Profile for J. Chambers > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Chambers RSS Feed (Georgia, United States)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mpow® Cannon Portable Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Mini Speaker with Aluminum Alloy Material and Enhanced Bass, Powerful Crystal-Clear Sound, 3.5mm Audio Jack, Built-in Mic for Calls, Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 5 5S 5C, iPad 4 3 2 1, iPod, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4 ,S3, All Cell Phones and MP3 Players
Offered by Patozon
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy accessory for smartphones, October 30, 2014
I've only seen one Bluetooth speaker that was smaller than the Mpow Cannon, and it was small enough that it was called a keychain speaker. The Mpow isn't quite that small, but at 2.25"x1.75" and weighing only 3 ounces, it's small enough to drop into a backpack or purse and never notice it. And it looks rugged enough to take a lot of abuse.

The speaker paired with my phone as device "MPOW." In my opinion, the audio quality was surprisingly decent considering the size of the speaker. The specs don't list the maximum sound output, but I would guess it's about 2-3 watts. The speaker diaphragm is covered with a rubberized material. I would prefer a metal grill over the diaphragm for some protection, but it's recessed and not overly exposed.

Bluetooth range and stability weren't as good as I've had with some speakers. On a couple of excursions around my house while carrying the speaker, there were several dropouts, often at distances of barely 15 feet. For non-Bluetooth audio sources, the speaker can be hard-wired with a standard audio cable with 3.5mm plugs. And while the speaker is paired with a cellphone, you can use it to take calls - just press the button on the bottom of the case.

The product description claims up to 8 hours playback time from a fully charged battery. After charging the speaker's battery, I started streaming iHeartRadio music to the speaker. The battery lasted just over 9 hours, which is good performance for such a small device.

Note that this isn't a full-featured Bluetooth speaker that you can carry around with you and control functions like volume, play/pause, and track selection. Since those functions must be controlled from the audio source, the speaker is best used when it's close to the source. With many cellphones, the audio quality and volume aren't very good, and the Mpow speaker makes a nice accessory speaker for playing music, games, and videos. It also works with tablets, but tablets often have a good enough sound system that the speaker would not be as much of an enhancement.

A product sample was provided for evaluation and review.

Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition VN7-791G-71P5 17.3-Inch Full HD Laptop
Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition VN7-791G-71P5 17.3-Inch Full HD Laptop
Price: $1,499.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of style and power, October 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After owning several competent but middle-of-the-road laptops, it's been a real pleasure to experience the Acer Aspire V17 Nitro - a true gaming machine that excels at everything I've done with it the past two weeks. Acer is calling the Nitro a "beast," and that's a pretty accurate description.

With an Intel Core i7 processor, 256 GB solid-state drive, 1 TB hard disk drive, 16GB DDR3 memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M graphics card, a 1920x1080 HD display, and Dolby audio from four built-in speakers, the Nitro laptop is an outstanding performer for productivity software, but let's face it - this is a gaming machine, and in that role, it's a dandy. Okay, it's not the fastest gaming laptop on the market, but I ran the 3DMark benchmarking software, and the Nitro had very respectable scores, in every case higher than the average of gaming laptops benchmarked by 3DMark. Only in a few of the demos did I notice any appreciable lag where the graphics card and CPU were being pushed to their limits. For the most demanding games, I imagine you would need to run them at a reduced resolution to eliminate the lag.

The Nitro comes with 64-bit Windows 8.1 preinstalled. After getting the Windows updates and updating the Acer software, I was ready to check out the Nitro. I was amazed at how quickly the Windows log-in screen popped up (about 5 seconds after pushing the power button), obviously a product of the 256 GB solid-state drive. I'm connecting online with an old Linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHz router, and the connection has been very stable, even with the Nitro at the other end of the house from the router.

The Nitro's display uses an IPS (in-plane switching) LCD panel that produces extremely sharp images with excellent color saturation and contrast, and a wide viewing angle. The 1920x1080 (16:9) widescreen display is ideal for videos and gaming. It's not 4K, but it's almost halfway there (in scan lines, but only a fourth as many pixels), and that's pretty impressive for a laptop. The Nitro's audio is also impressive, although - let's face it - it's a laptop, and if you want really great stereophonic sound, connect some speakers or headphones with audio cable or Bluetooth. Audio volume is adjusted from the keyboard, and there's also a software HD Audio Manager for controlling speakers and microphones.

With several laptops that I've owned, I upgraded the power supply because the brick that came with the laptop got really hot, but the Nitro comes with a 135-watt power supply that hasn't run too hot, so I think it will be fine. And even after running a two-hour HD streaming video and running the 3dMark demos, the Nitro was not hot enough to make me run out to get a laptop cooling pad like I've done for the last two laptops I've owned. The Nitro's own cooling system kept the case from developing any serious hotspots that could eventually cause hardware failures. The area around the keyboard and touchpad never got more than barely warm, and the noticeably hottest area was in back of the keyboard.

Sometimes it's the little things that make a computer enjoyable to use, and with the Nitro, one of those things is the lighted keyboard. If you've ever been in a poorly lighted hotel room trying to see your laptop's keyboard, you'll appreciate that. The Nitro's keyboard lighting is red, not the white that I'm used to, but it works fine. The keys have a soft but decent tactile feel when pressing them. In front of the keyboard is a 4¼"x3" touchpad. There are no dedicated buttons - pressing down on the touchpad is interpreted as a left click, while pressing on the bottom right corner is a right click. If you're concerned about accidentally pressing on the touchpad while typing or resting your hands, the touchpad can be turned off.

Another nice little touch is the SD memory card slot on the right side. I used a 64GB SDXC card, and it was fine with read and write operations and I played some music directly from the card. Note that the SD slot is not spring-loaded like the ones on many laptops - the card protrudes about a half inch when it's inserted, which makes it easy to remove. There's a removable plastic cover for the slot, but it fits flush, and you have to hook the bottom edge with a fingernail to remove it. It's a little annoying, but it helps keep the dust out.

A few more features:

* Acer claims the fully charged battery will last four hours. I've been running the Nitro mostly on AC power, so I don't have a good feel yet for battery life.
* The DVD/Blu-ray disc tray is on the left side of the laptop. CyberLink PowerDVD 12 video software is pre-installed.
* The webcam appears to be fairly high resolution, but I could not determine what the resolution is or the frame rate. The webcam can also be used to take still images or video clips. Two stereo mics are located on the front panel about 3" apart.
* In the PC settings, the built-in Bluetooth can be turned on and off, and paired with Bluetooth devices such as speakers. This means no more having to fool with Bluetooth dongles.
* There's an HDMI port for sending what's on the laptop display to a digital TV.
* For antivirus software, McAfee LiveSafe has been pre-installed with a 1-month subscription.

The bottom line: The Acer Aspire V17 Nitro is a very stylish and powerful Windows laptop that will handle just about any kind of productivity software you can throw at it, but after hours, it becomes a splendid gaming machine and video player. At 16½"x11½" and weighing just over six pounds, it's not the most portable laptop around, but the tradeoff is the outstanding performance.

Coffee Press Replacement Screen Parts (2Pack) Universal 8 Cup Stainless Steel Mesh -Best for 34oz KONA French Press
Offered by Idylc Homes
Price: $7.99
2 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Improved mesh screen, October 30, 2014
Length:: 1:06 Mins

A few months ago, I reviewed the 34-ounce KONA French Press and gave it five stars as an attractive, easy to use, durable French press. Now there's a replacement stainless steel mesh screen that the seller says is a heavier gauge stainless steel and an improved design from the previous style that came with the press. I replaced the screen that came with the press with one of the new screens, and it works just fine in trapping coffee grounds or bits of loose tea. Whether you need to replace an old stained or frayed screen or just want to have the latest design, these are nice filters for the Kona French press or other French presses with a 3¾" inside diameter.

The replacement screens were provided to me for evaluation. I did not agree to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

FRiEQ® 4-Feet Gold Plated 3.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Car and Home Stereo Cloth Jacketed Tangle-Free Auxiliary Stereo Audio Cable Extension Fits Over Tablet & Smart Phone Cases For Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod, Samsung Galaxy, Android, MP3 Players Black/Green (Plug will be Fully Seated with Phone Case On)
Offered by LowerPriceUSA
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A heavy duty cable that works perfectly with my audio devices, October 29, 2014
Right out of the box, the cable extension was impressive, with its gold-plated plugs and the nylon fiber cloth jacket. It's a heavy duty cable that looks like it will last for many years without any problems. I used the cable with my smartphone and tablet, plugging earphones and headphones into the female plug. The beveled step design of the male plug worked as designed to allow the plug to be inserted properly into the audio jacks even with covers on the smartphone and tablet. Both the male and female connections gave a secure, reassuring feeling that they would not pop out unexpectedly.

I used several different devices with the cable, and all worked perfectly both mechanically and electronically. Some thought clearly went into the design of the cable to make a durable, long-lasting product that will serve an audiophile for many years without failing.

The cable was provided to me for evaluation. I did not agree to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

808 CANZ Bluetooth Wireless Speaker - Blue (SP880BL)
808 CANZ Bluetooth Wireless Speaker - Blue (SP880BL)
Price: Click here to see our price
82 used & new from $21.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Good audio quality with extraordinary battery life, October 29, 2014
For portable speakers, the first thing I usually test is the battery to see if it meets the advertised life, so the first thing I did was to charge the CANZ speaker overnight, then I paired it with my Android phone and started streaming iHeartRadio. The speaker played for about 15½ hours on low volume before my phone's battery died. That was more than double the 5-6 hours advertised.

The CANZ speaker is very basic, which may or may not fit your needs, depending on how you use a portable speaker. The only control on the speaker is the On/Off switch. Turning the speaker on automatically puts it into pairing mode, and it paired quickly with my phone as device "CANZ." (Note, however, that unlike some Bluetooth speakers, the CANZ cannot be used as a hands-free device for phone calls.) Since there are no other controls on the speaker, audio functions like play/pause, volume, and track selection must be controlled from your phone or tablet. This will likely mean that you'll be keeping the speaker close to your tablet or phone. You can move the speaker away from your phone, however. The stability of the Bluetooth connection was stable up to about 30 feet on a line of sight, a little less if there were intervening walls. In addition to Bluetooth, the speaker can be wired to an audio device with the included 15" audio cable.

The speaker has excellent sound, with good clarity on vocals and good bass sounds. I don't know the output wattage, but the speaker will easily fill any room with sound in most homes.

At 3¼"x2¼", the speaker is the same diameter as one of the little 7½-ounce soft drink cans, but it's only about three-fourths as tall. Weighing only 8 ounces, the speaker is easily carried in a purse or backpack. The case is a tube of heavy gauge aluminum that looks like it would withstand a lot of abuse and keep on working.

The speaker was provided to me for evaluation. I did not agree to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

SHARKK® Android 4.4 Quad-Core Smartphone / 4G HSDPA+ / GSM Unlocked / Dual SIM / 5.5" Display / 8MP Camera / Orion SHARKK® Orion Max Powered by POSH
Offered by SHARKK
Price: $109.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A big display and very good performance in an Android phone, October 28, 2014
Length:: 4:02 Mins

In the last year or so, the differences between smartphones and tablets have blurred, at least for the display size. With a diagonal display dimension of 5.5", the SHARKK Orion Max phone is approaching phablet-size, yet its overall dimensions of 6.1"x3.0"x.38" make it pocket-size (okay, a fairly deep pocket). If there's such a thing as a mini-phablet, this is it.

The first thing I did was to remove the back of the phone and insert an AT&T mini-SIM (25mm x 15mm), a 32GB micro SDHC card, and the included 2100mAh lithium-ion battery. After charging the battery with the included AC adapter (5V/0.7A) and USB charging cable, I started checking out the phone. Turning on the wi-fi, the phone detected several wireless networks near our house, about the same number as my phone and tablet pick up. I connected to our home network, then installed a couple of dozen apps, such as the Chrome browser, Watch ESPN, Watch TBS, Google Earth, Google Goggles, and some other favorites. These apps ran smoothly, including streaming videos. I installed a few games like Angry Birds, and they ran well too.

The phone came with Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) installed. One of the things I like most about Android is that when I signed into my Google account, my phone contacts and Chrome bookmarks synced and were available immediately. The phone uses most of the Android conventions, such as the power/volume down buttons to take a screenshot.

The screen display is 960x540. That's lower resolution than the big name top-of-the-line smartphones on the market today, but as a practical matter, I watched some sports and a few videos, and the images were crisp and clear with rich colors and good contrast. The viewing angle was not critical, as I've seen with some inexpensive phones and tablets; in both portrait and landscape orientation, I could move to either side and the image was still good.

With a 2100mAh battery powering the quad core processor and the 5.5" display, I wondered about the battery life, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how good it was. I pushed the battery to the limit by streaming full-screen video with sound on (low volume), and the battery lasted a few minutes over five hours. For typical mixed use of phone calls, web browsing, reading, music, and apps, I expect that the battery will last much longer than that. After draining the battery, I used the included AC charger to recharge the phone, which took about three hours.

The audio from the single speaker on the back of the phone isn't high fidelity by any means, but it's not bad either. With no background noise, the maximum volume is satisfactory (but with the back of the phone laying on a table or desk, the speaker is covered, which diminishes the volume), but as with some phones and small tablets that I've used, you may want to have an auxiliary speaker handy if the ambient noise is high. A set of decent earphones is included with the phone; the earphone cable has a microphone that can be used for hands-free phone calls. One innovative feature of the phone is an FM radio receiver for picking up FM radio stations over the airwaves. Keep the earphones handy, since they're needed to act as an antenna for the radio (use your own earphones if you like - any kind of wired earphones will do). Normally, inserting earphones into the audio jack mutes the speaker, but with the FM radio, you can choose speaker or earphones for the audio output. The FM radio app also allows you to record what's playing.

The phone has Bluetooth connectivity, although it's referred to as "WHT" for reasons unknown to me. In any case, the phone paired easily and worked well with one of my Bluetooth speakers. For non-Bluetooth speakers and headphones, the phone has a 3.5mm audio jack.

The phone has front and rear cameras. The rear camera is 8MP (3264x2448), with the front camera having 2.1MP (1664x1248) [Note that the product description indicates a 1.3MP front camera, but Antutu Benchmark shows 2.1MP.] The rear camera has an LED flash that can be turned on, turned off, or set to automatic. The camera has the typical Android camera controls, including autofocus and manual zoom. The camera also shoots 720p video, and you can zoom in or out while shooting. The rear camera is quite good, with crisp details and the ability to focus very close without using an auxiliary lens. I shot a close-up of some chrysanthemums next to our porch, and the saturated colors and crisp details were excellent for a phone camera. The front camera is located near the top right of the phone (in portrait orientation). This isn't the optimum location for video Skypeing, but it works okay, and with 2.1MP, it's one of the better front cameras that I've seen in a phone.

As I mentioned, I put a mini-SIM into one of the two SIM slots. It was a recently expired SIM that had previously been assigned a phone number, and after a few minutes online with AT&T, it was active again. I made and received a few phone calls. I also sent and received some text messages. The call quality was excellent. I did not purchase a data plan.

When I inserted the 32GB micro SDHC card in a slot inside the phone, I used the phone settings to make the card the default for writing. The phone has 4GB of internal storage memory, but after you account for the operating system and the preinstalled apps, you're not left with a lot of available memory, so don't count on installing hundreds of apps - it'll be more like a few dozen at most. The micro SDHC cards are so inexpensive now that it just makes good sense to use one if you want to store a lot of books, music, videos, and apps on the phone. And by the way, I don't like to read my Kindle books on my Moto X, but with the bigger display of the Orion Max, it's a much better reading experience.

I connected the phone to my PC with the included USB charging cable, and it appeared in Windows Explorer as a USB mass storage device (as did the micro-SDHC card in the phone). That enables you to drag and drop files between the PC and the phone.

I used the Antutu Benchmark app to see how the phone compared to other Android phones, and it scored 18,405, which Antutu labels as a "Good" score. Frankly, I'm not geeky enough to discuss the merits of the phone's 32-bit quad core 1.3 GHz CPU, but subjectively, the phone appears in most respects to be very responsive.

The phone comes as part of a complete package which includes an AC power adapter and charging cable, a set of earphones with microphone, a screen protector, and a silicone case that gives a good gripping surface and provides a decent amount of protection for the phone.

Some other details:
* With the silicone case that's included, the device weighs 7.8 ounces.
* The phone has a GPS receiver.
* The phone has an accelerometer, which enables it to play games that use tilt control.

I have no difficulty giving the phone 5 stars. It's a nice-looking phone, and nothing about it looks or feels cheaply made. In most respects, it appeared to perform about as well as my Moto X, but at about one-third the current price of an unlocked Moto X. In my opinion that makes it a good buy. I have to add that with the phone's large display, even without a SIM card, it makes a pretty nice mini Android tablet.

The phone was provided to me for evaluation and review. I did not agree to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

Pyle PSR7 Splash-Proof Water Resistant Mini Digital AM/FM Radio with Rotary Control and Hanging Strap, Analog
Price: $18.73
16 used & new from $9.10

5.0 out of 5 stars No bells and whistles, but a good basic AM/FM radio, October 28, 2014
Length:: 1:54 Mins

There are no bells and whistles on the Pyle PSR7 AM/FM splashproof radio, but it's a good basic radio that's ideal for damp conditions as well as in the shower. For the shower, I hung it over the handheld showerhead support and played the radio while I took my usual ten-minute shower. It was protected from direct spray, but it got wet from the splashing. The water didn't appear to affect it, and afterwards, I shook the water off the radio and wiped it dry with a towel. The radio has an IP44 rating, which means it's protected against spraying or splashing water. International Protection Marking codes, also known as IPX codes, classify and rate the degree of protection provided against the intrusion of dust and water by mechanical casings and electrical enclosures. The codes for water protection range from 0 to 9.

This is a very basic radio. It has analog tuning, no presets, no clock or alarm functions, and no weather radio - just AM/FM. But it brought in AM and FM stations pretty well, with more than enough volume to be heard over the shower noise, and pretty good clarity for voice and music, especially with FM stations. In our area, there are dozens of radio stations. The little radio did a fairly decent job of pulling in stations and separating them without too much bleed-over, especially for an analog tuner. Overall, I was pleased with the radio's reception. My only suggestion for improving the radio concerns the controls. The tuning is by a plastic ring with a knob on it. Inside the tuning ring is a circular disk that controls on/off and volume. The disk has a small dimple where you place your fingertip to rotate the disk. With wet hands, it would be easier to rotate if there was a raised knob instead of the dimple. But it's not a big deal, since the disk is easy enough to turn.

It's not a big radio. At 3½"x3½"x1½" and weighing a little less than 7 ounces (with batteries), it would be convenient to carry while hiking or camping or any outdoor activity, and rain or humid conditions shouldn't bother it.

The bottom line: The Pyle splashproof radio is a good choice for any kind of outdoor activities, especially if rain is in the forecast. It's also a nice radio for home when you need an inexpensive, basic radio. And of course, there's the shower.

Note: The product description includes the word "digital." With a radio, this usually means digital tuning; however, the PSR7 radio has an analog tuner, not digital.

The radio was provided to me for evaluation and review. I did not agree to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

Big Size Quality Electric Full Function Super Express Fire RTR RC Truck w/ Extending Crane Remote Control w/ Flashing Emergency Sirens and Lights
Offered by Airsoft Joe
Price: $49.99
3 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You know you always wanted to drive a fire engine, October 27, 2014
Length:: 2:15 Mins

This is a really nifty fire engine that kids or anyone who loves R/C cars will enjoy playing with. It has a small enough turn radius that it can be used indoors, but it's speedy enough that it's really best suited for outdoors on a driveway or a quiet neighborhood street. With a ground clearance less than an inch, it's not great for off-roading unless it's a fairly smooth surface.

The only thing I didn't enjoy about the fire engine was removing it from the box. It's a bit of a hassle trying to remove some tiny screws (Phillips head), but after a few minutes, the fire engine was freed, batteries inserted in the truck and controller, and it was ready to go. My wife and I played with the fire engine for about ten minutes in a cul-de-sac, and the batteries still had power left. We had the fire engine up to about 50-60 feet from the controller, and we still had positive control. And controlling the fire engine couldn't be simpler: One control for forward or reverse, and one control for left or right.

The truck is well made and is sturdy enough to survive crashes. In our playing - I mean testing - we crashed the fire engine into a curb several times with no harm. (If the front wheels get out of alignment, there's a trim control on the underside between the wheels.) And even with our tightest turns, we couldn't make it overturn.

The fire engine was provided to me for evaluation and review. I did not agree to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

Pre-Calculus: 1,001 Practice Problems For Dummies (+ Free Online Practice) (For Dummies (Math & Science))
by Mary Jane Sterling
Price: $15.25
40 used & new from $12.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine pre-calculus refresher for self-study, October 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For me, the toughest part of engineering school was the math that we had to take every quarter for the first three years. The courses were mostly calculus. If you hadn't taken calculus in high school, you had to first take a series of courses in advanced algebra, i.e., pre-calculus. They covered pretty much the same kind of topics in this book. Note that "Pre-Calculus: 1,001 Practice Problems For Dummies" is not a textbook. If you had not already been exposed to the topics in the book, you would be lost after a few pages. I believe the book is most useful as a refresher, and for that purpose, it's quite comprehensive, covering basic algebra, graphing (Cartesian and polar coordinates), logarithms, trigonometry, complex numbers, series, and limits - the topics you need a thorough background in before tackling calculus.

To complement the book, there's a website where you can log in to see the same questions from the book presented in multiple-choice format. You can customize the quizzes, or you can let the website select the questions. Registering only took a minute or so (enter your name, email, and choose a password), using the PIN code that's in the book (look on the inside front cover for a scratch-off to get the code). Registering gets you a one-year subscription to the 1,001 practice problems online.

Each chapter of the book begins with a summary of the kinds of problems in the chapter, as well as a few common mistakes to avoid. Some problems are word problems, which are a good test to see if you understand the principles involved well enough to set up the equations you need to find the solution.

More than 3/4 of the book is devoted to the answers. The answers were generally detailed enough to help you see if your reasoning and your arithmetic were correct. The book also includes a web link to a pre-calculus "cheat sheet" that provides the most frequently used formulas, with brief descriptions of what the letters and symbols represent.

I recommend "Pre-Calculus: 1,001 Practice Problems For Dummies" for anyone wanting a self-study refresher prior to studying calculus. It's absolutely essential to understand algebra and other mathematical topics before taking on calculus, and the book does a nice job of testing your understanding of pre-calculus mathematics.

Science that Changed the World: The untold story of the other 1960s revolution: Guardian Shorts (Kindle Single Book 17)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The 1960s - a decade of change in more ways than one, October 26, 2014
Author Tim Radford makes a compelling case that with all of the wars, social upheaval, and political unrest of the 1960s, many people may have overlooked the scientific revolutions of that decade. The book focuses on four areas of science that have had dramatic impacts on future generations:

* Worldwide communications networks served by orbiting satellites
* An understanding of plate tectonics and how it affects the earth's geology
* The Big Bang Theory and how it altered our view of the universe
* The eradication of smallpox

The author's approach reminded me a bit of the old TV series "Connections" (1970s) and "The Day the Universe Changed" (1980s), both hosted by science historian James Burke, who demonstrated how various discoveries, scientific achievements, and historical world events were built from one another successively in an interconnected way to bring about particular aspects of modern technology. For example, in the decades since our understanding of plate tectonics has improved, procedures have been developed which saved many lives. In Japan, as devastating as the earthquake of 2011 was, by the time the first tsunami waves reached the coast, warnings and automatic shutdowns had already begun all over the Japanese mainland, responses that saved many lives.

The book includes some fascinating tidbits of history. For example, smallpox, which was eradicated in 1977 after more than a decade of efforts by the World Health Organization, is one of only two infectious diseases to have been eradicated, the other being rinderpest (an African cattle disease), which was declared eradicated in 2011. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox was found in the mummified remains of Ramses V, an Egyptian pharaoh who died in 1157 BC, although the disease is believed to have predated Ramses by several thousand years.

On a personal note, I was a teenager in the 1960s, so I saw firsthand the scientific developments that the book describes, and how much they've influenced our lives during the half century since then. The book is a well written, very interesting account of scientific breakthroughs and developments during one of the most tumultuous decades of the 20th century.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20