Profile for RC > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RC RSS Feed

Salomon Men's Snowtrip TS WP Winter Shoe
Salomon Men's Snowtrip TS WP Winter Shoe
Price: $116.42 - $130.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good boot for casual use, April 4, 2011
My family moved to a colder climate and I needed a boot that would do reasonably well in snow but could also double as a street boot. I've used this boot for over 6 month and have been very happy with it. The main selling point for me was that it doesn't look like an imposing heavy hiking boot. I can use it as an all around pair of boots.

My only complaint is that when I am in deep snow for longer periods, my toes do get cold. You should expect to use some thick socks along with this boot. I would say that if you are looking for a boot that will see some heavy and rugged use, then I would get a better quality boot. However, if you need something for casual use then this is an excellent choice.

Pretika SonicDermabrasion Facial Brush
Pretika SonicDermabrasion Facial Brush
Offered by Super Duper Deals
Price: $29.76
9 used & new from $29.76

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT USE IN THE SHOWER, April 3, 2011
My wife was distraught when this device stopped working. I decided to tear it open to see what might be wrong before committing to buying a more expensive brand. Once I got it open it was pretty obvious what had happened. There was condensation inside the device. My wife used this for 10 months without a problem, then she said she had just used it in the shower for the first time. BINGO! I actually got it to work again once I let the insides dry out, much like drying a cellphone after dropping it in a pool. It's a lot uglier now after I tore it open, but it works.

If you have symptoms like the thing beeping incessantly, the device not turning on or off properly, rust, etc. then you probably had some water get into the device.

Bottom line: DO NOT USE IN THE SHOWER regardless of what the manufacturer says. The seals are not adequate.

Lost Cities Board Game
Lost Cities Board Game
8 used & new from $59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for casual games nights, November 3, 2010
This review is from: Lost Cities Board Game (Kitchen)
I was looking for something for my wife and I to play together. I didn't like seeing us retreat into our respective computer "caves" once the kids went down to sleep. I picked this game up, along with a couple of others, as our first foray into the world of euro games.

*game-play*
The game is basically a management style game. If you can imagine overseeing several archeological expeditions, each lobbying for funding, then you can see yourself in the role of deciding which expeditions get priority based on how much profit they can bring you. You place your tokens on up to five different paths. You advance your tokens by playing cards on card stacks corresponding to each path. You play cards in ascending order from zero to ten. The further you can advance your tokens, the more points you get. Don't advance them far enough and you actually lose points. There are also events on each path that grant more points or additional opportunities for advancement. You can think of the game as five simultaneous "races." That's the game in a nutshell.

*strategy*
The interesting element about this game is that you don't have to build your card stacks in consecutive order. You only have to play cards that are of equal or higher value. If you have a "1" on one of your card stacks, you could play a "7" on it if that's the lowest card you have in your hand. You'll get to advance your token but the trade-off is that you now have less potential cards that you can play on that stack making further advancement that much harder. This one dynamic is what really makes this game shine. It's always a decision as to whether to play the cards in your hand now or wait a few more turns hoping to get better cards. Move too quickly and you risk running out of gas too soon allowing the other players to move past you. Move too slowly and other players may gobble up points along the path before you do. I've observed many instances where either me or my wife take several seconds just staring at our cards trying to decide what to do. The strategy of the game is fairly simple but it's balanced very well with the luck factor so that it's not always obvious as to what the "right" move is.

*board game version*
There is a card version of this game which I haven't played so I can't comment on that. What I can say is that having a board as a shared playing area adds some nice elements. It's more than just a visual representation of your card stacks. There are "event tiles" on each path that can be taken or activated for extra points and additional moves. You also have a special "researcher" token that doubles the points gained or lost on the path that token is placed on. These elements help add to the game's strategy. Seeing your tokens move in relation to other player's tokens also adds some exhilaration to the game as it feels like you're racing other players. The main drawback of the board version is that there are a lot of pieces that are hard to keep track of and a bit tedious to setup. This is mostly due to the 25 event tiles that you have to place on the board for each round.

*summary*
This is a fun game that can be played as a couple or as a group of four. The game is easy to learn and the strategies are simple but engaging. This is great for nights when you feel like playing something light and casual.

DLO Leather Holster Case for iPhone 3G, 3G S (Black)
DLO Leather Holster Case for iPhone 3G, 3G S (Black)
Offered by aSavings
Price: $12.50
2 used & new from $12.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Clip, October 1, 2010
The belt clip on this product is too stiff. If you try to force it you can easily rip the clip from the case. I use this case with an iphone 4 that has a pixel skin bumper. The phone fits, but somewhat snugly. Unfortunate, because this is an otherwise excellent case. But if you are looking for something that is going to see heavy use it might be worth it to spend a few more dollars because you will be fighting with this case every time you put it on your belt.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2010 12:23 AM PST