Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Botanica 37 > Reviews

Browse

Botanica 37's Profile

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Botanica 37 RSS Feed (US)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A History of US - Concise Edition - Volume A: Prehistory to 1800
A History of US - Concise Edition - Volume A: Prehistory to 1800
by Joy Hakim
44 used & new from $0.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing at best, September 28, 2015
We are going through this as part of 5th grade K12. I am not clear whether the author really understands the meaning of "concise". There is nothing brief or comprehensive about this book. I am not sure whether the intended audience is 5th graders or younger children, but the book is not engaging my 11yo at all. The author is trying to tell a story, but she is all over the place. In the span of 3 pages, she goes from year 1000 to 16th century, then to 18th century only to go back to the 11th. Confusing much? I had to go back and re-read the whole chapter again, trying to make sense of it. The important points are lost in so much fluff. Who cares if we are in capsule or a young Indian boy, you don't have to go that far to make history interesting.

Oh, and the editing...and grammar...this is meant to be a school book, so it should be exemplary in terms of grammar and language use. This is how we teach our children. Wouldn't recommend this at all.

Aquabot ABT Turbo In-Ground Robotic Pool Cleaner
Aquabot ABT Turbo In-Ground Robotic Pool Cleaner
Price: $806.32
13 used & new from $495.00

1.0 out of 5 stars from bad to worse, August 25, 2015
This is my second Aquabot in 4 years. One thing I didn't realize before taking the plunge on this machine is that it has 2 separate motors: 1 pump motor and 1 drive motor. My first Aquabot lasted about 4 months before the pump motor died, right out of the 1 calendar year warranty. Fortunately for me, at the time, Aquabot was still doing their own repair and they did honor the warranty, so $60 shipping and 2 weeks later, I had the Aquabot back and working. The following season the drive motor died, so back it went for repair (another $60 in shipping). This time the repair estimate was in the $500s, so I decided it was not worth it. I had the bright idea to buy the exact same model (did my homework and compared the parts diagram online), in July of 2014. The two differences between the older version and the newer one were the cable: the old cable was nice and soft rubber, the new is some sort of hard plastic which is a nightmare to roll together for storage and the transformer unit (not interchangeable). The new Aquabot worked for month and a half in 2014 and about 3 months in 2015 (early August) when...the pump motor died.

I got on the phone with the manufacturer, since it was just right out of the 1 year warranty (again) only to find out that now another company is doing the service/repair. Horrible and awful experience, 40+ minutes on hold without any indications of where I am in the line and how much longer will I be on hold before reaching a human being. Finally, got to a technician, we agreed it is the pump motor, but had to ship the whole unit for repair. Didn't hear back for about a week, so I again tried to call. Took me 3 days to get a hold of someone. In the meantime, I also emailed the manufacturer with my RMA number, asking for help in tracking what is happening with my robot. Have not heard back from the manufacturer and it has been 2 weeks now, so I guess my business is really important to them.

Back to the repair, when I succeeded reaching a technician, I was told that the repair will cost $60 in labor and $30 in shipping and handling. I requested that they send me the new pump motor and I will install it myself. The technician was not happy and told me that if I do that, it will void the 6 mo pump warranty, which will cover the pump from September to February - months I don't use the robot. I decided to take a chance and go DIY. It took me about 10 min to reinstall the new pump motor and another 10 to fix the drive motor cable which was damaged by the repair service.

Bottom line, stay away from this company and their products. While waiting for the repair, I decided to bite the bullet and bought Dolphin Nautilus Plus - I wish I had done it last year. True, I now have working Aquabot and enough spare parts to last me at least another season or two, but who wants to be constantly dealing with replacing motors (around $300 each), tracks and to wash filter bags. The Nautilus cleans the pool in about half the time the Aquabot does, the filter screens are accessed from the top and a breeze to clean, the cable is nice and soft rubber that is super easy to handle...it has only one motor which, when I last checked online, was reasonably priced...

Evolution® Double Row Undercoat Rake with Rotating Pins
Evolution® Double Row Undercoat Rake with Rotating Pins
Price: $11.47
16 used & new from $5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, February 10, 2015
I have a long coat GSD and had the Evolution undercoat long rake and loved it. It disappeared 2 weeks ago, so I ordered this one. I started brushing the dog and it felt like the rake wasn't going all the way in, just sliding on top of the coat and no undercoat was coming out. Yesterday I found my old Evolution rake and I brushed the dog with both, so I could compare. The old Evolution rake has longer and sharper teeth and the 2 rows are staggered. On the new one, the two rows are almost at the same level, the teeth are dull and rounded. When I brushed the dog with the new one, no hair came out, but with the old I got quite a bit of undercoat. If shipping back was not half of the cost of the brush, it would be going back. As it is, in the trash it goes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2015 8:25 AM PDT

Travelpro Luggage Maxlite3 Garment Bag, Black, One Size
Travelpro Luggage Maxlite3 Garment Bag, Black, One Size
Offered by PORTMANTOS
Price: $79.99
23 used & new from $40.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, September 23, 2014
Got this based on the great reviews. The lining next to the inside zipper tore with the first use. The only reason I got this bag was that it was a tad thinner then the Briggs and Riley version I already have and seemed perfect for overnight, except for the now obvious issue of low quality. Back it went thanks to the Amazon generous return policy.

Play with Your Dog (Dogwise Training Manual)
Play with Your Dog (Dogwise Training Manual)
Price: $7.59

3.0 out of 5 stars very basic play manual, September 23, 2014
I have great respect for Pat Miller, as I've read articles by her and they were always inspirational in a way. I am not a newby when it comes to dogs, probably a little above the average owner in terms of knowledge. I've always had GSD, always played with my dogs, I incorporate play in the training, we have been playing tug since he was a puppy, fetch, swim games, jump games, find the kids in the forest, so I am not new to the world of dog play. Lately, I've been wondering what other ways I can come up to make the game play a bit more interesting...becuase he does want to play and there are so many times I can throw the ball or run away, before it gets a bit boring for the human. I was looking for a resource that will focus more on thinking/mind games, problem solving and so on...and I came across this book. Knowing what I know about Pat Miller, I ordered it right away and started reading it only to realize that we do that already, so I skimmed through the rest.

This is very basic primer for someone who probably never had a dog...and has no idea how to interact with dogs. All the games in the book are very common sense, basic games for an active dog: chase, ball, tug, some tricks, dig. Some ideas on how to read dogs when they play, not very useful section on breaking dog fights...Again, great book if you have never played with a dog and have no idea how to engage your pup in play.

Child of a Guardian and of the Free: Daoine Maithe Book 3
Child of a Guardian and of the Free: Daoine Maithe Book 3
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, poor editing, July 31, 2014
Loved all three books, unfortunately the last is in some serious need of editing. Spelling mistakes, characters names swapped, sentences that don't make sense. Feels hastily thrown together. The story is engaging, I wish the author had spent the time to polish it.

Too Close to Home (Women of Justice Book #1): A Novel
Too Close to Home (Women of Justice Book #1): A Novel
Price: $8.09

3.0 out of 5 stars loved it, but, January 20, 2014
great story line, kept me reading and engaged, except for all the god/religion stuff. Way overboard. A little less would have been better.

HomeAgain Microchip Implant Kit for Administration by Veterinarian
HomeAgain Microchip Implant Kit for Administration by Veterinarian
Offered by Countryside Pet Supply Co.
Price: $11.95
3 used & new from $11.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Not working, June 3, 2013
I had my dog microchipped last year. The vet checked the chip before implanting, it was working. After implanting, it was working intermittently. I assumed that it was the scanner, so I took my dog to the shelter. They tried all of their scanners, finally, after 15 min, they managed to scan it. Couple of months later, I needed chip verification form, so went back to the largest vet clinic in my area. It took 20 min, and 3 different technicians...Called homeagain and they offered a replacement chip to be mailed to a vet of my choice. I asked for a 134kH, since the original chip was 124kH unencrypted and they refused. No guarantee that the new chip will work better either, they seemed to think that it is completely normal to have several chips in your dog.

I wish I had done research on microchips before using home again and gone with 134kH encrypted chip from a company that stands behind their products.

Virbac Preventic Tick Collar, Large Dog, 25", 2-Pack
Virbac Preventic Tick Collar, Large Dog, 25", 2-Pack
Price: $25.73
12 used & new from $24.75

1.0 out of 5 stars This used to be the gold standard..., May 21, 2013
I have used Preventic collars for years and loved it, all I would find on rare occasion was dead ticks. In the past year, unfortunately, my experience has been the opposite. Failure after failure, i.e. live, fully engorged ticks, detached from my dog on the floor. I tried 2 different lots, thinking that something might be wrong with the first batch, shortened the duration of wearing to 2 months (the usual time frame is 3 months), nothing. My dog got full blown Lyme and I kept finding live, attached ticks.

Contacted Virbac with the lot number and was told that they have been getting calls like mine for a while now and that I should really be using two different pesticides, so add frontline on top of the Preventic. Also, apparently since I didn't buy it from my vet, no guarantee of any kind applies. Not sure what has changed, whether the ticks are more resilient to Amitraz specifically (I am in NoVA) or something in the manufacturing process, but for the time being my dog is on different tick preventative.

Delta 467-DST Palo Single Handle Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet, Chrome
Delta 467-DST Palo Single Handle Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet, Chrome
Offered by eFaucets
Price: $140.83
35 used & new from $110.43

1.0 out of 5 stars Dripping, March 16, 2013
Installation was straight forward, the removal of the old faucet took the most effort. Unfortunately, the faucet worked great for about 6 months and now is dripping. I will update the review after getting a resolution from Delta. So far I am not happy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4