Profile for Philip J. Satterley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Philip J. Satterley RSS Feed (Littleton, CO United States)

The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present
The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present
by Earle Marsh
26 used & new from $24.70

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will save your marriage/friendship/life!, March 6, 2014
Seriously I'm not kidding, this is an AMAZING book! Brooks and Marsh have been writing several additions since the early 80's and I've bought just about every one. Structured on a simple alphabetical listing, this book includes helpful information such as network, years and times each show was broadcast. Each listing also include a brief synopsis and background information without getting too opinionated or unnecessarily "wordy". Sure, we have the internet, however, most of the useful sites we go to for this information seem to omit important details such as air-times and good basic synopses for many shows. It's also right at your fingertips, avoiding the "Wait, hold on, the page is loading" as well as making it easy just to thumb through and stop on any random page (which is also difficult to do on the internet.)
This book also makes a great "bathroom reader" :-) however in our household you could say this book almost saves our marriage. My wife and I have agreed that any discussion of movies or TV get a 2-pass "Yes it is, no it isn't" disagreement exchange before we call for the "book" and this is the book we always go to. I once heard a comedian say most divorces start off with simple disagreements about movies, TV or sports and escalate from there, so we can thank Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh for being the ultimate early stage "Relationship Counselors".

It Takes a Thief: The Complete Series
It Takes a Thief: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Robert Wagner
Price: $149.98
9 used & new from $121.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A great set and note about the quality., February 25, 2014
For everyone concerned about the picture quality of this set, please see the 2nd paragraph. I've been a huge fan of It Takes a Thief ever since watching it during my summer vacations in the late mornings. I was THRILLED when I first discovered Universal released the pilot film "The Magnificent Thief" on VHS in the 90's and was hoping for a full series. Sadly that wasn't the case and it would be an over 20 year wait. I had taped several episodes off TV but there were MANY holes in my collection. Needless to say I was OVERJOYED when Entertainment One announced the release of the set. It's great to finally have a FULL collection.
To be upfront the picture quality isn't PERFECT on this set. Many of the reviews complained about the quality and they need to do a "proper" transfer and cleanup from the film masters. Sadly in 2008 a fire ripped through one of Universal's film vaults with many reporting destroyed tape assets, and unfortunately master film elements, It Takes a Thief was one of them. Several "backup" copies survived in different locations on tape in different formats, and all of the existing elements were gathered, evaluated and cleaned up as much as possible for this release. Unfortunately many of the transfers were old and in the European PAL video format and needed to be converted to the American standard, NTSC. Because of the PAL format's 25 frames per second, transfers from film to PAL seem "sped up" (about 4%) so those episodes used for this set sound a bit fast, as many people noted. Also there is only so much a studio can do when cleaning up tape-based masters without the picture further deteriorating, so sadly, unless technology improves this is most likely going to be the best we're going to get. I also have several friends overseas who checked out the region 4 releases, but sadly it's the same case on those as well. Understanding this, this is still a FANTASTIC set! It's great to re-live many of the episodes I remember as a kid and even being introduced to many more I've never seen before! Even if you're a casual fan, it's still worth it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2014 6:27 PM PST

Supermicro PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller (AOC-SASLP-MV8)
Supermicro PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller (AOC-SASLP-MV8)
Offered by Daytona Web
Price: $139.98
4 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for Unraid so far, March 6, 2013
Bought this card for an Unraid setup (was part of the recommended hardware list) and has been working great so far. Honestly I really haven't had to touch the darn thing since I installed it, and in this situation, that's EXACTLY what you want! Unraid software had no problems recognizing it & it was easy to add drives to my array once my motherboard SATA slots filled up. If you're are building an Unraid box on a budget, this is a great card.

Eurospy Guide
Eurospy Guide
by Matt Blake
Price: $25.00
6 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-Belongs next to Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film, August 11, 2009
This review is from: Eurospy Guide (Paperback)
This book is a MUST! Next to Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film, this book is a must for those who crave more in-depth information about films that go "beyond Bond". Frankly I thought I was the only person aware of these types of films, until I found this guide. The authors obviously "get it" and are very good at rating and summarizing film information without talking down or over-explaining the concept of Eurospy movies (although, for those unfamiliar with the genre, the introduction does a FANTASTIC job and I learned several things). If you have seen the Bond and Flint films a million times and are ready for the next step, this is what to get!

SCTV - Best Of The Early Years
SCTV - Best Of The Early Years
DVD ~ Joe Flaherty
Price: $25.30
16 used & new from $18.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a great set, November 4, 2006
I agree it's great to see all of these early episodes, however releasing a "best of" set left me a bit disappointed. FIrst off there are *NO* season one episodes, leaving all of the post Harold Ramis episodes. Also many of the 2 and 3 season episodes were recycled into the NBC 90 minute series, so if you bought those you'll see lots of repeats. I would rather see some of the earlier stuff when the group were finding their footing. Some stuff was fantastic, some stuff didn't work but would be still great to see. After hearing this was going to be a complete set, and then being trimmed down and the sheer fact I couldn't find this set in ANY retail outlet here in town, I have a feeling this will be the last of the SCTV releases from Shout Factory. Too bad sales weren't better.

Cruelty Without Beauty
Cruelty Without Beauty
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $23.74
17 used & new from $1.56

5.0 out of 5 stars An older, wiser but honest Soft Cell!, May 18, 2003
This review is from: Cruelty Without Beauty (Audio CD)
Nowadays it seems several 80's bands are reforming for the money and/or just for the sake of doing it without really having anything new to say. This is what I first thought the situation was with this new Soft Cell album before I popped it onto the CD player for the first spin. Thankfully to my surprise I was dead WRONG! Cruelty without Beauty is a FANTASTIC example of how bands SHOULD do it! Since their last album 18+ years ago the band hasn't been sleeping, more like waiting on the sidelines, absorbing information and influences. Finally when the time is right they decide to strike, and have PLENTY to say! I got into Soft Cell way back in Jr. High, it was something different and had a soul unlike many others. That soul is still there, but a little more mature, a little more grown up. Dave Ball's playing is phenomenal, and Marc's voice is stronger and has a much more solid foundation. Several songs from their earlier albums I could relate to back in Jr. High (Frustration was almost my theme song) and this disc hits the nail on the head for me today(Monoculture is the PERFECT example of what my frustration & perception of what the world is right now) The themes are updated (Whatever It Takes, Sensation Nation) even poking fun at what other artists (or even maybe themselves) are willing to do for that last shot of glory (like in Desperate) which certainly proves the band decided to focus on music integrity rather than cashing in on the hit single. However if the modern music industry has not changed and gone in the toilet so much I guarantee Monoculture and All Out of Love would be hitting the airwaves with full force. But alas, times have changed and it's nice to see Soft Cell release an honest album. It's a shame it won't get more exposure and is likely to only remain a "hidden treasure".

Babylon 5: Season 1
Babylon 5: Season 1
DVD ~ Michael O'Hare
Offered by mirmedia_movies_and_music
Price: $19.82
14 used & new from $5.37

2.0 out of 5 stars My god! It's full of DUST![.], January 10, 2003
This review is from: Babylon 5: Season 1 (DVD)
If you are expecting a classic Science Fiction series, which fantastic characters and stories which gave Star Trek some tough competition, this set is for you! If you are expecting a newly remastered, cleaned up deluxe looking DVD set, FORGET IT![.] Granted it's really nice to have this show on DVD, but the experience is EXTREMELY muted by the film prints they used in this set. The picture is scratched, dusty and rough looking. There are several long scratch lines throughout many of the scenes (Check out the scene with the hustler doing the Ball & Cup trick in SOUL HUNTER and you'll see what I mean.) For a new show, I'm really surprised how these prints look like something out of the 60's, in fact I own several series from that era (I Spy) which actually look better (and I Spy was NOT even remastered!) Believe it or not my off air VHS copies look considerably BETTER on terms of the film print. Anyway it's a shame WB was not willing to put a little more effort into the series, even if it drove the price up a but, I'd be willing to pay.

Flat Earth
Flat Earth
Offered by rockitman
Price: $24.88
37 used & new from $0.08

5.0 out of 5 stars This one goes on the island!, October 25, 1999
This review is from: Flat Earth (Audio CD)
A simple serving suggestion. A summer night, all windows in the room open, ALL of the lights out and headphones on. Now you have the PERFECT setting for this album! Ambient, moody and tranquil are words that come to mind when describing Dolby's 2nd effort. Chosen hits such as "Hyperactive " are fine, but it's songs such as "The Flat Earth" and "Dissidents" that really set the mood! Keep this in the CD player with the Steely Dan!