Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Theresa W > Reviews

Browse

Theresa W's Profile

Customer Reviews: 645

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Theresa W RSS Feed (mi, usa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Eclipse (Twilight)
Eclipse (Twilight)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $13.96
2458 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A review not from a tween, February 28, 2009
This review is from: Eclipse (Twilight) (Hardcover)
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a TWEEN. So, perhaps my opinion may not matter to most of you, as I'm reading this series from an adult's perspective (30 something). However, I will share my thoughts, as I always do here on Amazon.

While I felt Twilight was decent, New Moon was much improved, Eclipse was disappointing for me. While again I think the writing has improved VERY much since the 1st book in the series, I just felt this one sort of lacked....something. I guess after spending all of this time reading the first two books, I was hoping this book might finally move at a faster pace and bring us where we all suspect this is going, Bella becoming a vampire. However, nearing the climax, I felt again, let down. I mean, come on, I think this makes something like 1500 pages read...and I feel like I was still waiting for I thought what would happen in book one.

I guess now it's on to Breaking Dawn, to see where that will leave us, and I hope give us readers a pay off!

The Solitaire Mystery: a novel about family and destiny
The Solitaire Mystery: a novel about family and destiny
by Jostein Gaarder
44 used & new from $1.64

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is nothing if not unique!, February 28, 2009
I see that I am the only person to review this book, so I will try to give a bit more description than I might normally do.

I picked up this book as it was our book club's selection for the month. It was slow going at first, but I ended up really liking the ingenuity of this book! Very creative and I can say I've never read anything like it. I was probably about 1/3 of the way in where it really hooked me.

As father & son travel across Europe searching for their lost mother/wife, a mystery begins before their very eyes. Much like Alice in Wonderland we are in the middle of a strange quest. We see dwarfs, unbelievable items like rainbow punch, a tiny magnifying glass along with a small manuscript plays a major roll in the story, we read of lost lands where the unimaginable seems to be true- ie. a walking, talking deck of cards. You can't help but wonder where this will all lead us in the end!

I'll admit this was a hard sell at first because I don't care for fantasy books, but The Solitaire Mystery was interesting enough that I kept on reading to see what was going to happen. Plus, the characters pulled me in as well. Overall, I'd say well done to the author and consider reading more books by him.

Lipstick Jungle
Lipstick Jungle
by Candace Bushnell
Price: $14.39
334 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars First Foray into Bushnell, February 28, 2009
This review is from: Lipstick Jungle (Paperback)
Lipstick Jungle was my first foray into Candace Bushnell's writing. After watching the TV show Lipstick Jungle it was interesting to read the book and see where the characters "came from" and what they were in their "original sense". A few interesting changes in the book and storylines. I think the show actually packs some better punches though in the drama department.

Overall a pretty good chick-lit, woman's fiction book. I'd definitely consider reading more of her's, but I do wonder if perhaps the TV adaptations are good enough. I loved Sex & The City, I worry to read it, would it disappoint?

New Moon (The Twilight Saga)
New Moon (The Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $8.60
2980 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars The writing improves in quality with New Moon, February 28, 2009
First let me say that I am not a TWEEN, so reading this book from an adult perspective, I'm sure affects how I view this book. In my 30's, I read book club type books, but I heard so many good things about this series from friends, I had to see what the fuss was about!

Book one, was ehh, for me. It was a decent read, but I didn't get HOOKED like so many people. However, I will say with this second installment,I really got into the characters more than I did in Twilight. I am enjoying Jacob's character as well and he adds an interesting dimension to the story. I know this seems to be the less popular thought, but oh well. For whatever the reason, I got into this book more than the first.

More importantly, this book is MUCH better written than Twilight. It gave me reason to go on and read Eclipse.

Baby Einstein: Word Adventure (Baby Einstein (Special Formats))
Baby Einstein: Word Adventure (Baby Einstein (Special Formats))
by Julie Aigner-Clark
24 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Concept, November 9, 2008
My son loves everything Baby Einstein, so in looking to try and find some more interactive type books, I stumbled upon this one. While my son doesn't enjoy it as much as I thought, he still likes to play with it.

My son is only 2, so there are some things like questions asked in the book that he can't answer yet, we skip those. Maybe when he gets older this book will be a little more fun. He likes the magnets part, but he just sort of puts them on there & takes them off. For the price, I don't know if I'd bother buying it again, or as a gift.

Happy Baby: Things That Go
Happy Baby: Things That Go
by Sarah Kappely
Edition: Board book
39 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite of the Happy Baby series, November 9, 2008
I bought this for my son because he has loved all the other Happy Baby books- colors, ABC's, Words; this book not so much.

I don't know if it's because he's just not into that stuff yet...although he seems to be other wise- he loves motorcycles, plays with cars, likes to see the cop cars on TV etc. But this book doesn't really hold his attention. Maybe when he gets older?

Other than this book, I highly recommend the Happy Baby series, the colors book helped my son learn his colors- he knows them all now and he's just turned 2!

Baby Einstein: Animal Match
Baby Einstein: Animal Match
by Julie Aigner-Clark
23 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept, slightly flawed design, November 9, 2008
This book is a great concept, with slightly flawed design. First let me say I've loved every Baby Einstein book we've bought, my son loves them all, this one included! But, I have to agree with the other reviewers that this book can get torn up pretty quickly by a 2 year old.

Let me clarify, even with me letting my son only play with this while he is supervised, (other than the few times he's grabbed it on his own while I'm not looking) this book is not even 8 weeks out of the package and it's pretty beat up! Like someone else mentioned, the chutes for the animals can often fit more than one animal card, and if your child is playing solo with this book, he will find a way to get 4 in one slot and thus the openings are bending and loose. Of course the kids love this so they are anxious to open the flaps, these on our book are the most beat up. Lastly, in some spots the animals don't always slide down, so you have to shake the book to help them along.

With that said, my son LOVES this book. It's taught him a few new animals (fox, squirrel) and it's taught him about animal "homes" and habitats. I try to only let him do this when I'm around so I can try and prolong the life of this book, but already at 8 weeks I can see this book is beat up and I'm hoping it will last at least a year. Great concept, I'd love to keep it around for a second child, but I don't know if that will happen. If anything, I'd make the ages for this maybe 3 and up. If you're buying for younger, I'd supervise them to help keep the book in tact.

The Grapes of Wrath (Centennial Edition)
The Grapes of Wrath (Centennial Edition)
by John Steinbeck
Price: $13.93
244 used & new from $1.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Take in the magic of Steinbeck's writing, November 9, 2008
One of my favorite books is East of Eden, I also loved Of Mice & Men. I'd never read Grapes of Wrath for school, like most people, I figured it was about time. Having high hopes, I was a little disappointed. I did not like it nearly as the other Steinbeck's I'd read. But, still the overall work makes an amazing piece of history, fiction and memorable tale. Personally, I think it's highly relevent at this period in time with what our country is going through.

Mainly, this book was a little tough to keep reading on, as the story didn't immediately grip me. I was about half way through before I really got into it. Before I really began to care about the characters and get where this novel was going or what it was trying to convey. Yet there were times when I'd just sit back and slowly read a page and take in the beauty of what was written.

I did give it 4 stars because I think the writing, the story that it tells about the Oklahoma farmers & migrant farmers and the symbolism was phenominal! To me this book tells the story of our history, one that is important to tell and remember. There's a reason it won the Pulitzer.

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger
Price: $8.18
386 used & new from $1.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Make a little time for a classic, November 9, 2008
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
So I've been on a "classic book" kick, deciding that with all of the reading I do, I should try to work in more well-known literary novels. The ones I should have been reading in HS or college. Catcher in the Rye was on my list this month.

Interesting book...although not my favorite of all the "classics" I've read, it definitely left an impression. Amazing descriptives and it really puts you in the mindset of Holden Caulfield. And you might be shocked at what you feel/think about. It's easy to slip into this character and get lost in how he is feeling and who he is and what he's dealing with. A close look at a hard life. For those merits alone it's worthy of a Pulitzer in my opinion. (Although it notoriously did not win one.)

It's an easy read, nothing to be intimidated by, and it's short at only 250 pages. What do you have to lose? I'd recommend it.

Daddy's Little Girl
Daddy's Little Girl
by Mary Higgins Clark
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
623 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you on your toes, November 9, 2008
After years of people telling me that since I love mystery and suspense I should try MHC, I finally got around to it last year! I read, I heard that song before. Wow, was I disappointed!! BUT, thankfully I had one more of her books on my shelf- Daddy's Little Girl, and I'm glad that I gave her another try! Much better!!

This was a very suspenseful, past paced novel that keeps you on your toes. I woke up early to read, stayed up late, read it in only a few days. A highly enjoyable read! I'm looking forward to more of her older books, as those seem to be the best work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20