Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Profile for M. Mcilvoy > Reviews

Browse

M. Mcilvoy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 47

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Mcilvoy "book lover" RSS Feed (Granite City, IL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, Book 1)
The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, Book 1)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cried, August 12, 2015
I liked Chuck. I cried my eyes out when he died. It's sad and intriguing. I recommend this book. Prepare to cry if you like Chuck or Alby though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2015 6:21 PM PDT

Glitch {A Comedy of Errors} (An ABQ.LDS.YSA Novel Book 1)
Glitch {A Comedy of Errors} (An ABQ.LDS.YSA Novel Book 1)
Price: $3.49

2.0 out of 5 stars The reader figures out very early in the book that the main character is in love with her best friend although the author attemp, September 28, 2014
This book was OK but it went on way too long. The reader figures out very early in the book that the main character is in love with her best friend although the author attempts to make the reader think she has feelings for the old high school boyfriend. There wasn't enough suspense on that score and it became annoying that the main character took so long to figure out her feeling and then agonized so long about telling the guy once she had. Some of the other singles were amusing but I could not figure out why the author threw in a 18 year old single friend in the group when most of the other characters were ten or more years older than her. It was kind of weird.

Blue Eyes and Other Teenage Hazards
Blue Eyes and Other Teenage Hazards
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the original, September 23, 2014
Just from reading the reviews and the sample, this looks a re-write of her story Deep Blue Eyes and Other Lies. She has just taken the Mormon story line out for a non-Morman audience. I enjoyed the original.

Mama B - A Time to Speak (Volume 1)
Mama B - A Time to Speak (Volume 1)
by Michelle Stimpson
Price: $6.99
11 used & new from $2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, June 17, 2014
I read Boaz Brown and enjoyed it but I love Mama B. What a wonderful character. How could anyone not fall in love with her? I loved the lessons in the book as well, it was all about God. I just downloaded the next in the series to my iPad and I can't wait to read it. Thanks to technology, I won't have to!!!

The Corinthian (Regency Romances)
The Corinthian (Regency Romances)
by Georgette Heyer
Price: $11.71
44 used & new from $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Georgette Heyer, October 11, 2012
I enjoyed this book; I think anyone who loves Jane Austen would love it. I loved the comedy as they two main characters start on their journey to save Pen from marrying the cousin she doesn't love. The mean characters were clearly mean and the good characters were clearly good. A good, clean fun read.

For Time and Eternity (Sister Wife Book 1)
For Time and Eternity (Sister Wife Book 1)
Price: $9.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, July 31, 2012
I really enjoyed this book although I wasn't sure if I would. I actually read it in one day I enjoyed it so much. I thought the writing was excellent and the author did a great job of explaining how a quiet, young girl, not getting the love and affection at home that she needed, would be willing to run away so quickly with a handsome and charming young man. Young girls, when confronted with romance, seldom think about their previous upbringing. One need only be aware of young girls falling prey to online "romance" to realize this is not a new phenomenon. It is also clear that through the first half of the book Camilla was not really concerned about religion, she was more concerned with being with Nathan and making him happy. It wasn't until tragedy stuck that she began to question her faith, also a common occurrence.

I have seen many reviews stating that the author was wrong in her assertion that in the early Mormon church it was believed it was necessary to practice plural marriage to reach the highest level Heaven. Actually, it is true that this is exactly what was taught and believed, as it is taught and believed in fundamentalist Mormon groups today. Of course, modern Mormons do not practice plural marriage; the practice was ended in 1890 so Utah could be admitted into the Union and to get the US government off their backs. It is true that Mormons believe that people are spirits in Heaven before they are born on Earth just as they believe that Jesus and Lucifer are spirit brothers. They also believe that they can become gods with their own worlds to rule, just as the god in the Book of Mormon used to be a man who achieved that goal with Earth. One need only read unbiased research to learn these facts.

This is a Christian novel so anyone reading it should not be surprised that she is not supportive of the Mormon religion, which is not Christian. I will be reading the sequel to this book.

The Mormonizing of America: How the Mormon Religion Became a Dominant Force in Politics, Entertainment, and Pop Culture
by Stephen Mansfield
80 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting and Informative, July 6, 2012
I just finished this book on my Kindle. I am not a Mormon but for some reason I find it interesting to read about it. This book focuses on two aspects of Mormonism: why Mormons think they way they do about their religion; what is important to them and a brief history of the religion. The author does this in a neutral way, he does not bad mouth the religion but he does not shy away from pointing out some of the criticisms that people have about the religion and that Mormons have not addressed. He points out that as Mormonism becomes more accepted in America, these are issues that will need to be dealt with.

This is a book that anyone could read; one does not need to be a scholar to understand it. At the beginning of each chapter is a short vignette about conversations that have taken place or are taking place in our country today as a means to help the reader understand why Mormons believe as they do.

I do not believe the Mormon religion however I do agree with the author that there are several issues the Mormons need to deal with and answer if they are going to be representing the American people. I would expect this of anyone however, not just Mormons.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2012 9:00 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my first favorites!, February 5, 2012
I read this book when I was still in grade school. I loved it and remember reading it over and over again. It was one of my favorites. I lost track of my copy but thanks to Amazon I was able to find a copy a few years ago and buy it with the same cover that I remembered. I read it as soon as I got it and I still like it, nearly 30 years later. My daughter is reading it now and she loves it so far too.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2012 6:51 PM PDT

Mr. Malcolm's List
Mr. Malcolm's List
by Suzanne Allain
Price: $8.75
44 used & new from $2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Regency Romance, June 6, 2011
This review is from: Mr. Malcolm's List (Paperback)
I recently read this book and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have always liked reading Regency Romances but new good ones are hard to find. A good regency romance should be innocent; filled with romance not sex! This one had likable characters and funny moments. Some of the less likable characters became more likable by the end of the book and that is how it should be in a light romantic novel such as this. I am reading her other book, Incognito. It's not quite as good but certainly not horrible. I will be looking for more books from this author. She has a great sense of humor as evidenced by the novel and her website, which is worth checking out.

Raised by Wolves
Raised by Wolves
by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Price: $11.24
79 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, January 16, 2011
This review is from: Raised by Wolves (Hardcover)
I read this on my nook and I have to say I enjoyed it a great deal. I thought the stories behind the werewolves were interesting and I hope to learn more in the sequels. I liked the main character; I admired her independence. I also found the relationship between Bryn and Callum to be interesting. I would have liked to see a bit more romance between Bryn and Chase but then again it's nice that the author chose to take things very slow. That leaves room for their relationship to grow during the next novels, of which there are scheduled to be more.

As a mother and a teacher I also liked the fact that the author managed to tell an engaging story that held my attention without all the language and sexual content that seems to be thought necessary in so many books these days. (Although, perhaps thanks to Twilight, I see a shift back in the other direction.)

I will certainly read the sequel and look forward to this story unfolding.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5