Profile for Mike W. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike W. "ANY DIEM" RSS Feed (OH United States)

Sony BDV-E770W Blu-ray Player Home Entertainment System [3D Compatible] (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
4 used & new from $249.99

4.0 out of 5 stars any upgrade available for iPod interface?, May 28, 2011
I purchased this from Best Buy (was able to get it cheaper than here...) and overall think this will be a good unit. The setup was okay but the quick start sheet that was in the box never tells you to put the quick start disc into the unit. Besides that glitch my only complaint about the features so far is that the iPod interface is non-existent. The Apple USB cord will plug into the front of the unit and your Sony remote will control the function of the iPod. But that's it. There is no display feature through your television so you have no way of navigating the iPod menus without looking at the iPod itself.

Is there a system upgrade that has actual display support for iPod? It's weird that my friend's Kia car stereo works better with my iPod than my Sony receiver.

Archer: Season 1
Archer: Season 1
DVD ~ H. Jon Benjamin
Price: $6.99
19 used & new from $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STARS FOR SERIES, ONE STAR FOR DVD!! (ads lied!!), April 1, 2011
This review is from: Archer: Season 1 (DVD)
I am a HUGE fan of the Archer series. If you like whacked out, dark comedy animation then you have found the right place to be. Other reviewers have described Archer as a cross between James Bond and the TV show Arrested Development. If you've seen a few episodes and want to see them all, I would RECOMMEND YOU BUY THIS DVD to watch the whole series. The DVD extras are "meh", and my diatribe below should not dissuade you from purchasing this DVD. Extra shout out to FX for taking care of my boy Louis CK by throwing his pilot onto the empty space of the DVD. I've seen Louis' stand up act three times and his current series finally captures what his material is and puts it into TV format.

IF YOU'VE SEEN ALL THE EPISODES, DON'T BUY THIS DVD: I watched this series when it first started and have pretty much seen them all in order. I consider myself a fan of the show and wanted to support Adam Reed by purchasing a copy of this DVD. The main reason I bought it (besides the ability to share it with friends who missed the first season) was to view an "unaired pilot" that was described in the TV ad for the DVD. There is a sticker on the DVD box that says "Includes never-before-seen episode." I hate to call BS on advertising, but this really was a bait-and-switch as another reviewer mentioned.

[SPOILER ALERT] If this unaired pilot seemed like a reason to buy this DVD> DON'T. If you were hoping for some perverted killfest like the TV commercial hinted at (too hot for TV!), you will be hugely disappointed as I was. Somebody thought it would be hilarious to take the first episode MOLE HUNT and just substitute Archer's image and voice with an image of a dinosaur and screechy howls for the dialogue. If they had done this without mentioning it in the advertising it might have been funny. I got about 20 seconds into it and was waiting for the cut to a live shot of somebody from FX or the production staff saying ha ha April Fool. Nope. It kept going.... for the whole episode (as far as I know). I fast forwarded it through half the episode, kept seeing the dino, and pressed STOP.

So here is my question to you, FX and Adam Reed: is this really what you intended? Or did someone in marketing not get the memo that the "unaired pilot" was a gag and should not be mentioned in a television commercial? W.T.F. Seriously.

SHAMEFUL. (PS: I'm posting this on 4/1, but this is not an April Fool review.)
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2012 7:40 AM PDT