Profile for James > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Ballistic SG0874-M005 SG Case with Three Layers of Protection for HTC One X - 1 Pack - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by Megix

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes It Look Like A Tank, July 10, 2012
I'm not sure what the makers were talking about with the integrated screen protector. There's definitely not a traditional screen protector in there. Maybe they were talking about how the case's edges keep the screen from touching surfaces when placed face down.

Truthfully, however, I didn't even notice that the case said it was coming with a screen protector. When I buy a case, I expect a case, not a screen protector. And as a case, this thing is pretty cool. It looks like what I would imagine a tank to look like in phone form. It feels sturdy, and I really like the feeling of the back of the case. Not slippery, not metallic, not sticky. Smooth but with some texture still.

The case also makes the unlock button a lot more tactile. I found the One X's unlock/power button to be the one annoying thing about the hardware. It was too recessed for me to know if I was pressing it or not, so this case was really nice in changing that.

I'm docking one star though because the edges of the case are sticky rubber, and it attracts dust pretty easily. It's more of a half star deduction for me, not really a big deal.

Oh by the way, I have the AT&T version, and the case fits perfectly.

HTC One X 4G Android Phone, Gray (AT&T)
HTC One X 4G Android Phone, Gray (AT&T)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Phone With Some Issues, July 10, 2012
I'll preface this review by saying that I'm not a multimedia buff at all, so I can't speak for the quality of the camera or music quality. Both are good enough for me.

What I was a lot more concerned with is the speed and battery life of the phone. This is an extremely snappy phone. The international version has a quad core Tegra processor while the AT&T one has a dual core Snapdragon one, if those names mean anything to you. However, according to most of what's been reported, the Snapdragon is actually faster than the Tegra despite having two less cores because the software is more optimized for two cores rather than quad four. Also, the Snapdragon is a bit more power efficient and allows the phone to have a much better LTE implementation. There's a bunch of tech details supporting that, but most of it went in one eye and out the other. Whatever the reasons, the HTC One X for AT&T is very fast. And on LTE, if you're lucky enough to live in a place with LTE coverage, the One X is blazingly fast with download speeds greater than 20 MB/s.

Just a sidenote, what AT&T calls 4G is actually HSPA+, which is only marginally faster than 3G. What the rest of the world calls 4G AT&T calls 4G LTE. A bit confusing, but even on HSPA+, I get download speeds of around 4 MB/s, which is still respectable.

In terms of battery life, my phone is pretty good, but I definitely can't get it last for longer than a day. Mine lasts a full 9-hour work day with moderate use, but it needs to be charged afterwards. By moderate use I mean HSPA, email, web browsing, music, and some gaming. I haven't turned down the brightness of the screen or fiddled with the sync settings though, so I could probably extend it a bit if I did. I haven't been able to test battery life on LTE yet, but battery life will definitely be a bit worse with it. I'll update my review if/when I get a chance to use LTE for an extended time.

I'm actually going to go a bit off-topic here to talk about battery care in general so skip to the next paragraph if you just want to know about the phone. I've heard a lot of people talking about letting your battery run all the way down before charging it in order to extend your battery's life time. I'm not a battery expert, but from what I understand, doing this every time is commonly held to be useless and probably harmful for current battery technology. It was recommended back when NiCd batteries were commonly used, but now we use NiMH batteries. NiMH batteries have a set number of charge cycles; you won't increase or decrease significantly this through your charging habits. It might help to fully discharge the phone to once a month, but the benefit should be negligible if you only have the phone for a couple of years.

Storage however is a bigger problem. I don't know why AT&T limited us to the 16 GB (~12 useable) version AND opted out of the free 25 GB dropbox deal the rest of the world gets. They probably didn't want us using too much of their network by constantly downloading and uploading, but it's pretty annoying. Maybe if enough of us complain they'll change they're stance, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

The multitasking is pretty annoying too. For those of you who haven't read the thousands of angry internet posts about it, the HTC One X closes an app around 10 seconds after you relegate it into the background. It still remembers what you were doing; it just needs to reload. So, for example that means you stay on the same webpage but it reloads, and it doesn't noticeably affect things like music or movies. HTC is standing firm maintaining that this is a power-saving feature rather than a bug, so I'm not sure if they're changing it soon.

However, like the issue with the locked boot loader, I'm sure some people on the interwebs will think of ways to fix the multitasking. That's the beauty of the Android platform. If you look around, maybe there's even something already out there to help.

Frenchi Home Furnishing Twist Style Cherry Finish Wood Coat Rack Stand
Frenchi Home Furnishing Twist Style Cherry Finish Wood Coat Rack Stand
Offered by Home Fashion Products
Price: $22.50
10 used & new from $10.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Put Too Much On It, April 1, 2012
I really liked this coat rack. It's got a really nice finish, and it's a pretty good height. I'm around 5'9", and putting a coat on any of the pegs seems really natural. I've put hats, scarves, track jackets, shirts, belts, and winter coats on them. They all stay on the pegs pretty well. However, with a large overcoat, the stand can be a bit unstable, and bumping into it can tip it over. Unfortunately, in the process of testing the stability, I actually broke the stand. I put two coats on each peg, and the bottom of the stand just splintered at the junction between the trunk and the legs. A bit disappointing because I really liked this one, and I felt that two coats could easily be a reasonable load. Nevertheless, this was pretty inexpensive so I can't complain too much.

National Brand Computation Pad, Plain and 5 X 5 Quad On Back, Green Paper, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 200 Sheets (42389)
Price: $9.92
15 used & new from $7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Cardboard Comes Off Too Easily., April 1, 2012
This is typical Engineering Paper. Doesn't smear as much as other paper, and has a grid on the reverse side. Some people hate using it, because they do not enjoy writing on the gridded side. I'm fine with it, but I just hate that the cardboard on the back of the pad comes off so easily. If you put the pad in a 3-ring binder binder, that problem won't apply to you. However, if you're like me and you just throw it into your bookbag, be prepared for the cardboard to rip off the glue binding. After that, the pad gets all limp, easily crumpled, and generally annoying.

Breath Savers Mints, Strong Mint Peppermint, 12-Count Mints (Pack of 24)
Breath Savers Mints, Strong Mint Peppermint, 12-Count Mints (Pack of 24)

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, Pleasant Taste Without Seeming Too Sugary, April 1, 2012
I love these mints. Some other mints that I've tried are too sugary. They leave my teeth feeling gross, or they leave a strangely unpleasant after-taste in my mouth. I also like how they aren't powdery like some other mints are. However, most importantly they freshen my breath very well. Sometimes, if I sleep through my alarm and I don't have time to brush my teeth, I just pop one of these into my mouth and I've got a pretty good solution that'll last until I can get back home.

My only complaint is that the packaging they come in is a bit frustrating. I'd rather them come in a box or something that can be easily resealed. Right now, I'm using an old Altoids tin box which is working pretty well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2012 2:49 PM PDT

ExOfficio Men's Exo Dri 1/4 Zip Shirt,Black,Medium
ExOfficio Men's Exo Dri 1/4 Zip Shirt,Black,Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy but Thinner than I Imagined, April 1, 2012
This is definitely a runner's shirt rather than a sweater. For some reason, I imagined this to be a thicker outer layer that would keep me warm. I use it as an outer layer, but it will not keep you warm during any winter runs without something thick underneath. It's very breathable and comfortable though; ideal for exercising in brisk mornings or nights during that transition into or out of winter.

Full Size Attached Bed Support Slats - No Box Spring Needed!
Full Size Attached Bed Support Slats - No Box Spring Needed!
Offered by Home Fashion Products
Price: $69.98
3 used & new from $69.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Big But My Fault, April 1, 2012
I hate to be this guy, but I didn't read the product description carefully. These slats are a little bigger than an actual full size mattress. So, if you're like me and have a bed frame where the mattress actually fits snugly into the frame, do not buy these unless you're willing to saw some wood. On the other hand, if you've got a bed frame or something like that in which the mattress doesn't sink into the frame, this may be the thing for you. Just be warned that even worse than realizing that your new slats don't fit into your frame is trying to force the slats back into the box they came in. It comes all folded up and trying to replicate that is not fun unless you have a few friends to help. Plus return shipping is in the double digits which sucks a lot.

Disney Car Antenna Topper - Nemo
Disney Car Antenna Topper - Nemo

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute but expensive, April 1, 2012
This review is from: Disney Car Antenna Topper - Nemo
3.5 stars. I'll be honest here, I don't know why someone would need an antenna topper for their car. I can tell why someone would want one, but needing one is a different matter.

Nevertheless, when someone stole the 8-ball topper that came with my car when I got it, I was pretty pissed and immediately went out trying to find a replacement. Not so surprisingly, not very many brick and mortar stores sell something with so little practical use. Luckily, Amazon had me covered and I found this adorable Nemo topper. My manliness might be taking a hit with this one, but I love this little guy. He's even got the little bum fin that Nemo has in the movie. As an attempt to justify my purchase, I will say that this little guy is pretty helpful when I'm looking for my car (I'm "finding nemo" harhar). It won't justify the price, but if you're on this page actually looking for an antenna topper, you might be like me and not too concerned about the price. Just be prepared for the hurt in case some cruel person comes and snatches your little fish friend off your antenna. I know I'm not ready to part with Nemo yet, so I'm hoping nobody that mean finds my car anytime soon.

Fantom 2TB Greendrive3 64MB Cache USB 3.0 External Hard Drive  (GD2000U3A)
Fantom 2TB Greendrive3 64MB Cache USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (GD2000U3A)
Price: $104.99
33 used & new from $96.66

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints, April 1, 2012
I bought the 2TB Fantom Greendrive3 when my old 1TB external hard drive filled up. The new drive arrived on time. I was a bit surprised to see that it had a small power brick. This definitely was designed as a desktop thing rather than a portable unit.

Anyways, my Windows 7 laptop had no trouble detecting the drive. I liked that the drive was basically empty upon arrival. There were two small files on it. I don't remember exactly what they were now, but there wasn't any type of software preloaded on the drive. Formatting went without any problems. I started it, left for my shift at work, came back and it was done. Then I started transferring most of the crap on my old drive onto the new one. The Fantom drive is a USB 3.0 device, but remember if you're trying to transfer to/from a 2.0 device like I was, your speed will be limited to 2.0 speeds.

The new Fantom drive lasted throughout the night constantly transferring files without the computer losing it. After that I finally got to test the 3.0 speeds. All in all, I'm pretty impressed. With my old drive I was getting write speeds ~20 MB/s; with the new one I consistently got around 80 MP/s. I've been using it pretty often throughout the past week, and it's been performing very well. It is very quiet, and its power saving features don't have any problems that I can see. It is a bit expensive compared to other 2TB USB 3.0 drives, and I can't compare it to cheaper ones as I've never owned one, but I believe it to be worth the investment. If its performance falters later, I'll update my review, but right now I see it as a very good, very fast external hard drive.

Solutions Manual for Organic Chemistry, 7th Edition
Solutions Manual for Organic Chemistry, 7th Edition
by Jan W. Simek
236 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, Sometimes Vague, but Still Extremely Useful Companion, January 4, 2011
I'm not usually a fan of solution manuals. I feel like a student should have a solution manual free of charge in the form of a professor or teaching assistant. So, I muscled through the 1st of a 3 course Organic Chemistry sequence purely through the textbook, lecture notes, and numerous office hour visits. I survived, but it was painful. I finally gave in and bought the solutions manual for the second course. I have to admit that it is more expensive than I am comfortable paying for a companion book to an already expensive textbook, but I also have to admit that it helped greatly. The solutions manual unfortunately does not cover every question in the book, and it does not enumerate every step in every answer. However, it gives enough information to allow me to ask specific questions rather than just bring my textbook to my professor's office and ask him to do every problem for me. Instead, I could show the professor which step I still did not understand, which would usually lead to the pinpointing of a certain concept I did not understand. It does not serve as a replacement for a professor or a TA, but I found it to be an invaluable complement.

Page: 1 | 2