Profile for A. Thomas > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 80

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Thomas RSS Feed (Washington DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike
Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike
Price: $549.00
2 used & new from $549.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice recumbent bike!, February 8, 2015
I bought this as a gift for my wife (shush ladies, she INSISTED on having it), and it has exceeded both of our expectations! It is very well-built, easy to assemble, and the features are pretty much the best you can ask for at this price point. It is whisper-quiet without any clunks or wobbles in the mechanism. One nice thing about this bike that I didn't consider when I purchased it is that it has the 9/16" pedal threads (a lot of these bikes have 1/2" on a 1-piece crank) which allowed me to install Shimano SPD pedals on it. The adjustability on this thing is fantastic - I'm 6'6", and can ride it comfortably with room to spare - albeit not much - and with the seat fully forward, a small child could ride it. The only downfalls I can think of are that the seat is a little slippery, so you have to carefully consider what you are going to wear before you start riding. The speakers on this thing aren't very good either. Great concept, but they are cheap and sound flat. But hey, that's what headphones are for, right?

Jagwire Road Elite Sealed Bicycle Shift Cable Housing Kit (Black)
Jagwire Road Elite Sealed Bicycle Shift Cable Housing Kit (Black)
Offered by Niagara Cycle Works
Price: $36.17
20 used & new from $36.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb shift cable kit, February 8, 2015
Jagwire makes great cable sets, and this sealed kit is no exception. These are silky smooth, lightweight, and super-responsive. My only complaint is that when clamping the wire to the derailleur, the ends tend to fray more readilly - and are more difficult to twist back into shape - than what I'm used to. The dark polymer coating also flakes off when the wire is stressed, which is noticeable when using a third hand tool. Functionally, this is inconsequential (unless you try to reuse the inner wire), but looks pretty rough if you're not careful. I also love that all the seals, caps, ferrules, etc.included are high quality, and look sharp!

Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Socks, Black, X-Large
Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Socks, Black, X-Large
Price: $9.00
7 used & new from $8.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these socks, February 8, 2015
Love these socks! They actually fit properly, breathe VERY well, and don't bunch up like some cheaper socks can. They are also quite durable - I've gotten through a couple seasons with no holes/distress. Note the clever "on your left" comment stitched into the appropriate sock to ensure you get 'em on the correct foot. :-D

Park Tool PH-1 P-Handled Hex Wrench Set
Park Tool PH-1 P-Handled Hex Wrench Set
Offered by Sarah’s pro sports shop
Price: Click here to see our price
27 used & new from $60.26

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for the serious mechanic. Top quality with ..., February 8, 2015
A must-have for the serious mechanic. Top quality with indispensable features. The Bondhus metals will last the average user a lifetime.

SRAM X9 Type-2 10 Speed Rear Derailleur (Medium Cage, Grey)
SRAM X9 Type-2 10 Speed Rear Derailleur (Medium Cage, Grey)
Offered by Juvolicious
Price: $137.35
5 used & new from $89.98

4.0 out of 5 stars and couldn't be happier. I love the cage lock feature as well, February 8, 2015
Solid derailleur with a clutch! Shifts smoothly, and eliminates chain slap substantially. Still has the famous SRAM "clack" when upshifting. I paired this with the X9 shifter, and couldn't be happier. I love the cage lock feature as well. It makes tire changes/rear wheel maintenance a breeze.

DPAccessories D3116-HT-2305/20 20 Premium Chrome Closed Bulge Acorn Wheel/Lug Nuts (12x1.5) 1.4" Tall, 3/4" Hex
Offered by DP-accessories
Price: $20.00
3 used & new from $16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lug nuts - know what you're buying!, November 30, 2014
These are exceptional lug nuts, at an unbelievable price. It seems the majority of people's complaints have been that they don't fit *their* specific vehicle. The simple solution to this is to contact the manufacturer to get the correct sizing, then contact the seller prior to purchasing to ensure you are getting the right product.

Things to ask/research before you buy:

1. The size of your wheel bolts - In this example, a 12 x 1.5 is a 12mm diameter bolt with a 1.5mm thread pitch.
2. The length of your wheel bolts - If they are long (how far do they protrude from the wheel?), a closed-cap may "bottom out" before you can tighten them all the way down. This won't be a problem if you have said information up front.
3. Seat type - Acorns are some of the most common, but will not work with most OEM mag-type rims. For mag wheels, you will want a shank-style seat (AKA "mag-seat"), which use flat washers. Other less common seats include ball (radius) seats and step-shanks.
4. Hex sizing - this becomes critical if the only wrench you have is the single-sized OEM kind. Purchasing a 4-way wrench will solve the immediate problem, but if you're working with mag rims, you'll want to make sure the wrench head isn't too fat to fit in the holes!
5. SAE vs Metric - There are some equivalents, but being off by just a hair can cause rounding of the hex corners. Aside from the obvious problem this causes with being able to put on/take off the lugs, it can also lead to unsightly rust.

The rule used to be "never replace OEM lug nuts with aftermarket lugs." With the precision apparent in these products, I can confidently say these are in fact superior to the OEM parts on my vehicle, and the afore-mentioned rule no longer applies.

----EDIT----

After a couple months of use, I have noticed some minor superficial oxidation (rust) spots on a couple of these lug nuts. I had to drop my rating one star, as this is the reason I bought "superior" replacement for the OEM product.

White-Rodgers M30 White Heat-Only Thermostat
White-Rodgers M30 White Heat-Only Thermostat
Price: $16.30
18 used & new from $12.83

2.0 out of 5 stars Skip this, and upgrade to digital, November 14, 2014
OK, this product does what it is supposed to: turn on/off a heater. However, it is not very user-friendly, and has some fatal flaws. My biggest complaint is that when it gets cold, the spring inside contracts to the point where the lever on the top is pulled backwards, making it difficult to set the temperature initially. You literally have to hold the control to the right until it warms up enough for the spring to relax. My second gripe is that the faceplate snaps on to small plastic anchors that are brittle, and break off easily when bumped (which seems to be every trip). So I tapped into my super glue fund, and I upgraded to a simple digital thermostat: http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Only-Digital-Non-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B002SR9PHM

Problem solved!

Zoom Bait 6-Inch Lizard Bait-Pack of 9 (Green Pumpkin Green)
Zoom Bait 6-Inch Lizard Bait-Pack of 9 (Green Pumpkin Green)
Price: $7.95
2 used & new from $6.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 14, 2014
One of the best fresh water lures I have ever used in my 40+ years of fishing. Ideal for bass and pan fish angling in freshwater lakes and brackish estuaries. These critters really bring in the lunkers, and are extremely durable for multiple casts. Always keep a couple of bagfuls in my tackle box!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2015 12:54 PM PDT

Fiskars X25 Splitting Axe, 28-Inch
Fiskars X25 Splitting Axe, 28-Inch
Price: $44.97
38 used & new from $42.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent splitter!, December 2, 2013
I bought this on a whim when the "split and seasoned" firewood I ordered showed up in chunks that were unusably-large in a traditional fireplace. I read some positive reviews, and for the price, I simply couldn't pass it up. My initial impression of the axe was that there is no way this is going to help my cause -- at least not for long. The handle felt like cheap plastic, and the head seemed way too susceptible to damage. So, I took it out back, found some medium logs, and started swinging...

Unbelievable! This thing passed through the first red oak log like a razor through paper, and continued to slice effortlessly until I had a giant pile of hardwood at my feet.

I had a couple of serious mis-hits that sent shock waves through my hands, and up my arms. Nary a scratch on the handle. I was honestly flabbergasted that this thing didn't shatter into a million pieces after some of the blows it took.

After a couple of hour-long sessions with it, I re-sharpened it with the laughably-flimsy (yet surprisingly effective) -- Fiskars sharpener. I was literally able to shave hairs off my arm with it afterwards.

The balance is good, the materials are sturdy, and I feel confident that the head is staying in place no matter how hard I am swinging. Couple these qualities with the price, and this thing deserves all five stars I enthusiastically award it.

Fiskars Axe and Knife Sharpener
Fiskars Axe and Knife Sharpener
Price: $9.79
27 used & new from $7.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife sharpener - good +, June 23, 2013
The best way to set a buyer's' expectations is (IMHO) is to address the sales pitch the product carries. Therefore, I'm going to tailor my review accordingly.

Here's what the item description claims:

>>Knife and axe sharpener sharpens at exact 30-degree angle<<

This is true - assuming the user doesn't force it laterally (which is entirely possible) to change said angle. Follow the instructions, and we should all be good on this one.

>>Patented ceramic wheel for effective sharpening<<

Patent, schmatent. It's the same darned sharpening device available from any reputable manufacturer. I've seen better / I've seen worse.

>>Built-in hand guard<<

Uh-huh. This so-called "hand guard" is that little plastic lip you see in the photo about 75% of the way from the non-business end of the device.

>>Non-slip feet for additional safety<<

Yeah right. Maybe for small steak knives. Try running a splitting maul through this thing, and see how well those non-slip feet work.

>>Lifetime warranty<<

Common ambiguity. This refers, of course, to the lifetime of the *product*, not the user. Probably common sense, but worth noting.

The bottom line:

This actually does sharpen both knives and heavier equipment. I've done a full set of steak knives, a butcher's block full of blades, and a couple of hatchets and axes. Does it work? Yes. BUT...

1. This item is very lightweight. You may find this to be a bonus, but it literally flexes as you pull your blades through it. The body is hollow (which isn't shown in the photos), so those "non-slip" feet they mention are pretty much inconsequential.

2. Other reviewers have noted this, and it's kind of important: Dragging a blade through this device will actually start carving through the plastic base below the angled stones. As long as the spindle that holds the wheels holds up, this shouldn't be a big deal (until you pull a large axe through it, and the whole thing snaps in two). So far, I've had the fortune of it withstanding some admittedly-impatient (ab)use. :)

3. It's a nine dollar item. If you have high hopes for this being the ultimate sharpening device for all your household and yard maintenance tools, rethink the likelihood of that being the case.

I've had great luck with this item so far, but I think a more realistic expectation of its efficacy and product build should be expressed. I hope this helps in doing so!

P.S. Note that I gave it a 4/5 rating!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8