Profile for D. Houston > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 394

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Houston "Legal Eagle" RSS Feed (Louisville, KY USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dickies KHAKI Big Boy's Flexwaist Slim Stretch Pant, Desert Sand, 14/Regular
Dickies KHAKI Big Boy's Flexwaist Slim Stretch Pant, Desert Sand, 14/Regular
Price: $14.28
3 used & new from $13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pair of pants, November 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have 7 grand children, 4 are boys. We have had good experience with the Dickies brand with the boys for years. The pants hold up well despite the active nature of the boys. What I like best about this particular pair of pants is the reinforced knees. I also like the fact the pants are wrinkle resistant. These pants come with an adjustable waist, which is helpful given the way boys grow. The pants appear quite durable and in all the years we have been using Dickies brand clothing we have never had any rip apart on us at the seams. I also liked that the zipper appears to be metal not plastic. As for size issues these pants are so called "slim fit" straight leg and fit the grandson well for now.

McAfee Internet Security 2015  - 3 PCs
McAfee Internet Security 2015 - 3 PCs
Price: $27.26
11 used & new from $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it so far, November 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to start by saying I am an average computer user. I have no great knowledge about computers, just that they enable me to do a lot of things faster than I could in the days when computers were the size of pick up trucks. I have learned the hard way about viruses and spyware however and so for many years now I have been using the free Avast anti-virus software. And I have not had any problems with the free Avast software. Avast also of course has paid versions that offer more bells and whistles than the free versions. On my newest computers, running Windows 7 and 8.1, I have been using the Windows Defender product. No known problems with that, but I saw some articles in PC Mag comparing anti-virus products various features and so I wanted to give McAfee a test drive.

Because I am not a computer or anti-virus expert I cannot say and do not say this McAfee Internet Security 2015 is the best product out there. I simply have no way to test that myself and it appears from various tech related publications that there are plenty of independent labs doing that. Google "best antivirus programs" and you will see what I mean. What I can say is that this McAfee Internet Security 2015, at its current listed price of $31.23 for protection of up to 3 PCs, is competitive in price to other paid programs.

My 4 star review is based mainly on features and ease of use. I found it quite easy to download and install this product as well as to activate it on 2 of my PCs, one running Windows 7 the other running Windows 8.1. I do like many of the features. Antivirus, anti spyware, real time protection, firewall, parental controls, updates not only of the McAfee software but also Windows updates, a shredder for getting rid of sensitive documents, spam email protection, scheduled scans, manual scans, and so on. I am confident more info on the product is available on the McAfee site.

What I like best however is the Home Network feature that shows me all the devices on my network and whether they are on or off (it also gives you the ip address of the device and its mac address). The reason I like this feature so much is that it enables me to monitor who is using the network and when with what device. I actually used to buy a separate program for this. This feature allows me to see if the grand kids upstairs are really in bed or if they are using the Wii or their smartphones or whatever instead of sleeping. It also allows me to see quick if some new unauthorized device has attached to the network.

Given my lack of a crystal ball I cannot foresee what if any problems I will have with this product in the future. But if I do have problems I will come back and update this review.

Vornado SRTH Small Room Tower Heater, White
Vornado SRTH Small Room Tower Heater, White
Price: $52.79
2 used & new from $46.59

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, November 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this Vornado SRTH Small Room Tower Heater to add some warmth to a small bathroom off our guest bedroom. This is a small unit just a little over 12 inches tall. It is adequate to add some warmth to our bathroom but I doubt it would work well in larger rooms, like a master bedroom. The unit does have tip-over protection and the controls on the top of the unit are very basic. Off, fan only and 2 heat settings. It also comes with a 4 hour timer built in. The Vornado logo on the front marks the center of the circulation so you use the logo to aim. The unit does indeed have a cool touch case and also has overheating protection in addition to tip-over protection. I like the 5 year warranty. The unit is also very quiet. No complaints here. I give the unit 4 stars because while I like it, there is nothing about it that fascinates me. It is just a simple space heater that does a good job in small spaces (like in our guest bathroom or perhaps under a desk at home or office).

3M DS-C10 Self-Adhesive Door Sweep, 36-Inch, Clear
3M DS-C10 Self-Adhesive Door Sweep, 36-Inch, Clear
Price: $13.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect for us, November 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using 3M products for decades. I got this self adhesive door sweep to seal off just under a 1/2 inch gap on an indoor wood door that separates the stairway leading to my second floor office from the first floor. With that gap we were constantly getting drafts and sometimes odors from the first floor into the stairway leading up. This product effectively sealed the gap and has eliminated the drafts and reduced the odors. The product was very easy to install. You simply cut it to the width of the door it is to be installed on (if less than 36 inches wide), make sure the door edges where the adhesive will stick are clean and stick the sweep to the door. Works great, no problems, no complaints. 5 stars. Highly recommended.

TP-LINK TL-WA854RE N300 Universal Wireless Range Extender, Wall Plug, Plug&Play, Smart Signal Indicator Light
Price: $27.99
60 used & new from $25.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basic range extender, November 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used TP-LINK products before with few if any problems and so I wanted to test this TL-WA854RE Range Extender. My problem was simple. The wireless network signal in my home is perfect except for the northwest corner of the house. Not quite a dead spot, but a weak spot with only 2-3 bars (on a 5 bar scale) signal strength while the rest of the house is 5 bars. This was a problem for me as I have a small home office in the weak northwest corner and I often try to do video conferences via Skype there. Best I could ever get there was 3 bars out of 5 on signal strength and if the signal strength dropped to 2 bars I started having problems with my video conferences.

In any event I installed this TP-LINK TL-WA854RE range extender about mid-way between the main router and the weak spot and all of a sudden I have 5 bars of signal strength where I never had more than 3 before. So I am thrilled. No drop outs so far and no complaints. I will of course come back and update this review if that changes.

As for installation it was very simple. Set up is extremely easy using method 1 if you have WPS. Just push a couple buttons and you are done. I have WPS at the office but not at my house. So I had to use method 2 and do the set up in my browser. But it was very easy. And if by chance you mess up you can reset this product using a paper clip and the small reset button hole in the bottom, and start over. You should also change the log in for the web management interface and add your own user id and password from the defaults, which are admin and admin.

Another thing you should do when setting this up is to make sure you have the latest firmware installed. Upon checking the device and the TP Link web site I did discover I needed to update the firmware and I did. Another thing I should mention is that this particular product (TL-WA854RE) does not have either an Ethernet port or or an AC pass through. If you need those extra features TP Link does make other products that offer them, but they tend to be more expensive. This TL-WA854RE model I am reviewing is about as basic a range extender as you can get. I now have 5 bars in a corner of the home that usually never got more than 3. 5 bars = 5 stars.

Danica Studio Shower Curtain, Umbrellas
Danica Studio Shower Curtain, Umbrellas
Price: $59.99
3 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best shower curtain I have ever seen, November 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fantastic high quality shower curtain. We love it and will be buying some different patterns for the other showers in our other bathrooms. The cotton feels great and I like the fact the curtain is machine washable. And with so many different designs available it is hard for us to pick a favorite (this review is of the Umbrellas design). The price (currently listed at $60) seems high for a shower curtain, but frankly all I have ever seen until now are plastic or vinyl curtains and these Danica curtains are far higher quality than those. No complaints. 5 stars.

Disney Minnie Mouse Glitter Music and Lights Walker, Pink
Disney Minnie Mouse Glitter Music and Lights Walker, Pink
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $69.99
3 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this walker!, November 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although this product is easy to assemble I found I needed a Phillips screwdriver and pair of pliers to get it done. You will need a Phillips screwdriver to remove the battery cover on the music ball and insert 2 AA batteries. I used long lasting lithium ultimate batteries as I do not want to be doing this often (changing the batteries). You will also need a Phillips screwdriver to fasten the music ball to the activity tray (3 screws are included). As for pliers, I needed those as the back of the seat is fastened to the body (to support the baby) with 4 straps with plastic buckles. You draw the straps and buckles through slits in the plastic and then lock the buckles. My problem was that I have big hands and fingers and thus had a hard time pulling the straps and buckles through the slits. So I did that with aid of pliers no problem and all is fine.

The product does come with instructions and you will want to read those first before attempting assembly.

I like the product. My great grand daughter loves the product. She likes the lights and music and all the colors. And pink of course is her favorite color for now. I found the product to be very sturdy, much to my surprise. Does not tip over easily. The seat height is adjustable and the product can be folded up for storage. No complaints. 5 stars.

Green Toys Elephant-on-Wheels, Grey/Purple
Green Toys Elephant-on-Wheels, Grey/Purple
Price: $12.76
20 used & new from $7.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice safe toy for younger children., November 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great toy for very young children, although small. It measures less than 7 inches long and less than 4 inches tall. The toy appears very safe for younger kids, with rounded edges and nothing sharp. The wheels appear very firmly attached but without metal axles and of course the toy rolls. I like that the toy has no BPA, phthalates, or PVC, and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. Also no batteries. Great grandchild loves it. No complaints.

Plum Organics Baby Hello Morning, Blueberry, Banana and Quinoa Oatmeal, 5 Count (Pack of 6)
Price: $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Product fine but price seems too high, November 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tried this "Plum Organics Baby Hello Morning, Blueberry, Banana and Quinoa Oatmeal" myself and I find it bland to my taste. My great grand son (about 13 months) likes it, my great grand daughter does not. I believe my great grand daughter would prefer the apple, cinnamon flavor. So we will buy that for her and check that out just to see. You can also add your own fruit. I like that this product is extremely easy to prepare. Empty the packet into a heat safe bowl, add some boiling hot water and stir, wait for a minute and serve. The packets also come with microwave instructions if you want to go that route. I deduct 1 star however as the price seems high at $24.91 (current listed price) or $0.83 per packet (5 packets in a box, 6 boxes). Other than the price I have no complaints.

Mrs. Mays Fruit and Nut Toppers, Blueberry Almond, 4-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Mrs. Mays Fruit and Nut Toppers, Blueberry Almond, 4-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Price: $20.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but price seems high, November 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like almonds. I like blueberries. This snack combines both. I put them on ice cream and I also eat them directly from the bag. I have also added them to my cereals. I do not like them on my salads, but personal taste preferences differ from person to person. Might be perfect for you; just not me. My only complaint is the price seems high (currently listed at $20.79 for a pack of only 6). I am deducting 1 star on the high price. Otherwise this is a great product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20