Profile for EPG > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

EPG RSS Feed

Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide to Riding Your Bike
Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide to Riding Your Bike
Price: $9.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A bicycle book for the rest of us, September 11, 2013
Smart, informative and short enough so that it won't keep you off your bicycle for long, "Just Ride" is just what a lot of people who've been intimidated by the spandex set need to reclaim the roads (and the bike paths) for those who love two wheels simply because riding makes us feel 8 years old again.

Yes, it told me a lot of stuff I'd managed to figure out on my own, but it's also helping to raise my fitness level simply by encouraging me to push a little harder on those hills, rather than shifting at the first sign of resistance. (Which turns out to be no big deal when you're only out for an hour or so.) And I'm feeling a lot better about the bike bag I use to cart a week's worth of produce back from the farmer's market every week.

Only wish I'd read this before I bought my latest bike (replacing a heavier one I'd owned, and ridden on and off, for 25 years). I like being able to lift it, but I'd probably have forgone the carbon fork, and maybe opted for something with slightly higher handlebars.

The New Yorker
The New Yorker
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Yorker and Kindle -- perfect together, February 15, 2009
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Edition)
I'd been waiting months, hoping The New Yorker would join the Kindle's magazine lineup, and as I expected, this has been the most satisfying Kindle magazine experience yet.

It's nicely formatted and easily navigated. (Though if I hadn't read another review here, I wouldn't have known how to access the cover by going to the top of the articles list and hitting previous page. Or that I wasn't getting ALL the cartoons.)

Graphic-heavy magazines like Time and Newsweek so far haven't proved worth it on the Kindle, since the stories often refer to pictures or graphs we're not seeing. But though it's become a little more graphic-friendly in recent years, The New Yorker still puts words first, and words are the Kindle's strong point. (That and not ending up with a pile of magazines you don't want to recycle because you think you might want to reread something in the future. A paper subscription to this magazine presents Sorcerer's Apprentice-like problems, given the frequency of publication.)

Price for all this seems more than reasonable, especially given that keeping back issues on my SD card will make my stash more easily searchable than those piles would be, while not creating a fire hazard.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2012 9:00 PM PST

The Winds of War
The Winds of War

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition sloppily formatted, November 22, 2008
This review is from: The Winds of War (Kindle Edition)
I was thrilled to find The Winds of War on Kindle just days after I'd been thinking I'd love to reread it -- there's nothing better than reading a really long book on a Kindle, for weight reasons alone.

But the formatting seems to have been done either in haste or with no oversight whatsoever -- it's full of typos, missing letters and even the occasional missing phrase or sentence.

Herman Wouk deserves better.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2014 3:27 PM PDT