Profile for Michael Feine > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Feine RSS Feed (St. Cloud, MN)

SOKUROV: EARLY MASTERWORKS (Whispering Pages / Stone / Save and Protect) [Blu-ray and DVD]
DVD ~ Aleksandr Cherednik
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $37.65
15 used & new from $31.84

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb director but where to begin?, December 10, 2012
Let it be known that I have preordered this item from Amazon but to my knowledge these films by Sokurov have never actually been available to American audiences on home video form much less in blu-ray. Speaking of which thank you people at Cinema Guild for realizing what an important films/director this is. Again, to my knowledge these are the first films of Sokurov to get a blu-ray release in America. So, for the record I have not actually seen any of these films but many others by the famed director and highly anticipate them.

Sokurov is the equivilent of Russian greats in films as Tarkovsky in the 1960s and 1970s as well as Eisenstein in the 1920s 30s and 40s. In America he might be compared with such greats as Kubrick, Speilberg, or what Bergman did for Sweden/Kurosawa for Japan Sokurov has done for Russia especially since the end of the Cold War.

Sokurov came to international fame in the late 1990s (although he did many films,documentaries before this period) for Russian Ark an uninterrupted single shot that takes place entirely in the Hermitage Museum and covers 300 years of Russian history. A few years back he took on the German tale of Faust which distinctly marked a possible new angle in his work (although it has yet to get an American DVD/blu-ray release...i bought my copy from England). A word of warning to those who do not know Sokurov. His work is almost bitterly slow but amazingly beautiful except for the pre-said Faust which clips along at quite the faster pace. Sokurov won the top award at the Venice Film Festival for best film for Faust which also saw Michael Fassbender win for Best Actor for his performance as sex addict Brandon in Steve McQueen's Shame. Also amazing but McQueen's Hunger was better.

If you are an extreme film fan or expert as I declare myself to be Early Masterworks is a near MUST especially since $60 is not bad for three films on blu-ray that to my knowledge have never gotten the American home video release that they deserved.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2015 5:56 AM PST

The Story of Film: An Odyssey
The Story of Film: An Odyssey
DVD ~ Mark Cousins
Price: $36.99
15 used & new from $30.39

5.0 out of 5 stars My anticipation is high but..., December 10, 2012
Let me be clear that i have not seen this yet so this is a hypothetical review. First of all let me just say that I very nearly had the chance to see all 15 hours of this giant undertaking. I am in the habit of going to Minneapolis every 3 weeks to visit friends and see films. Sadly, the weekend The Walker Art Center was showing 5 hours of this each day did not match up for me. I have no doubt that this wont be worth my time. Just the fact that Mark Cousins talked with Lars von Trier for this---and after he put his foot in his mouth at Cannes von Trier said he is not doing interviews anymore---might just be one of the better reasons to get STORY OF FILM (the others being Claire Denis, Wim Wenders, etc. and on and on).

But I must say I am saddened that it has taken so long to come out on DVD (original release date was Nov. 20th and I am a very impatient person). Nevermind something of this magnitude should probably have a Blu-ray release. The only other thing I can complain about is the price. As $60 is not bad for 15 hours worth of viewing, I am tempted just the same to cancel my order before tomorrow and hopefully buy from a third party for a cheaper price. Hey, Amazon its Christmas and I am not a wealthy person this time of year.

Queer as Folk - The Final Season (Collector's Edition)
Queer as Folk - The Final Season (Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Gale Harold
Price: $28.09
16 used & new from $23.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Queer As Folk- The Fifth Season, November 5, 2006
I love this show and am so glad it ended the way it did. Look out for Rosie!

Troy (Two-Disc Full Screen Edition)
Troy (Two-Disc Full Screen Edition)
DVD ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by SOUTHWEST MEDIA
Price: $4.48
75 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Troy, September 11, 2004
This was an awful movie. One of the worst movies Brad Pitt has ever been in. Which is really to bad considering he has done so much in other movies. The acting was terrrible, the dialogue couldn't have been worse, the movie strays so far away from the book. The only good thing that came from this movie was the fight seen between Bana and Pitt.