Profile for laurathomas61 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 485

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

laurathomas61 RSS Feed (alabama)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Shelf Life: The Publicist - Book Two
Shelf Life: The Publicist - Book Two
by Christina George
Price: $8.99
10 used & new from $1.98

4.0 out of 5 stars The author brings it in this second book too!, May 22, 2015
I really enjoyed the first book in this series so I was anxious to see where Kate and mac were in this next chapter.

The world or a publicist is a crazy as ever. From authors faking 5 Star reviews, to one who wrote a book about how she lost a bunch of weight, except shed didn’t, to an author being arrested for a despicable crime, Kate is in the thick of it.

Then Kate is betrayed by the man she loves and is assaulted by someone and her whole world comes crashing down. No way will she be returning to Morris and Dean.

Now Kate is behind the wheel of a pink Cadillac convertible, heading towards Los Angeles and a new future and maybe a new romance.

Nick is opening his home to her, as a guest, but I’m sure he wants more. He’s still in love with her and remains hopeful Kate will get over Mac.

Mac betrayed her in the worst possible way. I couldn’t believe it. He always seemed so strong, so sure of himself. I guess he isn’t that strong after all. He chose a cowards way out of a sticky situation and it hurt Kate deeply.

I wanted to give Kate a high five for finally putting the brakes on her relationship with Mac. He is married and shows no signs of leaving his wife. His latest stunt broke her heart but set her on a new path. One I find very exciting.

There are big changes in this second book. Some so exciting I wish I could share. But that would be spoiling it. Gots to leave you with some anticipation.

I’m still having fun with this series and am almost finished reading the third book, Climax. If your looking for a great summer read, these will do nicely. I hope you try them.

I received this book for my honest review.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Price: $119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Paperwhite Rules!, May 21, 2015
I must say I got more than I was expecting with my Kindle Paperwhite. Everything is so easy. There are so many convenient features and this is important as I review 4 to 8 books a week and read a lot more than that. The back light is awesome for nighttime and outdoor reading. And the battery lasts a very long time. Nothing upsets me more than to be reading a book and the battery runs out. Doesn't happen with this eReader! It's not near as heavy as the Kindle Fire so it's easy to read for extended periods of time. So happy I chose this and if I ever need a new eReader, it'll be a Paperwhite!

Anzard
Anzard
by Christopher J. Conroy
Price: $9.89
12 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts your imagination into overdrive!, May 19, 2015
This review is from: Anzard (Paperback)
I definitely felt like I might have fell down the rabbit hole or spun over the rainbow while reading Anzard. As Justin, along with his Tribe of Truth and Poofy, follows The Path of Possibilities, so will your children, learning to listen to and develop their own inner voices and instincts.

Justin is a normal ten year old boy about to go on the adventure of a lifetime. When his parent’s plane is lost in a storm, Justin prays for their safety, and his prayers are answered.

The mysterious world of Spiritainia has heard Justin and sent an anzard, Poofy, to help him. An anzard is a mix of angel and wizard and are tiny like a pixie.

Thus begins a magical adventure into a fantastical world filled with amazing creatures and characters. Not all are good though.

There are bad people in Possibility. The evil witch, Nosefeen, along with her wimpy husband and misfit sons, Dud and Crud, set trap after trap, trying to stop Justin and his new friends. They don’t want Justin to find himself. They don’t want Goodness.

As Justin faces each obstacle, he learns from his friends, starts to listen to and trust his own inner voice and make his own decisions. He’s on the right path to self discovery. To finding out who he’s supposed to be. This will help him find his parents and return him home.

Anzard is a treasure. A magical, supernatural adventure with characters you’ll love and loathe.

The Tribe of Truth, which consists of Regal the eagle, Billy the goat, Chumpah the chipmunk, and Turner the turtle, are each there for a different purpose. And Poofy is playful yet wise. She’s a bit of a rebel.

Nosefeen reminded me of the wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz, except she wasn’t as clever. Her husband is a bumbling fool and her nasty brats, Crud and Dud, aren’t much help either. Talk about a dysfunctional family.

These are just some of the characters you’ll meet on the Path of Possibilities.

How I wished I still had young ones to read this to. When I reached the end, there was this sweet, magical moment, so poignant. It made me smile, made my heart feel lighter, younger, if only for a while.

Unleash the Undead
Unleash the Undead
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun zombie snacks!, May 15, 2015
Lots of zombies in this one.

So many different contributions, from short stories, to flash fiction, to poetry.

And there are some great illustrations sprinkled throughout these stories. It made the reading even more fun.

I had some I enjoyed more than others but all in all a very solid collection.

I’m huge on the apocalyptic genre and zombies so I read this cover to cover without pausing.

I cringed. I laughed.

It may sound morbid, but the ones I liked the most had the worst endings. I know, I’m a sucker for the shockers and who expects a happy ending when the shuffling horde is out to eat ya. LOL I’d be disappointed if some of the main characters didn’t meet a grisly end, and these authors didn’t disappoint me.

Now that I’ve sampled these authors I’ll be checking to see what else they have to offer.

Anthony
Anthony
by Harold J. Fischel
Price: $9.62
23 used & new from $1.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling life fiction, May 15, 2015
This review is from: Anthony (Paperback)
Compelling. That’s the word I’m looking for. This story is compelling.

There isn’t a lot of action, no weird plots. It’s a story about a boy and the events that make him a man.

A shy, somewhat pudgy young boy, Anthony discovers swimming and as his body matures, he grows into a strapping young man.

During those years, he faces many adversities, suffers a tragic loss, and is involved in a taboo affair. The shadows of his past follow him as he goes off to college. There he makes friends, finds his path, and falls in love.

But the past catches up to him. Now he could lose everything. Perhaps love can save him.

This is another of those stories I call life fiction. From boy to man, you follow this character. Feel his insecurities and doubts. His sadness and pain. His hope.

I mentioned compelling. I opened this book, started reading, and the writing compelled me to continue. I read a chapter, then another, and another. Soon, I reached the end. It read almost like a movie. Flashing from scene to scene through the years as Anthony grew up.

A wonderful story.

The Publicist
The Publicist
by Christina George
Price: $9.99
33 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a mad world!, May 14, 2015
This review is from: The Publicist (Paperback)
Beware. You are now entering the publishing zone!

First things first. I had a bit of a rough patch with Kate and Mac. He’s married, after all. I don’t condone that behavior one bit. But there are special circumstances here. I actually found myself hoping these two would get their happy ever after. This is the first of three books so I was pretty sure it wouldn’t happen soon. And the author throws in Nick. He’s just as sexy as Mac, and single. Who knows where it will go.

What a lovely mess is the world of publishing. As a publicist, Kate has to deal with some crazy stuff. From authors faking 5 star reviews, to stage fright, to squeezing that next book out of them, she’s always stressed out. I bow to her tenacity. No matter how impossible some things seemed, she found a way, often making me laugh at her ingenuity.

I read a lot of books and have come to know many authors and some of their experiences with being published. Now I have a peek into the other side of that process. I don’t envy either. It can be cut throat and you need a tough skin and lots of patience. And sometimes, a heart.

Many characters are introduced. A few secondary ones really had an impact. And there are some I’d gladly show to the door.

The chapters are short, making it a fast read. I read this straight through in one night. I started it, got sucked in by the smooth writing and genuine characters, and kept thinking I’d read just one more chapter. It was the wee hours when I finished it and I kept looking at the second book, but I resisted and did get some sleep.

I recommend this to authors, publishers, and word lovers everywhere.

“It’s a mad mad mad mad world.”

Southern Heat
Southern Heat
by David Burnsworth
Price: $16.17
49 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The author did everything right. Great debut!, May 12, 2015
This review is from: Southern Heat (Hardcover)
Brack Pelton’s life changes in an instant after witnessing the murder of his uncle. The police suspect him and a beautiful, persistent reporter puts him in the spotlight.

Much comes to light after his uncles death. Brack inherits his uncles ramshackle bar, Pirate’s Cove, his old beach house, and some valuable undeveloped land.

I couldn’t help but compare some of this book to my neck of the woods. Pirate’s Cove sounds so much like a local bar we used to have called Judge Roy Bean’s. I spent many afternoons there, sharing good times with the other regulars. And the scenery described is such that I felt like I was home.

I just loved Brack. He never took himself seriously. Some scenes had me laughing out loud. He’d claim to know about women and be so off the mark. It seemed like every few pages something he’d do or think would have me chuckling. Gotta love him.

And his dog, Shelby. Brack loves that dog and does everything to make sure he’s safe and happy when things start getting dangerous. In the south, it’s not uncommon for people to have multiple dogs and they go where their owners go.

As Brack digs into his uncles murder, two detectives hound his every move. Brack was such a rascal. He pulled all kinds of stuff on the two poor fellas. One I actually came to like was Wilson. He had potential to become a good guy.

When the powers that be come after the land Brack inherited, goons come out of the woodwork, bullets fly, and people get hurt.

Gripping and intense, David Burnsworth has written a winner. The southern atmosphere is as thick as the humidity and the mystery and suspense make the story fly.

I was thrilled to receive a print copy of Southern Heat and was thrilled when I discovered that after removing the book flap, the actual book still displayed the same beautiful scene. Often a book is blank under the cover, but not this one.

Living in the south, I’m always drawn to stories that have a southern setting and I had a blast with this book. I must have marked so many pages with post-its so I could tell you about something that leaped out at me, though I didn’t use most so I wouldn’t spoil the mystery.

The author did everything right with this exciting mystery and I’m anxious to see what he writes next. Hopefully more about these flawed yet lovable characters.

I received this book for my honest review.

Killing Weeds (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery Book 8)
Killing Weeds (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery Book 8)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An addictive cozy series, May 8, 2015
This is the 8th book in this series and I can tell you right now, you don’t have to have read the previous books to enjoy this one, but you’ll sure want to.

The first thing I liked about the characters was Peggy Lee is close to my age. She’s a grandmother with a husband several years younger than her, but she doesn’t dye her hair, over exercise to stay firm, or hide her wrinkles. She earned them and wears them with pride.

And something that makes me have to go back to the beginning, besides loving these characters, is Shakespeare, Peggy’s Great Dane. I didn’t get to know him much in this book, but I have a feeling he played bigger roles in some of the other books in the series. I’m huge on animals as key characters in stories and I bet that big, lovable cuss had some major parts in some of these mysteries.

There’s more than one type of killing weed in this mystery. You have your flora and your fauna.

That’s something else I really enjoyed. The local police hire Peggy when they need a forensic botanist. This felt a bit like CSI, especially as Peggy’s son, Paul is married to Mia, a forensic chemist. This probably isn’t the first time these two gals teamed up to solve a riddle.

A strange coincidence or just bad luck. This book is about a killing weed, Hogweed, highly toxic and used in a murder. I was out clearing a flower bed and removed a nasty thorned vine. Forgetting to wash my hands, I rubbed my eyes and was in agony for over 2 hours. Couldn’t open my eyes, couldn’t shut them for the fiery pain. They finally cleared up after two days. Shows how deadly plants can be.

This has the usual recipe for a cozy mystery. Fun, colorful characters, a furry friend, and, or course, a murder. One that wasn’t easy to solve. I had an idea, then I didn’t, then I did.

Great fun, which I’ve come to expect from these authors. I’ve read books from a few of their other series’ and enjoyed them too.

I received this book for my honest review.

Oh Say Can You Fudge (A Candy-coated Mystery)
Oh Say Can You Fudge (A Candy-coated Mystery)
by Nancy Coco
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
39 used & new from $3.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A blast to read!, May 8, 2015
I was so excited and knew I had to read this book when I discovered it took place on Mackinac Island.

I visited there a few times and loved it. A ferry is the only access to the island and no cars are allowed. You can hire horse drawn carriages or bikes, or you can stroll and take in the loveliness. And the Marriott Grande Hotel is beautiful.

Hard to imagine a murder taking place there, but you know what they say, “I never would have believed it would happen here.”

This started out a bit slow for me in the beginning. It took me a bit to get all of the characters straight as I hadn’t read the first two books. Once I got everyone sorted out in my mind, it picked up.

I learned I’m a troll! People who live under the Mackinac Bridge (the lower peninsula of Michigan). I seem to recall that fact now.

Allie finagled her way into being in charge of the fireworks for the Star Spangled 4th celebration and everything is ready to go. And it does. It goes boom. She received an urgent call from the pyro tech warning her that the fireworks had been tampered with. When she was finally able to get to the warehouse, she discovered a dead body and barely got out before the building disintegrated.

Apparently, this isn’t the first dead body Allie’s stumbled over. I wonder if she’s contagious and next her friends will start finding dead bodies.

Allie knows the show must go on, but while scrambling to find more fireworks and a new pyro tech, plus running her hotel, the Historic McMurphy Hotel and Fudge Shop,and making the delicious fudge, she still finds time to do some snooping. She just can’t help it. She’s naturally nosy and this puts her in danger. The next dead body might be hers.

And what’s a cozy without some critters. Allie has Mal, her Bichon-poo puppy, and a stray calico cat that adopted her. I was always waiting for more scenes with these cuties.

Also there’s more than one kind of fireworks happening too. Allie’s rich, sexy boyfriend, Trent, and local police officer, Rex, who has a crush on her. It’s not a love triangle on her part, as she’s head over heels for Trent, but I thought Rex would be a better match for her. He’s bossy and stern when in cop mode, but all bashful when he’s not. Probably why he always appears in uniform when around her.

The cover art is adorable and perfect as it features her two furry friends and the main theme of the book, the fireworks. So cute and colorful.

Sprinkled at the end of about every other chapter are some yummy recipes. I’m going to try some of them. That’s a bonus, food and critters!

I always enjoy the colorful characters in cozy mysteries and there are plenty in this book. From snooty to quirky to grouchy, the author brought them to life.

I mentioned wanting to read this book because of the location. It was fun to flash back to my visits to the island. It helped me to visualize this story and relish it when I recognized something.

Great mystery too. It really was a surprise when the culprit was revealed.

I’ll be going back to read the first two books and any new ones that are released.

I received this book for my honest review.

Aoleon The Martian Girl: - Science Fiction Saga Part 5 The Great Pyramid of Cydonia
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great finale! I will miss these characters and their fantastic adventures., May 5, 2015
This is it. The fifth and final book in the Aoleon The Martian Girl Saga. I’m excited and sad at the same time.

This author built a fantastic, vibrant world with characters that charmed you and adventures that were literally out of this world.

As with the other books, the illustrations are almost 3D and so visually brilliant you feel you could step into them. You’ll wish you could.

All of the characters come together in a grand finale to stop the evil plot to invade Earth and to save martians and humans alike.

In this end to the series, all questions are answered, secrets you didn’t even know were secrets are revealed, and there are many surprises and all the action and adventure you can handle.

I’m going to miss Aoleon and Gilbert and the entire cast of unique characters and creatures.

I like to imagine the author dreamed about this world he created and it’s wonderful characters. I hope he dreams up some thrilling worlds in the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20