Profile for MJ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MJ RSS Feed

Apex DT250A Digital Converter Box with Analog Passthrough
Apex DT250A Digital Converter Box with Analog Passthrough
Offered by Barnett Emporium
Price: $61.00
36 used & new from $16.00

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!!, February 24, 2012
Lasted (2) years - and we don't watch TV much. The remote started acting up about a year ago. Now the unit wont stay green (on). Piece of junk electronic.

How do we give zero stars?

Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1- Channel A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1- Channel A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by superior sales
Price: $249.95
4 used & new from $150.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent features & power for the money, June 27, 2011
I picked up this same unit at Costco (HTR 3064) and am extremely please with it. The Yamaha RX-V371 and the HTR 3064 are different in name only. The HTR line are sold to larger retail stores like Costco and Best Buy, and the RX V series through Yamaha specialty retailers and smaller shops. Often the HTR line is sold as a bundle as in home-theater-in-a-box sets.

Very easy to use, set up, and customize. Has all the power that I need it for. I have the value-priced Boston Acoustic CS series speakers and the system does everything I need it to do. Plays music flawlessly (I have a pretty good ear but not a super-picky aficionado). My country, classic rock and classical music sound full, loud if need be and very clear. I'm actually hearing instruments I never noticed after all these years. Example Paul Simon's Graceland sounds sublime and I can hear all the different instruments from the South African talent he jammed with.

PROS: Remote does EVERYTHING and is still very intuitive and easy to use. The four SCENE functions allow for ease of use to watch TV or listen to music very simply by pressing ONE button, whether for radio, CD, TV or iPod. Very sensitive volume controls. Adjustable sound functions - important to a sound fiddler like myself. It doesn't substitute for an equalizer (I miss not having one of those) but still very workable. The sound is awesome. Clear, loud (if need be), plenty of base, excellent highs, decent mids. Of course I only have 2-way speakers so what do I expect? I love that its a Yamaha and that although an entry level model, the same brand as many serious audiophiles buy.

Cons: The only negative is the lack of iPod input. But I only paid $200 so I really can't complain, so still definitely a (5) star rating. I could have paid more for a receiver with an iPod input, usb etc, but then I would have been out of pocket for at LEAST $150 additional. It DOES have a front AUX input which works very well for iPod/iPhone (device sees the receiver as headphones), however the manual says its for 'temporary use'...Yamaha probably just wants you to buy their iPod/iPhone docking station. Playing the iPod is really a priority for me so I went ahead and purchased the optional docking station for not too much (eBay and Vanns clearance usually have lots of YDS12's offered for WAY below retail). I could have just used an iPod cable(rear RCA) which would have probably worked the same but I like how I can control the iPod with the remote using the docking station. Plus it sits up nicely in the cradle.

Bottom Line: Plenty of power, features and inputs for the budget conscious music lover. Lots of sound options for the movie fan. Buy the docking station for best iPod listening.

Boston Acoustics CS226B Classic Series Single Floorstanding Speaker (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best you can buy for the money, June 16, 2011
Mass amount of research and an unfortunate foray into a Home Theater in a Box (returned it) led me to these beauties. This review is mostly about MUSIC listening. A 5.1 system for movies and TVs doesn't need as much in the way of full sound and IMHO a home theater in a box would be just fine for that. During my info-gathering phase I went to Fry's and they sounded as nice as the Bose at 2X the price. Very loud if need be. Lots of bass (separate sub woofer not really needed for music unless you're inclined to play the really heavy base stuff. Even then it does good. The addition of a sub just makes that genre pop more.) Highs are excellent. Mids are adequate but if that is really important to you you probably wouldn't be looking at $100 speakers.

Well built and made to last. Attractive, wood grain in black with a satin finish. I bought the complete set in the CS series, 225 Center, 26B satellites, powered sub and powered it with a cheapo Yamaha 5.1. We use the xbox for DVD's and CD's with a docking station for the iPod. Whole thing was under $800 including all the cables (monoprice is amazing for cables, great service, quality and value!).

These are essentially identical in specs to the CS 26B's. I wanted floors to replace the cheap Denon's that came with my old system. Theses speakers are weighty and feel solid. The reviews are correct that the nominal amount of increase in audio clarity as compared to the huge jump in price is not a value for everybody, including me. Sure there are other speakers that LOOK sharper but that's not too important to me. The cherry finish seems difficult to come by and I believe Boston Acoustic has discontinued the line expect for the black. Too bad.

Bottom Line: Outstanding value for the entry level music lover who needs loud, great sounding full music listening with plenty of bass, excellent highs and decent mids. Awesome for TV's and movies too.

Sony BRAVIA DAV-DZ170 Home Theater System
Sony BRAVIA DAV-DZ170 Home Theater System
9 used & new from $140.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good for music, June 15, 2011
Originally purchased this Sony HTB after doing more research than with my last car. I returned this item which really surprised me after all the careful study and reading so many reviews. Ended up buying an entry Yamaha 5.1 receiver coupled with the Boston CS series (floors, 225CB Center, Sub, 26B satellites - an incredible sounding system for under $800). Although I ended up spending 4X my original budget, I now believe that I would likely not be happy with any HTB. It's true what they say about spending the $ on the speakers - DEFINATELY worth it!

Size does matter and apparently HTB speakers don't have enough of it to fill my medium size living room FOR MUSIC THAT IS. The sony Bravia was fine for the TV and movies - blew me away really, especially the action scenes. No question that this is where all the positive reviews are coming from. If you're a TV/movie type, you will love the price and performance. Problem for me was that I mostly need a system for music: iPod, radio, CD's. For these, this unit sounds muted, dull, underpowered, severly lacking highs and mids. I'm no audiophile; I just grew up with decent floor speakers and an old Marantz receiver powering the turntable (remember Good Guys?). The lows were pretty good overall, so for my son's music with all the base it was borderline passable. However for my classic rock, country, classical it was not a pleasant listening experience.

Bottom line: As long as you don't expect much in the way of full sounding music you will be very pleased with this system. Great for TV & movies.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2012 10:30 AM PDT