Profile for Ashley K. Green > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ashley K. Green "Ashley" RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN USA)

Controlling People: How to Recognize, Understand, and Deal with People Who Try to Control You
by Patricia Evans
Price: $12.71
181 used & new from $0.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life, saved my relationship, June 1, 2012
This book changed the way I observe people in my life and how I interact with them. Not only did I learn how to recognize controlling behavior in my relationship, but also in every day life. I'm now able to pick up on warning signs of controlling behavior and respond appropriately. I believe I am a more mindful, emotionally intelligent person because of this book and I'm thankful every day for the coping skills I've learned from it.

When I purchased the book, I was in an emotionally abusive and controlling relationship, however, I didn't know this because the person I was with never called me names or physically hurt me. To be honest, I never really believed in "emotional abuse" until I read this book. I just knew something was wrong with my relationship and decided to give this book a try. My arguments with my partner were confusing and were never really resolved, I often felt like he didn't really like me, I accepted that he was smarter than I because he constantly told me so in indirect, passive aggressive language. He seemed to disagree with everything I said - even if I changed my opinion later - he'd still disagree with me or choose an opposing view. He was a different person to other people, very charming and charismatic, but cold and indifferent towards me. Because Evans first describes who controlling people are and why they might behave the way they do, I was able to understand why the person I was with was doing these things. As I read the book, I began to stop feeling like a victim. I was no longer confused when we argued and I learned to demand better treatment in a calm matter. I asked him to read the book, but he refused, saying he "wasn't a controlling person," so he shouldn't have to read a book about controlling people. After several months of him refusing to change or accept responsibility for his behavior, I ended the relationship. After 9 months of not speaking to each other, we became friends again and he asked me to let him back in my life. I reminded him of what happened and why I asked him to leave and I asked him to read the book. He agreed. We've been back together for over a year now and I can honestly say that it's the happiest, most healthy relationship I've ever been in. He was able to see himself in the controlling people Evans describes in the book and expressed honest remorse and regret for the way he treated me.

I know the book can't save every relationship and that most people are unwilling to change. I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones, but even if he hadn't changed and we never got back together, I'm eternally grateful for my new outlook on life and how I allow people to treat me. Reading the book allowed my boyfriend to recognize unacceptable behavior in a relationship and he was able to change who he was, but more importantly, I gained a better understanding of myself and I changed who I was. I am a happier, better person because of this book.

Insatiable: A Young Mother's Struggle with Anorexia
Insatiable: A Young Mother's Struggle with Anorexia
by Erica Rivera
Price: $10.38
26 used & new from $1.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, January 5, 2011
Despite some of the negative reviews, I ended up really enjoying this book. It's well written, and second to "Wasted," by Marya Hornbacher, it's the most insightful personal memoir on an eating disorder that I've read so far. And to the mother who purchased it for her daughter: I don't remember the book stating that it was for young adults and so I don't see how it's "inappropriate" when it's a personal memoir for adult readers. It never claims to be appropriate for 15 year old girls. I was actually initially interested in this book because it was one of few about an adult woman struggling with an eating disorder rather than a teenager or child. I treasure this book, and empathized with the author. It's extremely honest and I found myself laughing out loud at a few of her confessions. I also cried at the end of the book, which I will not spoil for those who plan to read it.

I've struggled personally with an eating disorder and rather than triggering my old bad habits, this book allowed me to feel human and less alone in this world. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed making a bowl of popcorn and reading this in front of the fire place. The books that mask the insight and honesty of the protagonist, in my opinion, are much more likely to trigger the urge to fall back into an eating disorder. Along with many other issues, It's that feeling of a disconnection from everything else and repressed emotions that often trigger eating disorders in the first place.This is just my opinion, but I loved the book.

This is a great memoir and I highly recommend it.

Crazy Sexy Cancer
Crazy Sexy Cancer
DVD ~ Rodney Yee
Offered by Media Favorites
Price: $19.99
28 used & new from $7.42

5.0 out of 5 stars It Changed My Life, July 6, 2010
This review is from: Crazy Sexy Cancer (DVD)
I happened to stumble upon this when it was airing on Lifetime a few years ago. I was lying on the couch, channel surfing, eating a bag of Cheetos. I'm so glad I found it. Kris is so charismatic and enjoyable to watch. Every woman should watch this film. 2 years later, I was still thinking about the movie quite a bit and couldn't help purchasing the DVD. I watch it every few months now. This movie has led me to eat better, travel more and enjoy life. Life is too short to waste it sitting on the couch eating Cheetos!

Skinny Bitch in the Kitch: Kick-Ass Recipes for Hungry Girls Who Want to Stop Cooking Crap (and Start Looking Hot!)
by Rory Freedman
Price: $12.30
640 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars So/So and Not that Healthy, January 22, 2010
I really loved Skinny Bitch, so I was a little disapointed with this book. The recipes are yummy, but they're not all that healthy. Just because you replace the meat, milk or cheese in a recipe with vegan meat, milk or cheese does not make it healthy. I am a vegan and am now shopping for a new cookbook because this one isn't cutting it for me. Most of the recipes are heavy on oil, soy and grains which don't do much for you if you're not getting your leafy green nutrients and can actually be filled with fat and calories. That said, if you are just beginning veganism, this may be the book for you. The recipes are really fun, and can show you that food doesn't need animal products to be tasty. There are tons of other products out there that make really yummy food and a lot of the recipes in this book are actually better than the meat or cheese versions. Also, the recipes are really easy, so you can master them quickly. The linguini with pine nuts and sun-dried tomatoes is fabulous! I wish I had purchased this book when I first converted to veganism because it would have made things a lot easier and I probably wouldn't have ended up quitting and starting all over again so many times. I've been a vegan for a while now though, and my body now craves healthier, lighter meals.

Paula Abdul - Cardio Dance
Paula Abdul - Cardio Dance
DVD ~ Paula Abdul
39 used & new from $0.38

2.0 out of 5 stars This Is Ridiculous, August 17, 2007
This review is from: Paula Abdul - Cardio Dance (DVD)
If you can actually get the moves in this DVD down, you have a good workout in store for you. If you have little dance experience and won't know what Paula's talking about when she tells you to do a "bus-stop" as if it's something you do everyday, you may be in for a disapointment. Although Paula's cues are perfectly timed and this can be fun once you get it down, she never breaks any of the moves down, or explains how to do them properly. It can get very frustrating if you're a beginner, or have little dance experience. I love workout DVDs and have been using them for years and this, in my opinion, was a waste of money.

Billy Blanks' Tae Bo: Fat Blasting Cardio
Billy Blanks' Tae Bo: Fat Blasting Cardio
DVD ~ Billy Blanks
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $8.10
52 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Tae Booo, February 4, 2006
I was very dispointed with this workout. I was simply looking for a good, fat blasting, cardio work out, and this was not it. Billy stops in the middle of each move to talk to his team, and instruct them on doing the moves properly. However, on several of the moves, he goes into little detail, leaving you wondering if you're doing them properly. If you haven't done Tae Bo before, it will take some time to master the moves. Billy stops and speaks so often, that it was hard for me to get my heart rate up from stopping so much. So much time is wasted, that it gets boring - you'll find yourself pacing back and forth, waiting for the routine to start up again. I'd say 25 percent or more of the program is wasted.

I also was unaware that you need "Billy Bands" in order to participate in this work out, which didn't come with the DVD, and aren't available in stores. The bands are rubber resistance bands that wrap around your feet that you hold in your hands while doing the moves. These would be more appropriate for resistance and strength training - not cardio. They in no way, help to get your heart rate moving faster.

What a waste of money.