ARRAY(0xa94e499c)

Customer Reviews: 462

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael DENNISUK "cc coach" RSS Feed (trenton, michigan USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Keeper of Lost Causes: The First Department Q Novel (A Department Q)
The Keeper of Lost Causes: The First Department Q Novel (A Department Q)
by Jussi Adler-Olsen
Price: $9.04
168 used & new from $1.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!!, March 12, 2014
Adler-Olsen's "Keeper of Lost Causes" is an outstanding addition to the crime/thriller genre. It is the first installment in the "Department Q" series and I cannot wait to read the rest. It is always a treat when you discover a new author in this genre that gets it right. Dective Carl Morck of the Coppenhagen police force is a great detective but, like all great detectives in this genre, he has inner demons (think Harry Bosch and Harry Hole). Carl is placed in charge of the newly created Department Q which investigates col cases. The writing is suberb, the plot is well drawn and the characters are realistic and interesting. ENJOY!!!

The Goldfinch: (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
The Goldfinch: (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
by Donna Tartt
Price: $16.95
126 used & new from $15.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, March 5, 2014
With such beautiful prose, I wanted it to be a better book ... I wanted it to be great and it was just ok. I was really hoping this book would grab me and it never did. The writing is beautiful but I never believed the characters. The main characters, Theo and Boris, are damaged goods ... that should be interesting, haunting ... they never felt real to me. There were times when I thought (hoped) the story would take off ... it didn't. The last pages were laborous.

Six Years
Six Years
by Harlan Coben
Price: $7.23
137 used & new from $0.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, February 24, 2014
This review is from: Six Years (Mass Market Paperback)
I am not sure how a book this bad got so many good reviews. This is the worst book I have read in quite some time. Unfortunately, when I was purchasing this book for a flight, I did not have my phone handy to check some of the Amazon reviews before I purchased it. When I read the Amazon reviews I almost took it back but I let the Washington Post review trump the Amazon reviews .... big mistake!!

Now why is this book so bad. The writing is terrible ( how many times can you use the word "beloved"), the characters are very thinly drawn and the plot is ridiculous. Why two stars? I did finish it (even though I wanted to throw it out the window several times) because I wanted to find out what happened (that's a plus). It was a fast read (430 pages in 3 days is pretty quick for me). When I pick up a thriller, I want to be thrilled but I also expect the writing to be passable and this was not. I am very tempted to save you all a bunch of time and throw in a two sentence spoiler but I won't. Save yourself 9 bucks read the first and last chapter and you will get all you need.

My candidate for the Worst Book of the Year .... I hope I don't read anything else this bad.

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism
by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Price: $22.60
170 used & new from $11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, January 28, 2014
Doris Kearns Goodwin has written a brilliant account of the Progressive Movement in the early 1900's. She frames her work using Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft and the "muckraking" journalists at McClure's magazine. It is wrong to think of this as a biography of Roosevelt (Morris' trilogy is the definitive work in my opinion) but it uses his dynamic presence and his relationship with Taft as way to capture a critcal juncture in the growth of the American democracy. The "muckrakers", Sam McClure, Ira Tarbell, Lincoln Steffens, Ray Stannard Baker, and William Allen White serve as a chorus to underline the mood of the country during this struggle.

I knew fair amount about TR before reading this book but my knowledge of Taft was limited. Ms. Goodwin's book helped me develop a new understanding and respect for the man and the circumstances of his Presidency. It gave me a completely different perspective of the hotly contested 1912 election.

Some of the material on the Trust and Tariff legislation was a bit tedious but the rest of the book was enthralling. The material gathered from and about Archie Butt was particularly enlightening. As always, Ms. Goodwin's prose is smooth and easily read. This is an OUTSTANING BOOK!!

Blood Work
Blood Work
by Michael Connelly
Price: $7.19
450 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Connelly Delivers ..., January 19, 2014
This review is from: Blood Work (Mass Market Paperback)
..... like no one else. Warning: this is not a Harry Bosch novel. But don't let that sway you. Connelly introduces us to Terry McCaleb, a retired FBI agent with a heart transplant, reluctantly takes a case that involves his heart donor. The plot is tight, the characters are well drawn and the writing is superb.

Gone, Baby, Gone: A Novel
Gone, Baby, Gone: A Novel
by Dennis Lehane
Price: $8.99
154 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Tight, January 19, 2014
Mr. Lehane delivers. This Kenzie/ Gennaro thriller is outstanding. This is a tightly plotted case of a missing child. As usual the character development and plotting is excellent. A great quick read!

THERA°PEARL Sports pack - Rectangle Bag
THERA°PEARL Sports pack - Rectangle Bag
Offered by beautystoredepot
Price: $11.00
12 used & new from $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, January 19, 2014
.... I mean Cold ... They work ... I have been using them for he last 6-8 months. Good, solid product. It does hat it is supposed to.

The Complete Runner's Day-By-Day Log 2014 Calendar
The Complete Runner's Day-By-Day Log 2014 Calendar
by Marty Jerome
Edition: Calendar
19 used & new from $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold Standard, January 19, 2014
I buy this running log every year. It is the gold standard as far as I am concerned. I have been using this log for the last 30+ years.

Clarks Men's Wave.Venture Oxford,Tan Nubuck,12 W US
Clarks Men's Wave.Venture Oxford,Tan Nubuck,12 W US
Price: $95.28
7 used & new from $95.27

4.0 out of 5 stars What I was looking for, January 19, 2014
The shoes came in a timely fashion. I was able to wear them out of the box. They are a little stiff but that should work itself out in this Michigan winter. Should be a good everyday shoe.

Shame the Devil
Shame the Devil
by George Pelecanos
Price: $6.00
47 used & new from $2.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, January 19, 2014
This review is from: Shame the Devil (Paperback)
This is the first Pelacanos book I have read. It is very well written. The characters are well drawn and he plot is slowly developed. The DC setting makes it hum with authenticity. I loved his integration of music (ala Michael Connelly) to set the tone of the novel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20