Profile for J. Chambers > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Chambers RSS Feed (Georgia, United States)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mongooses! Learn About Mongooses and Enjoy Colorful Pictures - Look and Learn! (50+ Photos of Mongooses)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Facts and pictures about the fascinating mongoose, April 18, 2015
Like many folks, I first heard about mongooses in grade school while reading the Rudyard Kipling short story "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi." Author Becky Wolff fills in the gaps in my knowledge with her book, in which I learned that mongooses are small carnivores related to weasels. The book describes the different species of mongooses, their range, living habits, and diet. There are a lot of color illustrations, and my favorites were the ones showing mongooses standing upright just like meerkats. The short book is a nice introduction to mongooses for both youngsters and their parents.

I read the book for free with my Kindle Unlimited subscription.

MoJuice™ 10200mAh Portable Charger for Android & iPhone with Built in Charging Cable - Compact Size Dual USB (2.1A / 1.5A Output) - Power Bank External Battery Charger for Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 S5 Note 2 3 4 iPhone 4 4S 5 5C 5S 6 Plus iPad Air Mini Motorola Droid Nexus 4 5 7 10 LG Optimus Moto X Blackberry Kindle Tablet Cell Phones
Offered by BestSellingBrands
Price: $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An efficient high capacity portable charger, April 17, 2015
Length:: 2:52 Mins

After charging the MoJuice portable charger to 100%, I used it to recharge my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" tablet (4000mAh battery) and Kindle Fire HD 6" tablet (3400mAh battery), which were turned off during charging. I got the following results:

TEST 1
--------
Charged Samsung from 2% to 100% = (4000)(0.98) = 3920mAh (Used the built-in cable with 5V/1A max output)

TEST 2
--------
Charged Samsung from 22% to 41% = (4000)(0.19) = 760mAh (Used the built-in cable with 5V/1A max output)
Charged Kindle Fire from 6% to 62% = (0.56)(3400) = 1904mAh (Used the 2nd port with 5V/2.4A max output)
=======
Total added charge = 3920 + 760 + 1904 = 6584mAh

Charger was at 0% at end of test, so total discharge = 10200mAh

Electrical efficiency = 6584/10200 = 65%

If you do the math, you'll note that these figures are lower than the advertised 10200mAh capacity, but that's not due to false-advertising. Instead, this power loss is due to inefficiencies inherent in transferring energy from one battery to another via USB, something that all power banks have to deal with. In a 2014 study of portable battery chargers, The Wirecutter - a respected electronic testing group - found the tested chargers' efficiencies ranged from 53-69 percent. In my own tests of portable battery chargers, most have had efficiencies ranging from the upper-50s to the mid-60s. The MoJuice's efficiency is one of the higher efficiencies that I've measured in a portable battery charger.

Based on my tests, a fully charged MoJuice 10200mAh charger should be able to provide a full recharge of any mobile device whose battery has less than about 6600mAh capacity. Most cellphones and tablets on the market today require less than that, although some tablets require up to about 12,000mAh. Most smartphones and phablets could be completely recharged 2-3 times.

For its relatively small size (5.2"x2.6"x0.7") and weight (7.6 ounces), the MoJuice 10200mAh charger would be a good choice if you need high capacity for recharging mobile devices and you want a relatively lightweight, compact charger with two charging ports.

The MoJuice portable charger was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

Hiwatch TM Spider-Web Carving Pattern Hollow Out Design Antique Style Delicate Pocket Watch Vintage For Women With Gift Box
Offered by HIwatch
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice antique-looking watch and chain, April 17, 2015
Length:: 2:54 Mins

At about 1" in diameter and ½" thick, the watch looks super, and it has a bit of heft, weighing about ¾-ounce including the chain. The bronzed finish and the detailed, delicate-looking ornamentation give the watch an authentic antique look. And unlike some inexpensive costume jewelry, the chain has a clasp, which is simple to work.

But this would just be a piece of costume jewelry if the watch didn't work. So far the electronic quartz movement has been spot-on, with the watch keeping excellent time. To open the cover, just press down on the watch stem, and the cover pops open.

The watch looks much more expensive than it is. It would make a great stocking-stuffer gift for some of the young ladies in our family.

Note: The watch was provided to me by the seller in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. I was so impressed with the watch that I immediately purchased another one from Amazon so I could gift them to two nieces with upcoming birthdays.

Scaredy Cut Tiny Trim Scissors, 4.5" L X 2 " W
Scaredy Cut Tiny Trim Scissors, 4.5" L X 2 " W
Offered by SCAREDY CUT
Price: $10.95
3 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Some very well designed pet grooming scissors, April 17, 2015
Length:: 0:41 Mins

One of the dog groomers at PetSmart recommended these scissors for grooming our little Yorkie. My wife and I have been using them with a small electric trimmer for grooming her, using the scissors mostly around her face, tail, and paws. The scissors cut cleanly without pulling, and we really appreciate the rounded ends. The little rubber tip on the inside of one of the handles is a small detail, but it makes the scissors easier to use, and they're quieter too.

All-in-all, some well designed pet grooming scissors.

FYI, we paid $12.59 for the scissors at the local PetSmart store.

Conair Palm Pro Micro Pet Trimmer
Conair Palm Pro Micro Pet Trimmer
Offered by L&L Quality Merchandise
Price: $39.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for light trimming, April 17, 2015
Length:: 0:45 Mins

When grooming our Yorkie, we use some old electric clippers (formerly used for my own haircuts) for the main clipping, then we switch to the Conair trimmer for the finer details. After using it a few times, our dog has become very tolerant of the trimmer, which doesn't make much noise. Keep in mind that this is a small device with a trimmer head only 1" wide, so it's not intended for heavy clipping, just light trimming.

We're very pleased with the Conair trimmer.

FYI, we paid $19.99 for the trimmer at the local PetSmart store.

High Accuracy Mini Electronic Digital Pocket Scale Jewelry Weighing Balance Portable 500g/0.1g Counting Function Blue LCD g/tl/oz/ct
Offered by InnoLife
Price: $7.89
2 used & new from $7.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Very portable and very accurate, April 16, 2015
Length:: 5:47 Mins

At 4.7"x2.4"x0.8", the InnoLife scale is indeed pocket-sized, but even at that size, it has a lot of versatility in what you can weigh with it, and it's as accurate as other small scales that I've used. The scale also has a counting function, a feature that I've only seen in one other scale that I've used.

Using a set of certified weights, I checked the InnoLife's accuracy, and I found the scale to be accurate even at very small weights. The smallest weight I used was 100 mg (0.10 gram), and the largest was 500 grams (0.50 gram). Note that at very small weights (100 mg and 200 mg), the scale did not always register. The smallest weight that consistently registered was 300 mg (about 1/100th of an ounce). However, in my opinion, if you need to accurately weigh objects that are less than about 100 mg, you really need a laboratory scale, which is much more expensive than the InnoLife scale.

For loose items that must be weighed in a container, the tare function is indispensable. I checked the scale's tare function with a small glass bowl that we use for measuring ingredients for cooking, and it worked perfectly.

The InnoLife has an innovative counting feature for counting the number of objects that are all of equal weight. In testing this feature, I used gem clips, and the results were correct, showing the exact number of gem clips that I placed on the scale. For objects that might roll off the scale, use the tare function first with a container such as a small bowl, then drop the objects into the container.

The InnoLife pocket scale is an excellent little scale for weighing objects from as light as about 300 mg (1/100th ounce) up to just over a pound. It's simple to use and it's accurate enough for virtually any household needs.

The pocket scale was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

The Mark of Pain (Kindle Single)
The Mark of Pain (Kindle Single)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "He who saves a single soul saves the world entire", April 16, 2015
Nicknamed "Lucky" for his ability to survive in the trenches of Flanders, Adam Hope was a man haunted by his memories of the Great War. While trading cheap whiskey for timber in the former French colony that is now called Gabon, Hope had a chance encounter with Albert Schweitzer, the famed medical missionary. In an incident very reminiscent of the 1950s film "The Naked Jungle," millions of army ants were sweeping across the landscape, destroying everything in their path. The only chance for the survival of Schweitzer's mission village and its hospital lay in an untried plan proposed by Hope. If the plan worked, would Hope find redemption for a wartime incident that still haunted him in his nightly dreams?

The author has painted a vivid picture of life in the steaming hot jungles of equatorial Africa. It's also a brief but intriguing glimpse into the life of Albert Schweitzer and his work.

I read the book for free with my Kindle Unlimited subscription.

Dalstrong Infinity Blade - Professional 8" Ceramic Chef Knife - 5 Piece Gift Set - Black Mirror Finish , Sheath, Sharpener
Offered by Dalstrong
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent blade for slicing and chopping, April 15, 2015
Length:: 3:05 Mins

This is my first experience with a ceramic knife, but after using it for more than a week, I've become a believer in the strength and sharpness of the ceramic blade. My wife and I have used the Infinity Blade for slicing and chopping, and it's proven to be well suited for both tasks. The blade is nicely balanced with the top of the handle in line with the top of the blade. I measured the blade length as 8", and the comfortable-to-hold handle at 5".

As an engineer, I was interested in the composition of the ceramic blade. On Dalstrong's website, I learned that the blade is made of zirconium oxide, a crystalline derivative of the mineral baddeleyite, which after the manufacturing process produces a blade claimed to be near diamond hardness.

Based on our limited use so far, I think the blade will hold an edge very well, but when it does need sharpening, the knife set includes a two-sided sharpener that's simple enough to use. The Dalstrong website has a "How to" video on using the sharpener.

This is an impressive knife that's going to get a lot of use in our kitchen.

The Infinity Blade knife was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

Bracoo Thermal Therapy Belt(with 6 Inch Ice Hot Bag) - For Joint and Muscle
Bracoo Thermal Therapy Belt(with 6 Inch Ice Hot Bag) - For Joint and Muscle
Offered by Comfytopia
Price: $15.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up for effectiveness, comfort, and ease of use, April 14, 2015
Length:: 1:22 Mins

I've used Bracoo muscle and joint therapy products before, and they've been consistently helpful, so I was happy to try the thermal therapy belt. Both my wife and I have used the belt on our knees, and we'll give it two thumbs up for effectiveness, comfort, and ease of use. The belt is appropriate for other joints and muscles, but for both of us, our knees are in most need of this kind of therapy.

My wife prefers cold therapy, while I like warm therapy, but either way, we filled the water bag about 2/3 full of water. You can do that before inserting the bag into the opening in the belt, or you can fill it after inserting it. The bag then mushes out enough to cover a large part of the knee area. The water bag's cap screws into the bag's collar and has a large rubber ring to seal it, and we didn't observe any leakage.

In my opinion, the thermal therapy belt is a very viable alternative to the gel-pack belts that have been around for many years.

The therapy belt was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

Merci European Chocolates, 7 Ounce
Merci European Chocolates, 7 Ounce
Price: $8.21
4 used & new from $7.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Absurdly good chocolates, April 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm embarrassed to say how long the Merci chocolates lasted around my wife and me. In a couple of hours, they were all gone - the milk chocolates to my wife, and the dark chocolates to me. (And half the chocolates are milk chocolate, half are dark chocolate.) The milk chocolates have the rich creaminess that characterizes fine milk chocolates, and the semisweet dark chocolates were perfect to my taste.

The 7-ounce sampler is a very nice introduction to Merci chocolates.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20