Profile for A. Boston > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 704

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Boston RSS Feed (Winchester, CT)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Classic Accessories 55-257-031001-00 Belltown Grill Cover, Medium, Grey
Classic Accessories 55-257-031001-00 Belltown Grill Cover, Medium, Grey
Price: $34.00
3 used & new from $34.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice lightweight cover, September 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had 2 other grill covers that were in shambles within a season, so we'll see how this holds up. So far, I love the rip cords at the bottom to pull it in so the cover doesn't get stuck on the wheel when I'm moving the grill. That's how my last one ripped. While this seems very light weight, the material appears to be very durable. Being lighter means it's easier to get on and off for grilling also, which I like. A canvas one I had was a beast to remove all summer long. On the whole, I really like this. If it doesn't tear and rip, I'll love it!

Boone Blue Canoe Crib 2 Paddles Hanger
Boone Blue Canoe Crib 2 Paddles Hanger
Price: $57.95
2 used & new from $57.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent space saver!, August 29, 2014
My 14ft, 75lb canoe was taking up the majority of my small one car garage. This was the perfect solution to get it off the floor and reclaim the space! Only took a few minutes to put the hooks up. We did need to switch out the screws as the ones included jammed and got stripped so they were useless. Otherwise, perfect in everyway! Holds my canoe securely, I'm not at all worried about it which is great. Takes 2 people to put it up and get it down off the wall but is really an excellent space saver.

Misfit Shine - Activity and Sleep Monitor (Jet)
Misfit Shine - Activity and Sleep Monitor (Jet)
Offered by H&H Deals
Price: $99.99
22 used & new from $75.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Motivational but inaccurate, August 26, 2014
I go hiking with my dogs whenever the weather is nice and also hit the gym 2-3 times a week, so I thought this would be cool for motivation and to track my improvements. I also have a really hard time getting a good night's sleep, so I wanted to see what was happening there as well. A big update that deserves a mention: the shine app now syncs with the my fitness pal app and Lose it! app. I know that was a big con for many and I think its a very recent update.

The shine doesn't seem as accurate as I was hoping for. Just putting the battery in and syncing it to my iphone 5s, it told me I'd gone 56 steps when I hadn't even gotten up and crossed a room. Hopefully this is just because you tend to move it more as you get it set up, and isn't indicative of normal use/overtracking. I also had a really hard time putting the battery in. They include a tool for you to pop the back off, but that tool is also very good at scraping the shine. My 'jet' black shine now has little silver scrapes from where I struggled with getting the backing off. It was a pain in the neck and I'm not happy I already marked up my new toy. Now that I know how the paint scrapes, I would definitely have gotten the silver one instead of the black. Otherwise, I do like that it takes CR2 batteries instead of needing to be charged, big plus.

Experience so far wearing it in different locations:
Ankle: I started using it on my ankle in the wrist strap on my hikes and at the gym to see if that is what most accurately tracks movement. I've tested it against a pedometer I've worn that I know is very accurate(we actually spent a lot of time counting steps in the past and checking to see if the pedometer was correct). The shine tracked almost 400 more steps on a long hike then my bare bones pedometer did. A bit over ambitious in the count.

In my pocket: I found this to be as effective as on my ankle for the most part. It does still overtrack when I'm hiking by a few hundred steps, and at the gym it tracks less than my treadmill useage. I would think a treadmill is pretty seriously accurate when it says you've done 2 miles but the shine says I only did 1.7

Wrist: I tested it at the gym wearing it in the band doing a mile and 1/2 on the treadmill. The shine only tracked that I did about .6 of a mile which made me crazy, as I should have hit my daily goal with that 1.5. I think it tracks walking only when you're swinging your arms, the times I was holding onto the heart rate monitor on the treadmill it didn't count. Also, when sleeping I wake up and I've already tracked over 200-300 steps? This is not a fluke, it's every morning. I must be a crazy multi-tasker, walking in my sleep. I assume it's tracking my arm movement, but that shouldn't count as steps when it's also showing that's when I was asleep. Next I'm going to try keeping it in my pocket or attached to my waistband, but overall the experience at the gym and tracking steps in my sleep has me on the verge of returning it. I can understand a blip here and there of a few steps, but hundreds is not ok.

It did track the time I went to sleep(wearing it on my wrist) and woke up to the minute, so that's on point. Sadly, within my 9 hour goal, it says I usually only have between 2 and 1/2 to 3 hrs and 45 minutes of restful sleep. Yikes!

I may invest in the misfit socks(if I decide to keep the shine)that I saw on their website if this grows on me because it seems most accurate for my activity to wear it on my ankle. The big reason I haven't gotten those socks is because I wanted white or the option for 2 sets of grey, not black and grey. So far I'm 50/50 on the love or hate scale. The app is ok, but it's not stellar, though it does seem to update pretty often. I've found syncing to be temperamental. Sometimes it recognizes the shine sitting in the circle on the screen, other times it says "syncing failed". I would like more details in the sleep cycle part of the app as well, without buying that beddit thing. Honestly, this is just a fancy motivational tool because my 5 dollar dinky pedometer is more accurate than the shine. I'm going to keep using the shine and update my review as time goes on, but so far I'm a little underwhelmed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2014 8:32 AM PDT

Mackie CR4 4-Inch Creative Reference Multimedia Monitors (Set of 2)
Mackie CR4 4-Inch Creative Reference Multimedia Monitors (Set of 2)
Price: $149.99
5 used & new from $141.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer monitors!, August 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These monitors are amazing! I usually lean towards using really good headphones to pick up every nuance and really LISTEN to music, but these gave a similar fun experience for me, I really heard all the instruments in some of my favorites.

We have another set of very high end monitors and these are comparable, but for a lot less. They provide a deep low end with a lot of warmth to the overall sound, which I would think is attributed to the all wood cabinet. Easy to set up and I like that the headphone jack is in front to plug in my iphone. All the connecting cables needed get started immediately are in the box. They all had a good amount of length as well, I hate when wires are too short.

These would be a welcome addition to any home and doesn't need to be reserved for audiophiles, since the price makes them great for anyone.

Philips SC1981/50 Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System, White
Philips SC1981/50 Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System, White
Price: $249.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed so far, August 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've previously tried the Remington IPL6000USA I-Light Pro, Professional IPL Hair Removal Systemand didn't really get any results. When I saw this, I considered that there might be something a little more up-to-date technology wise that would make it work better, so I figured I'd give it a go.

This one is a lot more compact, as the remington was attached to a larger piece via a cable. That made it harder to store, especially if you have limited space, so I really liked that bout the Philips model. This is just the body with a wire for power. I was impressed that it doesn't need any bulb replacements, as I've heard those can be very pricey. On the whole though, this one doesn't feel like it's really doing as much as the Remington did. On 5, the Remington would sting a bit, just like a rubberband snap. This one doesn't hurt at all. It seems to produce the same amount of light, but with less intensity. The Remington also felt like it had to gather juice in between, but this will just go one after the other if you hit the button. This one also has less bells and whistles. In order to start the Remington, you had to press your finger to to it to get it started, then it would beep before shooting at your skin. This one doesn't do any of those things. For the same price bracket, they're almost the same machine, though I really don't think either of these is worth more than 100 bucks. I suppose only time will tell.

On top of that, you cannot use it on tanned skin(or any skin tone more than a fair-to-medium with dark hair). I'll have to wait for winter to get a more overall feel and review of this, since I can only use it on places right now that don't see the sun. I'll keep trying it and updating my review as time goes by.

Spectrum 56377 Over The Cabinet/Drawer Grid Basket, Large, Satin Nickel
Spectrum 56377 Over The Cabinet/Drawer Grid Basket, Large, Satin Nickel
Offered by Get Organized
Price: $17.98
2 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, August 14, 2014
This works well inside my cabinet under the sink. Only thing you have to consider is if you have a lot under there, it needs to go back farther to accommodate this basket. Otherwise, it works well and I like using it to hold spray cleaner and paper towels for easy access.

John Varvatos Vintage By John Varvatos For Men. Eau De Toilette Spray 4.2 Oz.
John Varvatos Vintage By John Varvatos For Men. Eau De Toilette Spray 4.2 Oz.
Price: $36.81
44 used & new from $36.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Woodsy and masculine, August 14, 2014
I had bought a fragrance sampler as a gift last year from a high end beauty store, which was awesome. It gave my boyfriend the opportunity to try out about 15 different men's fragrances, so that we could determine which one works with his body chemistry and was pleasing to both of our noses together. It actually turned out to be a pretty awesome gift and was a lot of fun. That particular gift set came with a voucher for a full size one of his choice, and in the end we had trouble deciding. This John Varvatos was our second choice, so I made sure to add it to my amazon list as a future gift.

This not only smells amazing, the price buying for the 4.2 oz direct from amazon(I wouldn't buy from a 3rd party seller, personally) was unbeatable! It was the same bottle and box as I saw in the store. Buying this at Sephora or Ulta, it's about $75 bucks, so I was a huge fan of the price here. I would say this fragrance would span a variety of ages. We're in our early 30s, and it really suits him well. It's woodsy and rich, a bit mysterious. The notes are Ashwood, Tonka Beans, Santolina, Madras Wood, Quince Paste, Oak Moss, Silver Absinthe, White Lavender, Marine Fennel, Cubeb Peppers, Tobacco Leaf, Juniper Berries, Jasmine, Orris Root, Patchouli, Fir Balsam & Suede. A really delicious, masculine scent. He alternates between this and a more aquatic fragrance depending on his mood. This is definitely my favorite of the two he uses. When he first started testing it out, I thought it might be too old for him, but after getting used to it, I really favor this scent. He sprays 1 spritz in the morning and when he comes home after work I can still smell it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!

Mistress of Night and Dawn (The Eighty Days Series)
Mistress of Night and Dawn (The Eighty Days Series)
by Vina Jackson
Price: $12.72
34 used & new from $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars too much erotica, not enough depth, August 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For me this was more 50 shades of grey with a teeny splash of The Night Circus. All I kept thinking was "softcore circus".... It has some magical elements, but on the whole was a bit too much erotica. When I ordered it after reading the synopsis, I didn't realize this would fall under the erotica category at all and not only that, but it's book six in a series. I thought it was straight up fiction/romance, especially by the synopsis - which in the end I think was very misleading. If you're aware of what you're getting into and looking for some kink, you'll probably like this. Jackson is very adept at painting a rich, vivid picture of every scene with her words. The characters are interesting but overall it's very shallow. I didn't get any real passion or heart out of it. I wouldn't continue on with anything else in the series.

SodaStream 1018111017 Fizz Home Soda Maker, Red
SodaStream 1018111017 Fizz Home Soda Maker, Red
Offered by It's All For the KIDS!
Price: $119.99
5 used & new from $119.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 and 1/2 stars: Just what I needed with one issue, August 5, 2014
I've been loving seltzer water with a splash of white grapefruit balsamic vinegar and some frozen pineapple - sounds weird, but so good! - especially when it's hot. I tend to get hungry an hour or two before dinner and found this concoction curbs my appetite till it's time for a real meal, no more mindless snacking.

I don't drink soda so I'd dismissed the idea of a SodaStream for a long time. But once I started with the fizzy water, this came to mind. I read a lot about the different models and wanted one that would show me the levels of the Co2 so I'd know when to replace it. I was considering both this model and the Pure, but got this because of the screen, even though I was strongly leaning towards the Pure because of the stainless body. In the end, I picked this one in black for the level monitor and price(from a big box store, it was under $70) over aesthetics. It's just what I needed. Easy to set up and I had my fizzy seltzer within 5 minutes of the box arriving. I'm still learning how many lever pushes will get my fizz preference, but it'll be perfect once I do.

The only problem I'm having is the screen for monitoring the fizz level and co2. It wasn't working so I called Sodastream and they sent me a new one, since it's just a little chip that pops in and out. This one is exactly the same, it's not showing the arrow for the fizz level and doesn't seem to be changing the fill of the co2 levels either. I did get this at a good price so I'm living with it, but if I'd paid over 100 bucks, this would be making me crazy!

Traditional Medicinals Herbal Tea, Dandelion Leaf and Root, 16 Count, (Pack of 6)
Price: $26.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, July 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've heard a lot about dandelion tea lately and was looking forward to trying it. I really haven't met a tea I don't enjoy, I love a good cup in the fall especially. This organic dandelion is very light, floral and earthy. I think its had a positive effective on my digestion which can be finicky at times as well. I love that each bag is sealed, so it's very fresh each time. I would definitely buy this again!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20