ARRAY(0xa47f36b4)

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Simpson RSS Feed (California)

Page: 1 | 2
Genuine Bayer Aspirin Tablets, 2/PK, 50/BX
Genuine Bayer Aspirin Tablets, 2/PK, 50/BX
Offered by MFASCO Health & Safety co
Price: $13.23
21 used & new from $13.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Coated tablets, January 7, 2014
For emergency use (especially heart attacks), you really want un-coated Aspirin for fast absorption, but uncoated tablets are hard to find. So this isn't the ideal addition to first aid kits, but something is better than nothing. At least the little pouches are pretty robust so they'll protect the contents until needed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 12:02 AM PST

Ivation Long Range Wireless Dual 2 Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer Set - Monitor your Grill From up to 300 feet away
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with the smoker, January 7, 2014
Did my first smoke with this thermometer on Thanksgiving day - a bone-in breast that turned out just fantastic! Best turkey we've ever done, and the remote thermometer was not only easier to monitor than the mechanical guage, but the accuracy really helped get the vents dialed in and the meat cooked to perfection.

Both transmitter and receiver seem to work just fine with NiMH rechargeable batteries - some devices don't like the lower voltage.

Before the first use, I did seal each probe where the wire comes out using some Permatex Ultra Black high-temp RTV silicone I happened to have handy ( B0002UEN1U ) as others have recommended, to keep moisture from getting in and ruining the probe. Any good quality RTV silicone will do, just make sure it has a high enough temperature rating.

The reviews were right - this is a great little thermometer.

Happy smoking!

Tooto buy Nice mini Titanium Steel Love Pill Necklace Ti Waterproof Medicine Capsule Tablet Pill Box
Offered by Tooto buy
Price: $43.00
3 used & new from $29.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but I didn't want some random logo / brand name engraved on it!, January 7, 2014
Nice container, but mine came with an ugly laser engraved logo and brand name "Tiremet" etched prominently down the side - considering the premium price paid, I am NOT happy about that. I just wanted a nice plain container as is shown in the photos. It's not worth the hassle to send it back and shop for another, but I consider it false advertising not to show the logo in any of the photos or mention it in the description. Would have been 5 stars otherwise...

Jebao PP300LV Water Pump 40 GPH
Jebao PP300LV Water Pump 40 GPH
Offered by CNZ Lighting
Price: $18.64
7 used & new from $14.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for my Pioneer Pet fountain, August 1, 2013
Bought this to replace a Skyish TP-180LV pump that came with the Pioneer Pet raindrop ceramic drinking fountain - it's a perfect fit, quieter than the old one, and quite a bit cheaper than the replacement pump sold through Pioneer's website. I wasn't able to revive the old pump by cleaning out the hair and mineral deposits, so it was time for a new one. This is just what the doctor ordered.

Bionaire BW2300 Twin Window Fan with Remote Control
Bionaire BW2300 Twin Window Fan with Remote Control
Price: $57.99
40 used & new from $52.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and quiet, June 12, 2013
Just received this fan, and have been comparing it with a Holmes HWF0910AT recently bought from a local brick 'n mortar (appears to be identical to the Holmes HAWF2043 sold here).

The Bionaire is definitely a nicer fan from a feature and user friendliness standpoint, and as another reviewer pointed out - they come from the same manufacturer so have some similarities. This fan is electronically reversible (in/out/exchange), offers High Medium and Low speeds, and also comes with a remote control (note, the AAA batteries are a tight fit, and my NiMH rechargeables didn't quite fit). It also has a thermostat mode, though I will probably not use that feature - I would prefer a timer shut-off instead. In contrast, the Holmes fan has only high and low speeds, no remote, and a truly atrocious one-button control interface. The one small advantage of the Holmes unit is that each of the two fans has an independent direction switch. This allows you to control which side blows in, and which side blows out when using it to exchange room air. Not a big deal but some people might like that extra degree of control.

Most important to me, however, is the noise - the Bionaire is very quiet on the low/intake setting, although I immediately noticed that the exhaust direction is much louder than intake. To compare it with the Holmes fan, I broke out the sound level meter (I love being a nerd! :) ...

Bionaire BW2300 (dBA @ 1m):
Low/in 43
Med/in 45.5
High/in 50

Low/out 48
Med/out 50.5
High/out 57

Exchange setting loudness is about half way between in and out. Subjectively, the exhaust direction has a lot more rumble and turbulence noise, whereas the intake direction is a nice smooth white noise and much more acceptable. It sounds like the fan was designed to blow inward, and does not flow properly in reverse (although it moves air just fine).

Holmes HWF0910AT (dBA @ 1m):
Low 48.5
High 52.5

In, out, and exchange modes on this fan are of equal loudness and all subjectively about the same - generally fairly "white", but not as smooth and unobtrusive as the Bionaire's low & medium settings.

If you only need to bring fresh air in or exhaust on Low speed only, then the Bionaire is the clear winner. If you want to use exhaust or exchange modes a lot, especially on high setting, and can forgive the quirkyness of the Holmes controls, I think it is the quieter fan in that situation.

I hope this helps you if you value your peace & quiet, as I do.

La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, March 2, 2012
Other reviews have covered the details well... I'll spare the words and simply say this charger has been excellent for me over the past 4 years of frequent use. Too bad it's not available any more, but the BC-700 and BC-1000 should be just as good.

I also own the Sony BCG-34HRMF4, which is my backup & travel charger, and can report that it too has been reliable basic charger for me for 4+ years now. If you're looking for an economical option or something for less technical users, it's a fine alternative.

Inova X1DM-HT Dual High/Low Mode Flashlight with White LED and 1 AA Battery, Titanium
Price: $17.17
41 used & new from $15.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Great flashlight, but a leaky Alkaline will destroy it, March 1, 2012
As others have mentioned, this is an excellent compact flashlight. I carry one in my work bag and use it often.

I have one important detail to add: don't use Alkaline batteries!

I had an Energizer AA alkaline burst and leak inside of my 3-4yr old X1, and completely destroy the flashlight. The battery couldn't have been leaking for more than about two weeks since that was the last time I checked it, but the leaking electrolyte corroded all the way down the inside of the flashlight so badly that it took a dremel and pair of pliers to extract the dead battery. What was left of the flashlight was corroded inside beyond repair. Such a shame to lose a nice $20 flashlight over a poorly made battery. Even the 'good' alkaline brands do leak sometimes. At least the rubber gasket kept the mess inside...

I'm replacing my ruined X1 with a new one today. I've also vowed to banish Alkaline from my household, so I'll be running it (and anything else that needs batteries) on NiMH rechargeables, or photo Lithium types if a long shelf life is essential (e.g. smoke detectors or other emergency & safety equipment). NiMH is cheaper in the long run anyway.

***** UPDATE *****

I received my new X1DM-GT just the other day, and have finally had a good chance to test it out. Well, suffice to say I'm really stunned how much better it is compared to the old X1.

I have a few Mini Maglite 2-AA Xenons, which are hands-down better than my older X1. The Maglite can concentrate a lot more light toward the center when focused - throwing a nice, tight beam with a useful reach outdoors. The old X1's beam was weaker overall and more diffuse, leaving it unable to throw adequate light more than 15 - 20 feet. I have always felt too, that something about it's LED light spectrum just couldn't bring out detail or color for the human eye nearly as well as an incandescent (inherently full spectrum) can. Stuff just looks indistinct in the old X1's beam. So overall, the old X1 was simply no match, even though it's a great little flashlight for close-up work.

The new dual-brightness X1DM-GT is another story. And I'm surprised to say that it has actually got the Mini Maglite Xenon beat in a side-by-side comparison, even at 60 to 100' range. With the Maglite focused as tight as it can go, the new X1 (high setting) is actually a bit brighter at the center of it's beam, and it also puts out a lot more light around the central spot. This provides a significantly wider and brighter cone of illumination compared to the Maglite, with at least as good illumination in the center. The newer LED also seems to have a better spectrum to my eye, much better but still not as good as the incandescent.

Another important issue became apparent in my comparison. When I first stepped outside with both flashlights, the X1 dramatically outperformed the Maglite. I noticed that the Maglite's beam was weaker than normal, and sure enough, it's batteries had worn down. A fresh set of AAs put out a lot more light. Now the comparison between the X1DM and the Maglite was much closer. The Maglite's performance will suffer as batteries wear down, and the slightly lower voltage of NiMH rechargeables will never deliver the maximum output. The X1's regulator, however, will always ensure consistent output regardless of battery condition or type, right up until the battery runs out.

Side note:

If you do end up having to deal with the mess left behind by a ruptured alkaline, be aware that the fluid is caustic - it'll eat through metal and your skin, so avoid contact with it. Vinegar works well for cleanup, neutralizing the potassium hydroxide and helping break up / dissolve solids, then evaporates without leaving an acidic residue behind.

Black & Decker TRO490W Toast-R-Oven Classic 4-Slice Countertop Oven, White
Black & Decker TRO490W Toast-R-Oven Classic 4-Slice Countertop Oven, White

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire Hazard !!, December 30, 2011
I owned one of these for just a little over a year, and as others have mentioned, the timer started getting stuck, leaving the heaters ON indefinitely. This only happened once or twice before, but the last time it happened I had stepped out of the kitchen momentarily, only to return to flames coming out the top (up towards the cabinets above!), followed shortly by the smoke alarm going off. No harm done, luckily, but in a different situation this unsafe design could have been deadly. I would not trust this appliance - doubly so if there are children or elderly in the household.

This toaster is going straight to the trash where it belongs. Two thumbs down to B&D.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2012 11:08 PM PDT

Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
6 used & new from $400.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So this is what music sounds like! I'm a believer!!, June 22, 2011
At last, the product of my dreams! As soon as I hooked this up, actual music came out of my stereo. Unbelievable, I couldn't believe I was believing my ears... before I got this, I had to strain to hear anything at all from the stereo. It was boring and really fatiguing to listen so hard. At times I even thought I might just be imagining the music. But this product has magically transformed all that - imagine, after all these years with just an ordinary stereo, I had no idea how much inner detail and rhythmic connection I was missing!

I'm eagerly listening to my entire CD collection again, and I'm just astonished. It's like I'm truly hearing the music for the first time - so many new sounds I had never heard before!!!

Just to be sure, I tried it out a second time: as soon as I unhooked this product, I was back to practically nothing - the music faded to just a vague impression of what it could be. With the Denon AKDL1 back in - actual sound! A little tinny, but SOOO REALLY THERE!!! WOW.

Seriously folks, this is the REAL DEAL... without this, you just have no idea what you're missing. I can't wait to add a second one... oh, that's going to be overload!

Don't wait, order yours today!

It will open up a whole new universe you never knew existed! Once you go into that universe, you can simply never go back (yeah, I agree with the other reviewers - if there's one drawback, this would be it. My wife and kids went, and I haven't seen them since. But I don't miss them, what with all this incredible music. Plus, I'm too scared to go. I wish it were bi-directional, but maybe that's just asking too much?? Maybe one day Denon will make a matching return cable. Then I'll really be in heaven!).

Optics Pro Elite v5.2 Software
Optics Pro Elite v5.2 Software

2.0 out of 5 stars Good in principle, but poorly supported and does not live up to the price tag, November 20, 2009
DxO has done an excellent job on the algorithms designed to correct lens distortions, softness, vignetting, and chromatic aberrations. I have found no other piece of software which can match the optical correction capabilities of this program, and for that reason I really wanted this software to become a primary part of my workflow. Alas, the program's feature capabilities are fatally crippled in my opinion by a number of serious flaws, and the software has mostly gathered dust over the last two years that I've owned it.

First, DxO Optics Pro can not extract focus distance from the EXIF information for certain cameras (I believe it is most or all Canon cameras - I have this problem with files from my Canon 5D, problems have been reported for other models and brands as well). Without this critical piece of data, you must manually select a focus distance for each image in order for the optics corrections to work. Consequently, automatic batch processing of images is effectively impossible. The focus distance is there - other applications can show it. So it seems DxO just needs to put in the effort to fix this bug in their software. I have contacted DxO tech support about this, but they are apparently not willing to put effort into fixing this problem. Ignoring such basic functionality indicates to me their lack of commitment to customer service.

Second, I have to agree with other reviewers that the color rendering is not as good as other programs, and the remaining image sorting / browsing and adjustment tools are no match for Aperture or Lightroom. I would strongly prefer if DxO were simply a plugin for Aperture, and did nothing except the lens corrections. As it stands, the software does not integrate into my Aperture-centric workflow at all, and I find myself not wanting to go through the pain of using it except for those images which badly need optics corrections. DxO has taken great core functionality and wrapped it in a cumbersome package which is difficult to integrate into conventional work flows. They do make a Lightroom plugin, which is a good start in this direction, and I hope they'll do the same for Aperture.

Installation is a big hassle, requiring a huge and slow download every time. There doesn't seem to be a way to download the full installer just once, and just install from that image afterwards - it wants to connect to the server every time, which is a big pain if you don't have very fast internet access. It also means that if the company goes broke and their servers are no longer online, you'll never be able to install the software again.

Finally, DxO is not supporting OSX 10.6 for this revision - major functionality is broken, and DxO has stated they will not be releasing a patch. Here again, I feel the company is not standing by it's product by supporting customers who spent enough money on the software to justify what ought to be first-class software and service. Given the price tag, DxO Optics Pro falls far short of that mark. After only two years I feel my investment in this software has been largely wasted, so I will not be buying DxO again until they take major steps to remedy these shortcomings.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2009 12:52 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2