Profile for A. Thomas > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 75

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Thomas RSS Feed (Washington DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Zoom Bait 6-Inch Lizard Bait-Pack of 9 (Green Pumpkin Green)
Zoom Bait 6-Inch Lizard Bait-Pack of 9 (Green Pumpkin Green)
Price: $7.16
3 used & new from $4.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 14, 2014
One of the best fresh water lures I have ever used in my 40+ years of fishing. Ideal for bass and pan fish angling in freshwater lakes and brackish estuaries. These critters really bring in the lunkers, and are extremely durable for multiple casts. Always keep a couple of bagfuls in my tackle box!

Fiskars 7854 X25 28-Inch Splitting Axe
Fiskars 7854 X25 28-Inch Splitting Axe
Price: $39.97
15 used & new from $39.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent splitter!, December 2, 2013
I bought this on a whim when the "split and seasoned" firewood I ordered showed up in chunks that were unusably-large in a traditional fireplace. I read some positive reviews, and for the price, I simply couldn't pass it up. My initial impression of the axe was that there is no way this is going to help my cause -- at least not for long. The handle felt like cheap plastic, and the head seemed way too susceptible to damage. So, I took it out back, found some medium logs, and started swinging...

Unbelievable! This thing passed through the first red oak log like a razor through paper, and continued to slice effortlessly until I had a giant pile of hardwood at my feet.

I had a couple of serious mis-hits that sent shock waves through my hands, and up my arms. Nary a scratch on the handle. I was honestly flabbergasted that this thing didn't shatter into a million pieces after some of the blows it took.

After a couple of hour-long sessions with it, I re-sharpened it with the laughably-flimsy (yet surprisingly effective) -- Fiskars sharpener. I was literally able to shave hairs off my arm with it afterwards.

The balance is good, the materials are sturdy, and I feel confident that the head is staying in place no matter how hard I am swinging. Couple these qualities with the price, and this thing deserves all five stars I enthusiastically award it.

Fiskars 78616984J Axe and Knife Sharpener
Fiskars 78616984J Axe and Knife Sharpener
Price: $9.97
26 used & new from $3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife sharpener - good +, June 23, 2013
The best way to set a buyer's' expectations is (IMHO) is to address the sales pitch the product carries. Therefore, I'm going to tailor my review accordingly.

Here's what the item description claims:

>>Knife and axe sharpener sharpens at exact 30-degree angle<<

This is true - assuming the user doesn't force it laterally (which is entirely possible) to change said angle. Follow the instructions, and we should all be good on this one.

>>Patented ceramic wheel for effective sharpening<<

Patent, schmatent. It's the same darned sharpening device available from any reputable manufacturer. I've seen better / I've seen worse.

>>Built-in hand guard<<

Uh-huh. This so-called "hand guard" is that little plastic lip you see in the photo about 75% of the way from the non-business end of the device.

>>Non-slip feet for additional safety<<

Yeah right. Maybe for small steak knives. Try running a splitting maul through this thing, and see how well those non-slip feet work.

>>Lifetime warranty<<

Common ambiguity. This refers, of course, to the lifetime of the *product*, not the user. Probably common sense, but worth noting.

The bottom line:

This actually does sharpen both knives and heavier equipment. I've done a full set of steak knives, a butcher's block full of blades, and a couple of hatchets and axes. Does it work? Yes. BUT...

1. This item is very lightweight. You may find this to be a bonus, but it literally flexes as you pull your blades through it. The body is hollow (which isn't shown in the photos), so those "non-slip" feet they mention are pretty much inconsequential.

2. Other reviewers have noted this, and it's kind of important: Dragging a blade through this device will actually start carving through the plastic base below the angled stones. As long as the spindle that holds the wheels holds up, this shouldn't be a big deal (until you pull a large axe through it, and the whole thing snaps in two). So far, I've had the fortune of it withstanding some admittedly-impatient (ab)use. :)

3. It's a nine dollar item. If you have high hopes for this being the ultimate sharpening device for all your household and yard maintenance tools, rethink the likelihood of that being the case.

I've had great luck with this item so far, but I think a more realistic expectation of its efficacy and product build should be expressed. I hope this helps in doing so!

P.S. Note that I gave it a 4/5 rating!

Nissan or Universal Fender Push Type Retainers Clips (Hole Size 8MM, Head Diameter 20MM, Stem Length 9MM) - Replace # 01553-09321 - Package of 12
Offered by Micasa Trading Limited
Price: $4.77
7 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nissan/Infiniti clips, April 17, 2013
These are exact replacement retainer clips for many Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. I used these under the hood of my M45, and they are identical to the OEM product.

Blackburn Camber CF Carbon Fiber Bottle Cage (Gloss Black)
Blackburn Camber CF Carbon Fiber Bottle Cage (Gloss Black)
Offered by Gotta Ride Bikes
Price: $41.39
19 used & new from $34.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cage!, April 17, 2013
I love these cages. They are super-lightweight, yet sufficiently effective at doing their job: holding your water bottle in place while you shred the pavement. The bonus points are for style -- they look great (carbon fiber with a gloss coating) and the design is ergonomic whilst retaining an aesthetic appeal. Are there cheaper alternatives? Yes. But if weight and/or style is important to you, this becomes an obvious choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2012 SRAM Red Rear Derailleur, October 5, 2012
Just upgraded from Apex to Red, and MAN, what a difference! The Apex was OK, but was sluggish, and skipped gears when you were really mashing on the pedals. Not only is the spring design awesome for smoothness, it also makes it super easy to work on. The precision of adjustability (on the stand, or on the road) is second to none.

This is probably obvious to most, but is worth pointing out: While compatible with Shimano cassettes, it is not recommended that you use this with Shimano shifters. There have been plenty of independent tests done where mechanics "make" them work together, but unlike brakes, there is a specific amount of cable pull/release for each indexed upshift/downshift that can vary from slight to drastic. SRAM also uses "double tap", which means you push the shift lever -- which is independent from the brake lever -- inwardly in a "short and quick" fashion to drop a gear, and "slow and long" to bump up one or more gears.

All in all, I really love the feeling of this derailleur. I have ridden Campy, Dura Ace, Ultegra, you name it, and this is hands down my favorite setup!

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent inflator, October 5, 2012
The Portland Design Works "Shiny Object" CO2 Inflator is a must-have for all types of cyclists! I use mine with standard 16gr threaded CO2 cartridges to inflate 700cX23 road bike tires up to 120PSI, as well as my 26"X1.5 MTB street tires (70PSI). This thing is solid as a rock, light in your pack, and will get you up and running with the simple twist of a knob. Beats cranking away on a floor pump by a long shot, and makes using a frame pump seem nothing shy of barbaric.

JVC HAFX67B Air Cushion Headphone (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
JVC HAFX67B Air Cushion Headphone (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars JVC air cushion ear buds, June 3, 2012
OK, lots of 5-star reviews on this product, so I'll get right to it...

I concur with the majority of the positive points. These are VERY comfortable, sound great, and the price is spot-on. I use earbuds when I commute to work, travel, and often times listen to relaxation soundscapes when I am trying to sleep in an unfamiliar place. These are the perfect earbuds for the all of the above. My only gripe - and this is a minor one - is that the plastic casing that covers the plug has come off repeatedly. I have super-glued it back in place, but it just keeps popping off. One of the strain relief shields (the wire reinforcement at the body of the earbuds) keeps sliding off too. Oh well, what do you expect from a "made in China" product?

Would I use these for critical listening? Probably not, but for "regular" iPod/.MP3/laptop listening, they're my go-to earbuds 99% of the time.

Bottom line: In a world of disposable products, this is one that you will probably hang on to for more than just a couple months. Are they without flaws? Nope, but I'm willing to bet you'll enjoy them a little more than their contemporaries while you have them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocketballz Rescue, May 28, 2012
This thing is ridiculous. The technology in the RBZ clubs is encroaching on the neighborhood of cheating. I gotta admit, I like the Burner 2.0 rescue a little more for reliability, but once I get dialed in on this one, it really lives up to its name. I'm not crazy about the "motocross" graphics -- they make the clubs look cheap; but I can assure you there is nothing "cheap" about them.

Anyway, you can really feel the difference the lowered CG makes; when all of the elements of your swing come together, you'll want to put your fairway woods in storage. OK, maybe not, but if you can hit 180 out of the pine cones, why not use iron control with 5W distance on the short grass? Give this one a try; I think you'll like it!

Club Glove 3-Pack Regular Neoprene Iron Cover - GW, LW,Blank (Black)
Club Glove 3-Pack Regular Neoprene Iron Cover - GW, LW,Blank (Black)
Price: $17.66
3 used & new from $11.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Club Glove "Gloveskin" iron covers, May 20, 2012
Good, sturdy, practical club covers. I always wondered why people paid money for these, until I bought a "real" set of irons, and found out the hard way what bouncing around in a golf cart can do to a club. The labels are clear, so you always know what you're grabbing without having to look for the number stamp on the sole of your iron. I'm glad I purchased these -- I just wished I had done it sooner.

These are a must-have if you are shipping your clubs, or taking them with you on a plane!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8