Profile for M. E. Apley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. E. Apley "MapleWhy" RSS Feed (Chicago)

Dare to Be Stupid
Dare to Be Stupid
Price: $8.42
27 used & new from $2.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupidly Awesome, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Dare to Be Stupid (Audio CD)
Let me be clear. Weird Al is cool... if you are twelve years old or under. His music is awesome if you are somewhat removed from the "in" crowd but are aware enough to enjoy solid parody. This album was one of the first cassette tapes I owned, and I wore it out. "One More Minute" made me laugh until I cried and made me cry until I laughed, but yeah, I was about 10 years old.

Weird Al is an artist in the sense that he takes what we take for granted and makes something absurd but poetic from it's origin. He understands why what's selling is selling and he mocks and exults it simultaneously. Sharing this music with my kids I realize that the music itself transcends the parody to an extent. They just ask me to play the "funny music" when they want to hear this album. Makes road trips more enjoyable at the very least.

Sonor / 13 Bar Glockenspiel (Xylophone)
Sonor / 13 Bar Glockenspiel (Xylophone)
Offered by 4% for Change for Children
Price: $45.98
2 used & new from $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter that actually sounds good, December 29, 2012
Our son wanted a Xylophone for his fifth birthday. We sort of dreaded the idea of hearing off-pitch clinking ringing through the house. This Glockenspiel is well tuned and edges more toward beginner instrument rather than simple toy. We couldn't be happier!

Never Leave Your Block: Adventures in Urban Living
Never Leave Your Block: Adventures in Urban Living
by Scott Jacobs
Price: $11.98
38 used & new from $0.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban stories told exceptionally well, October 28, 2012
The book signing party for this work was held in the local convenience store. Scott Jacobs is a man who stands by his neighborhood in every way. The stories contained in this charming work range from lighthearted and funny to touching and dramatic, though most are warmly humorous. Taken as a whole, they paint a picture of a corner of America that has gone through tremendous change and come out the other side to emerge as a diverse, comfortable place to live, though not without a few scars - much like the rest of the world. Jacobs' particular journalistic perspective shows us this slice of life through the eyes of a reformed cynic, someone who holds each story, and the people he portrays in the highest regard. It's a fun and engaging read.

Nick Blase: The Prince of Niles, Illinois
Nick Blase: The Prince of Niles, Illinois
by Andrew Schneider
Price: $17.85
29 used & new from $10.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Big politics in a small town, October 28, 2012
Schneider's work as reporter at the Niles Herald informs an in depth look at the life and times of the longest sitting Mayor in America, Nick Blase. This is a compelling read, and a marvelous examination of small town politics played out in grand, machine-like fashion. I would imagine its more entertaining for someone unfamiliar with Niles than a resident, as some of the subject matter may be too close for comfort. But, if you're into stories about politics at the local level, this is an honest and satisfying read.

Monsters Eat Whiny Children
Monsters Eat Whiny Children
by Bruce Eric Kaplan
Price: $9.65
65 used & new from $4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Funny, January 9, 2011
After spending what seems like a ton of time reprimanding our children for whining, this book is a great way to lighten the mood and open up the dialogue about the topic. It shows that this is a universal point of concern, and the story itself is a cute exploration of a simple but impossible goal. My 5 and 3 year old's both love it.

Misto Brushed Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer
Misto Brushed Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer
Price: $9.99
42 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and fun tool, May 31, 2010
I saw Rick Bayless using something like this on grilled veggies on the grill and thought it would be worth a try. This one has worked well for me the past few months. It's relatively easy to clean, super easy to use, and it works great for vegetables, or whatever you're cooking.

I'm a terrible cook, generally speaking, so take this review for what it's worth. But, spraying the oil rather than spreading coats more evenly. Just make sure to keep the pressure high enough, or you'll get uneven droplets and a less favorable effect.

CaseCrown Slim Fit Case for Apple iPhone 3G and 3GS - Red
CaseCrown Slim Fit Case for Apple iPhone 3G and 3GS - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars What a nice case..., August 11, 2009
This case for my iPhone 3GS protects the device while looking sharp and barely making an impact on my pocket. I've had strangers on multiple occasions ask about it, and the fact is, I barely notice its there. I highly recommend this case if you can get it for a good price as it will suit almost all needs short of intense athletic competition or ridiculously rugged terrain.