Profile for J. Chambers > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Chambers RSS Feed (Georgia, United States)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pyle PWBH18BK Water Resistant Bluetooth Streaming Wireless Headphones with Built-in Microphone, Black
Price: $48.49
5 used & new from $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look if you like the over-the-ear style of earphones, July 11, 2014
Over-the-ear headphones with earbuds aren't my favorite style of headphones, but I often see folks wearing them, so I know they're popular. I don't know if I'm just clumsy or it's the shape of my ears or what, but they just don't work well for me. But the Pyle PWBH18 headphones are one of the better products of this type that I've seen and actually used.

First of all, there's the IP64 rating. International Protection Marking codes, also known as IP codes, classify and rate the degree of protection provided against the intrusion of dust and water by mechanical casings and electrical enclosures. IP64 indicates that a device is dustproof and is protected against splashing water. The headphones are not intended to be submerged or subjected to spraying water. They're water-resistant, not waterproof, although the instruction manual incorrectly refers to them as waterproof.

I paired the headphones with an Android tablet. It paired quickly as device "PWBH18." I streamed some iHeartRadio stations and played some of my MP3s, and the audio quality was pretty good for earphones. The Bluetooth signal was stable for distances up to around 25 feet, but if interior walls came between the source and the headphones, the range was less.

It only took a few minutes to charge up the headphones' built-in 80mAh battery. The charging port is on the left earphone. On the right earphone are the power on/off button, plus two small raised buttons that control volume and tracks. To increase or decrease the volume, hold the buttons until the volume is set. Brief presses on the volume buttons advance the track or return to the beginning of the current track. Pressing the "+" button twice is supposed to return to the previous track, but that didn't work for me. Running the headphones continuously while playing music, the battery lasted for a few minutes more than six hours, which exceeds the stated play time in the instruction manual.

As a hands-free phone device, the headphones worked well when paired with my Moto-X phone. The function button (the large button on the side of the right earpiece) works to answer a call or to hang up. Voice quality was good.

If you like this style of headphones for listening to music or radio, and if you also want a hands-free phone device, the Pyle PWBH18 is definitely worth a look, especially if you use it in a damp environment.

Doctor's Best 20 Mg Lutein Esters Vegetarian Capsules, 120 Count
Doctor's Best 20 Mg Lutein Esters Vegetarian Capsules, 120 Count
Price: $12.99
5 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars May be effective in preventing age-related macular degeneration, July 11, 2014
I'm almost seventy years old, and I'm aware that both my mom and her brother began to go blind from macular degeneration by their mid-seventies. I'm also diabetic (type 2, controlled), and to top it off, I had cataract surgery on both eyes last year. So I take good care of my eyes and see my ophthalmologist every year. Since I don't eat a lot of green, leafy vegetables or eggs - two natural sources of lutein and zeaxanthin - a few years ago I asked my ophthalmologist about taking supplemental lutein/zeaxanthin. He was neutral on the issue, but he didn't try to dissuade me, so I began taking a lutein/zeaxanthin supplement. I've taken a few different brands with varying amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin, but based on my own online research, I concluded that the optimum dosage was probably between 10-20 mg of lutein and 2-4 mg of zeaxanthin. I've also read that the only known side effect of excess lutein consumption is a harmless bronzing of the skin known as carotenaemia.

I've read about something called the "AREDS2 studies," which were sponsored by the National Eye Institute (NEI), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The studies, which took place from 1992-2008, focused on age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and cataracts in older people. The final study report concluded that a daily dosage of 10 mg lutein, 2 mg zeaxanthin, 350 mg DHA, and 650 mg EPA may be beneficial in preventing the development of macular degeneration. The daily dosage of the Doctor's Best product is very close to the AREDS2 studies recommendations, with 10 mg of free lutein and 1.5 mg of zeaxanthin per capsule, plus 0.15 mg of cryptoxanthin (a precursor of vitamin A). I'm taking two capsules a day.

So based on my own research and the recommendations of the AREDS2 studies, I believe the Doctor's Best lutein product is safe and may be effective in preventing the development of age-related macular degeneration.

Pyle Astro PTBL73BCD 7-Inch Android Dual Core Touch-Screen 3D Graphic Wi-Fi Tablet with Bluetooth
Price: $70.65
12 used & new from $69.96

3.0 out of 5 stars An inexpensive tablet that may meet your needs, July 10, 2014
Length:: 1:34 Mins

I've just spent several days with the Pyle Astro PTBL73BCD 7-Inch Android tablet, and it's a mixed bag - some good, some not so good. here's what I found:

Head-to-head with my Kindle Fire HDX 7" or Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 or any of a number of other high-end 7" tablets, the Pyle Astro loses every time, but those tablets cost a whole lot more than the Pyle Astro. For someone looking for a inexpensive 7" tablet that has most of the expected features of an Android tablet, the Pyle Astro may be what you're looking for, with the understanding that it has some serious limitations.

The tablet is pure Android, and anyone who's already familiar with the Android environment will hardly need the user manual. The tablet is running Android version 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean), and the manufacturer says that there are no plans to upgrade the operating system to 4.4 (KitKat). At least one app from the Google Play Store that I wanted ("Watch TBS") would not install with Jelly Bean - it required KitKat. I got the new Amazon MP3 app with Prime Music to install, but it would not play my MP3s from the Amazon Cloud. I think that's probably a Jelly Bean versus KitKat issue.

Wi-fi is very good, and the tablet detected almost as many near-by wireless networks as my Kindle Fire and Android phone see. The connection has been stable, even when I moved the tablet well away from my wireless router. Bluetooth also worked well with a portable Bluetooth speaker I paired the tablet with.

The screen display is 800x480. I've been streaming some sports from ESPN and watching a couple of videos that I downloaded, and the sharpness and color saturation are acceptable for an inexpensive tablet. But here's the problem with the screen: The viewing angle is very small. With the tablet in landscape orientation, moving from side to side is okay. But moving up and down, the image quickly fades and changes colors. (I tried to show this in my video.)

With only 4GB of storage, you won't store too many videos. After accounting for the operating system and some essential apps (browser, email, Google maps, Kindle books, etc.), there's only about 2GB of storage available.

The battery life is just okay. The product description indicates a 3-hour average life for mixed use. I pushed it to the extreme by streaming full-screen video with sound on, and the battery died after about 2:30. Based on that, the 3-hour claim for mixed use is probably pretty accurate.

The audio is okay from the single speaker on the back of the tablet. With no background noise, the maximum volume is satisfactory, but as with most small tablets that I've seen, you may want to have an auxiliary speaker handy when the ambient noise is high.

There are low-resolution front and rear cameras, both 0.3MP (640x480). The on-screen camera controls are okay, letting you adjust some settings, including zoom, but there's no flash. You can also shoot videos. Both cameras are located along the top center of the tablet (in landscape mode), which is a good location for Skypeing.

There are a couple of very helpful Android features on the tablet that aren't standard on all tablets today:
* Screenshot - There's no fumbling around trying to remember how to take a screenshot. There's a camera icon at the bottom of the screen. Press it and you've got a screenshot (PNG file format). It couldn't be simpler.
* There is a micro-USB port on the tablet. Sure, all Android tablets have one for connecting to a computer, but with this one, you can insert a USB device like a flash drive and move data back and forth. Using an adapter (not included), I inserted an 8GB flash drive with some MP3 music on it and played several songs from the flash drive.

Just to quickly summarize a few other features: The tilt sensors worked well in the games I played. The microphone was excellent with Google Search. For expanding the limited storage capacity, the tablet has a micro-SDHC card slot. These cards are so inexpensive now that it hardly makes sense not to add one.

Okay, taking all that into account, I gave the Pyle Astro PTBL73BCD tablet 3 stars. It's certainly not in the same league as my Kindle Fire HDX or Galaxy Tab 3, but for basic tablet functions, it does the job reasonably well at a low price. I can imagine people buying the tablet for an inexpensive backup, or for their kids when they don't want to risk an expensive tablet with them. (And by the way, the tablet plays Where's My Water very nicely.) My biggest issue with the tablet is the display's narrow viewing angle. I know Pyle can do better, since I've reviewed a Pyle 10" tablet (Pyle Astro PTBL102BCD 10.1-Inch Android Dual Core Touch-Screen 3D Graphic Wi-Fi Tablet with Bluetooth) that I thought was a bargain for a little over a hundred bucks.

This tablet was provided to me for the purposes of evaluation and an honest, unbiased review, which I have done to the best of my ability.

EARTHY Liquid Chalk Markers 10 Pack *** FREE EXCLUSIVE 22-PAGE USAGE IDEAS eBOOK *** EXCLUSIVE LIFETIME GUARANTEE! *** FREE 2 DAY PRIME SHIPPING! *** 6mm Chisel Tip, Bright Liquid Chalk Ink for Rich, Vibrant Earthy Colors. Perfect for Bistros, Classrooms, Home, Non-Porous Chalkboards & Blackboards, Whiteboards, Car Windows, Mirrors, Glass and Ceramics. Dustless, Water Based & Easily Erasable!
Offered by Marketing Impact Group
Price: $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of erasable marker, July 10, 2014
Length:: 1:41 Mins

My wife and I have used several brands of markers on our reminder whiteboard, including the regular Liquid Chalk markers (Premium LIQUID CHALK Ink Markers). The Earthy Liquid Chalk markers are basically the same product with different colors that tend toward less vivid earth tones.

We noticed two differences from other kinds of markers right away:
* The markers have to be prepped first to prime the tips. It's a simple one-time process that took 3-4 minutes for each marker.
* You wipe the ink off with a wet eraser instead of a dry eraser.

I used the markers on our small whiteboard, and I liked how the colors looked. The marker tips are about 0.2" wide, so you get a wide line while drawing (but you can turn the flat side of the tip and get a much narrower line). For our letter-size board, that's wider than we like, but for larger boards, it would be much better than the sharp points that some erasable markers have. Note that these markers are primarily intended for use on nonporous surfaces, at least if you plan to erase them later.

The manufacturer, Chalk This Way, has a brochure online that shows a variety of creative uses for their markers. I wouldn't have even thought of some of these uses, like writing erasable messages on a bathroom mirror, or personalizing a pet's food bowl.

The liquid chalk ink markers are a different kind of erasable marker that may give you better results than what you've been using, depending on your needs.

My only slightly negative comment is about the packaging. The plastic container that the markers are stored in is fairly flimsy and comes apart too easily. I just removed the markers and stored them in a baggy.

A product sample was provided for review purposes.

Pyle PWPBT75BK Sound Box Splash 2 Bluetooth Rugged and Splash-Proof Speaker System with Built-in Flashlight and Hand-Crank Charger, Black
Price: Click here to see our price
16 used & new from $57.26

5.0 out of 5 stars A brick with stereo sound, July 10, 2014
Length:: 1:48 Mins

This thing is like a brick with speakers, meaning that it's a little on the heavy side (16˝ ounces), and it looks pretty much indestructible. The size and weight may render it a bit less portable than other Bluetooth speakers that I've seen, but it looks tough enough to withstand some pounding, and its water resistance would make it a candidate for outdoor activities or damp conditions that would rule out many speakers. It's a slightly smaller version of the Pyle PWPBT60 Sound Box Splash Bluetooth Speaker, but they've added some features like a flashlight, a hand-cranked generator, and an alarm. The speaker has a maximum output of 3 watts. I checked the speaker's audio quality with one of my favorite playlists. Some of my old favorites sounded very good, with clear vocals and good bass notes.

The speaker paired easily with my Kindle Fire as device "PWPBT75" with no code required. I wasn't too fussy about the Bluetooth range, since the user guide only claims 5 meters, but it was okay at 25-30 feet on a line of sight. With the 1400mAh battery that's built into the speaker, the manufacturer claims a 6-hour playback time on a full charge. To recharge the battery, I used a 5V~1A source, which worked fine. If an AC charger or vehicle charger isn't handy, you can use a portable battery or start cranking the generator.

The music controls are simple enough to operate. On top of the speaker are a power button, a volume down button that doubles as a return to the start of the track, and a volume up button that doubles as a next song control.

Other controls on the top include a button for the LED flashlight and an alarm button. Note that the alarm is really LOUD, so be prepared if you push it. The alarm button is recessed slightly, so it's not too likely to be pushed accidentally.

I like the Splash 2. It's ruggedly built, the audio quality is good, and its water resistance makes it a good choice for both dry and damp environments.

NOTE: The product claims to be "splash-proof." In the user guide, however, is a caveat: "Do not keep the apparatus in a high humidity area such as a bathroom, kitchen sink, or pool." However, that sounds like mostly standard lawyer talk for any electrical appliance.

A product sample was provided by the manufacturer in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

Rokit Boost SwageU Black Bluetooth Headphones with Built-In Microphone, Music and Hands Free Calling - Black
Offered by Rokit Boost
Price: $55.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An innovative design that really works, July 10, 2014
Length:: 1:02 Mins

Technically speaking, the Rokit Boost SwageU headphones aren't really headphones at all, since they hang around the neck, with connected earbuds that deliver the audio. And they work pretty well. They're comfortable, weighing only an ounce and a half, so you barely notice them. The earbuds are held in place magnetically until you put them in your ears, and if one does pop out of your ear, it's suspended by a short cable and can't go far.

The headphones paired easily with my Android tablet as device "SwageU." To my ears, the audio quality was very good. Vocals had good clarity, and the bass was excellent, sounding especially good on drum riffs. I checked the stereo channel balance and separation with some stereo setup MP3s, and they were spot-on.

The volume controls are on the left side of the headphone frame. On the right side are the play/pause, return to beginning, and advance track controls. The control buttons are raised enough that it's fairly easy to feel them and learn their positions.

To verify the Bluetooth range and stability, I walked around the house while wearing the headphones. I could go almost anywhere in the house without any dropouts, so the usable range had to be at least 25-30 feet even through interior walls.

I paired my Android phone with the headphones, and it was fine for hands-free calling, with good volume and voice clarity. The headphones have a small microphone on the base of the left side for phone calls. The user guide indicates that the SwageU can be paired with two phones simultaneously, but I didn't have a second phone to use for verifying this.

I charged the SwageU's internal battery using an AC adapter with an output of 5V~1.0A, and the included charging cable. The manufacturer states that the speaker will play for up to 8 hours on a full charge. I streamed iHeartRadio music continuously to the headphones for about 7˝ hours before the battery died, so the manufacturer's claim is pretty accurate.

A couple of extra sets of earbud cushions are included. One of these is smaller, the other is larger than the ones that come on the headphones, so most users should find a comfortable size.

These are nice headphones, especially for activities like jogging or working outdoors or just walking around in the house. They're so lightweight that you would hardly notice them around your neck. One thing I really liked about the SwageU was the ease of removing one of the earbuds while leaving the other one in, in order to listen to music, a ballgame, or whatever, and still be alert to ambient sounds. That's difficult to do with conventional headphones.

JEBSENS - USB Powered Clip Anywhere Energy Saving Led Light, Bed Light, Reading Light, Cool White
Offered by JebsensDirect
Price: $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A small, versatile light source, July 10, 2014
Length:: 0:41 Mins

This is a handy little light to have around as long as you're near a USB port. The large clip will open to about an inch, which should accommodate many tabletops, headboards, or shelves that are close by. The LED light is plenty bright enough to illuminate a book or keyboard.

I plan on packing the clip-on light on overnight trips. I can remember too many times when I've stayed in hotels where the room lighting wasn't very good, and I strained to read the keyboard on my laptop. Solution: a USB-powered clip-on light.

You can probably think of other uses for this versatile little light.

A product sample was provided for review purposes.

Children's Book: Raymond's Uncut Diamond: (Children's Picture Book On How To Develop Self Esteem And Confidence) (Ages 4-8) (Inspiring Children Books Collection)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A diamond in the rough, July 9, 2014
In the other children's stories that I've read by Assaf Marcus, the stories themselves were entertaining enough, but each one carried an underlying message about personal development. In "Raymond's Uncut Diamond," young Raymond had no confidence in himself, and he worried about his inability to excel in anything. Fortunately he had a wise old grandfather who taught Raymond using the analogy of an uncut diamond in the rough that has the potential to become a brilliant gemstone with great value when the stone is cut. The lesson helped greatly to give Raymond more confidence in himself and his potential abilities, and to inspire him to develop those abilities.

It's a valuable lesson for children to learn at an early age.

JEBSENS - DIY Stick-on 4-LED Touch Tap Light Push Light Directional Light, LED Night Light for Closets, Office Table, Attics, Garages, Car, Sheds, Storage Room
Offered by JebsensDirect
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A versatile light with many possible applications, July 9, 2014
Length:: 1:15 Mins

The light is intended for use in unlighted or poorly lighted locations. In some situations, a motion-activated light may be the best solution, but if a switch-operated light is your preference, the Jebsens touch light could be the right choice. Weighing only 4 ounces (including the 3 AAA batteries), the light can be placed on any flat surface using the adhesive pads on the back of the light. A very light touch on the switch is all it takes to turn the 4 LED lights on or off. The bar that holds the LEDs rotates from about -45 degrees to +45 degrees, giving some flexibility in where the light is directed.

I like the design of the light. If you enter an area where the light has been placed, you don't have to be able to see the touch switch clearly. All it takes is a light swipe of your hand across the light, and the LEDs come on. I can think of a number of possible uses for the light in my own home, but one use that comes to mind is under one of the kitchen cabinets to illuminate a section of the countertop that's not illuminated very well.

A product sample was provided for review purposes.

Pyle Pyle PMD48 Secure Scan Handheld Metal Detector Wand Security Scanner with Adjustable Sensitivity and Headphone Jack
Offered by DEAL CHASER
Price: $39.99
6 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to operate and very effective in detecting metal objects, July 9, 2014
Length:: 2:09 Mins

The Pyle PMD48 metal detector wand looks similar to the Pyle PMD38 Secure Scan Handheld Metal Detector Wand, but there are some significant differences. The controls are a little different, with the power switch and the reduced sensitivity switch combined into a single switch. Also, there's a 3.5mm audio jack for listening with earphones in situations where the background noise is high. Like the PMD38, this model is very effective in detecting even very small metal objects of both ferrous and nonferrous metals.

In the accompanying video, I tried the wand on a number of metal objects, and it passed with flying colors. I'm impressed with the wand. I did not expect such an inexpensive wand to work as well as it does, but the wand is remarkably effective.

The metal detector wand was provided to me for the purposes of evaluation and an honest, unbiased review, which I have done to the best of my ability.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20