Profile for T. Herburger > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 48

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. Herburger "31B" RSS Feed (Fort Stewart, GA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Raspberry Pi For Dummies
Raspberry Pi For Dummies
by Sean McManus
Price: $16.22
58 used & new from $13.69

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has been a great help!, August 5, 2013
The book is packed full of useful information and how-tos. The authors explain everything from the ground up. It's easy to follow, easy to understand, and provides plenty of useful and interesting information. I particularly enjoyed the sections of projects like how to program a simple game with Scratch, how to program with Python, etc.

Overall, highly recommend to anyone new to Pi, new to Linux, or wanting to expand their use/knowledge of a Pi.

Great book!

Edimax EW-7811Un 150M 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter, Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it, Ideal for Raspberry Pi, Supports Windows, Mac OS, Linux
Price: $8.70
40 used & new from $6.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for Raspberry Pi!, August 5, 2013
This little guy gets the job done! Raspberry Pi users should definitely think about using this little beast; it's on the list of confirmed compatible peripherals, the appropriate driver(s) are already installed on the OS and so setup and installation was a breeze.

It's small, cheap, works great, and compatible with my Raspberry Pi, what more could I want?

Motorola Lapdock for Atrix 4g
Motorola Lapdock for Atrix 4g
Offered by Wireless ProTech
Price: $169.00
4 used & new from $67.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Used with Raspberry Pi, August 3, 2013
I've been playing away with my Raspberry Pi for a while now, but it got a little clumsy having to attach it to my TV every time. I was digging around Amazon for a cheap but decent quality computer monitor. However, the idea of shelling out even 100+ bucks for a new monitor to be used on a $35 computer seemed a bit over the top. With that, I searched around for solutions and found out about people using these Motorola Lapdocks for the Pi.

I purchased mine refurbished and at $55 I couldn't go wrong! It took a bit a cable butchering and frustration, but I got it to work with the Raspberry Pi. Plus it was a fun little project.

As for the Lapdock, it's slim, great-looking, and certainly a high-quality build. It really is a great product.

The original retail price (as I understand it) was about $500- Ouch! I can see why this idea didn't work out so well. Fast forward to now and at 60 bucks you can't go wrong! As previous reviewers mentioned this product has been discontinued so definitely get one while you still can.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2013 2:45 PM PDT

GeauxRobot Clear Raspberry Pi Case Enclosure Box Dog Bone Shape
GeauxRobot Clear Raspberry Pi Case Enclosure Box Dog Bone Shape
Offered by GeauxRobot
Price: $13.99
2 used & new from $7.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great!, August 3, 2013
Really happy with this case/enclosure. It looks great, easy to assemble, fair price, high quality, and the Pi fits nice and snug inside. It also has appropriate holes to attach an adapter that will hook up to the back of a flat screen TV.

Pretty basic, clean setup for you Pi.

Gear Head USB 2.0 4-Port Hub with Energy Saving Switch (AC Powered) (RoHS) (UH5500ESP)
Price: $17.98
46 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, August 3, 2013
I'm using the GearHead powered USB hub as a semi-permanent hub on my computer desk. I have it attached with Velcro tape to the desk and use it to power my mouse, key board, cell phone, and an Amazon Basics mini USB hub for the occasional thumb drive or external hard drive. Really no complaints here, it works fine and the external power source lets me plug away without feeling that I'm sucking my laptop dry.

I also use it for my Raspberry Pi; some Pi owners may have already realized the Pi is touchy with its power and this hub basically allows you to avoid such an issue.

Fair price, gets the job done, no issues so far.

SANOXY® 2.5" USB 2.0 SATA Hard Drive HDD Case Enclosure
SANOXY® 2.5" USB 2.0 SATA Hard Drive HDD Case Enclosure
Offered by Sanoxy
Price: $9.99
6 used & new from $9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for me, July 31, 2013
First off, I purchased an Acer Chromebook a couple of months ago. Using it to run Ubuntu, I upgraded the RAM and SSD to 60 GB, leaving the OEM 16 GB SSD laying around without a use. It was precisely for that reason that I decided to buy this case in order to use for the 16 GB SSD for my Raspberry Pi. But, considering 16 GB isn't all that great, I didn't care to spend much money on the case, thus coming across this SANOXY one at an unbeatable low price.

Unlike previous reviewers, my package came with all necessary parts/pieces including a cheap little screw driver. Also, the print on the outside of the case was not tacky or anything, I even rub my fingers over it to see if I would have the same results as other reviewers... I did not.

It suited my needs perfectly and I recommend to anyone wanting/needing a cheap harddrive caddy. It does look and feel cheap, but then again, it IS cheap.

AmazonBasics 3-Button USB Wired Mouse (Black)
AmazonBasics 3-Button USB Wired Mouse (Black)
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No faults found, July 31, 2013
Bought this mouse to replace an old and well-used HP mouse. The qualities of the mouse are; it's simple, basic, clean-design, comfortable in my hand... but best of all, it's cheap!

This is not a Logitech gaming mouse so don't expect that level of awesomeness, but similarly don't expect to pay the 30-40 bucks for one either!

The price of this mouse is by and far it's highlight, yet the adage of "you get what you paid for" doesn't entirely apply as the mouse is fully function and far removed from some low-quality, gonna-break-apart-after-a-day product.

Need a basic, cheap mouse for your computing needs? Well, you found it.

Techni Mobili Complete Media Computer Desk, Woodgrain, 38-Inch W by 22-Inch D by 35-Inch H
Price: $89.78
10 used & new from $82.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy customer, July 31, 2013
I wanted a desk that wasn't to large yet had a good amount of surface space. I also wanted the desk to be simple in design and not a wallet-buster.
And so, this product hit the mark. As mentioned by other reviewers, the desk is sturdy and of fairly high quality. It was also straight forward to assemble, even by myself.

Overall, very, very happy with the desk, it fits neatly in my room and works great.

I will say the picture doesn't seem to quite capture the true color of the desk, as mine is a bit lighter with a more organeish-redish tint then depicted. I am not unhappy with this in the least bit, but I think it should be noted if color-scheming rooms together is an important part of the buy for you.

GradeSaver (TM) ClassicNotes: In Cold Blood Study Guide
GradeSaver (TM) ClassicNotes: In Cold Blood Study Guide
by Grace Laubacher
Price: $6.93
8 used & new from $5.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me!, July 29, 2013
I took a sophomore (college) English class over the summer. The condensed six week run for the class, plus the high minimum word count requirement, meant I would be reading/writing at a fairly fast pace. In this mix we had to read In Cold Blood with bi-weekly short-answer quizzes. I bought and read this Grade Saver book precisely to help me with the ICB readings.

The book did feel a bit clunky and unpolished as the previous reviewer stated. However, I wasn't nearly as effected by this fact and it worked great for me. The chapter summaries and analyses let me know what I was to look for before reading; the character analyses were also useful in establishing the key traits... the essay ideas proved a useful brainstorming piece for me as I ultimately had to write an essay on the book... I did find the quizzes to be useless, however.

Overall I used this book to help speed-read my way through Capote's great In Cold Blood.
Did it work in this regard? Yes.
Is this book amazinghappyfuntimes?! No.

Getting Started with Ubuntu 13.04
Getting Started with Ubuntu 13.04
by The Ubuntu Manual Team
Price: $4.37
3 used & new from $4.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Introduction to Ubuntu, July 18, 2013
I only recently decided to give Ubuntu a try... and well, I love it! However, I did want to 'get more' out of Ubuntu, being new and all to the OS. This book did precisely that for me. The content is well written, well organized, fairly comprehensive (but not advanced), and easy to understand (ie. no heavy usage of technical terms).

Best thing about it? THE PRICE!
For less than four bucks, any complaints about the book are automatically nullified in my opinion.

The publication is free for download as ebook and the price paid is merely to cover printing costs. But if you're like me and prefer the more tangible medium when reading, the price for this book is more than reasonable.

For those who, like myself, are new to the wonderful world of Ubuntu, I highly recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5