Profile for C. James > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 824

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. James RSS Feed
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
OEM Blackberry Curve 3G 9330 Standard C-S2 Battery [With Hologram]
OEM Blackberry Curve 3G 9330 Standard C-S2 Battery [With Hologram]
Offered by OEM Battery Supply
Price: $5.01
23 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not New and does not Hold Charge, February 24, 2015
I found two issues with this battery, the first is that it intermittantly just cuts out and the BB restarts from power up, when I put my old battery back it never does this, and second, even when it is not cutting out it seems to hold at best a 1/2 day heavy use charge, my old battery still lasts over a day and it is bloated (why I replaced it).

The other thing I noticed was it is not new, the battery contacts had very clear signs of wear, you can tell from the marks on the contacts that show it had been removed many times, there is more wear on these contacts than my 3 year old battery.

For 5 bucks I did not try to return it, just got another battery from another seller.

Home Made Creamy Maple English Walnut Fudge - 12 OZ Gift Box
Home Made Creamy Maple English Walnut Fudge - 12 OZ Gift Box
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Taste -- Just Right Ratio of Nuts and Fudge, January 30, 2015
This was pretty tasty and has a very mix of nuts and fudge for my preferences. This was very smooth and creamy with a rich maple taste. I treat myself to maple fudge once a year, and will likely get this again next Christmas.

Apple Butter - Two-16 Oz Jar
Apple Butter - Two-16 Oz Jar
Price: $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Taste -- Too Runny, January 30, 2015
This Apple Butter is about the best tasting I have had, but it is runny, more the consistency of apple sauce than apple butter. The taste is great so if you like it on the runny side this is good. I have been using it as apple sauce with pork meals.

The Swiss Colony Fruit Cake Medley Original Fruit Cake, 1/2-lb.
The Swiss Colony Fruit Cake Medley Original Fruit Cake, 1/2-lb.
Offered by The Swiss Colony
Price: $10.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Little Bland For Fruitcake -- Skip This One, January 12, 2015
I am one of those people that like fruitcake and not specialty ones, just the classic dark ones. I will say the ad for this was good and perhaps set my expectations too high. Overall it was actually bland, especially the candied fruit, almost flavorless. The cake is a little light for fruitcake also bland and lacked that rich taste, it was too dry. It also needed more nuts, more fruit and better quality fruit.

Given how small it is, and it is small, I actually had a half inch slice left over and that is very rare for me, I tend to nibble on it between slices until its reduced to a few crumbs.

For the cost I expected a lot better, I'll go back to the ones in a tin can from the supermarket next year.

Could not recommend to anyone but will say it does not taste bad it is just not good.

Holy Stone 5 In 1 X 5 Battery Charger For Syma X5C, X1, UDI 818A, Hubsan, DFD F180, Holy Stone F180C M68 M68R(plus), WL Toys
Offered by Holy Stone™ USA Toy
Price: $18.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Charger, January 12, 2015
This has worked very well in the week or so I have had it, it charges 3 batts as fast as 1, 3 batteries is all I have so until more batts show up 3 is the most I can do right now.

What I like is that it has all of the protections you need, over-charge and shorting so you can just hook them up and forget about them until your next flight. I also like how it gives you a positive indication when any given battery is fully charged, the LED for that port turns off and you know it is ready. The one thing I wish it had was a conditioning cycle but I knew it didn't when I bought it so no points off.

So far it seems to give each battery a full charge, in fact, I get about 1 minute more flight time than with the charger that came with my quadcopter.

You do need to have a USB power source and while you could use your computer I don't think that is the best way, PC USB ports vary in what they can handle and it is also dependent on what else you have plugged into your USB ports. I got a very cheap 21W USB power supply to go with this, it also has protection in it in case this box shorts or pulls too much current.

The description says it comes with 4 adapter jumpers but it comes with 5 as pictured as well as the USB cord.

I have a UDI 818A Quadcopter and the batts that go with it and this has worked out very well.

Pros:
Charges 5 Batts in the time of 1
Over-Charge Protection (no need to babysit it)
Short circuit Protection -- Nice with the stories of batts swelling, leaking and even catching on fire per Amazon reviews
Positive indication when charge cycle is over
Complete charge, I got an extra minute on average, which is about 20% longer.

Cons:
Needs external power from a USB port or charger (although most people have at least one USB charger)
No conditioning cycle to restore batts

I would easily recommend this to a friend.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2015 6:26 AM PST

Made in USA Can Opener (Black)
Made in USA Can Opener (Black)
Offered by 4 Peaks Technology LLC
Price: $15.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Can Opener You'll Ever Buy, January 6, 2015
This quickly reminds you how well things Made in the USA can be. When my can opener of 40 years finally needed replacing I did not think twice about and just picked one up from the supermarket which lasted less than a year and was never very good to start with. This is the same sturdy construction as my last good one, they are heavy and clearly made with quality steel.

This goes through any can lid like a hot knife through butter and really grabs the can, I have not had one walk-offs as I call them when the opener loses its grip and walks off the edge making to reengage it. It so far has easily punctured every can I have tried so far on the first try. The handles are well cushioned and the turning knob is big and easy to get and keep a purchase on even with wet or slippery hands.

I would easily recommend these to friends.

Top Chef by Master Cutlery 9-Piece Knife Set
Top Chef by Master Cutlery 9-Piece Knife Set
Price: $86.99
15 used & new from $60.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Darn Good, January 6, 2015
I looked for a while before selecting these knives, and not that I have been using them a few weeks I can say I am pretty happy with the set. My set came in perfect condition and the block is very nice, much smaller footprint than my old one so I get a little bit of counter space back. The scissors are pretty handy with jar opener in the handle, flat screwdriver type end and a can opener on the handle end, the scissors are sharp and cut well.

Now for the knives, because of my last set I am already in the habit of rinsing and wiping dry after each use so I have no issues with rusting as I saw in a couple reviews, mine came very sharp and seem to be holding the edge reasonably well, like a lot of good knives it does not hurt to hit it with a few swipes on the sharpening stick, again force of habit, I have been still doing that every few uses/

The knives have a good feel, not too heavy and certainly not cheesy feeling (think Ginsu) I would put them just one notch down from my older Cutco knives in feel. The lengths and types are just right, nice serrated blade for bread and such, 2 butcher style, one with the little indents that I assume are so potatoes and things like it don't stick to the blade, and it sort of works, the other is a smooth blade, classic butcher style.

I think the price / performance is perfect on these, not too expensive in cost and not too cheap in the product, I would recommend these to a friend.

Amish Pie Filling Strawberry/Rhubarb - 32 Oz
Amish Pie Filling Strawberry/Rhubarb - 32 Oz
Price: $7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Bland -- Yuck!, January 6, 2015
This was a major disappointment, my fault for not reading the reviews first. I was very much anticipating this figuring how could I go wrong with Amish Country, their Apple Butter and outstanding. Well they seemed to use the same approach on the pie filling, it was pureed, pure mush with no pieces of rhubarb or strawberry.

There is also zero zing to the filling, no real hint of rhubarb at all but oddly not too sweet. Given all of the trouble it takes to make a pie, 10 extra minutes to cut up some real rhubarb when in season is the way to go but I was hoping this would be good out of season. The ad for this should say it is mush with no pieces intact, much like orange juice tells you the pulp content these days. I think everyone pretty much knows the texture and consistency of rhubarb pie and this was way off the mark, enough to rate mentioning.

Thankfully I used a Marie Calendar crust, had I made a crust from scratch I would be really unhappy, the crust was clearly the highlight of that pie. If you are looking for real rhubarb type pie filling look somewhere else, you will be disappointed with this for sure.

UDI U818A 2.4GHz 4 CH 6 Axis Gyro RC Quadcopter with Camera RTF Mode 2
UDI U818A 2.4GHz 4 CH 6 Axis Gyro RC Quadcopter with Camera RTF Mode 2
Offered by Systomic Distribution Center
Price: $57.55
48 used & new from $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious Fun -- Perfect for First Time Flyer, January 2, 2015
I was not sure what to expect, after reading a lot of reviews I picked this as the price and features were about right for something I might destroy on my first try. I have no experience with RC cars, planes, or other devices, this is my first remote controlled vehicle but I have used game controllers so the controls were not that hard to pick up.

I fired 818A up after charging the battery and just had a blast! It was a lot easier to control than I had expected from the reviews, I had to start in my basement, was very windy and dark out when it was ready to try. It took just a few minutes to get it to reliably hoover but I had to keep adjusting it to keep it in the same spot, I used the trim to take most the drift out but it still drifted a little but was easy enough to control. I manage to do a level flight 360 turn (not flip), but took a 360 degree video of my basement, it looked totally cool on the video.

Making your first goal to attain level stable flight really lets you get a feel for the controls without much risk of breaking anything, once I could hold it in a spot then I tried cruising it around, again it is not hard to get the basics, just remember to just kill power if you lose control, at 4' off the floor dropping does not hurt it at all.

I had bought and charged 2 extra batteries and was getting 5 - 8 minutes per battery but this is because I was not running it hard, the basement area is 20 feet by 14' with 7' ceiling, most of the time the power was around 30%. The next thing I plan to do is get a few more batteries.

As I noted the video was great, it was night and I was in the basement with just the basement lights on and it captured pretty good video.

When I first unboxed it, I was pretty worried it was going to break easily, it feels really flimsy, as it turns out this is an strength, everything flexes and bends easily, which comes in really handy as you bounce it off wall, the ceiling, and everything else in range, drop from 7 feet landing upside down on a concrete floor, no problem, just flip it over and go again.

I really took some good crashes and not even the propellers broke, so over all I am totally happy with this and it gives you enough "feel" for the hobby to know if you want to drop a grand or more on a more professional grade quadcopter.

Pros:
- Easy for first timer to fly
- Very durable
- Comes fully assembled
- Can be flown indoors provided you have at least a 10'x10'x6' clear area, I typically hovered at about 4 feet
- Spare parts and batteries readily available, this model is for sale everywhere so you can get parts locally

Cons:
- Battery life, plan on 5 or so minutes, so get several
- Trim Control on remote needs to be done every time you turn it on, no way to save it
- Manual is a joke -- But has all key info to get it going
- Power Charger does not work like the manual says, on mine a red light means it is charged

I would easily recommend this quadcopter for first time flyers, love the size and stability in still air.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2015 11:22 PM PST

Scotwood Industries 12J-RR Road Runner Premium Ice Melter, 12-Pound
Scotwood Industries 12J-RR Road Runner Premium Ice Melter, 12-Pound
Offered by SAVEAZON
Price: $23.00
2 used & new from $23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the better Ice Melts and it is not just "salt" as ..., November 27, 2014
This is one of the better Ice Melts and it is not just "salt" as one review suggested, its a chemical blend that is not only more effective than salt but is better for you lawn and concrete. I usually but the 50 pound bags but I bought one of these for the spreader lid.

If you have a medium to small area to cover like I do, it is perfect for laying down snow melt pellets for side walks and even the driveway. I just refill it from the bag once the ice melt that came with it. Give great control over the amount and location the pellets go, and refills easily.

BTW -- If the lid comes off in shipping you can recover all of it, you just pour it from the box back into the container.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16