Profile for Sacratomato > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 136

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sacratomato RSS Feed (Northern California)
(VINE VOICE)

Price: $39.00
6 used & new from $32.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Scoring is erratic, September 10, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I did not purchase this game from Amazon but downloaded 3D Spades Deluxe 3.3 directly from Freeverse. If anyone can tell me that these are two different versions, I'll delete this review. But they certainly look the same and Freeverse only offers one Spades game for sale on their website. The game play is good, with a nice "from your chair" view of the playing cards. The choices of "puppets" for players and backgrounds is excellent. Letting us choose the skill levels and aggressiveness of each player is outstanding.

But the scoring during solo (non-internet) games was erratic and ultimately destroyed my enjoyment of this otherwise excellent game. In one game, the opposing team bid four and made four books. We bid five and made nine books (yes, very bad bidding). The game declared us "set" and deducted -46 points! 46 points? Another game, the opposing team had a -100 point penalty for too many sandbags AND was deducted -57 points for making their bid of five books with two sandbags. Although I momentarily enjoyed the lead in points that gave my team, it still is very irritating.

Civilian Manila Leather Laptop Sleeve for 13-Inch MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, Black
Price: $36.37
4 used & new from $36.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, August 6, 2010
The Manila-13 is well padded, fits a uni-body MacBook Pro 13" very nicely and the red tie string always gets noticed! The leather is not "buttah" smooth Italian leather, but neither is the price. While the product description on Amazon is accurate, the "V-Neck cut-away design for easy computer retrieval" statement puzzled me. I had to look again at the sleeve and see that, yes, there is a "V". It's very shallow though, less than a 1/2 inch deep. A deeper "V" wouldn't hurt.

I wavered on my star rating for the Manila-13. Four stars because it was in black instead of tan, leather that is more Houston cowhide than Milanese leather. But I gave the Manila-13 five stars because it is exactly what it says it is; well made, well priced. I'm happy I bought it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2010 8:41 AM PDT

Kaplan NCLEX-RN 2010-2011 Edition: Strategies, Practice, and Review (Kaplan NCLEX-RN (W/CD))
by Barbara J. Irwin
79 used & new from $0.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but needs to be teamed with other material, June 24, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Kaplan's NCLEX-RN: Strategies, Practice, and Review is not a comprehensive review book. This book alone is not enough to help you pass the exam. However, this book helps you understand and dissect the question to find out what the real meaning of the question is. The review book comes with a CD, several practice questions, and much more. This book is a MUST have for those preparing for the NCLEX.

American History Revised: 200 Startling Facts That Never Made It into the Textbooks
by Seymour Morris Jr.
Price: $10.69
83 used & new from $2.25

3.0 out of 5 stars For More Than Those Personal Moments, May 20, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book bears a slight resemblance to those "John" books designed to be placed next to the household toilet that have very short amusing articles. But "American History Revised" is much more interesting and deserves a place on your nightstand. It has short fascinating articles with the additional bonus of being educational. It's a bit too disjointed for extended reading in bed or on a plane. It's more a dip here, dip there sort of book. It's as if Cliff Claven could actually tell an historically accurate story.

But here's a friendly warning; don't pontificate at the dinner table and start telling the family fascinating history tidbits. In other words, don't go "Claven" on them. You don't want your children to start rolling their eyes. Let them discover the fun of history by reading "American History Revisited" themselves.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2010 8:20 AM PDT

Among Thieves
Among Thieves
by David Hosp
129 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but flawed, May 20, 2010
This review is from: Among Thieves (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ever read a book and you don't quite enjoy it, can't quite finish it, yet you don't blame the book, you think it's your fault? It's not an "I'm not worthy" moment, but it's just not for you.

That is my situation with "Among Thieves"; I just didn't make a connection with the characters. The premise of the story was wonderful; the long unsolved burglary of Boston's Gardner Museum. The cast of characters was large and "colorful". I use the irritating quotation marks because I thought the "colorfulness" was a bit forced and arch. There was much branching off into myriad side plots that only slowed down an already less than rapid story pace.

As I read the book, the feeling that I was reading the first book in a series kept popping up in my mind. And I started wondering why the author was putting in so much back story into the very first book. Didn't he want to save some of his character's personal baggage for book two or five or (heaven help us) book 32?

I think I may have to read other books by author Hosp. "Among Thieves" didn't really interest me, but Hosp does.

Fodor's Hawaii 2010 (Full-color Travel Guide)
Fodor's Hawaii 2010 (Full-color Travel Guide)
by Fodor's
81 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Fodor's, April 12, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For a travel geek, is there anything better than a warm bed on a cold winter's night and a Fodor's to plan a trip? Fodor's aren't perfect, but as the go-to book for travel basics, they can't be beat. Other books can give the in-depth cultural insights, but if I want to decide on a hotel or learn about public transport, I usually end up with a highlighter, sticky notes and a Fodor's.

The Fodor's for Hawaii continues the trend, if you only have a week on the islands, you don't want to wander around with hungry kids trying to find an authentic "local" restaurant and give up to eat Denny's.

Crest 3D White Luxe Whitestrips Professional Effects - Teeth Whitening Kit 20 Treatments
Offered by ibox
Price: $38.50
43 used & new from $32.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Imagine my surprise, it works!, April 12, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used the old tooth whiting application trays and all the other methods to get my tea drinking teeth whiter, but these strips surprised me. They are quite easy to apply and the first time I removed the strips, I was surprised by how well the strips had adhered to my less than straight teeth Although "see results in three days" is hyperbole, my wife did see the difference after a week of twice a day applications.

Easy to use, visible results, what's not to like? I recommend this product.

A Reckoning For Kings
A Reckoning For Kings

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Book! But not for your Kindle, February 17, 2010
I have two copies of this book, just in case one is lost or damaged, that's how much I love it. I purchased the Kindle edition so I could re-read favorite sections anytime and anywhere; that was a mistake.

This is a book that honors the Vietnam combat soldier, the draftee field grunt, who does his best in an unpopular war. No philosophical officers agonizing over the war; just teenagers handed an M-16 and trying to stay alive. They don't kill babies or rape or pillage. The authors use the word "Kings" in the title and they mean it.

But what sets this book apart is that it alternates between the American side and the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong. It's not a comic book drawn in blacks and white. And unlike some other popular "war" book series, none of our heroes is a multi-millionaire or if they were born poor, they didn't marry a young woman with a millionaire father. The combat scenes are detailed and aren't glossed over.

It's so sad that the Kindle version of this marvelous book is marred by so many typos that a first time reader might delete it in irritation. There's usually at least one typo on each page, often two and sometimes THREE in a single sentence:

"Mosby watching the muzzle come back toward him, his own rifle coming up far too slowly, and mem (sic) Pritche (sic), bellowing like a bull in heat, buried the Made (sic) of his entrenching tool in the back of the man's neck....."

I'd recommend new readers buy the paper edition of "A Reckoning for Kings". The Kindle version will eventually wear you down with the innumerable typos.

Broken Jewel: A Novel
Broken Jewel: A Novel
by David L. Robbins
95 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Two Stories Make For A Single Slow Story, January 28, 2010
This review is from: Broken Jewel: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wonder where the audience is for "Broken Jewel". The setting should appeal to WWII military buffs who enjoy authors like Jeff Shaara, but it moves much too slowly. There is a lot of detailed information about the Japanese "comfort women", probably too much for readers interested in combat history. Author Robbins obviously has a lot of justified outrage at the moral horror of "comfort women". The Japanese government will still not admit to the mass degradation of thousands of helpless women.

But the melding of the greatest military rescue in WWII with the absolute evil of the "comfort women" is an uneasy fit. And the "happy" ending is simplistic to the point of being juvenile and is unworthy of the rest of the novel.

Omron HBF-510W Full Body Composition Monitor with Scale
Omron HBF-510W Full Body Composition Monitor with Scale
Price: $56.57
65 used & new from $53.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Small Learning Curve, Good Results, January 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was surprised and pleased with the Omron HBF-510W. I always doubted that any reasonably priced home scale could provide accurate body mass indexes, but I used the Omron for 6 weeks and then had my annual checkup; very close, very close indeed!

Having a scale that needed an instruction manual made me smile. Modern life has made us inured to devices that require instructions more complex than, "Plug in your new coffee maker". But a scale? But the instructions are well written and not hard to follow and the results are very helpful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14