Profile for J. L. Gray > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. L. Gray RSS Feed (Chester, VA)

Page: 1 | 2
POWER A DualShock 4 Controller Charging Station for PlayStation 4
POWER A DualShock 4 Controller Charging Station for PlayStation 4
Price: $22.46
25 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Charging Solution for the PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller!, December 1, 2013
Based on my experience with other external charging devices for the PS3, I had low expectations for this item. I was very pleasantly surprised when I received it. The charger works with the PS4 controllers without the addition of extra items to the controller. It connects to the bottom port of the controller and presses down to engage the charging function. The base is very stable and adequately supports two controllers at the same time. I like the design with the lights of the controller pointing up so you can see the glow of the light until charging is complete. A push down on the controller disengages the charging function and the controller is free to play.
I realize some people may not see the point of an external charger as the PS4 will charge controllers in standby mode, but it keeps the clutter around the PS4 to a minimum and keeps all the USB ports on the front of the PS4 free.

Lego City: Undercover - Nintendo Wii U
Lego City: Undercover - Nintendo Wii U
Offered by best tech for you
Price: $37.99
57 used & new from $24.94

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one HUGE game!!, March 29, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As an avid video game player, I have always loved the LEGO games on all systems. Every one of them are Day 1 purchases for me as I enjoy the puzzles and challenges that lie within. The great thing about them is I can play them with my daughters and have good clean family fun.

As far as LEGO City: Undercover is concerned, it does not disappoint. The game is huge. The last time I checked based on the game's clock, I had 27 hours in it and was just less than 60% completed. There are so many different items to find in the "story" levels as well as the city itself. As with other LEGO games, it is imperative that you complete all the story levels first to unlock the key characters before getting too deep into the story free play and the city exploration.

The graphics are sharp with no noticeable slowdown in busy sections of the game. The Wii U controller is implemented in some creative ways to enhance gameplay.

Even though it is a great game, the one thing missing, in my opinion, is multiplayer. I really wish they would have implemented the ability to add a second player using the Wii remotes or the Pro Controller like many other games currently do. This would allow me and my daughters to play together rather than them watching me play and keeping lookout for hidden items.

Of all the games I have played on Wii U, this is the one I have played the most by far! If you are looking for a good platform/puzzler and don't mind the lack of multiplayer, it is worth the price of admission.

Laza Zip Grip iPad Pouch Sleeve + Smart Cover Compatable Back Cover Case for iPad 2 iPad 3 The New Ipad (Smart Cover Not included)- Clear
Offered by laza
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad!, October 20, 2012
I purchased this kit to provide some protection for the back of my new iPad. I had one of the smart covers on the front, but felt like the back was very susceptible to scratching and scuffing. All of the products in the kit exceeded my expectations other than snap on back case (which is why I bought this set).

On the new iPad (third generation), the snap on back case did not seem to fit exactly right. It did go on, but seemed to be a bit stressed. After a couple of weeks, the iPad fell off of an end table on to an area rug over hardwood flooring. That was pretty much the end of the back case. It cracked on one of the corners would not stay on the iPad.

The other products in the kit have held up very well. The stylus works great and the neoprene sleeve is pretty good quality.

Overall, based on the price, there were no other products that could come close to value for price paid. Buying a stylus alone can easily cost more than this entire kit did. Add in the neoprene sleeve and it is a steal.

I would recommend this kit to anyone that wants the sleeve and stylus, I would not recommend buying it for the back case.

After the back cover broke, I ended up buying one of the Apple Smart Cases that include the magnetic smart cover with back protection all in one piece. That case has served my needs well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2012 11:56 AM PDT

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Laptops 15 Inches and Above (NEWEST VERSION)
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Laptops 15 Inches and Above (NEWEST VERSION)
6 used & new from $250.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price for Extended Apple Coverage, October 20, 2012
I bought this at Amazon due to the low price compared to buying it from Apple or Best Buy. On-line registration was simple and got confirmation immediately from Apple that the extended protection was in place.

I typically don't buy extended protection plans, but with the amount of money I have invested in my MBP and easy access to an Apple Store, I went ahead an picked this up. Prior to getting the plan, I had to have my battery replaced on by early 2011 MBP. After visiting the Genius Bar and having the battery replaced without any hassles under the computer's original warranty, I chose to buy the Apple Protection Plan instead of third party protection. Having the ability to take the computer to the store and have it fixed is a plus in my opinion.

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Playstation 3
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Playstation 3
Offered by Isomergames
Price: $16.79
88 used & new from $7.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Legos that talk, October 20, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I have played every Lego video game since Lego Star Wars came out. Batman 2 is one of the best ones that I have played. It is also the first one where the Lego characters actually talk. As with previous Lego games, the game really starts when you complete the story levels and go back through the game to find all the characters, gold blocks and vehicles. There are plenty of hidden things to find in the open world part of the game as well as the story segments. I believe this may be the biggest Lego game made to this point in terms of length of time to finish while completing the game to 100%.

Overall, it provided around 20-25 hours of enjoyment while working toward the PSN platinum trophy. There are a lot of characters including most of the DC comic heroes and villains. The humor level is typical of other lego games (except there are actually voices rather than just acting scenes), the controls graphic and sound are pretty much the same as the other Lego titles.

If you like any of the Lego games and have an interest in Batman and DC comics, I would recommend picking this up. It is a step in the right direction for the Lego games, but the formula is very familiar.

LeapFrog LeapPad1 Gel Skin, Purple (Works only with LeapPad1)
LeapFrog LeapPad1 Gel Skin, Purple (Works only with LeapPad1)
Price: $3.12
17 used & new from $3.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Provides Great Protection, October 20, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
My 3 year-old got the LeapPad for her birthday. Knowing how "gentle" she is with all of her other toys, my wife and I felt like it would be a good idea to buy this cover to add some protection and grip to the LeapPad.

The Gel Skin fits the bill well. It has proven to be durable and has been able to withstand the daily torture that my kids put on the device.

The only downside I see to the Gel Skin is the fact you have to take it off to change the batteries in the LeapPad. This is not the fault of the case, but just how the LeapPad is designed. Since the Skin fits so tightly, it can be a little tough to get on and off, especially when the stylus is attached by a string.

Overall, it has held up well in the last 5 months of use and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to add a little protection to the LeapPad.

Ratchet & Clank Collection
Ratchet & Clank Collection
Offered by Worldwide Sales
Price: $18.95
82 used & new from $11.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compilation, October 20, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have played video games for many years, but never played R&C prior to getting a PS3. I got really hooked on R&C after playing the Ratchet and Clank Future games on PS3 and had a desire to play the previous generation versions of the games. Since I donated my PS2 system to a college research project and my backward compatible PS3 had a heat stroke, this compilation was my chance!

This is a phenomenal deal to get three full games that are upconverted to HD and 3d on one disk. The quality of the graphics are not current generation quality but are very crisp and clean - you have to remember these games were originally created for the prior generation systems. I have played them in 3d some, and the effect is probably a little bit less pronounced than with current generation games that are created with 3d in mind. This is not a knock on the game, just an opinion. Controls and sound are also very solid.

If you have never played a Ratchet and Clank game, look it up on the internet to see if you may have any interest in the type of game play. If you like the adventure/platformer genre, quit reading this and buy it now. The humor of the series and the over-the-top weaponry make these games a blast to play.

If you have played them before and want to relive your glory days, buy it. Obviously, they are the same games that were previously released, but it is really cool to start with the first game and see how the series progressed over each title.

This is the best PS3 compilation that I have and I obviously highly recommend it.

IRIS LEGO 3-Case Workstation and Storage Tabletop with 1 Base Plate
IRIS LEGO 3-Case Workstation and Storage Tabletop with 1 Base Plate

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Storage Set, October 20, 2012
One of the "family fun time" activities in my household is playing with Legos. I bought this storage set to wrangle in the mess that always ensues when my 5 year old and 3 year old play with Legos. The storage set is a nice size and holds all of our Legos in a neat manner. The baseplate that comes with it is nice and sturdy and provides a good starting point for many of the projects we create.

The quality of the cases is really nice. They latch tightly and I have had no unexpected opening and dumping of Legos across the floor. The cases slide into the stand and fit snugly. Overall, I would recommend this product to anyone that wants a tidy way to store normal sized Lego blocks (not Duplo sized). The stand should fit under most end tables/coffee tables.

BIGS Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sunflower Seeds, 5.35-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12)
BIGS Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sunflower Seeds, 5.35-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12)
Price: $24.92
2 used & new from $16.57

5.0 out of 5 stars I love BIGS!!, October 20, 2012
I have been a sunflower seed aficionado for quite a few years. I was turned on to the BIGS brand a couple of years ago and tried a sampler pack when I fell in love with these seeds. The Buffalo Wing flavor is nicely balanced - not really hot - but it does have the vinegary hot sauce flavor that you would expect. The size and quality of the seeds themselves are great. If you like sunflower seeds and you like buffalo wings - you can't go wrong.

World Of Zoo - Nintendo Wii
World Of Zoo - Nintendo Wii
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $10.25
60 used & new from $3.14

3.0 out of 5 stars A little tough to figure out, October 20, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased this game for my 5 year old and I to play together due to the subject matter. The game itself is nice and slow paced and really has no objectives other than leveling up from what I can tell. You take care of and feed various animals to earn coins in order to unlock other types of animals, tools, food, habitats, etc. The biggest problem with the game is the in-game instructions are pretty much non-existent, and if you have purchased a video game in the last 5 years, you know about the manual. I have played video games for years on practically every home console ever made and found this difficult to figure out how to advance.

It still provides enjoyment for my children and I (ages 5 and 3), but in my opinion, there is no way for a younger aged child to figure out what to do. If you plan for an adult to play with a child, then the game OK, but I would not expect any aged child to pick up and play this game very long by him/herself.

Page: 1 | 2