Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Sacratomato > Reviews

Browse

Sacratomato's Profile

Customer Reviews: 146

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sacratomato RSS Feed (Northern California)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Dell Inspiron Mini Duo 3487FNT Convertible Laptop/Tablet (Foggy Night)
Dell Inspiron Mini Duo 3487FNT Convertible Laptop/Tablet (Foggy Night)
2 used & new from $335.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Computer, Poor Battery Life, February 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Dell Duo (Atom N550 Processor 1.5 GHz) is a netbook and having a swiveling touch screen doesn't transform it into an IPad killer. That said, except for the battery life, I like the Duo. The Duo is a solid little computer with programs like Word and Excel starting quickly. I don't expect to use programs like Photoshop or Premiere on a netbook, at least not without a lot of cursing. Dell Stage, the touchpad interface, is amazingly slow. Although attractive, it should be disabled as soon as possible. Shoe horning a touch interface into Windows 7 just doesn't work well. So far my experience with battery life has the computer dying before the 2.5 hour mark.

Pro
Solid construction
Nice keyboard
Attractive screen
320 GB of storage
Non-slip surfaces
Good performance (for a netbook)
That cool swiveling screen

Cons
Heavy for a netbook
Touch screen sluggish
Price premium for touch screen
Limited screen view angles
A 3 hour battery and no way to swap batteries? Michael Dell, I'm telling your mother

Right now, I can't see any real use for the touch screen. The first few times I swiveled the screen was a LOT of fun, but I haven't found a killer app for the touch screen. Navigating Firefox using my finger was amusing for about 5 minutes. I did appreciate that if I didn't touch the right spot on the screen, there was a little white crosshair that showed where I DID touch. The touch screen was teaching me how to use it! It was telling me, "Not here, stupid." I still can't tap in the right spot without a stylus, but the little crosshair is quite amusing.

The Dell Mini 1012 netbook sells for $449, weighs a 1/2 pound less and has a claimed battery life of 9.5 hrs. That's 25% cheaper with a 300% better battery life than the Duo. No swivel screen, but the math is compelling.

The Filmmaker's Book of the Dead: How to Make Your Own Heart-Racing Horror Movie
by Danny Draven
30 used & new from $18.19

4.0 out of 5 stars My Genius, Your Money and this Book will create a wonderful movie, February 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the film school student yearning to break out of the classroom and just create something, this should be the first book to buy. It treats the process of making a movie with a low budget (is there any other student movie) with respect and seriousness. A group of students pooling their money need a person like Draven to help organize the shoot. But, a fan of film, will probably enjoy it too as a guide to the nuts and bolts of filmmaking

Even more than the organization of the shoot, Draven shows the interesting minutia of film making from the ground level; short interviews with industry insiders, script samples, shooting schedules, story boards, recommended readings, etc. The interviews are biased more to the nuts and bolts, practical side of movie making and away from the intellectual analytical side. All I can say is, you go Draven!

Draven covers all the details, big and small, that a would-be horror film maker probably wouldn't think about until the week before shooting. Exactly what DO you use for blood and entrails that won't blow the budget and cleans up well? How much of the script should we plan on shooting each day? What's the best way to schedule shooting scenes to maximize the budget? Even I knew that answer; storyboards. This isn't film school dilettantism. It's more of "Everyone moves scenery on this set!"

Kaplan MCAT 2010-2011 Premier (Kaplan MCAT Premier Program)
Kaplan MCAT 2010-2011 Premier (Kaplan MCAT Premier Program)
by Kaplan
70 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs Updating, February 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Kaplan MCAT 2010-2011 Premier provides strategies, along with detailed reviews of the material for the science and verbal reasoning sections. As for the written essays, it provides real examples of essays with their corresponding scores. It also has a full length practice test with answers and detailed explanations. Although the book is more lightweight and is now colored (which makes diagrams much easier to comprehend), the materials and practice exams are the same as the 2007 version.

Clear Silicone Skin Cover for T-Mobile myTouch 4G
Clear Silicone Skin Cover for T-Mobile myTouch 4G
Offered by HandHelditems
Price: $3.99
2 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Get a Grip!, January 8, 2011
Immediately after slipping this skin on my wife's new MyTouch phone, I dropped the phone. Not far enough to damage the innards (I hope), but it could have scratched or marred the surface. Luckily, the cover prevented any cosmetic damage that could be presented as evidence in Wife Court. I have a similar cover on my son's PSP. They both give a very nice surface to grip. The PSP cover still appears as new after two years. It's well known that two years in a teenager's hands is ten years in adult hands.

The cover is described as clear, which is technically correct. But tinted sun glasses are also clear because you can see through them. A more correct description is "milky" clear with a slight white tinge to the silicone. This made my wife happy as her MyTouch is white, I'm not sure how a black or red MyTouch will appear in this cover.

My wife used to slide her phone into a small carry case to protect the screen, but with the skin installed, the phone no longer fits. Besides making the phone a tiny bit larger, the same slightly tacky surface that gives a good grip to the phone, also prevents the phone from sliding into a tightly fitted case. But I'd buy this skin anyway for the protection and grip improvement. Just get a good screen protector and forget any carry case.

Star Island
Star Island
by Carl Hiaasen
Price: $20.17
326 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A resurgent Carl Hiaasen pens a winner, November 27, 2010
This review is from: Star Island (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not to be too contrary, but Hiaasen has kept his usual story motif of black humor mixed with semi-random violence and I liked it. He has recycled (again) some of his more colorful characters and I still liked it. And the reason I enjoyed "Star Island" more so than his past efforts is because those characters are minor supporting characters only; a little color and forced whimsey go a long way. Hiaasen regular cast member former governor Clinton Skink Tyree is thankfully not the main focus of "Star Island". Paparazzi double Ann DeLusia is the center of the story. She is interesting and charming and I wish we could see more of her. Unfortunately, Hiaasen's seemingly rushed epilogue rules that out.

3M Permanent Adhesive File Folder Labels, 0.6 x 3.4 Inches, White, Laser/Inkjet, 750 labels per pack (3300-H)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice High Quality Product, November 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These file labels have the look and feel of high quality paper products and print easily in my HP inkjet printer. A word of warning, there are no "re-do's" with these labels, once you place them on your folder, they are there permanently, with an emphasis on the word permanently.

Panasonic NI-WL600 Cordless Multi-Directional Iron, Stainless Steel Soleplate, Silver/Black
Offered by Gmt Co
Price: $82.00
18 used & new from $59.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Technology Transforms Ironing., November 4, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The owner of this Panasonic cordless iron will probably go out with wrinkled clothes rather than use a traditional wired iron. The owner of a wired iron will probably think what's the big deal? And what an expensive big deal!

There isn't a Iron Expo where all the hot new Iron designs for 2012 are paraded around by lanky super-models in short dresses. Irons are irons. But Panasonic seems to have taken all sorts of ideas and incorporated them into one new iron. Cordless? Check. Fast heating? Check. Removable water tank? Check. Full length button groove? Check. 360 degree ironing? Check. Double ended bottom plate? Check, check, check.

It takes several ironing session to get used to the Panasonic. I kept trying to rest the Iron down on the ironing board between pieces of clothing. After all, years of ironing habits are hard to break. Because of the double ended bottom plate, the bottom of the iron is almost triangular. You WILL put the iron back in the charging base.

The Panasonic heats up unbelievably, incredibly fast. No turning on the iron and then sitting down for a "few" innings of baseball. The bottom plate design is very smooth and omni-directional making the iron very maneuverable. You quickly become accustomed to ironing in all directions without lifting and adjusting the iron's position. It seems like a small thing, but I found ironing much quicker and easier. Actually, I didn't realize how much easier it made ironing until I had to go back to a regular iron. Then I noticed, how quickly I noticed.

The difference between a regular iron and the Panasonic is like the difference between a VCR and Tivo. They both get the job done and the VCR owner is probably still perfectly happy. But when his VCR finally breaks and he gets a Tivo.....oh happy day.

Marantec M3-631 - 315 MHz Wireless Keyless Entry System
Marantec M3-631 - 315 MHz Wireless Keyless Entry System

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, But..., November 4, 2010
I don't like making excuses for products that I purchase. The Marantech Keyless Entry has been very dependable, regardless of the weather, but....

It is easy to program, but, then again, it isn't. In Step One of the programming instructions, your remote is connected with a small four prong wire connector to the Keyless Entry device. Press and hold the button on the remote and press the "enter" key on the Keyless Entry. Punch your new PIN and you're done. But....it doesn't always work.

In Step 3 (!), way down in paragraph eight (!!), are instructions on "Clearing the Memory". Yes, you guessed it, you must clear the memory and then program the Keyless Entry. So programming the Keyless Entry is easy, but...

Tech support from Marantec is extraordinary. I emailed the company from their web site and had a reply that day. And it was a real answer to my question from a real human, not an automated "we got your email, leave us alone" email.

Like most people reviewing the Keyless Entry, my previous keypad wore out from use with the membrane shredded. I could have avoided this problem by changing my PIN every six months or so, to four different numbers. Share the wear and tear on the keypad. I barely remember to change the batteries in my smoke detectors and now I have to remember to change my garage opener PIN? And have everyone in the family learn the new PIN? I like the Marantech Keyless entry but....

Kodak Easyshare P85 8-inch Digital Frame
Kodak Easyshare P85 8-inch Digital Frame
Offered by Granato's Great Finds
Price: $69.94
20 used & new from $32.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Setup, Easy to Use, Good Display, What's not to Like?, October 23, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In the past, I've found Kodak digital products to be just slightly off kilter when it came to set-up and operation. There always seemed to be a slight learning curve. The Easyshare P85 may represent a new wave of Kodak products. The P85 comes with a handy illustrated quick-start booklet, that obviously was NOT translated from the original Chinese or Korean. Three steps and it's up and running. It was very intuitive and obvious. I haven't found any way to adjust brightness or saturation. But as is, the picture is bright and sharp. My frame is sitting in a brightly lit office and the P85 needs every watt of light to display well and it does the job.

With price of USB flash drives dropping like rocks, I loaded every picture I have on a 16GB flash drive. Every one of my boring, hackneyed, self-indulgent photos is now on display to an unprepared public.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2010 8:24 AM PST

Stander Security Pole and Curve Grab Bar - Tension Mounted Floor to Ceiling Transfer Pole & Standing Aid with Multi-Position Safety Support Handle+ Fits ceilings 7-10" + Lifetime Gaurantee, Iceberg White
Price: $145.90
42 used & new from $145.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Are Your Ceilings Perfectly Level?, September 25, 2010
The Standers Security pole is well made and sturdy. It has only a few simple parts to put together. It even looks attractive, which is pretty amazing considering it's size. Despite all that, I had to return mine. If your ceilings are not perfectly level, then the top pole will be at a slight angle when the "H" shaped ceiling base is tightened up against the ceiling. There is no adjustment for pitch or angle. The bottom base also has no adjustment for angle/pitch. So the top pole which is at an angle must be joined to the bottom pole which is vertical. The two poles are attached together with a locking thread ring, there is no adjustment for differing angles. You can feel the threads slightly binding as angled threads meet vertical grooves. The Security Pole will bow in the middle to compensate and the top brace will no longer be completely flat against the ceiling.

My elderly Uncle was a machinist who still appreciates well designed equipment. The first time he saw the Security pole, he looked up suspiciously at the ceiling and poked me with his cane when he saw that the top brace wasn't flat against the ceiling. The bowing in the pole earned me another poke from the cane. But he instantly understood the mechanical reasons for the Security Pole's shortcomings, I know he enjoyed explaining them to me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2015 5:52 PM PDT