Profile for S. Dahl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Dahl RSS Feed (St. Paul, MN United States)

The Dragonriders of Pern: Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon (Pern: The Dragonriders of Pern)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Mccaffrey: What could be better than getting to know the dragonriders all over again on Kindle?, March 27, 2014
I've been an Anne Mccaffrey fan since ... many, many years ago (I'm 62-years old now). I've purged my old paperback and hardcover books many times when I've moved over the years, but have ALWAYS kept a ceiling-high bookshelf full of my favorite Sci-Fi books. The only 2 authors that I've never parted with ANY book that I've ever bought are Robert Heinlein and Anne Mccaffrey. I've scouted new and used book stores for them, along with Ebay and Amazon.com.

And now - just when it's getting to be too much eye strain to read the tiny font in most paperback books - I'm in love with reading all over again on my Kindle. I just downloaded the first 3 Dragonriders of Pern books, and can't wait to skip right to The White Dragon, and watch him crack out of his shell once again (and wish that I could be a dragonrider) and meet his rider.

If you're new to Anne Mccaffrey - lucky you! I'm going to revisit these books with love, but you get to read them for the first time.

Preserving Hope (The Aliomenti Saga - Book 2)
Preserving Hope (The Aliomenti Saga - Book 2)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Preserving Hope, October 15, 2013
I just finished reading Preserving Hope, and am in the middle of reading the 3rd book in the series, Ascent of the Aliomenti. If I remember correctly, I got the 1st book in the series through BookBub for free (or $.99, at the most), and as soon as I finished the 1st book, I looked for the 2nd. It's unusual that I get to the end of a series of books without becoming bored; but after reading Preserving Hope, I bought ALL of the rest of the books in the series that have been written so far.

I read a lot, and most of it is in the sci-fi genre. I enjoy series books, but normally read other books in between, and then go back and read another in the series. In the best of them, it is like returning to an old friend. With the Aliomenti Saga, I've read them straight through, one after another. It's a GREAT story with characters that I love and others who I dislike, but I feel that I really know them all and want to keep reading what happens next. Mostly, the good stuff has been said in other 5-star reviews ... just adding mine.

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself, October 15, 2013
This book was eye-opening. After reading it, I started searching for more books about the Civil War, and especially about the real lives of slaves and those who escaped from the southern states, and also those who put their lives on the line to help them.

The Shy Bride (Traditional Greek Husbands Book 1)
The Shy Bride (Traditional Greek Husbands Book 1)
Price: $4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shy Bride, October 15, 2013
I read a lot - mostly sci-fi, historical fiction, and others, with only 2-3 romance novels/year in the mix. This one was a winner!

WinPoker, professional video poker trainer
WinPoker, professional video poker trainer
4 used & new from $99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars WinPoker - exactly what I was looking for, October 15, 2013
This is well worth the price. It helped me to improve my game within the first day of playing (One example: did you know that if you are dealt 2 pairs in Deuces Wild, you should keep only 1 of the pairs and draw 3 cards? You are better off to go for 3-of-a-kind or even 4-of-a-kind than trying for the Full House). It can let you know when you make a mistake, and analyze your play for each game with percentage of correct plays, how much you would have won/lost if you had made all correct plays, and other information.

It contained the games that I was specifically looking for, which were Jacks or Better and Deuces Wild; but also contains a total of 23 different poker games - some of which I hadn't played before, but will play in the future after trying them out on WinPoker. I believe that it does have the majority of games included that you see at casinos: Bonus Poker, Double Bonus Poker, etc.

There are many other options that I was happy to see, like playing the hands in your error log over again. I did that after a couple of weeks of play, and was surprised at the percentage that I played correctly the second time around.

I would buy this whether you're just looking for a fun game to play, or looking (like I was) to improve your game prior to another trip to the casino.

Family Fluxx
Family Fluxx
Offered by Safari Pearl
Price: $47.99
5 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Fluxx is fun, but not for 6-year-olds, August 30, 2012
This review is from: Family Fluxx (Toy)
I bought this game to play with my 6 & 10-year-old grand-kids. The instructions said that you could jump right into playing without reading the rules, and just follow the instructions on the cards as they're played. I would recommend against doing this with children because the Rules and Goals on the table can mount up, and it can be confusing to figure out which Rules to use.

I asked a friend to try the game out with me before I took it over to play with my grand-kids, and I'm glad that I did. We had a frustrating time of it, and ended up stopping to read the rules and FAQs. That was probably the best way to do it. Without trying to play it first, the FAQs wouldn't have all made sense, For example, what would you think of "If you play a Keeper, and I already had a Keeper, do I have to discard the first one to play the new one? Is there a Limit to the number of Keepers I can have in play?"

After trying to play the game with my friend, reading the rules, and playing some more, I also went to the website to read the latest FAQ updates. That was helpful too. Now, I'm planning to take the game over to play it with my grand-kids when I see them next time. I feel like I'll be able to guide them through it.

Winsome Wood Storage Hall Bench
Winsome Wood Storage Hall Bench
Price: $119.00
25 used & new from $101.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Storage hall bench lacked detailed assembly instructions, August 17, 2011
I like how the bench turned out, but gave it 3 stars because of 3 things. First, the instructions were not detailed enough (for me). For instance, they didn't show or write instructions for how to use the "cam lock nuts", or even list the names of any of the components. I broke 2 or them before I went online to find instructions to install them. There were no extras, and I didn't even know what to call them, so that took some time. I ended up using some wood glue for extra support, since 2 of the lock nuts were broken.

The back of the bench is only a little heavier than black poster board. I ended up throwing that away, because it wouldn't fit into the grooves tightly. That was fine, since I didn't mind seeing the wall behind the bench.

Lastly, there were 2 small trim pieces that fit on the bottom corners of the front section, and the screws were not long enough to hold them on tightly (or the pre-drilled holes were too large). Right now, they remain off.

I'm a 58-year old woman, but I consider myself to be mechanically-inclined. This bench was a pain to assemble on my own, but it still ended up looking nice and it's sturdy enough to sit on. If you're handier than I am, you probably won't miss not having step-by-step instructions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2012 1:27 PM PST

Guidecraft G51084 Clamp On Paper Center
Guidecraft G51084 Clamp On Paper Center

5.0 out of 5 stars My grand-daughter loves this endless paper supply!, March 29, 2010
I bought this for Christmas for my 6-year-old grand-daughter, and she loves it! She has a little desk in her bedroom, where her dad clamped the roller for her to use. It gives her an unlimited paper supply for drawing, practicing with her STAMPS before she stamps them onto a more expensive card, or just to cover up her desk to protect it if she's doing something messy.

I did quite a bit of shopping around (not just at Amazon.com) before I selected this particular style, and then to look for the BEST PRICE. I was very happy with the quality for the price, and the fact that it's wood instead of plastic. It is just as brightly colored as it shows in the photo. It's March now, and it has held up well - so far, so good. The only thing that I would do differently, is to buy an extra roll of paper to go along with the gift!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars ProTec PC-1 vs. ProTec PC-2, & PC-3 Cleaning Cartridges, November 27, 2007
This is a combination Honeywell review, and question about ProTec:

I purchased a Honeywell, HCM-631 QuietCare Cool Mist Humidifier a month ago. The instructions say that the replacement filters for this unit are HAC-504AW, and the ProTec Cleaning Cartridge. I find that Amazon.com routinely has the BEST pricing on many, many items, and these replacement filter prices are no exception. I compared pricing all over the internet, and didn't find any better than Amazon.com.

My question is that I found both ProTec Cartridge numbers PC-1 and PC-2 listed. At first, I thought that the number following the "PC" signified how many units were in the package, since the PC-1 is a single-pack, and PC-2 is a 2-pack; but then I saw that there's also a #PC-3, and that's a single-pack, too. I've searched all over the internet to try to find out if there's any difference between the PC-1, 2, and 3. I can't find anything about that, including on the Honeywell site.

There's another review here that states that they purchased a ProTec 3-pack, and what they actually received was not as stated. If I remember correctly, they also said that the packing list didn't agree with the quantity of units that they received, either. Now I'm confused, and I hate to buy things by mail, and then have to return them if they're not right ... especially when the instructions should have been clearer to start with!

I'm going to go ahead and order the 3-pack, since it's a better deal per unit price. I'll report back with another post about if I actually got the 3-pack of ProTec Cleaning Cartridges that I ordered, and if they are any different than the original cartridge that came with my humidifier. In the meantime - is there anyone who knows if there's any difference between PC-1, 2 and 3?

Lastly, I'm mostly happy with the HCM-631. I ultimately bought it because I needed the small footprint and liked the black color, despite some bad reviews for the model. My only complaint is that it IS inconvenient to fill the tank, because it's not flat when you turn it upside down to re-fill with water. It DOES fit under the faucet in my kitchen sink (I have a pot-type of faucet that is a little higher than typical faucets); but you do have to hold onto the tank with two hands when filling, and then balance it with one hand while replacing the screw-on cap. It's not as convenient as if the top were to be flat. If it would have been designed that way, it would have also held more water in the tank with the same footprint on the floor.

I was forewarned about that by a review that I read before buying, so I can't really complain about it. I have the controls turned up to where it needs to be filled twice per day, so refilling the tank is getting to be an annoyance (it would only need to be filled once/day if the controls were turned down to humidify just one room); but I'm still happy with how much humidity it puts into the air, and how fresh the air smells. I can already tell how much gunk that the filter is taking out of the air by how brown it's getting. I don't think that you're really supposed to do this: I'm trying to extend the life of the filter by rinsing it out frequently. After I use vinegar to clean the humidifier, I also soak the filter in it.

When you compare prices for a new humidifier - don't forget to include the monthly cost of filters, shipping, and any water treatment or cleaning supplies that may be needed over time.

Regards,
S. Dahl

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Strap, November 4, 2007
I have 3 different types of knee braces, and this one is the most comfortable and useful. My Rheumatologist suggested that I purchase a brace because of tendonitis of the patella tendon. He printed a couple of pages off of the Amazon site to show me examples of which type of brace would be the best for me, and they included both this dual-strap version, some 1-strap versions, and some more complicated supports. In my wisdom and pain, I wanted to get something right away, so I stopped at the Medical Clinic's store and bought what they had there, which was rubber, and had a hole cut out for the knee. The saleslady told me that it was recommended for patellar tendonitis. It was too hot and slipped down my leg so that I had to pull it up constantly. The one-strap version felt like it cut into my knee, rather than supporting it. This 2-strap version has become the one that I put on when I'm going to be out walking. The top strap holds it up enough that the lower strap doesn't need to be tightened more than "snugly", as recommended. The measuring and sizing chart on the site gave me a perfect fit, even if my knee is more swollen or less swollen, and the quality is good.