Profile for SteveNikks > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

SteveNikks RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN)

Page: 1 | 2
Regions of Light and Sound of God
Regions of Light and Sound of God
Price: $19.64
29 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl Review - Sounds pristine, February 5, 2013
I purchased the vinyl version of Jim James' Regions of Light and Sound of God and it sounds incredible. A very clean pressing - very little if any excess noise (don't let the first track fool you with the noise added in the studio). The Vinyl edition also includes a download card for the an MP3 version at 192 kbps of the entire album.

In terms of the album itself, it is a masterpiece. It's on the softer/more experimental side; not as much based on guitar as you would get with a lot of My Morning Jacket. Jim has really put together a great album with varied instruments/arrangements.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2013 7:51 PM PDT

Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black
Withings WiFi Body Scale, Black
Offered by MV Discounts
Price: $214.99
8 used & new from $199.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but worth it for your health, December 13, 2011
I've been using the Withings WiFi Body Scale for a little over a week and it has been flawless. WIth a measurement such as your weight, it's important to consistently measure it around the same time everyday, otherwise varying hydration levels and other factors can throw off your weight enough where it's hard to gauge your progress. The simplicity of this scale is what makes it easy to consistently weigh yourself and track the results. I weigh myself every morning before stepping in the shower, and all the weight/body fat/BMI info is instantly uploaded to my Withings account. This is by far the best feature - no matter how drowsy you are in the morning, the software automatically keeps track of your results and you really don't have to think about it.

In terms of the body fat measurement, I've never had this done by a doctor or using a method where I can say I know for sure what my body fat percentage is. However, I have a rough idea and the scale seems to be within that range. More importantly, it has been consistent, with my body fat percentage only varying by a few tenths of a percentage point at the most from a day to day basis.

Yes, the scale is expensive, but when spending money on you're health it's worth it. Just by adding a weight measurement to my daily routine, it has helped me to be conscious of my nutritional choices and level of physical activity. Setup is easy, it works flawlessly and helps remind you of an important health statistic. But it and you won't be disappointed.

Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750
Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750
Price: $49.99
136 used & new from $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you like chiclet keyboards. Works great with Mac, December 8, 2011
I love this keyboard. The unifying receiver is small and doesn't get in the way of other USB devices, it types smooth and the fact that it doesn't need batteries is great. Plus, it looks great on my desk as it is very sleek and stylish.

I like the chiclet keys on this keyboard as that is what I am used to with the macbook air. If you've never used this type of keyboard before, you may want test it out in person beforehand. If you can't find this keyboard in stores, go try any keyboard at an Apple store and you'll get the idea.

The only thing that is keeping me from giving this 5 stars is the fact there is no bluetooth connectivity option. Yes, the unifying receiver is nice and small, but that means you will always be down one USB port when using the keyboard. It would have been nice to at least have bluetooth as an option, but I think the benefits outweigh that limitation.

As an FYI I am using this primarily with a first generation intel Mac Mini and have found it to be completely compatible with OS X 10.7.

UPDATE:
I Have been using this for about a month and am still loving it. As an FYI to Mac users, there is a Mac specific version of this keyboard: Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac - Silver (920-003472)
I was considering returning this for the Mac version, but that would really only be for aesthetics and I got this during a sale. As will all windows specific keyboards, the windows keys map to their Mac counterparts. For example "alt" on Windows = "Option" on Mac.
Also, if you go to Logitech's website and select the K750 Mac version, there is Mac specific software for this keyboard that I couldn't otherwise find listed with the standard K750. This software for example lets you monitor the solar charge remaining in the keyboard. If you are interested in such monitoring tools, I would recommend browsing the product listing on logitech's website for the K750 Mac version.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2013 11:10 AM PDT

Terry Naturally CuraMed 750 mg, 60 Softgels
Terry Naturally CuraMed 750 mg, 60 Softgels
Offered by Quality Natural Products
Price: $48.76
38 used & new from $43.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Seeing benefits of lower inflammation, December 8, 2011
I've been taking three tablets of CuraMed a day and can definitely see an improvement in inflammation related symptoms. This has helped minimize joint soreness and skin issues related to inflammation.

There have been many studies on the benefits of Curcumin, the active substance in Turmeric. Currently, nothing is conclusive with conflicting results, but I have seen benefits personally. If you are looking to lower inflammation, I would suggest trying this in addition to a healthy diet.

Hope this works for others as well.

Kinetic Go Green Glasslock Rectangular 14-Ounce Food Storage Container 6 Piece Set (3 Glass Bodies and 3 Plastic Lids)
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $24.99
3 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for keeping berries fresh in the refrigerator, December 8, 2011
I bought the rectangular 14 ounce set and these are perfect for storing rasberries/blueberries. They're just big enough to store the standard 6-8 oz berry containers you get at the grocery store.

First thing I do when I buy fresh berries is take one of these containers, line it with a paper towel and transfer the berries from the plastic store containers. The paper towel will soak up any excess moisture, which is important because moisture will cause them to spoil quicker. Don't wash the berries when you put them in these containers - only wash them when ready to eat to minimize moisture during storage.

WIth this storage technique, I can get berries to last about a week in the refrigerator. This has been a huge money saver - I minimize carbs so I can eat a small amount each day over the course of a week and none of them go to waste.

I also bought the rectangular 37 ounce set and these work just as well for larger berries, such as strawberries.

I would definitely recommend this product. I've used these storage containers for over a year and after multiple uses/washes it's like they're still brand new.

Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive
Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive
Offered by eDealer
Price: $203.74
8 used & new from $90.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes a 5 year old Mac feel brand new, August 16, 2011
I've been using this SSD for about 2 months in my original Intel Mac Mini from 2006. It is incredibly fast and makes the machine feel brand new; it boots in about 15 seconds into OS X and applications such as Firefox open immediately.

I use OS X (10.6 previously and now 10.7) and Windows 7 Professional on my mini and both Operating Systems are very responsive with this SSD. The Mac has only 2 GB Ram and an upgraded core 2 duo processor but it runs great, which is largely due to the SSD. There is a huge difference between how it performed with the HDD and now with the SSD. Launching applications and browsing the file system is quick and without hiccup.

The one con is it's expensive for the file storage size. But, the tradeoff is worth it in my opinion.

Marshall Major Headphones - Black
Marshall Major Headphones - Black
Offered by in-ear-com
Price: $65.11
33 used & new from $62.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Sound, March 19, 2011
I recently received these headphones and upon opening them I was immediately impressed by the build quality. They felt very sturdy and upon close inspection I am confident they will last long under normal conditions/use. I was also happy in relation to the size of the product; it was very difficult for me to gauge the size of the headphones from the photos. The actual ear cups are a nice size - not too big/bulky and not too small where they would be uncomfortable. I was afraid the plug would be large and be awkward, but it turned out to be the perfect size for plugging into my iPhone. The cord is also a great size and the coil design keeps it under control (this was nice when I used them on the airplane).

In terms of the sound, it is great. I am no audiophile, but I can tell the difference between cheap sound products and quality sound products. I can't say how these compare to high end audio, but I thought they sounded great. I listen to mostly Rock music (classic, alternative, indie) and these sounded great. I however don't know how well these would work for hip hop or other music with lots of bass.

I only have one knock on these headphones, although it is really not in relation to a feature the headphones are designed for. The one knock is that these are not the best for the airplane as they don't have noise canceling, so they don't block out the engine noise very well. To be fair though, these are not designed to be noise-canceling, nor are they marketed to support that feature. They are not any worse than other non noise-canceling headphones I have used.

Overall I really like these headphones. They sound great, remained comfortable for a 3+ hour plane ride and are very stylish too.

WD Elements 640 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive
WD Elements 640 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive
3 used & new from $68.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, Quiet, USB Powered, January 29, 2011
I have been using this drive for the past couple months to perform backups of my system's hard drive every few days. So far I have not found any issues with the drive and have found it to copy everything over perfectly.

I am very pleased with this drive because it is small, it's quiet (I can't hear it at all), and it is USB powered. I don't like a lot of clutter on my desk so the fact it is small and USB powered really helps to keep desk space clear.

I've also hooked this up to both PC and Mac systems and both systems have been able to recognize it properly.

LaCie iamakey v2 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive 131106
LaCie iamakey v2 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive 131106
Offered by SparkElectro
Price: $38.25
4 used & new from $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Portable, Works Well with Xbox 360, January 9, 2011
I had the 1st generation of the LaCie iamakey for a couple years, but it unfortunately stopped working for whatever reason. However, I liked the original so much that I decided to stick with the product family and get this newer "v2" model to replace the original. LaCie is also a well established company so I am confident in their product quality - I wouldn't be surprised if it was my fault the first one broke rather than it being defective.

The first thing that drew me to the LaCie iamakey was the great design. It's small, attractive and functional. I hate carrying a lot of stuff in my pockets and adding this to my keychain added almost no additional bulk. I've used other USB drives and they are often times too thick, resulting in me ending up removing them from my keychain. With this, I can always have it with me without adding much extra bulk. I love how portable it is.

The main way I use this is to store my Xbox 360 profile. This allows me to go to various friends houses and have my profile with me to play games I've purchased and ensure my account gets credited for whatever achievements I may gain. Also, when first setting up the USB drive on the Xbox, the system reports that it meets the recommended requirements for USB storage. This means that you shouldn't see any significant lag or delays when the system is writing to the drive (and I haven't seen any performance issues - it's worked great).

Overall, this is a great USB drive. If you're looking for something that is portable and performs well, look no further.

11 MONTH UPDATE
I've now had this for about 11 months and it is still working well. I only use it maybe 2-3 times a week, so it hasn't been stressed as much as some other reviewers who have reported failed drives. I'm still happy with the drive and actually purchased another one about 6 months ago that is still going strong with light use.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2011 3:11 PM PST

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 3-User [OLD VERSION]
Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 3-User [OLD VERSION]
13 used & new from $13.10

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for security, system performance and user friendliness, December 11, 2010
I have been using Kaspersky on all of my family's computers for over 3 years and it has been nothing but a positive experience. We used to use Norton, but I found it to be too much of a resource hog and not entirely effective. Since switching to Kaspersky we have not had a single virus and I have been very pleased with how little impact the software has on the system resources.

Over the past 3+ years we have primarily used the software with Windows XP. Over the past year or so, it has now also been used on Windows 7 Professional, both 32 and 64 bit. Regardless of the base OS, it has been flawless.

Perhaps the biggest benefit is that I have been able to install this on my parent's PCs, and modify the settings according to their level of technology expertise (very low). This allows Kaspersky to make most of the decisions on virus'/overall system security so I don't get daily phone calls about whether they should quarantine a file or allow the computer to access a file or whatever else.

Overall, from a security/performance/user friendly standpoint, Kaspersky is second to none.

Page: 1 | 2