Profile for J. Chambers > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Chambers RSS Feed (Georgia, United States)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DII Bone Dry Warm, Soft, Plush, Microfiber Pet Blanket for Couch, Car, Trunk, Cage, Kennel, Dog House, Blue
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Yorkie loves her new blankie, July 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 0:38 Mins

Our little Yorkie can't type, so I'll write the review for her, but in the video I made when we introduced her to the blanket, it's clear that she took to it immediately. It's as soft and fluffy as any blanket we've used for her, and she loves it.

Noza Tec GPS Sat Nav 5 Inch Touch Screen with Lifetime US and Canada Map Updates
Offered by Bailun Best Sell Com
Price: $55.88
2 used & new from $55.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for trip planning and en route navigation, July 6, 2015
Length:: 4:20 Mins

GPS receivers became popular after the year 2000 when civilians were allowed to receive non-degraded signals from GPS satellites. In recent years, these receivers became somewhat redundant as smartphones with GPS receivers and navigation software became available. But there's still a place for in-vehicle receivers, especially for people who don't have smartphones or who don't care to pay high data charges. I checked out the Noza Tec GPS receiver and found it to be a capable device that generally performed well.

In road tests, the unit did well in route planning and navigation. In addition to the graphical directions, voice prompts (a male voice) gave notice of upcoming turns. The voice also warns when you're exceeding the speed limit, but this feature can be turned off if it gets too annoying. The 5" screen is easy to read, although like all backlit displays, it tended to wash out in strong sunlight. On one of the test drives, I deliberately drove past one of the turns, and the receiver recalculated a new route in less than five seconds. In route planning, different modes of travel can be selected, as well as different types of roads to be either used or avoided, and route calculation method (fast, easy, economical, and shortest).

When you first power on the receiver, the screen is similar in appearance to a phone or tablet screen, with more than 20 icons for functions other than navigation. The Noza Tec will also play music and video files, display photos, and let you read from text files stored on a micro SD memory card. There are also a half dozen games, but the rules aren't shown, so you have to figure them out for yourself. The best of the games is probably Othello.

I did have some issues with the device. The responsiveness of the touchscreen is very poor in some screens, requiring several tries to get a control to function. This was most pronounced in settings screens. On the navigation screens, it wasn't much of a problem though. Another aggravation is the user guide. It had lots of typos, and the illustrations were small and dark, being very difficult to make out. I also have to mention that while I was driving, the car power adapter intermittently became uncomfortable warm.

Overall, I'll give the Noza Tec pretty good marks for GPS navigation, which is its primary function. I'm retired now, but before I got a smartphone with GPS a few years ago, I was still working and driving often to areas that were unfamiliar to me. I used a TomTom vehicle GPS receiver, which was invaluable in getting me to unfamiliar locations. Based on my limited evaluation, the Noza Tec GPS appears to be comparable to that TomTom in its ability to do trip planning and en route navigation. For the Noza Tec's other functions, which are primarily for entertainment, it's a mixed bag - some good, some not so good.

The kit includes the receiver/display unit, dashboard/windshield mounts, AC adapter, and a vehicle power adapter. There's also a card that provides an ID and password for accessing the Noza Tec server to download updated maps.

The Noza Tec GPS was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

King Will 8mm White Tungsten Ring Wedding Band Step Edge Brushed Center Any Size
Offered by Brandline
Price: $119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful ring that looks and feels like white gold, July 5, 2015
King Will makes inexpensive rings, but there's nothing cheap about the appearance or manufacturing quality of the rings. I've reviewed several of their rings, and each had the look and feel of an expensive piece of jewelry. The first thing I noticed was that the ring is very heavy. I looked up tungsten and found that it has virtually the same density as gold. Tungsten carbide, which this ring is made of, is about 19% less dense than pure tungsten, but since gold jewelry is always alloyed with other less dense metals, such as silver or copper, the tungsten carbide ring is about as heavy (or heavier) than the same size gold alloy ring would be. Also, tungsten carbide is much harder than gold alloys and is hypoallergenic. To give an idea of the weight of this ring, it's a size 10 and weighs 16.87 grams (0.60 ounces), compared to my 3 mm-wide white gold wedding band that weighs 2.80 grams (0.10 ounces). By the way, I've seen nice-looking rings made of stainless steel, but tungsten carbide has almost twice the density of stainless steel. You can't duplicate the heavy feel of gold with stainless steel the way tungsten does.

The ring has the polished look of white gold with a brushed-finish center and shallow rims on the edges. Frankly, as inexpensive as the ring is, you might expect some decent-looking costume jewelry, but that isn't the case at all. This is a heavy, well made, and very impressive looking piece of jewelry. The ring is packaged in a simple but attractive presentation box.

The ring was provided to me for evaluation and an honest, unbiased review.

NITECORE NL183 3.7V 2300mAh 8.5Wh 18650 Li-ion Battery Rechargeable Lithium High-capacity Battery (Nitecore NL183 Battery) (2*NL183 2300mAh Battery)
Offered by EdisonBright®
Price: $17.93
9 used & new from $14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable rechargeables for LED flashlights, July 5, 2015
A lot of the newer LED flashlights use the rechargeable 18650 Li-ion batteries. Some of these flashlights alternatively will use 3 AAA batteries instead. In the long run, though, it's less expensive to use the 18650 batteries, so I shopped around and bought the Nitecore batteries. So far they've been very reliable, and I'm very pleased with them.

King Will 8mm Men's White Tungsten Ring Comfort Fit Matte Finished Center Wedding Band
Offered by Brandline
Price: $98.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very heavy, impressive looking ring, July 5, 2015
King Will makes inexpensive rings, but there's nothing cheap about the appearance or manufacturing quality. I've reviewed several of their rings, and each had the look and feel of an expensive piece of jewelry. The first thing I noticed was that the ring is very heavy. I looked up tungsten and found that it has virtually the same density as gold. Tungsten carbide, which this ring is made of, is about 19% less dense than pure tungsten, but since gold jewelry is always alloyed with other less dense metals, such as silver or copper, the tungsten carbide ring is about as heavy (or heavier) than the same size gold alloy ring would be. Also, tungsten carbide is much harder than gold alloys and is hypoallergenic. To give an idea of the weight of the ring that I'm reviewing, it's a size 11 and weighs 16.07 grams (0.57 ounces), compared to my 3 mm-wide white gold wedding band that weighs 2.80 grams (0.10 ounces). By the way, I've seen nice-looking rings made of stainless steel, but tungsten carbide has almost twice the density of stainless steel. You can't duplicate the heavy feel of gold with stainless steel the way tungsten does.

The ring has the polished look of white gold with a brushed-finish center. Frankly, as inexpensive as the ring is, you might expect some decent-looking costume jewelry, but that isn't the case at all. This is a heavy, well made, and very impressive looking piece of jewelry. The ring is packaged in a simple but attractive presentation box.

The ring was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

XIRO Xplorer Professional Quadcopter (V Version) Drone with Remote Transmitter, UZ350V Gimbal and 1080P 30FPS HD Video Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute dream to fly for novices and experts alike, July 4, 2015
Length:: 9:17 Mins

I've flown about half a dozen quadcopters, and all of them proved to be decent flyers, but they all had a learning curve, and all had to go through a process - sometimes tedious - of trimming the controls for stability. Then I flew the XIRO Xplorer. The Xplorer is not in any way comparable to anything I've ever flown before. I assumed that something this sophisticated would require a long learning period with a lot of crashes. Not so. Right out of the box, a rank beginner can fly the Xplorer. With its GPS keeping track of where it is, I watched the Xplorer hover almost motionless while being buffeted by 25-mph wind gusts as a storm approached. Then I put it into "headless" mode and pulled the joystick toward me, pushed a button and took my hands off the controller, and watched it softly land itself right at my feet.

The first thing you'll need to do is install a XIRO app on your iPhone or Android phone. That will let you change the camera settings and see a live view of what the camera is seeing. You can also record the video on a micro-SD card. The camera is held by a shock-mounted gimbal that compensates for the roll, pitch, and yaw of the Xplorer to give a remarkably steady video. You can also take 14-megapixel still images, although you must interrupt the video recording to do so.

There are three flight level selections you can set on the controller. I won't go into details about these, but basically Level 1 limits the altitude, speed, and range. Use this level while you're learning what the Xplorer will do. With Level 3, the Xplorer screams across the sky very fast, at altitudes up to 120 meters, at ranges up to 600 meters. I didn't put a stopwatch on the flight durations, but flying in Level 1, I think we got close to the advertised 25 minutes of flight from the fully charged 5200mAh battery.

Some additional comments:
* There are two flight modes - GPS mode and Altitude mode. GPS mode uses 6 or more satellites to guide the Xplorer. The Xplorer automatically goes into Altitude mode when there are less than 6 satellites. In Altitude mode, the Xplorer will not hold station, will not return home, and will not fly headless. Realistically, in open areas, you'll usually have 6 or more satellites acquired. In built-up areas with multistory buildings close to you, the Xplorer may go into Altitude mode until you have at least 6 satellites. The XIRO app will display the number of satellites on your phone. Also, instead of the live camera view, you can switch to a map view that traces the Xplorer's location on a map of the area.
* Green lights and yellow lights on the back of the Xplorer denote the difference between GPS mode flight and Altitude mode flight. I found the yellow lights to be a bit ambiguous, since they appear kind of a yellow-green, especially in overcast conditions. The green lights, however, are very green. It's a minor criticism, though, since if the Xplorer drops out of GPS mode, you'll know it.
* The folding landing gear is a nice feature; however, with the camera and gimbal attached, the gear must be in the down position, and the legs don't lock securely in place. I would prefer a more positive locking mechanism. Again, this is a minor criticism.
* The wi-fi connection from my phone to the Xplorer. This was a bit frustrating at times. If I was close to my house, my phone kept wanting to switch to my home wi-fi and lose connection with the Xplorer. Note that this never happened in flight, only initially when I was making the connection. Also, it may have just been my phone, and in any case, once I was out of range of my home wi-fi, it wasn't an issue at all.
* There is a compass calibration procedure that needs to be done when you move to a new location. At the end of the procedure, the user guide indicates that you'll see blinking green or yellow lights. They're actually bright white lights, not green or yellow.
* The product description and an FAQ I received mention flying to GPS waypoints that have been set, but I didn't find anything about this in the user guide.
* The user guide recommends that inexperienced users install propeller guards, but they weren't included in the Xplorer kit. I believe they may be an optional extra. I will say this: I've been nicked by propellers in smaller, less powerful quads, and it stung but it didn't break the skin. The Xplorer's motors are very powerful, and the propellers are spinning at a high rpm. You do not want to get clipped by one, so be careful.

Summing it all up, the Xplorer is a magnificent flying machine. It's made for serious business like aerial reconnaissance or videography, but it's also great fun to just zip around the sky. As sophisticated as it is, it's also so easy to fly that even a novice can fly it easily. Note that it doesn't do flips or other aerobatic maneuvers. (If that's what you want in a flyer, a $50 quadcopter will do that.) I almost hate to call the Xplorer a quadcopter. It's so much more advanced than the quadcopters that I've flown that it's in a different league. This is truly an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, or drone if you prefer.

See my accompanying video for more details about flying the Xplorer. Please note that I had to compress the video file in order to get in all the footage I needed, so it looks best in a smaller window.

The drone was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

V7 Bluetooth Water Resistant Rechargeable 3W Speaker with built-in mic and hands free calls - Outdoor and indoor use - Black SP5100-BLK for Apple iPhone 6/5S/5C/5/4S/4, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3/S2, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 920 and Note 3 and more
Offered by AV House
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice way to enhance your phone or tablet's speaker - 4½ stars, July 4, 2015
Length:: 3:00 Mins

It resembles a little barrel or a truncated egg, covered in protective rubber armor, and it has pretty good sound. That's how I would sum up the V7 SP5100 speaker, which at 3" high and weighing 7 ounces, is about as portable as an auxiliary speaker can be. It's water resistant, and the thick rubber (or silicone) ribs that encase the speaker should protect it in case it's bumped or dropped.

The SP5100 paired easily with my smartphone as device "SP5100." The sound radiates from the top and spreads in all directions, and the audio quality is very acceptable for a small speaker. The controls are on the side of the speaker and are similar to those on many other Bluetooth speakers, so they're pretty intuitive (long press for volume, short press for track control). The USB charging port and the audio input port are covered with a rubber flap to keep water out.

To check the battery life, I charged the battery, then began streaming iHeartRadio with the volume set to medium-low. The speaker played for 9¼ hours before the low battery warning started beeping, which I consider good for a small portable speaker.

Any negatives? Yes, the speaker's wireless range is limited. I was getting sporadic dropouts as little as 20 feet away on line-of-sight or when there was more than one interior wall between the speaker and the source. So plan on keeping the speaker pretty close to your phone or tablet.

I like this little speaker. It's small enough to be very portable, it's built to take some abuse, the audio quality is good (better than your phone, I guarantee), and the battery life is very good.

The speaker was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

The Man Who Remembered The Moon (Kindle Single)
The Man Who Remembered The Moon (Kindle Single)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "Maybe there is a moon; maybe it's the man who remembered it who isn't real", July 4, 2015
One person's perceived reality may be totally different from another person's reality. When Daniel Hale suddenly noticed that the moon was missing from the night sky, he was dumbfounded when his family and friends insisted that there never was a moon. Hale's insistence that the moon had just vanished resulted in his being institutionalized, where psychiatrist Marvin Pallister went to work on him, eventually writing a book about Hale and his imaginary moon.

While in the mental hospital, Hale worked tirelessly to prove he was right and the world was wrong. At his wits end at one point, he was ready to give up and surrender the idea of a moon, but Dr. Pallister refused to let him off the hook so easily. The two men continued their mental sparring, using clever logical constructs to make their case. In the end, readers will have to decide for themselves which man's conclusions were the most likely answer to the conundrum.

The story was a fascinating and very readable study of how the human mind works to develop and justify people's own realities. Kudos to the author for a well written, engaging story.

V7 USB Powered 2.0 Desktop PC and Notebook Stereo Speaker for Dell/Asus/Acer/HP/Toshiba/Lenovo, Black (SP2000-USB-1NC)
Offered by pcrush-outlet
Price: $10.29
16 used & new from $7.45

4.0 out of 5 stars A step up from laptop speakers, July 3, 2015
Length:: 2:01 Mins

My laptop has pretty decent audio as laptops go, but when all is said and done, those little speakers just can't faithfully reproduce sound the way bigger speakers can. The V7 SP2000 USB-powered speakers are an improvement, with good clarity and clean sound, although the bass was not as solid as with some auxiliary speakers that I've listened to.

The speakers took only seconds to install - plug the 3.5mm audio plug into the computer's audio port, and plug the USB cable into a USB port, turn on the audio, and adjust the volume either on your computer or at the side of one of the V7 speakers. (Note that the volume control is on the right speaker - set that speaker on the right side if you want stereo to be played correctly.) The speakers can be set up to about 34" apart for maximum separation of the left and right stereo channels.

There's also another use for the SP2000 speakers. Insert the audio plug into the audio port of your smartphone, tablet, or MP3 player, and plug the USB cable into the output port of a portable battery. It works like a charm.

The 2¾"-wide speakers don't take up much space on your desktop, but they make a real difference in the audio quality of your music. If the bass was a bit more pronounced, these would be 5-star speakers.

The speaker system was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

Panasonic RPHJE190K Headphones
Panasonic RPHJE190K Headphones
Offered by Elvee Digital
Price: Click here to see our price
82 used & new from $12.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Compares favorably to more expensive earphones, July 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A few years ago, I bought the Panasonic RPHJE120K In-Ear Headphone, Black to have an inexpensive set of earphones for traveling. They only cost about $5, so I figured if I left them on a plane or lost them, it was no big deal. As inexpensive as they were, the audio quality was surprisingly good. The Panasonic RPHJE190K earphones are similar to the RPHJE120K earphones with some minor improvements and a couple of extra sets of earbuds. I checked the specs, and here's a comparison of the two earphones:

RPHJE190K

Frequency response: 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Sensitivity (dB/mW): 97
Impedance (ohm/1kHz): 16
Max input (mW): 200

To my ear, the RPHJE190K earphones sound about as good as some earphones I've used that cost several times as much. They're also fairly comfortable, and if the eartips don't fit well, there are two other pairs of eartips with different sizes.

I have no problem giving the RPHJE190K earphones a 5-star rating. They're remarkably good for the money. But are these earphones worth paying about twice the price of the RPHJE120K earphones? In my opinion, as much as I like the RPHJE190K earphones, I think the less expensive RPHJE120K earphones are a better buy for most people. The frequency response of the RPHJE190K earphones is slightly broader than the RPHJE120K earphones, but I'm not sure if anyone other than a serious audiophile could tell the difference.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20