Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now PlasmaCar
Profile for pasteyswazey > Reviews

pasteyswazey's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

pasteyswazey "pasteyswazey" RSS Feed (Raleigh, North Carolina)

Duke Nukem Forever - Playstation 3
Duke Nukem Forever - Playstation 3
Offered by drum_video_games
Price: $14.35
176 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Just play it first, you won't be dissappointed., June 18, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Whence cometh all of the negative reviews? I checked out Kevin VanOrd's(sp?) review on Gamespot, I go there a lot--love the videos, and he gave it a 3. It's hard to imagine it got a 3 when, and I'll go back to this a lot, then next game is my benchmark for bad games . . . Golden Axe got a 5. It's better than Golden Axe, and much easier to control than Transformers: The Game which got a 6. And it's a little just more plain simple fun than Fracture which got something like a 5.5, I think, can't remember all of those scores. But the reason I throw all of these other names in is so someone interested in playing the game might get some sense of how this games compares to other games and decide if you'll give it a try or not.

Let me begin by saying that this game is fun. You won't really know this though until you get past the first 4 levels. The game started to really pick up for me when Duke gets to the Lady Killer casino. That's when the gun blazing, better stream of enemies, game enjoyment starts to show itself. And that's the only reason I gave this game an overall score of 4 out of 5, the slow intro. It's fun factor for me was definitely a 5. And I want to emphasize some of the things I've read from Elias L. Blondeau's insightful review, and OddGoose's complete, unabridged, comprehensive review. I think those reviewers giving the game a 1, never made it past the demo stage.

So, here's the fun part about this game. Challenge. No hand holding. Want a cheap death if your not careful, it's there. Want to feel lost for just a little bit but surprised at yourself when you figure out the puzzle/direction, it's there. Want to interact with your environment in a way most other games ignore, it's there. I might compare this interactiveness with your environment similar to Oblivion, I read somewhere there you can set the table if you want, or Red Dead Redemption, playing cards for a while. Duke Nukem even had those old poker game machines where you hold and discard cards--that was fun to try a bit of for me. This next detail might go into too much depth, but as I've read from others, you can even play air hockey--I love air hockey, but I didn't do that too long as I wanted to get back to blasting enemies.

Okay, so the challenge and environmental interactivity may be a couple of big interests points, but now to address the character of the game . . . this is another big area that hooked me. This game absolutely has to outshine The Force Unleashed II, because unlike that protagonist--a clone who doesn't really know who he is--Duke Nukem never forgets who he is, ha. "Hail to the King, Baby." He has a much over inflated opinion of himself and that kept me laughing through the whole game. It also made me even feel better about myself as, as Duke, I'd walk into a room and everyone would fawn over me. You could even hear a conversation from "real" soldiers on the battlefield before you get there who are dying or in their final stages that are overwhelmed with gratitude that you finally showed up to blast the aliens, when they've probably done most of the hard work themselves.

This game is what you'd expect. As the box prints a review from GamePro, "a booze-ghugging, stripper-ogling, baddie-blasting good time." But what you might not expect are the excellent set pieces. Having been to Las Vegas before and actually visited the Hoover Dam and taken ATV rides in the Nevada desert myself, this game appealed to me on another level. The locations in this game are great. Like I said, if you can make it through the first four levels, you're golden.

And now to the other bonus, all of the classical game references, movie star references, '90 action film references. If you can find it, I found allusions to Robocop, Total Recall, Terminator, Predator, and a host of other movies in the game. I won't spoil if for you, but as your fleeing the dam near the end, there's another wisecrack as he gets to the top that made me smile and chuckle. This shows that the development team paid much attention to the context of this game. But to get these you need to probably be the average age gamer right now, 34 yrs. old. I read somewhere the average was 37 and another place 34, but if they were trying to hit that market, they nailed it. And before this, I had never played a Duke Nukem game. I was introduced to the series with this one and really enjoyed it. Maybe I enjoyed it more because of this because one complaint that I've found is that it's not quite as complex as Duke Nukem 3D.

And finally, to reemphasize, I found the challenge of this game crazy good. There are load times, but I enjoyed Splatterhouse a lot, and if I could live through those load times, this was a piece of cake. Some parts of Duke are hard, but when I got it, I was like, "take that you alien scum." So, I welcomed the challenge overall. Oh, and a side reason that might interest some in this game, a strip club. You'll never same money at a real strip club like you will with just experiencing the one in this game. They're the exact same, but if you just go to the one in the game, you won't catch a cold or worse.

Only a couple of drawbacks so far for me: 1) The game froze 2x on me, and I hope this just isn't my PS3; 2) I tried getting online with the game, but my 1.01 update would never download and I don't know if it's my connection or the PSN network or what, but I never experienced the multiplayer at the time of this review.

After Golden Axe, I rent any games with a big name title first, as I rented this one first to give it a try; and being the cheap gamer I am, I never buy games right when they're released no matter how good, but you can bet, the first sale I see, I'm adding Duke Nukem to my library. It's a big game. I probably finished it in 10-15 hrs. or so, you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and too, it does have a mature rating, for a good reason. Plenty of cursing and visuals that you don't want the children to be hearing/watching. Even though it's a mature game with lewd humor, at the end it gives you the definitive time line of everything that went into the 15 year development. The game itself is a piece of gaming history and you can learn a lot about the whole legality of game production from just reading the timeline.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions - Playstation 3
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions - Playstation 3
Offered by SJVIDEO
Price: $61.99
69 used & new from $18.80

5.0 out of 5 stars THWIP! And a Face Punch: Best Spidey Game Yet., May 9, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you're looking for a real true-to-the-comic-book, real-web-swing-feel Spider action game, this is simply a must have. One of the most innovative battle sequences I have seen is found in this game. There are a couple of sequences when fighting some of the main bosses that you're going at them in what feels like a nose to nose battle. With what feels like to me a nod to the original Mike Tyson's Punch Out, with several of the bosses you'll have a chance to duke it out. Nothing made me feel like I was fighting them more than a swift upper cut or shot to the jaw.

That's a sneak peak about fighting, but swinging around with your webs is a great addition to that. You have to press L2 and look for the yellow arrows to zip right to your target, but I felt this was an excellent way to capture the split second decisions Spider-Man has to make when he swings into an area or swings up to a perch. I like the right on, pin point swings because it feels like you're getting a chance to use his Spidey-sense for trajectory instead of latching on to seemingly endless invisible buildings or objects. I felt like this was a real improvement over most Spider-Man games and it made me feel like I was wearing the webs.

I've read of a few complaints on the "no sandbox type" gaming in this iteration. This is far from a complaint for me. I like the more linear type games. The leveling system of your powers adds a nice non-linear piece to the linear action, and the objectives that come into play during the game are nicely done to add even more replay ability to the game--making you want to max out on the challenges and use the combo points to purchase all of the extras and upgrades. Back to the more linear gameplay. I like how in some games the developers use the action to tell the story. Don't give me a sandbox type game with pieces of the story all broken and scattered throughout the game, tell me what I'm supposed to be paying attention to, give me an objective and several ways to accomplish it, and I'll keep coming back to improve upon the puzzles and master the game and get more enjoyment out of the story. The biggest perk of the "non-sandbox style"--diverse environments. You're not always in New York. You travel everywhere in this game and it helps me feel, not only immersed, but able to enjoy the different artwork and planning, and thought that went into the game to keep the play fresh at every turn.

This game blows Web of Shadows away. I started playing that and the graphics and gameplay and voice overs and fighting in that game, well, they not only made me yawn, but they are just bad, the picture on the cover of Web of Shadows is the best part about that game. Spider learning from I think . . . the Cage guy? He seems like a simple weakling, not like the battle proven spidey like in this game. He's tough in Shattered Dimensions, and witty . . . I love the one liners. This game is also a big improvement on Spider-Man Friend or Foe. I liked that game, but it was just way too short, and the story wasn't quite as good as the one in Shattered Dimensions. Maybe it's the diversity of using Spidey in all of his different worlds that draws me in, but I just can't put down Shattered Dimensions.

I make it a strict rule to never buy any games if it has a movie attached to it and this is one time it really paid off. If you're looking for a Spider-Man game and don't want to worried about being let down, you must give this one a try. The Noir really is fun. I think the added stealth element could help it hold up as a game by itself, but right now, as far as challenge wise, I'm still finding the Spider-Man 2099 Dimension the most challenging. I have the whole 2099 Spider-Man series run and it's nice to see they polished it up and revisited it. It made for a great addition to the Spider world and I thought it was cut short way before it really developed.

Splatterhouse - Playstation 3
Splatterhouse - Playstation 3
Offered by Midwest Collections Online
Price: $39.15
68 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The voice actor is from Darkwing Duck!, November 27, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is exceedingly gross, which the producers know . . . they said that on one of their interviews I read off of gamespot, but . . . it is addictive!

In the absence of a review from any of the major critic websites--due in part to, I guess the Thanksgiving holiday and people actually taking a break from their jobs to enjoy themselves and relax, everyone needs to--I thought I'd put up a quick review to get things going.

This review is based on a 30% completion rate, so I still have more to go, but after probably close to 10 hours, I think I'm safe as to sharing an opinion as to what it's all about.

Yes, it's worth full price. Definitely. I was very skeptical at first, I though it would be like Golden Axe, playing off of a strong name, but being one of the worst ever games to play. Not at all! They took the title and improved upon it. If you were around to play the original games from Genesis and the arcade version, never saw that one in an arcade myself, but I remember seeing the Genesis version and wanting to buy it, but I had my Nintendo, this game is all of that gory fun x10. Be ready to see blood splatter. The game is fun in that it knows it's gross, and at one point, **one line spoiler alert** the actor for the mask even says, "That right there is why we got a f#$@in' "M" rating." Funniest line so far breaking the 4th wall.

There is no repetition in this game. There are a variety of evil demons to kill, and then there are similar ones, but they have different colorings and slightly different move set, just enough to keep things fresh throughout the whole game.

The most challenging part for me so far was Stage 3. Near the beginning you're jumping from roof top to roof top, but there's one part, where if you miss, I had to restart the game to reset the timing on it so the roof didn't collapse down around me before I was able to make the jump. So, you'll play for the challenge, but some parts where you just have to memorize the sequence in order to make it past, yes it's challenging and that has kept me playing it for the payoff reward when I finally do get through, but if you don't like that kind of game play it could be a major turn off point.

I also thought I'd like this game because the old ones were thrown in free, but once you get to today's current graphics, while there is some nostalgia about playing the older games, you'll be thankful the developers cared enough to really concentrate on this last iteration and pack if full of new material and new challenges. This is without a doubt a mature game, wouldn't want to play this with children in the room. But on the upside, it reminded me a lot of the first Ninja Gaiden Sigma and a little like God of War. Once you get past the learning curve, seeing all the ways you can obliterate enemies even starts to make you chuckle. I can only imagine the design teams meetings when they were thinking up all of this stuff. Someone asks, "Another question . . . how else can we make it more gory?" But the challenge is undeniable, the graphics are smooth, but some of the sequences can be frustrating, and one more of my biggest peeves, not enough variation in the load screens. I'd rather have a spinning mask than some of the creatures it shows while the game reloads after you die.

I rented this, but it is worth the money. I'll most likely grab a copy for Christmas. Fun game that you must give a try.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2012 11:04 PM PST

Dark Void - Playstation 3
Dark Void - Playstation 3
Price: $18.49
115 used & new from $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS is a fun game, June 12, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Okay, so this isn't an extensive review. The person who wrote the longer one detailing just what's great about this game and just what the critics got wrong was spot on. And I've even read the reviews not rating this game so high. Nitpicky. All the things they find faulty or challenging about this game, I just thought it was all great. And the guy that talks about the licensing?, really, you'd rather have a game called The Rocketeer? No, you wouldn't; it came out for the 8 bit Nintendo and was terrible and I will never or extremely rarely buy a licensed game because they're just making it as part of the synergy to promote the current largest media outlet of that product: movie games especially. I only make an exception for Spider-Man; I have broken down and bought two of those, but only when they were not tied to a movie of any kind, because then they were independent creations and Web of Shadows really let me down.

But back to this game. Dark Void is a blast. I love it how when you're close enough to enemies and shoot them, you hear the 'tink,' 'clink,' 'skarmp' of your laser blast pelting their metal. I like it when from wherever you start your jet blast, your characters legs flail all out like he's really blasting off--nice animation. I like the variety of attacks you can use and the different visual environments. I'm only a few hours into it and from peaking at some of the levels on youtube, I have quite a ways left to go.

This game is unbeatable for the price. I hope enough people buy this game on whichever platform so that there can be a part II. If you add this game to your library you will not be disappointed. If I had to say it was a mix of games, I'd say it was a cross somewhere between Dead Space and Uncharted. It feels a lot like Drake's brother playing the protagonist. And the neatest thing about this game, is yes, the fully 3-D environment. You can move the camera and see all angles of every piece of the level. You can attack up and right in front of you. I like how one of the in-game hints says "If you can't find where to go, look up!"

I also liked the Bionic Commando game, except for the voicing, and in a way this feels a little similar to me, but if I had to pick one to play, I'd go with this one, you can fly! Okay, I think that wraps it up. Let me get back to playing.

Bionic Commando - Playstation 3
Bionic Commando - Playstation 3
Offered by Wyatts Games
Price: $14.90
84 used & new from $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeper Hit, Challenging Game, June 26, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game has to be a sleeper hit. I didn't ever think I'd find a sleeper hit, because aside from renting, I try to wait for the huge titles to come out. I've read the past reviews and they're a mixed bag; some people don't like the game because it's not sandbox, some think the moves are restricting--this is the game I've been waiting for for the PS3.

The game is linear, but I loved the 2D format of old Nintendo games like Contra and arcade games like Street Fighter; if you like those games, this is the game you've been waiting for.

I think this game is a great evolution between last gen games and next gen gaming. If you're looking for challenge, it is here. This reminds me a lot of Ninja Gaiden Sigma--not quite that challenging, but it's one where you have to learn the moves in order to be able to progress, but even if you don't learn the moves, you can still swing around and advance in the game. It will just take you a lot longer to do it.

Grin really captured the essence of game play. I'm not all the way done with the game, I'm only about half there, but once I learned how to grapple and swing, then kite an object and throw it, and then swing into enemies and do the atomic landing from no matter how far up you fall, it is all great.

I like the sound effects of Nathan when you couple a few great swings with a few long falls; he really enjoys it, and I really enjoy landing a great grapple. The main gun sound effect is the only thing that is a little weak.

I'd highly recommend this game for anyone who's tired of "shooter" games and lame "sandbox" games that falsely offer choices to gamers, when it's still the challenge and the end of the game you're searching for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2013 4:34 AM PST