ARRAY(0xa0667dc8)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Chambers RSS Feed (Georgia, United States)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Operation Cowboy: The Secret American Mission to Save the World's Most Beautiful Horses in the Last Days of World War II (Kindle Single)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another forgotten footnote of WWII, April 19, 2014
Operation Cowboy was another of those fascinating footnotes from World War II that has largely been forgotten in the seven decades since the war ended. In the closing days of the war, the "Monuments Men" saved priceless art that had been stolen by the Germans. In an analogous action, the participants in Operation Cowboy's mission rescued hundreds of the prized Lipizzaner horses that the Germans had taken to a facility in Czechoslovakia. There was no time to waste, since the Soviet army was approaching and would take the horses - and perhaps eat them - if they got there first.

It's an amazing story, and although the mission was successful, it was not without tragedy, as two American GIs were killed. The mission was undertaken with General Patton's knowledge, but without his official blessing. Author Stephan Talty has done a marvelous job sorting through the chaotic situation and describing how an American combat unit worked with the Germans in the last few days of the war to save the Lipizzaners.

Kava Kava Muscle Relaxant and Sleep Aid
Kava Kava Muscle Relaxant and Sleep Aid
Offered by edrugstore
Price: $0.06
10 used & new from $0.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps relieve my wife's nighttime cramps, April 19, 2014
My wife and I had our first experience with kava kava on a scuba diving trip to Fiji several years ago. On a visit to a local Fijian village, we participated in a kava ceremony. The mixture of ground kava root and water looked much like dirty dishwater, and we drank it from little bowls they gave us. I didn't notice any obvious effects from the kava, but I think they probably made a fairly weak concoction for tourists. Since then, I've read about kava and learned that it has moderate effects as a sedative, muscle relaxer, and anti-anxiety agent.

I bought the kava to see if it would help with my wife's muscle cramps in her foot that have been waking her up at night. She's been taking two tablets before going to sleep, and during the week that she's been taking kava, she's had no cramps that were painful enough to wake her. That's not conclusive evidence that the kava is helping, but in a typical week, she would have 2-3 episodes of painful cramps. That's enough improvement for me to believe that the kava is beneficial for this kind of problem.

Note: I purchased these kava tablets in a 2-pack: (2 Packs) Kava Kava Muscle Relaxant and Sleep Aid (30ct each)

(2 Packs) Kava Kava Muscle Relaxant and Sleep Aid (30ct each)
(2 Packs) Kava Kava Muscle Relaxant and Sleep Aid (30ct each)
Offered by edrugstore

Hidden Object - Tomorrowland: The Land of Machines
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great futuristic looking scenes, April 18, 2014
I loved the artwork in Tomorrowland. Each of the 20 levels is filled with futuristic machines, and even the people and animals are cyborgs - part machine and part organic. The details of some of the machines are more detailed than I expected to see in this kind of app. Each level has 9 hidden objects to be found. With three play modes and three different identification types, there are nine different variations, so you can make the game as easy or as hard as you like. For an easy no-pressure game, play the Nice and Casual mode, where there's no time limit and you get unlimited hints. Completing that game will earn you 9,000 points. For gamers who want to ramp up the difficulty and boost their scores, there are the Normal and Challenge modes.

If you're a novice at hidden object games, start with the Training Mode; it's like a tutorial, and you can stop any time and go into the regular game. With outstanding artwork and a polished gameplay system, this is a fun game for hidden object fans.

Guess Which Animal?
Guess Which Animal?
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars For animal lovers, April 18, 2014
This review is from: Guess Which Animal? (App)
This is a challenging game, but if you like wildlife shows on TV and that sort of thing, it's fun to try to identify an animal from its photo, with four multiple choice answers to choose from. Land, sea, and air animals are included. You get five guesses to start the game with. When you guess wrong, your number of guesses decreases by one. If you run out, you're offered more guesses by an in-app purchase (the extra guesses are 99˘ for five more). If you don't want to pay for the extra guesses, you can continue to play for free, but afterward, whenever you miss an animal's ID, the nag screen for the in-app purchase will pop up again. The game keeps a running score, and after playing for a while, I was 38/43, which I was proud of.

For animal lovers, it's a fun, educational game, and the animal photography is very good. I don't object to in-app purchases, mainly if they're a one-time thing, but to keep going in the game without the nag screens, you could conceivably run up a nice tab buying more guesses, so if a child is playing, make sure the parental controls are set.

GE Lighting 89888 Energy Smart LED 11-watt (60-watt equivalent) 800-Lumen A19 Light Bulb with Medium Base, 1-Pack
Offered by wooden horses
Price: $19.99
12 used & new from $16.97

5.0 out of 5 stars We're sold on LED lighting, April 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A couple of years ago, I assumed that the Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) was the future of lighting. But about two years ago, my wife and I tried a few LED light bulbs, and we liked them enough to begin replacing the incandescent light bulbs in the house with LEDs when the incandescents burned out. They weren't perfect - a couple of the first ones failed far short of their claimed life, but the newer designs seem to be lasting much longer as the technology improves. Even with the higher initial cost, the energy savings is recouping our investment. Also, both of us are at an age when getting up on a chair or stool to change overhead bulbs is risky, so the longer bulb life is a big selling point.

We're both pleased with the GE 89888 LED 11-watt bulb. We have it in a tabletop reading lamp to replace a 60-watt incandescent bulb, and to my eyes, it gives about the same illumination as the 60-watt bulb, and the color temperature (2700K) is very close to the incandescent's color temperature.

We haven't bought an incandescent or CFL bulb in several months except for those (like a dining room chandelier) where a suitable LED bulb is not available. For us, the future of lighting is definitely LEDs.

P-38 Can Opener & P-51 Can Opener
P-38 Can Opener & P-51 Can Opener
Offered by A&M Z Day Survival
Price: $1.25
8 used & new from $1.25

5.0 out of 5 stars No electricity needed, April 18, 2014
Length:: 1:00 Mins

The P-51 and P-38 can openers are perfect little devices for opening cans if you don't have a regular manual can opener. The alternative is to use a sharp knife, which usually ruins the knife. The two can openers that I received are just as pictured in the product description. I read somewhere that the small round hole in each of the openers was intended for sticking a thin piece of wire through it and dipping it in boiling water to clean it. I don't know if that's true, but it seems to make sense. In the accompanying video, I show how the P-51 is used to open a can of beans. (The procedure is identical for the P-38, which is used for thinner cans like tuna.)

These can openers are an indispensable item in any survival kit. If you don't think you would ever need one, think about the last time your power went out and the roads were impassable. Canned tuna and beans to the rescue!

Trigger Happy (Kindle Single)
Trigger Happy (Kindle Single)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stockholm syndrome at work?, April 17, 2014
I have to acknowledge that I was not too familiar with notable playwright and screenwriter Frank Gilroy, so I didn't know what to expect when I began reading "Trigger Happy." What I got was a thoroughly enjoyable story. The story was fiction intermingled with the real life criminal John Dillinger and his gang in the early 1930s. In an era when bank robbers were looked at as folk heroes by many, cub reporter Thomas Whitcomb was assigned by his newspaper to report on the Dillinger Gang. It could have been a big boost for his career, but when gang members didn't like how they were being portrayed, they kidnapped Whitcomb and forced him to write the stories the way they wanted them to read. After getting over his initial fear, Whitcomb found there were certain benefits to being with the gang, and it was fun and games for a while, but inevitably, the game turned deadly.

It was a fun story to read, a classic case of Stockholm syndrome forty years before that phrase was coined. It was humorous, suspenseful, and even poignant at times, and it kept me reading. I loved the ending, especially the surprise twist that caught me completely off guard.

Scream Female Woman Series of Pain Screams Fear Terror Human Voice Sound Effects Sound Effect Sounds EFX Sfx FX Human Screaming
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very loud bloodcurdling scream, April 17, 2014
I needed a really loud, bloodcurdling scream for a sound effect, so I sampled a lot of MP3 clips, and this one was just about perfect for what I needed.

Wine Aerator - Top Rated #1 By the Wine World - Patented Multi-stage Aeration Process Creates the Perfect Glass of Red Wine in Seconds - Perfect for Enhancing Use of Wine Decanter, Carafe, Pourer or Accessories - Makes Great Gifts for Wine Lovers - Sleek Design By Andre Lorent. Compare to Vinturi, Soiree - Makes Wine Taste so Good You'll Swear You're Drinking an Expensive Bottle of Wine Every Time Guaranteed
Offered by Andre Lorent Lifestyles
Price: $37.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Aerating in one quick, easy step, April 17, 2014
Length:: 0:45 Mins

As strange as it looks, the aerator appears to be very effective. When I used it, It was easy to see that the first stage "umbrella" was dispersing the flow into rivulets, then the second stage was mixing and aerating further, with the third stage - the air tube - adding more aeration. With the audible splashing and gurgling in addition to the visible signs of mixing, it was evident that the VinLuxe was effectively aerating the wine.

Kudos to the designer of the aerator for a well designed product.

A product sample was provided for review purposes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 11:39 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20