Profile for HOZ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

HOZ RSS Feed (West Coast)

Page: 1 | 2
Static Eliminator (2 per box)
Static Eliminator (2 per box)
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $10.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Not magical, but I can tell if I didn't use it, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Static Eliminator (2 per box)
I'd searched for several years for something that would reduce static without leaving carcinogenic particles behind on my laundry, and this is by far the best I've found. While wool dryer balls are great at reducing dry time, I haven't found they do a thing about static like they claim to. Liquid, eco-friendly fabric softeners, while fine for softening effect, likewise have no discernible effect on static. These, on the other hand, genuinely do. It's not magical; if you've got a load with a bunch of polyester fleece and you over-dry it, there will be static. But for a regular load, mostly cotton, that gets pulled out right at, or slightly before, bone dry, these make a big difference. I find I generally need both sheets, but I've been using them with a family of four for about a year now, and they're still going strong. I'll be buying them again if these ever do wear out.

Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator
Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator
Price: $15.27
59 used & new from $11.96

5.0 out of 5 stars So gross, but so effective, January 23, 2014
I bought one of these out of desperation once, and can't even tell you how glad I am that I did. I gagged my way through my first use, but amazingly enough, baby could actually breathe when I was done! It's a total lifesaver, especially for nursing. I'd tried numerous times with the bulb aspirator they give you at the hospital, and the two just don't even compare. And despite the gag factor, the hose is long enough, I can't imagine in a million years that little filter even being necessary. I've never had any snot come even halfway up the fat tube, much less all the way up the hose. I don't even think about it now. And at 18 months, my daughter will actually ask for it when she has a cold. Still a lifesaver. I give one at every baby shower now.

Bumkins 3 Pack Waterproof SuperBib
Bumkins 3 Pack Waterproof SuperBib
Price: Click here to see our price
22 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd never messed with other bibs, January 23, 2014
Love these. For some reason, most other bibs I've tried had uncoated fabric edging, which means you can't just wipe food off the trim, however easily it wipes off the main portion of the bib. That means you either send it through the wash (and most of them say not to machine wash them), or slowly build up nasty, unremovable crusties along the trim and piping until the bib is so gross you just throw it out. These are not like that. Food rinses easily off the entire thing, front and back, main part, pocket, and trim. So great! Even if you forget and find the bib a few hours later, it rinses right off with just warm water. They're also soft and flexible enough that my toddler doesn't pull or complain about it until she's done with her meal. First bib I can say that about. I threw all her old bibs away after getting these.

aden + anais Cozy Muslin Sleeping Bag, For The Birds, Owl, Medium
aden + anais Cozy Muslin Sleeping Bag, For The Birds, Owl, Medium
Price: $44.99
11 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these bags!, January 23, 2014
We've had three of these in use for a whole year, worn for every single nap and night, even in summer, and can't get along without them! We used the size medium to transition our daughter out of the swaddle when she was about six months old, and she's worn them for a full year. On the rare occasions that I have tried to put her down without a sleep sack, it hasn't gone particularly well. I love that they're cotton, wash so well, are so soft, and she can't kick them off. She has one Halo fleece sack, and I hate that it is always so full of static, so it rarely sees any use. These Aiden and Anais ones are never static-y. We did have one zipper break, but were able to fix it easily with the help of a pair of pliers. After a major growth spurt, I'm ordering the next size up knowing I'll definitely be getting my money's worth.

SwaddleDesigns Ultimate Receiving Blanket, Classic Polka Dots, Bright Blue
SwaddleDesigns Ultimate Receiving Blanket, Classic Polka Dots, Bright Blue
Price: $21.31
18 used & new from $16.50

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few baby items I consider essential, January 8, 2014
Admittedly, my first baby hated being swaddled, so the blanket sat untouched in a drawer until we discovered our second child wouldn't sleep more than 10 minutes without being swaddled. But oh boy, was I ever glad I hadn't gotten rid of it! We bought a second one to use when the other was in the wash, and these things saw heavy use for a solid 6-7 months! They wash and wear really well. Second baby was a home birth, and this was the first thing that ever touched her skin. After quite a bit of scrubbing to remove the "birth goo," it came out a little less fuzzy, but otherwise none the worse for wear, and I was so glad to have something so soft to wrap against her minutes-old skin.

Even on a small baby, it's so much easier to swaddle with one of these than the cheap $2 variety from big box stores. Having extra fabric makes it much grippier, so the baby actually stays swaddled, instead of slowly oozing out of the swaddle like the do in the little ones. And then it still works on a 20 lb baby! I won't even bother with the cheap swaddlers, now that I know these exist. It's not worth it!

Boppy Bare Naked Pillow
Boppy Bare Naked Pillow
Price: Click here to see our price
22 used & new from $26.07

5.0 out of 5 stars 24 Months of Combined Hard Use, September 20, 2013
I love the Boppy. I know there are many who prefer the My Breast Friend pillow, and while I admit that the MBF is more helpful with a tiny baby, once baby hits about 8 lbs, I prefer the Boppy. An extra cushion tucked under the Boppy makes it perfectly usable for a brand new baby. The MBF is hard, fussy, and awkward with any baby bigger than brand new. I used mine for about a week, and then got rid of it. The Boppy is so much more snuggly, and it only takes half a second to put it in place. For those bleary-eyed, middle-of-the-night-feeds, this is a huge asset. And the fact that it doesn't position the baby nearly as high means that you can actually use it longer than 3 weeks, which is so nice. I've never heard of anyone using the MBF with a 3-month-old, let alone a 14-month-old (which I currently am). I'm now using it on my second child, and it's seen some HARD use. You can wash the actual pillow, which I did between kids, but it's so indispensable to me that I don't wash it nearly as often as I should, because I know it means I'll have to nurse at least once without it. While I can nurse without it, it's so much easier and more comfortable to have it. It stays in place so much better than a regular bed pillow, which I use in a pinch. My 14-month-old loves it, too, because she just snuggles right in when we use it, and if we don't, she flails all over the place. After being used 6-12 times a day for 24 months total use, it's gotten a lot flatter than it used to be. I plan to purchase a new one for the next baby, but certainly feel I've gotten my money's worth out of the Boppy. It's absolutely on my top 5 most essential baby items.

Diaper Genie Elite Diaper Disposal Pail with Refill, 270-Count
Diaper Genie Elite Diaper Disposal Pail with Refill, 270-Count

2.0 out of 5 stars Who are these people who like this thing?, August 19, 2013
I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone can like this diaper pail. In my mind, the only reason for a dedicated diaper pail, rather than a regular old step can, is so that you don't get a face-full of nasty stale-excrement-and-chemical-fumes when you open the lid to put a diaper in. This completely fails in that respect. Every time I step on the pedal to drop a new diaper in, I get a nice big whiff of the disgusting contents inside. In fact, on the last day-ish before the bag is full, I can smell the contents just by standing near the pail with the lid shut. I also hate that there is no way to tell the bag is full until you go to drop in a new diaper and the little claw inside that's supposed to clamp the bag shut when you open the lid gets stuck on the last diaper and won't close at all, meaning it releases a stench that could knock you over. Then to change the very expensive proprietary bag, you have to pull the entire pail away from the wall (because it hinges right in the middle of the pail) and awkwardly pull a long sausage of dirt diapers out without allowing the bag to hinge in the center right along with the pail. It's a terrible design. And then you cut and tie the bag, which actually doesn't bother me that much, though for the price of the bags, you'd think it unnecessary. But there's also no way to know that you're almost out of the bags in the ring, which means quite often, you end up with just shy of one last bag, and you don't find out until you put the first diaper in, and as the lid shuts, you hear the bag ripping out of the ring and falling into the bottom of the pail.

The only thing that I do like is that it's hands-free, and nice and tall so you don't have to lean very far away from the baby you're keeping from falling off the changing table. But those features could easily be duplicated by a kitchen step can that fits the regular kitchen trash bags that come in giant boxes of 500 for about $10 at bulk buy stores.

I gave up on this pail and replaced it with the Munchkin Arm & Hammer Pail. I lose the hand-free aspect, and I still have to buy expensive proprietary bags, but at least I can't smell the stench inside the pail, which is the point of the pail in the first place.

GroVia BioLiners One Size Unscented - 200 Count
GroVia BioLiners One Size Unscented - 200 Count
Offered by La Stella Blu
Price: $10.99
14 used & new from $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite liners, August 7, 2013
I'm really not a fan of these liners. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want such wide liners. They stick out at least an inch and a half through the crotch of every diaper. If you don't tuck them in, they do wick, not to mention it just looks bad. But they're not quite wide enough to cut them in half and still provide adequate coverage (plus the whole point of the liners is to save time and effort, so the idea of cutting each in half is not appealing). Should they happen to go through the wash load accidentally, they shred and get stuck in the aplix of any covers that happen to be in with the load. I do appreciate that they're substantial enough that very little solid waste seeps through them, so they really do make for easy waste removal. Overall, though, I very much prefer the Bummis Biosoft liners, and can't wait until the Grovia are used up so I can go back.

The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible: How to Grow a Bounty of Food in Pots, Tubs, and Other Containers
by Edward C. Smith
Price: $12.78
76 used & new from $7.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually Stunning, June 4, 2013
Loved this book! Beautiful pictures, clear, user-friendly format. A great resource I will have on my shelf for years to come. Useful information on choosing containers, maintaining fertile soil, making smart use of space, organic pest control, and extending growing seasons, as well as substantial information specific to each major vegetable one might try growing in a container. Quick read, too. So visually pleasing my 3-year-old keeps bringing it to me to read to her. Far and away more pictures and visuals than any other comparable book I've looked through.

Fisher-Price Precious Planet  Blue Sky Jumperoo
Fisher-Price Precious Planet Blue Sky Jumperoo
Offered by VMInnovations
Price: $104.99
4 used & new from $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The only reason I ever get to cook dinner, November 19, 2012
We love this jumperoo in our family! It's now on the second child to enjoy it, and still going strong. Both our kids have loved this thing, and spend at least an hour a day in it for many months. We rarely, if ever, turn on the sound and lights, as both kids have been more than happy to play with the onboard toys without the electronics. That works out well for me, as the motion sensors are overly sensitive, and it basically just plays the songs as long as the baby is in the jumperoo, which gets pretty dang annoying. But they love jumping, and I don't have to worry about finding a doorway or that they'll pinch their fingers between the tray and a door jam. We've had to use a box for the first few months as our kids have both been short in the legs and can't reach the ground on the lowest setting until well after they've started wanting to jump around. So we use a box or an upside down casserole dish underneath so they can have fun anyway. Basically, though, no complaints. I don't know what I would do without this thing.

Page: 1 | 2