Profile for Evan the Dweezil > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 634

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Evan the Dweezil RSS Feed (A Place-Sort Of, Montana)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ethical Chic: The Inside Story of the Companies We Think We Love
Ethical Chic: The Inside Story of the Companies We Think We Love
by Fran Hawthorne
Price: $13.14
74 used & new from $2.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Author spends hundreds of pages repeating introduction, July 5, 2013
This book could be a pamphlet handed out at a health food store or a short website put together by a progressive group. It was sort of interesting how the author gave the histories of the companies she chose, but really everything she needed to say is in the introduction. Marry that with some graphics and the chapter endings, and this would have made for a much more readable and relatable collection of information.

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy)
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy)
by Leigh Bardugo
Price: $5.72
98 used & new from $1.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating story, July 5, 2013
I have to say that I absolutely did not expect to like this book since I'm typically not much of a fantasy reader. However, I liked the title and read the synopsis and figured why not? I was treated to a richly developed world with genuine characters and decent story. If I had a single complaint about this book it is that it's not long enough. I loved the take on an alternate Russia, which gave the book and the characters an interesting flavor to them. I must find the next one in the series.

The Office of Mercy: A Novel
The Office of Mercy: A Novel
by Ariel Djanikian
Price: $20.18
123 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and dull, July 5, 2013
Maybe it's because I've read so much science fiction over the years, but this book was dull and had no real twists or turns in it because I'd seen it all before. This book didn't even get any brownie points for good characters to save a derivative story. The main character was a speshul snowflayke and an utter bore. The man she thought was so wonderful suffered from the same syndrome. The Office of Mercy was less than merciful and is a definite pass.

A Serpent's Tooth: A Walt Longmire Mystery
A Serpent's Tooth: A Walt Longmire Mystery
by Craig Johnson
Price: $18.97
142 used & new from $4.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Vast Improvement Over As the Crow Flies, July 5, 2013
It was great to join Walt and Vic on a new adventure that doesn't have her off at some conference or some such. The play between these characters is fantastic and greatly appreciated by this reader. I found the cult angle interesting too, since it's not the usual sort of fanatic religious sects that tend to populate mystery novels. As a reader who is driven as much by character development as I am a good story, I was not disappointed by this book. It's novels like this that will keep me coming back to this author.

Attention All Passengers
Attention All Passengers
by William J. McGee
33 used & new from $0.03

4.0 out of 5 stars The sad story of modern air travel in the US, July 5, 2013
It's well known that flying just isn't what it was and this book lets us know the reasons why. Some things, like airlines leasing rather than owning all of their aircraft was not nearly as disturbing as the penny pinching methods employed to defer heavy maintenance. Overall, the feeling I got when I finished reading this was that the airlines are run by the same minds that have brought the likes of big banks that get a free pass and auto companies that are too big to fail. This is a good book for anyone interested in the airline industry in the US.

"B" is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries)
"B" is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries)
by Sue Grafton
14 used & new from $1.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved over "A", July 4, 2013
After listening to A is for Alibi on a long road trip, I dreaded popping this one into the CD player, but figured I didn't have a choice. Where was I going to come up with another audiobook in the middle of nowhere? I'm glad I decided to stick with this one. There was actual mystery and characterization that the first book seriously lacked, plus there was some interesting humor to go along with a truly twisted killer. This has prompted me to pick up the next two books in the series for my next long drive.

A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, No. 1)
A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, No. 1)
by Sue Grafton
Price: $11.36
137 used & new from $0.23

2.0 out of 5 stars If I hadn't been trapped in a car. . ., July 4, 2013
I listened to this book while on a 1500 mile road trip and if I hadn't needed a book to keep me awake behind the wheel, I would have stopped after disc one. Simply put, Kinsey was too stiff, the story was too predictable, and other than a couple of very minor characters, there weren't any interesting players in this novel. It gets two stars for keeping me awake.

Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects
by Gillian Flynn
Price: $8.33
247 used & new from $5.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Characters, July 4, 2013
This review is from: Sharp Objects (Paperback)
I must say that after reading this author's other two books, I knew I was in for one heck of a ride, but this being the author's first book, I have to say bravo to Ms. Flynn. I was drawn into this dark tale from the first page. The way the characters manipulate one another is simply chilling. If anything this book is a must read based on the author's brutal depictions of how women play one another.

False Mermaid
False Mermaid
by Erin Hart
21 used & new from $0.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, July 4, 2013
This review is from: False Mermaid (Hardcover)
I have to say that I wound up liking this book after passing on it at the library for about six months. I finally grabbed it and have to say the mixture of murder mystery and folklore actually worked. I've seen this sort of thing tried in other books where it hasn't worked out as well because the folklore winds up overwhelming the main story. I might have to revisit this series, though I'm not sure where the author would take it from here.

Silken Prey
Silken Prey
by John Sandford
341 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Closer to 3.75 stars, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Silken Prey (Hardcover)
Well written, interesting characters, keeps the reader engaged enough, I liked Silken Prey, but I didn't love it, mainly because political thrillers just aren't my thing. I dragged myself through the politics stuff for the more high paced parts of the book. Ultimately, this is a decent read and far outshines the previous entry in the series. And, I must say, the scariest part of Silken Prey is that there are real life politicians of any and all political parties who are Taryn Grant. Gives me shivers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20