Profile for Tiffany Ann Rogers > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tiffany Ann Rogers "tiffytutu" RSS Feed (Dyersburg, TN United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Babyville: A Novel
Babyville: A Novel
by Jane Green
171 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Babyville - a town all women want to visit?, October 10, 2005
This review is from: Babyville: A Novel (Hardcover)
No, Babyville is not a town, but a state of mind. For 3 different women, those states of mind are very different.

We have Julia who has been trying for 9 months to have a baby in order to save her stuck-in-a-rut relationship. When her tactics don't appear to be working, she heads to New York City to get a break from it all and see if she can get some of her vivacious spirit back.

The next section of the book focuses on Maeve who is perfectly happy using men and then tossing them aside in order to focus on her career and climb the corporate ladder. The sight of children makes her literally sick. When she finds herself in trouble after a one night stand, she must decide if she will keep the baby or get rid of it.

The final section of the story brings all 3 stories together and also focuses on Sam, Julia's best friend, who is suffering from postpartum depression and contemplating an affair.

Jane Green once again uses chick lit to focus on a time of a woman's life that can be full of joy and full of tears. She not only shows the good side that motherhood can bring, but also focuses on the negative sides as well. It is a great story with different points of view and characters that bring those points of view to life. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a little bit of a different twist on their chick lit!

The Tea Rose: A Novel
The Tea Rose: A Novel
by Jennifer Donnelly
54 used & new from $0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling at its best!, March 10, 2003
This review is from: The Tea Rose: A Novel (Hardcover)
This has become one of my favorite books! I was immediately enraptured by the story of Joe Bristow and Fiona Finnegan, two people of lower class London society. The two are in love as two people could be, but face more obstacles than most people do in their entire lives. When Joe leaves Fiona to go work in a different section of London, deep down Fiona knows that they will never be together. When Fiona has to escape London and head for America she faces the fact that she is on her own. She is determined to make it and be a survivor.
This was one of the best books I have ever read. The setting was extraordinary. I could picture myself in London and in New York in the 1880's. The characters are well developed and memorable. I was hooked after the first few pages and stayed hooked until the last page. I still wanted more and I hated for it to end!
Jennifer Donnelly is am impressive author who weaves a magical story and I cannot wait to read other books by her.

Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper--Case Closed
Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper--Case Closed
by Patricia Cornwell
880 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Case not closed for me..., March 10, 2003
I was so excited about getting this book after seeing Patricia Cornwell interviews, articles about the book, and reading a couple of excerpts from it. Generally I don't read non-fiction, but I felt that I would try the genre. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Case Closed? Not really. At least not for me. It took me a lot longer to finish this book then it does most the ones that I read. There was no sense of organization to the book. It jumped around so much that I was easily confused. It was like Cornwell just started writing and when she remembered a detail, she stuck it in.
After spending millions of dollars of her own money and writing a book, I expected the case against Walter Sickert to be airtight. But it wasn't. At the end of the book I was still asking myself who had really done it. While there are a few things to connect Sickert to the crime, there are a lot of things that just don't pan out. I just think there are too many "possibilities" that will sadly never be proven and seem a little far-fetched.
Now I did get a lot of information and learn things that I otherwise would not have known. But as a whole I felt gypped into reading a book that promised something that it wasn't. There were no shocking revelations or airtight cases. And for that, I gave it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Open House: A Novel (Oprah's Book Club)
Open House: A Novel (Oprah's Book Club)
by Elizabeth Berg
Price: $10.39
661 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 5 Star Read!, February 17, 2003
Sam is a woman whose life is turned upside down when her husband just decides to leave her. She hasn't seen any signs until he tells her it is over and it just stuns her. She decides to be the best mother that she can be to her son Travis and does everything she can to make the transition easier. But when she has to take in boarders to make the mortgage on the house, Travis begins to resent her. Eventually, these boarders share their lives with Sam and Travis, and though they don't realize it, they learn many things. Sam tries out dating again and Travis tries to adjust to life without his Dad. From the separation, Sam learns many things about herself, about life, and about not settling for second best.
The emotions in this book are exquisite. Berg captures the feelings of divorce, mother/daughter issues, and even finding a job in a strange world. The characters really tug at your heart and you sympathize with the things that they are going through.
This book was truly a 5 star read for me! It is the first I have read by Elizabeth Berg and I eagerly anticipate reading more of them!

The End of the Affair (movie tie-in)
The End of the Affair (movie tie-in)
by Graham Greene
181 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A story of love and hate..., February 17, 2003
This book was a very interesting love story. It is a love story that fills you with sadness as you read it. Bendrix and Sarah are two people who are involved in a love affair with each other. Though Bendrix is a friend of Sarah's husband, Henry, that doesn't stop him from falling in love with her. The affair lasts for several years until a horrible accident forces Sarah to give Bendrix up.
The novel begins a couple of years after Sarah and Bendrix's last time to see each other. Over the months, Bendrix has had plenty of time to perfect his feelings of hate toward Sarah and Henry. His emotions take over when he finds that Sarah has another lover and he hires a detective to follow her around. The things that the detective uncovers make Bendrix rethink his feelings toward Sarah.
This is a book about love and hate and all other emotions in between. Green does a wonderful job of weaving this story together and making the characters come alive. It was a little hard to understand because there are so many jumps in time and it goes back and forth too much. But this affair isn't one of the trashy romances you would expect, but a story of two people in love and the circumstances that keep them apart.
I gave it 3 stars because I felt at times a little lost and confused about the events and when they were happening. Other than that, the plot is good, the characters are great, and the love story is thought provoking.

The Dive From Clausen's Pier
The Dive From Clausen's Pier
by Ann Packer
433 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Story!, February 4, 2003
This book really touched me in a way that I cannot really explain. It shows how life as you know it can slip away in an instant and the life that new is changed forever.
This is the story of Carrie Bell and her fiancee Mike Mayer. They are high school sweethearts, college sweethearts, and at one time, they were the best of friends. But recently, Carrie has been feeling like she is pulling away from Mike and she doesn't really know why. This leads them to the fateful day when they take their Annual Memorial Day trip to Clausen's Pier. In a boyish attempt to impress Carrie, Mike decides to dive off the Pier, not realizing that the water is three feet lower then normal. The rest of the story changes their lives. But it doesn't only change the lives of Carrie and Mike, but their friends as well. Jamie, Carrie's best friend begins to feel alienated and so do most of the other people in Carrie's life.
This was a book that I could not put down. Carrie and I are the same age when this book starts and I just really connected with her character. I think that a situation when a loved one gets hurt is something that every one can relate to, or at least relate to the fear of. Carrie is a multi-faceted person and I was really able to see her on many different levels.
Anne Packer did a great job on this book, her storytelling was wonderful and realistic and I really felt that I was in Carrie and Mike's circle of friends. I highly recommend this book to everyone and it is one that I will remember for a long time to come!

Standing in the Rainbow: A Novel
Standing in the Rainbow: A Novel
by Fannie Flagg
326 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Elmwood Springs!, February 1, 2003
Fannie Flagg's latest book is set in the picturesque town of Elmwood Springs, MO. We are introduced to the characters in the year 1946 and follow them through to present day (well, the 90's). While the story begins by mainly focusing on the family of Neighbor Dorothy, it broadens out to the town and the family that is within it. The citizens of Elmwood Springs are a family themselves.
Neighbor Dorothy is a radio show hostess who goes into the houses of people in the Midwest. She is held at highest regard among her listeners and the people of her town. She is genuine and the people relate to her because she is so honest and willing to share her life with the listeners. Through her show and the events in the book, we get to know her family, her boarders, and some of her listeners.
The characters are very colorful and you can relate to each of them in some way. Whether it was your childhood passing right before your eyes, moving away from home for the first time, or feeling that you just don't fit with the people who raised you, Flagg covers it all.
The setting is beautiful and depicts the South at different decades and the people who reside in it.
Being a southerner, I love Fannie Flagg and her storytelling and the way that she is able to capture the heart of the towns and the heart of the characters. There is a great storyline and it leaves you at the end wanting more. I just hope that Flagg keeps making more!

If Looks Could Kill
If Looks Could Kill
by Kate White
400 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Meet Bailey Weggins, January 20, 2003
This review is from: If Looks Could Kill (Hardcover)
I knew the name Kate White sounded familiar, I just couldn't place the name with a face until I read the back flap of the book. Of course, she is the editor of Cosmopolitan, my favorite magazine! I was excited to read this book before, but I was really excited after knowing who the author was.
Meet Bailey Wiggins, a free lance writer for Gloss, a Cosmopolitanish magazine, that is run by a snibbish woman named Cat. Cat is a very smart, career lady who has made many people mad on her way to the top. Bailey considers her a friend, but really only when Cat needs something. So when Cat calls early one Sunday morning panicking about her Nanny, Heidi, not answering the door, Bailey figures she is just overreacting but decides to humor her. What Bailey finds when she enters the Nanny's apartment is not something she would never wish to see again. She finds Heidi dead after appartently being sick everywhere in the house. Since Bailey writes crime stories, Cat begs her to help find the killer. The things that happen to Bailey are suspensful and sometimes a little scary. In a book where everyone is a suspect, it is a huge who done it until the end.
The cover says A Bailey Weggins mystery so we can only hope that she appears in more books and they are just as good. I was not disappointed in this book and I was very glad that I took the time to read. I eaglerly await Kate White's next novel, but for now, I will just keep reading the Cosmopolitan and hoping the next book comes out soon!

The Last Girls (Shannon Ravenel Books)
The Last Girls (Shannon Ravenel Books)
by Lee Smith
212 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a trip down the might Mississippi! Rating 3.5/5, January 13, 2003
After reading this book, I am fully ready to take a cruise down the Mississippi. I never realized how expensive or luxourious they could be. Smith does just an exceptional job of describing the setting of this story. You feel like you are on the riverboat and at college with these girls.
We begin the story with a look at how the girls who made the trip down the river in the 60's are doing now. Harriet is an "old maid" schoolteacher, Courtney could be the poster woman for Southern living, Anna is a successful writer, and Heather is an artist. They have all 4 come together to spread the ashes of Baby, one of the original rafters. As we look at their lives now, we also see their lives as they once were. Not only in college, but growing up as well. We see where they came from and what they became. But not all of them have fond memories of the one they have come to bury. While Baby was an exciting person in their lives, she has also caused each girl some kind of heartache and bad memories.
The 4 women are now trying to take a break from their lives and reconnect with each other after having not been in touch for so many years. Their memories are funny, touching, sad, and heart wrenching. As a southern girl I really connected with the characteristics of most of the characters. I felt that I was right there with them on their cruise into "self-discovery" and into New Orleans.
The reason I gave this story a 3.5 out of 5 is because I just felt that it dragged a little too much. In the middle I got very restless and just felt that I was on a plateau. The beginning was great, the ending was okay, but the middle was just a little lacking. I would definitely read another by Lee Smith again and hope that I am transported into the story like I was in this one!

I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
by Allison Pearson
405 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Bridget Jones Does Motherhood, January 13, 2003
I love all of the British ladies we are meeting and Kate Reddy is no exception. She is a businesswoman, a mother, and a wife (in that order!). She takes her job as the 'main breadwinner" very seriously, perhaps a little too seriously to get her home life in order. Kate is constantly going off on business trips and leaving her small children with their nanny, Paula, who Kate is very jealous of.
I didn't relate very much to Kate in terms of motherhood since I have no children. However, I did relate to Kate and that want to succeed that she has. She has the personality that you love and want to succeed. She is funny, successful, jealous, and just a little sad. It angered me how sexist the workplace was in the roles of gender and parenthood. It really brought the light to my eyes.
I think that Pearson did a wonderful job showing the journey that a working mother takes. She lets someone else into her home to raise her kids, she obsesses about her job, she tries so hard to be there for kids, and she lets her marriage slide a little along the way. As a woman who dreams about having a family of her own one-day, I envision what my life will be like. I just hope it is less stressful thank Kate's experiences.
Great book for a first time novelist and I can't wait to read the next book Pearson writes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3