Profile for K. Crawford > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 59

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Crawford RSS Feed (Roseville, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Osprey Youth Ace 75 Backpack, Ivy Green, One Size
Osprey Youth Ace 75 Backpack, Ivy Green, One Size
Price: $179.99
4 used & new from $179.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best large capacity youth pack, but could be better, February 19, 2015
Bought after looking at the Gregory Wanderer 70 and the REI Passage 65 at the REI store. My son has an old 10 degree synthetic kids sleeping bag and it darned near takes up half the pack for the smaller packs like the passage 40, so we were looking for something bigger. (and let me tell you, this is a BIG pack for a kid)

We're a gear weight conscious family and it's the reason we picked the Osprey. It's the lightest of the high-capacity packs. On my home scale it weighed in at 3 lbs 6 oz without the included rain guard (which weights another 5 oz).

A few complaints about this overall strong pack:
1. The storage compartment for the rain guard is in a bad spot (exterior zipper on the bottom of the pack). If you use the included straps to attach a pad under the pack, you can't get the rain guard out. They should have just left that off and saved the weight of the zipper and extra layer of fabric and suggested you put the rain guard in the upper compartment.
2. Most of the straps are too long. The hip belt is big enough for my 50" waist for pete's sake! I suspect they were going for lots of sizing flexibility, which it has, but it was overkill and adds unneeded weight and frankly on my son the tail of the hip belt hangs down so low it could be a safety issue if left to hang. (I'll be trimming about 8 straps to get it down a few ounces)
3. The attachment point for the sleeping bag barrier (the fabric the separates the sleeping back portion of the main compartment from the upper half) is too high on the front (the side up against your back) of the pack. The effect is that the hydration sleeve too compressed by the sleeping bag to slide a platypus bladder in after the sleeping bag is loaded. Not a huge deal except when you want to refill mid-day.

But overall, those are minor complaints and it is a good solid pack and better than either the REI or Gregory equivalent pack.

Rite in the Rain All Weather Copier Paper 25-Pack
Rite in the Rain All Weather Copier Paper 25-Pack
Offered by RainWriter
Price: $15.77
5 used & new from $9.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, August 11, 2014
I've used "Adventure paper" (AP) for many years with both my old ink jet printer and my new color laser printer. It's pretty pricey and when I saw "Rite in the Rain" (RR) for about half the price I decided to try it.

RR is much thinner than AP and it feels much more like paper. AP feels more like a thin spongy piece of porous plastic. Nothing wrong with that at all. RR felt so much like a piece of paper I was at first skeptical. I printed a double-sided maps on it and ran water over it for 5 minutes rubbing the ink to see if it would smear. It held up great. Then I soaked it in the sink for about 45 minutes. It was holding up, but it was starting to look "saturated"... but as I said it was holding up. I had to go and didn't want to leave over night, so I pulled it out. After drying it out, it was wrinkled but was still usable.

Other reviewers said things about ink smearing. If they meant ink like an ink jet printer (they didn't fully specify), I can't comment. But I can comment that both a ball point pen and a highlighter worked just fine without smearing.

Overall, AP is thicker, holds up better and also can be used with ink jet printers... but is twice as much as RR. For my needs RR works just fine, so I'll be using it, but there are reasons one might prefer AP.

DROK® DC-DC Converter Buck Regulator 5V-30V to 0.8-29V Constant Current/Voltage Power Supply Module 5A, LED Ammeter Voltmeter Display
Offered by Elec Nano
Price: $15.70
3 used & new from $10.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Met all my needs and it's pretty dang small, July 30, 2014
Very impressed with this little unit. I had a number of worries when I bought it, but I figured for $16 it was worth giving a try.

A few learnings:
1. The voltage meter measures the output voltage and from best I can tell can not be changed to measure the input (which is what I wanted).
2. The current meter runs off of the return/negative side of the converter. Make sure your load isn't grounded elsewhere, bypassing the current meter. (Although if you don't care, it'll work just fine without the return current going through it.)
3. You can short the input and output to bypass the regulator. For my application I wanted to be able to do this. The upside of doing this as opposed to switching the load's input between the regulated output and the main input is that the voltage meter still works.
4. Noise rejection is pretty good. I've got a noise problem in my environment (my boat) where my VHF radio is being affected by both EMF and electrical noise from other electronics. Using this regulator significantly reduced the electrical noise on the VHF radio.
5. The recommendation for using a heatsink for applications over 3 amps appear unnecessary when the moments over 3 amps are not that long, at least in a low voltage drop applications. The only time I get over 3 amps is when transmitting over the VHF radio (about 4.75 amps when everything else is drawing too). I transmitted for 20+ seconds at 1-2 minute intervals repeatedly at 95 degrees ambient temperature in my garage without the main chip getting meaningfully hot. To be fair, my voltage drop was only 2.1V (from 14.1V to 12V). This might be quite different when regulating to 6V off of a 24V input (or something similar).

Hopefully that data is helpful to others... as I said, it met all my needs, but I can see where there might be a few areas where others would disagree, particularly #1 and #2.

Pepperell Rexlace Plastic Lacing Cord, 450-Feet, Primary
Pepperell Rexlace Plastic Lacing Cord, 450-Feet, Primary
Price: $6.32
13 used & new from $4.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Missing red, July 29, 2014
Overall exactly what I expected. It's the classic stuff used to make lanyards and necklaces and the such. My only complaint is that the set is missing red. If I was being really picky I'd say the colors skew a little neon for my tastes, but overall, red is the only meaningful color oversight.

Pope Francis: Why He Leads the Way He Leads
Pope Francis: Why He Leads the Way He Leads
by Chris Lowney
Price: $14.53
72 used & new from $9.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Despite it's many shortcomings... intriguing and needed book., July 22, 2014
There's much to like about "Pope Francis: Why he leads the way he leads" but at the same time, it was very frustrating to me.

First, I'll echo what others said about condensing it. I can't think of another book with so much repetition in 150 pages. He could have said what he did in a third the space... but then it wouldn't be a book, it would be a long essay, wouldn't it?

Second, it sure felt like Mr. Lowney was shoehorning Pope Francis into his personal management/leadership philosophy. Multiple times in the book he freely admits that Pope Francis would object to the way he was twisting his words... and yet that didn't seem to stop him from co-opting Francis' words.

Third, Mr. Lowney's experience as a Jesuit Novice and excitement over a Jesuit Pope has blinded him to tons other examples of Catholic leadership that reenforce his points. The most glaring example of this was his discussion of how leadership positions within the Jesuits are temporary and once completed most return to "lesser" positions within the order. How can you talk about that and NOT mention the courageous example of Pope Benedict stepping down as Pope? It's a historic example of not seizing and holding power for power's sake. Not mentioning it gives the impression of an author who is writing from a partisan perspective and unwilling to acknowledge those outside his bubble.

Fourth, who is Mr. Lowney writing to? He writes as if the audience is business leaders of all creeds, yet the title of the book and it being published by the Jesuits, will prevent it from getting much play outside of Catholic circles. It feels like he spends a quarter of the time he's not repeating himself apologizing for the Christian nature of his words and trying to find a way to generalize it so that it is widely appealing... yet failing miserably in doing so.

Fifth, Mr. Lowney keeps speaking to the need for "change", particularly within the Catholic Church, without spending any time talking about what sort of change that is, other than how leaders lead. In one aspect this was a result of what I spoke of in my previous point, where he seemed to be avoiding anything that could dissuade a reading of a particular ideology from reading his book. Nevertheless the result was he appears to be advocating change for change's sake without any grounding as to why or where we should be headed.

Despite all of that, and I recognize it's a litany of complaints I'm making, I couldn't help but like what Mr. Lowney has to say about what makes a good leader. I wish FAR more leaders would embrace the message he was preaching. And since there are so few out there willing to promote a vision of leadership like this, I have to praise Mr. Lowney for doing so.

Can one see why it was a frustrating read to me?

My advice to Mr. Lowney: Write two more books. One that makes no mention of God and is truly a general leadership book. Write a second that embraces out Catholic faith in its fullness and refuses to apologize for it. In both cases, leave Francis out of it and talk about the merits of your leadership ideas on their own merits. I'm confident both would be better than this jumbled mess that practically gores itself on the fence it is trying to balance on.

Estes Savage BT55 2 Stage Kit
Estes Savage BT55 2 Stage Kit
Price: $21.18
14 used & new from $17.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Estes elastic straps stink!, July 2, 2014
The weak part of all Estes rocket kits is the elastic. I've now had 3 different Estes rockets, this one included, that have structurally failed during chute deployment because the elastic snapped. While I might buy an Estes kit again, I'll be using my own shock cord that I won't be concerned about it failing. I docked it one star for this.

Overall, this is a 3-star rocket. It was indeed quick to build (the criteria for purchase on this one was prime-shipping and build-able in an evening) and it's design is OK. The plastic fins and booster assembly are a bit weak, and were more difficult to understand how to put together than I would have liked, but they did make for quick assembly. It would also be nice if the sustainer was a 24mm engine size, like the booster as opposed to the smaller 18mm size.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2015 8:20 AM PST

Sperry Top-Sider Men's Authentic Original Boat Shoe,Amaretto,9.5 W US
Sperry Top-Sider Men's Authentic Original Boat Shoe,Amaretto,9.5 W US
Offered by Shoe Station
Price: $87.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Are Sperry's getting even narrower or are my feet getting fatter?, July 2, 2014
I've been wearing Sperry TopSiders for 25 years and they're still my favorite shoes. At some point many years ago I realized that I needed to buy the wide sizing of the shoes. I could buy the normal width and within a month my feet would stretch out the leather and they'd be fine, but why deal with that month of overly tight shoes? The wide sized ones were perfect.

But when I put these ones one I immediately took them off to check to make sure that they didn't accidentally ship me the normal width ones. Nope. They just feel tight even though they're the wide size. Maybe I just got a pair that were on the narrow side...

But overall, I still love my TopSiders!

Soffe Men's Classic 100% Cotton Pocket Short, Black, XXL
Soffe Men's Classic 100% Cotton Pocket Short, Black, XXL
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $9.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Name brands are increasingly for suckers, July 2, 2014
I used to buy more name brand clothing because I could count on certain quality levels that no-name clothing wouldn't have. But increasingly those name brand companies are trying to squeeze every dollar of profit out as opposed to putting out a quality product.

These shorts are no exception. These are nice, reasonably good quality sweat shorts and probably better quality than the name brand competitors based on the reviews.

Electronic Digital Caliper 8" with Extra large LCD Display Screen with Carrying Case
Offered by Factory Authorized Outlet
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price, July 2, 2014
I saw a lot of negative reviews around this product, both speaking to it's build quality and it's accuracy. I ended up buying it anyway because there were enough positive reviews and nobody could touch it from a cost perspective for an 8" long caliper. Those talking about build quality are accurate... this is a cheaply made unit and reflects that. But you know what, it's good enough for most around the home-shop stuff. Accuracy wise, it looks reasonable. Again, I'm sure there's better stuff out there, but it comes pretty close to meeting its specs, which frankly is impressive to me.

Overall, for the price, it's hard to complain. For those who insist on top-notch stuff, put your money where your mouth is and spend $60 on an 8" iGauge or even more for a traditional elite brand. But don't buy this $20 one and complain that it's not up to your quality expectations.

Zebra M-701 Mechanical Pencil, 0.7mm, 1 Each (59411)
Zebra M-701 Mechanical Pencil, 0.7mm, 1 Each (59411)
Price: $6.09
23 used & new from $5.71

3.0 out of 5 stars Only 0.7mm option!?!, June 26, 2014
I was so excited about the M-701 when I ordered it. I had recently received an F-701 pen and was thrilled with it's design. A definite 5-star pen. I like the 301 series pen and pencil too, but the 701 series is a significant step up.

But then when it arrived I realized I had mistakenly ordered a 0.7mm version. Oops, my mistake! No reason to dock them stars for that... until I realized, at least as far as I can tell, Zebra doesn't MAKE a 0.5mm version of the M-701. That's completely bogus and a real turn off. I'll be nice and only dock them 2-stars (since my complaint is not specifically about this model but about the 701 line as a whole), but I won't be buying again.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2014 5:57 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6