Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Profile for L. Kirk > Reviews

Browse

L. Kirk's Profile

Customer Reviews: 157
Helpful Votes: 19376

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L. Kirk "Crabseye" RSS Feed (Pennsylvania, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Quick Circle Case for LG G4 H815 H810 Nillkin Slim Flip Leather Cover Smart Sleep Wake Protection Shell for LG G4 5.5 " (Brown)
Offered by HongKong Capy
Price: $7.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but poor quality, December 8, 2015
Well, this one didn't even last a week. Whether it broke from two simple insertion and removals, or upon impact from a short distance fall, I don't know. Either scenario speaks to poor quality materials. My phone fell from a jacket pocket to the floor of the grocery store, and the phone popped from the case and hit the floor. I returned the phone to the case and upon arriving home shortly later, I examined the case and noticed that the corner had broken. I have other cases that can be dropped from far greater heights multiple times to far harder surfaces and not break. This Nillkin case is poor quality and I do not recommend it if you care about your phone.

Pros:
Looks good.

Inexpensive.

Circle functionality works.

Cons:
Poor quality material. Broke on the first drop from less than 3 feet height. It may even have been broken before that from simply inserting the phone into the case.

TAC Force TF-705GY Assisted Opening Tactical Folding Knife, Black Half-Serrated Blade, Grey Handle, 4-1/2-Inch Closed
Price: $8.90
25 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, solid, and great for the bugout bag!, September 21, 2015
I like to think of myself as the Queen of budget buying. This has not always been the case, but due to retirement and being on a fixed income, I get to spend lots of time finding the best thing I can for the best price that doesn't make me say ... "will this mean I don't get to eat when I'm 87?" Well fortunately, this purchase may help with that. Because while I may not have the money to eat when I'm 87, I will have this knife, and will be able to take down rabbits and groundhogs with the spear I will be able to make from it. And then eat them. But I digress.

My favorite knife was a Tekna divers knife that I had for many years and strapped it to my thigh or upper arm while ... no, not diving ... camping and hiking throughout the East coast and up into Canada. That knife was a beast. A solid hunk of stainless steel, serrated at the base, skeleton handle, and unbreakable ABS sheath with Velcro straps. Eventually I sold it to a nice guy in Hawaii who was buying it for his grandson whom he was teaching to dive. I'm sure that knife could capably rip through a sharks throat. A better use for it than just sitting around after I stopped camping and hiking as much.

I found a Colt branded folder on closeout that I really liked. But I like it so much I didn't want to use it and mess it up. So it stays in a drawer. I have a few Mora knives that are awesome, but I needed a knife that would fold, open quickly, and not be a great loss if it got taken away by zealous authorities wanting to protect society from an elderly motorcycle-riding lady with a knife.

So I got this knife. And it is great. Sharp. Pops open easily even with these mildly-arthritic hands. Locks securely. Not tiny, nor light, nor compact, that's for sure. But hey, when I reach into my pocket I can FIND it straight away, no doubts there.

Just a great value and you know what? Survivalists say to have a stock of some items to trade for necessities you might not have in case of the zombie apocalypse. What could be MORE tradeable than a cool knife like this? Pop a half-dozen of these in that bugout bag!

HEAD Titanium Ti.Fire XL Racquetball Racquet - 3 5/8 Grip, 187 gram
HEAD Titanium Ti.Fire XL Racquetball Racquet - 3 5/8 Grip, 187 gram
Offered by 3Suns
Price: $44.93
4 used & new from $43.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Light weight, and light on the quality too, March 13, 2015
I purchased this racquet a bit over a month ago on a Woot deal. Here's the scoop: it's light. It was inexpensive on the Woot deal. BUT ... on the second trip out, the plastic bumper broke. Now, I'm pretty old and feeble and incapable of really smashing a racquet into the wall with shattering force. This racquet is selling at retail currently for 80 bux. The plastic bumper should not be breaking that easily. There are materials out there ... cheap, strong, and flexible enough not to break. Someone needs to tell Head about them. Anyway, Head declined the opportunity to fix or replace the racquet or bumper as they consider it an "accessory." I consider it "a broken piece of crap that ended my relatioship with this manufacturer who refuses to stand behind their crappy racquet." You can do better for the money.

Small /Neiko High Visibility Neon Yellow Zipper Front Safety Vest with 2 Side Pockets, ASIN/ISEA Standard
Offered by California Tools LLC
Price: $8.35
3 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Workmanship issues, December 14, 2014
Fits well, and provides good visibility from both the neon yellow fabric and the generous reflective stripes. My product suffered a quality issue when the shoulder seam separated after just a few hours of wear. I was able to stitch it back together, but even a low cost item should not be plain shoddily made.

The Friendly Swede Dual Pocket Running Belts (2 Pack), Purple, Pink
The Friendly Swede Dual Pocket Running Belts (2 Pack), Purple, Pink
Offered by The Friendly Swede
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value!, September 26, 2014
I received these belts yesterday and couldn't wait to use one. I've just been letting stuff flop and bounce in my pockets and that had not yet resulted in any disasters or losses, but promised great potential in that area. I looked at a more expensive (2x the price for a single belt) alternative that promised to be the best running belt. Well I love "the best" but I also love a good value, and the Friendly Swede here provides that for sure. Here are pros and cons:

PROS:

Sturdy, secure buckle. This is the same rugged plastic locking clasp you often find on camera bags, backpack waist belts, etc. Squeeze to insert and snaps in, squeeze to release. Very secure.

VALUE! Two belts for one low price (which seems to vary from time to time). They may not be as fancy as some of the other products, but they are good quality and very reasonably priced. I love good value for a good price.

Nifty stripe. If you want a true stealth look, I guess your option is the blue/black pair. All the other color options provide a stripe along the stretchy part of the belt (the pocket portion). The belt strap is not striped.

Roomy pockets. Two pockets stretch to accommodate up to a Google Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 class phone. My Nexus 5 has a slim TPU case on it and it fits, but it takes an extra moment to get it in there right and stretch the pocket fabric around to zip. I typically put ID and key in the other pocket. I could squeeze a gel in that second pocket too, but I can leave that in the shorts pocket ... too light to worry about it bouncing out.

Water resistance. The pockets seem to be made of a stretchy Lycra type fabric, but the inside is coated with a rubbery water resistant material. I'm not going to put my phone in the pocket and submerge it, but it was fine during the misty precip that was happening yesterday during my run.

CONS:

The only Con I can find is that when I ordered, I had to choose purple/pink because I didn't want orange/green and the blue/black option did not even show up on the page as an option. A bit annoying. I would have waited for blue/black inventory to be replenished had I known they existed. I know. But I like blue. It's my favorite color.

Here's another Con. I probably can't get a bigger phone since I'm pretty sure it won't fit in the pocket. Not that I need a new phone.

There really are no Cons that I have been able to find. This is just a good product for a good price. And double the love for one low price.

Proctor Silex E160BY Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder, White
Proctor Silex E160BY Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder, White
Price: $13.99
78 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An all around winner for grinding, September 15, 2014
I've been using the E160BY grinder to grind flax seeds for several weeks now. This grinder does a great job and makes a nice, consistently ground seed powder (nuthin but powder, baby!).

Here are some product features I have scored as hits and misses:

PROS

Cord retracts into base. I LOVE this feature. I want the product designers to get a Nobel Prize for smart product design here. Who cares about poetry or some annoying arcane discovery in Physics? Physics is totally made up bs anyway. This affects my life in a positive way every day! Just grasp the base with one hand, the top with the other, and turn in the correct direction. Soon you have a base with just the plug sticking out.

Effective grinder. Works very well to grind material into a fine powder. Consistent performance. I do typically give it a shake and regrind for a few seconds to get any seeds or material that did not get ground during the first pass.

Reasonable size. It's not so tiny that you fear the motor is crappy and is going to die in 6 months. But it's small enough to fit into almost anyone's cupboard easily. About the same footprint as a coffee mug, with about an extra half-mug height without the dome cover (which for me is usually in the dish drying rack).

Easy operation. Place the dome cover on the base and press the tab to actuate the grinder. I didn't even have to look at the instructions to figure that out. I love products that are just smart designs.

Inexpensive. This is a very effective, well designed product and inexpensive too. Crap. What are they thinking?

CONS

Blade does not seem to be removable. I did not see an instruction for removing it, and pulling up with some force it does not seem to want to come out. If anyone posts a remark about how to remove the blade, I'll update the review. I'd like to get that thing out for a nice hot soapy wash once in a while.

SUMMARY

Great grinder. Effective grinder. Consistent performance. Inexpensive. Reasonable size. Retractable power cord. One con: blade does not appear to be removable for thorough cleaning. Otherwise, this is a great product and I recommend it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2015 11:05 AM PDT

Merrell Women's Ascend Glove Trail-Running Shoe,Black,6 M US
Merrell Women's Ascend Glove Trail-Running Shoe,Black,6 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars Runs (haha) a bit large, comfortable, PROS and CONS, September 15, 2014
I'll tell you right off the bat I'm not a vastly experienced runner. I'm just starting out. So as a starting runner, here are some of the things I have noticed about these shoes.

PROS

Super lightweight. Like you're 'not wearing nothing' to quote an old commercial.

They do fit like a glove. Good product name.

Airy. Lots of air circulation to keep those dogs cool.

I caught a great price one day ... under forty bux. That made the shoes an incredible deal.

CONS

Pretty ugly: I got the "Black" ones (usually the default view). There just isn't any way to pretty these things up. Wear black socks, though. They look much worse with white socks peeking over the tops. (I think I'm just not a black athletic shoe person.)

Not much protection. I understand the minimalist material design. But the well-groomed trail I run on has a few larger rocks, and last time I was out there I very nearly turned my ankle since there just isn't much shoe to absorb larger obstacles. That hasn't happened with my Brooks Adrenalines the many times I've been on the trail with them.

No removable sock liner. Seems odd for a not inexpensive shoe.

NEITHER PRO NOR CON

These shoes do run large. I am a very solid 6.5 size, and the 6 in this shoe is perfect with thin socks.

I've used Merrill hiking boots for nearly 30 years and it is that experience that led me to try these Ascend Glove Trail-Running shoes. My recommendation is that if you are on a very rough trail, you may have some issues with these shoes ... I found a tendency for some instability with larger rocks beneath my feet. Well groomed trails are not presenting a problem. They are light, airy, and comfortable. And pretty ugly, but hey, we don't all get to be pretty in this life. If you skipped over all the other words in the review, note that the fit runs large.

Goddess Garden Sunny Body Natural Sunscreen Trigger SPF 30 Spray, 8.0 Ounce
Goddess Garden Sunny Body Natural Sunscreen Trigger SPF 30 Spray, 8.0 Ounce
Price: $18.14
41 used & new from $13.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Yuck. Just. Yuck., June 28, 2014
I bought this product locally from Wegmans. It was the only natural/organic one i could find in the store, and I had painfully discovered that my existing sunscreens were too old to work.

I'm just going to say it. I dislike this product. It's not that frequent that I dislike something so strongly.

But let me first say, there is one PRO to the product: it does work. It is an effective sunscreen. It's viscous as most lotions are, so give it a good minute of shaking to disperse the ingredients before applying. Not just a shake or two ... a minute.

The things I did NOT like: Very expensive. Let me say that even as someone who is highly motivated to buy organic products, it was very difficult to spend this much on darn sunscreen. Now, I wish I had just bought some Coppertone or summat (to quote Ron). The other thing, and this is the *worst* for me. I can't get the crap off! I apply it before bicycling, ride for 2 hours while perspiring pretty steadily, go home, shower, and scrub first with washcloth and soap, then a followup with plain liquid soap. And when I dry off, my skin is still gummy from this lotion. I've tried following up after all that cleansing with alcohol gel. That still doesn't remove it. A friend suggested trying to apply some oil to remove it. But then I'd need another shower!

Only way I've found so far is to put cornstarch on to make my skin feel smooth again.

Really, really dislike this product. And it kills me to stop using it, because it was so doggone expensive.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2014 2:59 PM PDT

25 Pack - 4 Bullseye - Reactive Splatter Targets - Adhesive Multicolor Version- GlowShot - Gun and Rifle Targets
Offered by anewcommunications
Price: $11.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in performance, June 19, 2014
I purchased these targets a few months ago and finally made it to the range last weekend. Sigh. I wish I had bought a smaller package of them. These targets were a major disappointment for me.

Compared to the Dirty Bird (Birchwood Casey) splatter targets that I used previously, these targets underperformed. Here are my observations:

PROS:

Value price. With 4 targets per "page" and with coverup dots, you get a lot of mileage out of a single target.

CONS:

They're not very good, so you really PREFER not to get a lot of mileage out of a single target. Primarily, what's not good is that the stock on which the targets are printed is too glossy. Might work outdoor in indirect light. Indoors at the range, the overhead lights make too much glare on the glossy stock. VERY hard to see the X ring.

The coverup dots are a good idea, but I found that with .22 LR and .38 spec., both calibers dislodged the coverup dots making them basically ineffective. Need a stronger adhesive.

Summary: These targets suffer from poor implementation of several great ideas. The great ideas are reactive ink, multiple targets per page, and coverup dots. The poor implementation is that they are printed on stock that is TOO GLOSSY, and the coverup dots get dislodged by subsequent shots.

Both deficiencies can be improved, which would make this a 5-star product.

Red Devil 4712 2-Inch Plastic Putty Knife
Red Devil 4712 2-Inch Plastic Putty Knife
Offered by Gatzies
Price: $6.58
8 used & new from $0.89

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, June 19, 2014
I purchased 5 of these putty knives for a stripping project on some painted balusters in my house. I needed plastic to insure I would not gouge the wood. I had run through my original yellow one (which I love, and miss, and think of every day), and several blue ones that performed ok, but did not last long.

Here is what I observed with these Red Devil putty knives:

PROS:

When I purchased them they were low cost. About a buck each as I recall, maybe a bit less.

Work as a putty knife. But don't think of using them for scraping or stripping.

CONS:

Not durable. The plastic is just too soft. Any use for scraping/stripping causes rapid distortion of the "blade" edge.

Edge is blunt. Poor for scraping/stripping purposes.

Bottom line: I don't know why one would need a plastic tool if the purpose is only applying putty or spackle. Nice metal blade will do just fine there. Where you need plastic is when you don't want to harm a finish, such as for scraping or stripping. And in that capacity, these knives for me were a giant fail. I just stopped using them after I went through 2 in rapid succession, with poor results.

Not recommended.