, but seeing how it has other positives, I'll be nice and give it 2 stars.

uxcell Off White Cylinder Battery Holder Adapter for 3x1.5V AA Batteries
uxcell Off White Cylinder Battery Holder Adapter for 3x1.5V AA Batteries
Offered by FAR CLOUD
Price: $2.16
5 used & new from $2.16

1.0 out of 5 stars Now it's REALLY buyer beware..., June 3, 2015
I saw the reviews stating that this was in series, not in parallel... but unlike those others, I was happy to hear it. That's what I wanted. So of course, Murphy's Law and all, what I get in the mail is in parallel. So, don't be fooled. You just don't know what you're going to get. It could be series or parallel. Know you're rolling the dice when you order it. Perhaps we need a product swapping program between us unfortunates who get the wrong one?

Hip Girl Boutique Grosgrain or Satin Ribbon Value Pack (40yd(8x5yd) 1/4" Single Face Satin Ribbon-Color May Vary)--a038
Offered by Hip Girl Boutique LLC
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for use as bible placemarks/ribbons, March 4, 2015
My use for them was as bible ribbons. They look great and appear to be well enough made that the chafing of moving from page to page shouldn't affect them. Lots of color choices to pick from in the pack. A perfect little kit for my purposes.

Dockers Men's 3 Pack Big-Tall Crew T-Shirt, White, XX-Large/Tall
Dockers Men's 3 Pack Big-Tall Crew T-Shirt, White, XX-Large/Tall

4.0 out of 5 stars Good even if the sleeves are a bit long, March 4, 2015
I agree with others that the sleeves are a bit long if you want to use it with short sleeve shirts. I ended up hemming them shorter.

Other than that, great feeling cotton, nice and long for my unfortunately large belly and haven't shrunk too much across 4 washes so far.

StudioFX 10x10 Chromakey Green Muslin Backdrop 100% Photography Photo Video Green Screen
Offered by ACM GLOBAL
Price: $25.49
2 used & new from $24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really "chromakey green", March 4, 2015
While this has worked OK for my amateur needs, the green shade of this is not nearly as bright as one would need to be true chromakey green. Otherwise the fabric is of a reasonable quality and a nice big size for a cheap price. For my limited uses, I'd buy again even though it's not as bright as it should be.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2016 2:42 AM PST

Freud LU96R010 10-Inch 80 Tooth TCG Thin Kerf Laminate Cutting Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating
Price: Click here to see our price
6 used & new from $65.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than cheaper blades, March 4, 2015
Why didn't I buy this thing sooner? I kept delaying, not wanting to spend this much. My existing blade is fine, right?

Well, accidentally dropped my old 80 tooth blade and now had the excuse I needed to buy this. Let me tell you, it makes a world of difference. It's quiet, the friction is definitely lower, the thin kerf results in both less saw dust and faster feed rates, and it makes a very clean cut in hardwood. I haven't tried it with laminate yet.

In fairness, I haven't tried a higher end blade like a Forrester yet, so maybe those are even better. But if you're wondering if you should upgrade from the blades that come with the saw or you get at Home Depot/Lowes because you're unsatisfied with the quality of its cuts, do it and do it now. If you have to drop your old blade while swapping out the dado or something so you have an excuse for your wife... well, I won't tell. :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7