Profile for Gina Miller > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gina Miller RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Invicta Men's 0832 Force Contender GMT Black Polyurethane Strap Watch
Invicta Men's 0832 Force Contender GMT Black Polyurethane Strap Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Substantial, April 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this watch for my husband. It's very large, the face is heavy and substantial. However the straps are light, flexible and comfortable. There are a lot of high end features on this watch, it behaves and looks very expensive. It's is packaged in a very nice, padded large box which is perfect for gift giving. Although on the heavy side, my husband gives this watch his stamp of approval.

Remington CI9538  Tstudio Salon Collection Pearl Digital Ceramic Curling Wand, 1 - 1 1/2
Remington CI9538 Tstudio Salon Collection Pearl Digital Ceramic Curling Wand, 1 - 1 1/2
Price: $22.09
11 used & new from $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it!, February 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have read that ceramic curling irons provide longer lasting curls than irons made out of other materials so I wanted to try one. My hair is very long and I found it very easy to wrap my hair around it, as long as I wore the accompanying glove. However wrapping my bangs around it which are shorter was more difficult. If I want to have a nice full curl on my bang I still use my old, standard run of the mill iron. The bangs slip right off of this barrel because they are not long enough to wrap around the barrel without a clasp on it, which this iron doesn't have. I wish it did have a clasp, however I do think the curl is more intense and long lasting, it also has more body and volume than my old iron. Honestly, when I have time I like to turn this iron on and my old iron on at the same time. I curl my bangs and my under curl with my older larger barrel iron and then go around my whole head with the top most layer of hair and make ringlets, after the heat dissipates I scrunch my hair with my hands at the roots to get more body. The glove and lack of clasp took a while to get used to but it is worth it!

Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects: Essential and Advanced Techniques, 5th Edition, Version CS5
by Chris Meyer
Price: $55.65
104 used & new from $27.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!, November 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A little background first. I am a video editor and 3D animator. I have used various editing programs through out the years including Final Cut (7 and the new X), Vegas, and Combustion. Early on I had learned Autodesk (now Discreet) Combustion with the Autodesk 3D Studio Max. At the time Autodesk was marketing them as sister products. Because I had learned Combustion on such a deep level I stuck with it, however it now appears dormant, still remaining in it's 2008 version with no foreseeable upgrades. Because of this I want to transfer over to After Effects which is why I have this book.

This is a great book. It is organized well with a lot of photos and includes a companion DVD. The authors go into detail so that whether you are a novice or a more advanced user of video editing programs there is something to be learned. For example, an in depth lighting section (what is ambient light vs. parallel light) and they even have a few pages on how to create 3D objects in Photoshop and import them into AE. They are definitely trying to approach all relevant topics in this book.

Of course they go over all the basics as well, the work area, animation, text, effects, keying, audio, rendering etc.

There are little tips in the side margins - for example in the keying section they suggest keying with a green channel unless you are filming a blonde who may key better against a blue background. These insider tips are an attractive feature.

I would recommend this book. It is one that I will return to frequently while transitioning to AE.

Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality
Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality
by Jonathan Weiner
130 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, mostly, November 9, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of my favorite subjects and Aubrey de Grey is a man I admire greatly even before I first saw him speak at a conference many years ago. The book was interesting; it covered many historical moments and people who tried to reach for that ever glistening fountain of youth.

The unfortunate parts were where the author made a point to judge Aubrey de Grey based on his physical traits, repeatedly. It turned me off and I had to grit my teeth to continue reading. It was obvious that the author was trying to generate a "dark mood" around Aubrey. As most of us know if someone has a beard or is thin it is irrelevant and making a point of it only makes a point of oneself.

Aside from that the author feels the usual fear that we have of change, that an evil super power will use immortality as a bad force against us. That's fair everyone can have their own opinion.

But if you think about it, living forever won't kill people. And beyond that, immortality won't actually make it so that we could not die if we changed our mind, if the state changed their mind or in the case of a freak accident in which our body could not be repaired.

The author also thinks that there is beauty in us knowing there is an end and that living forever might some how squash our natural appreciation for such a progression. Or he surmisses it might just end up being rather boring.

Personally, the longer I live the more I appreciate life and not the other way around. It is not because I think the end is near, it is because there is more to appreciate - I have had more experiences. The longer I live, the more memories I will have to appreciate. And in more time life gets better and with even more time I will continue to evolve and improve as a person and therefor contribute more to this world.

As far as boring goes, people get bored in today's lifetime spans, so that won't change. Boredom is about - not doing anything - so if you are not doing anything now you might not be a few hundred years down the road either. But that's on the individual. And of course in every lifetime now matter how long, there are moments of boredom... that doesn't make life any less valuable to me.

Living forever might not be for everybody - or the author. There are religious reasons or just feeling uncomfortable with it. Everyone is entitled to thier lifestyle, (or lifespan) that's perfectly fine. Those who are interested in immortality are not interested in forcing everyone into it, they just want to be able to have the option for themselves. Just like good medicine - only this would be the best.

And PS I do like how the author ended the book, it was very clever but I won't give it way now. You'll have to find out for yourself.

Gina "Nanogirl" Miller
nanogirl(dot)com

Adobe Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 7 [OLD VERSION]
Adobe Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 7 [OLD VERSION]
10 used & new from $20.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, November 9, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a professional graphic designer and an animator. I use a lot of the Adobe products to create my work. There are different levels in this program, you can work as a beginner or as an advanced user. If you want to do Photo editing this is a great program for you especially if you don't want to fork out the money or learn the more elaborate high end product lines. The combination of the two programs together is also a great new feature. While this combo is not going to give you all of the fancy options that a CS4 or CS5 will provide, it will get you were you need to go.

Verbatim 97090 25 GB 2x Blu-ray Single-Layer Recordable Disc BD-R LTH (Low to High), 20-Disc Spindle
Offered by lakeplacegames
Price: $40.99
2 used & new from $19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger is better, January 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I make animated films and the final render outputs are HUGE! If I want to mail a high quality movie - the standard or even larger sized DVD's are not ample enough. Last year I upgraded my workstation and I had a Blu-Ray slotted above my DVD, these disks are great! At a 25 GB capability they are perfect for the sorts of file sizes that I have - and for the average computer user out there you could burn most of your data if not all of it onto one of these disks, you would not need multiple DVD's. You won't be disappointed, I know I'm not.

Filmmakers and Financing: Business Plans for Independents
Filmmakers and Financing: Business Plans for Independents
by Louise Levison
34 used & new from $8.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice overview, January 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I make animated films so I am interested in how to finance and market my films, thus my purchase of this book. First off it is impressive that it is presented by "Variety" the industry standard magazine and the author also created the business plan for the Blair Witch Project.
In between the pages itself the book aims to be a guide on how to develop your own business plan as an independent film maker.
There are interviews with filmmakers who have gone through the process of trying to get an investor. There are in depth explanations of the different types of ways to get funding, there are strategies and warning, there are sections on distribution and motion picture production. All in all it is a very well rounded read. It's also nicely written and easily understood.

Swan Feathers
Swan Feathers
Price: $17.35
43 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Coffee on a rainy day., July 31, 2009
This review is from: Swan Feathers (Audio CD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This CD is smooth, calm, filled with lyrical emotion. It feels very genuine, no pretenses - just songs from the heart.

1. A very quiet, peaceful song.
2. A little jazzier.
3. Slow and rich, I love this song, it's beautiful!
4. A building unique sound, that rises up into poetry.
5. Musky tones, slow beats driven by relationship musings.
6. Finger snapping, cello thumping, with a dash of that old school swing.
7. Sounds like a rainy day ~ full of love angst.
8. Guitar filled number, makes you want to have coffee and paint.
9. I like the mellow deep emotional pull of this song.
10. This is a remake of the Ronettes "Be my little baby", but slower, it's nice.
11. An end of the day song, very world conscious and thoughtful.

The style of Mendelson is part modern pop, part 70's lounge room, part 30's jazz, and part folk. It's the sort of thing you want to listen to when you want to relax, have a nice conversation with company or do some work, it's very compatible, none intrusive, easy. I like it.

Olay Definity 14-Day Skin Rehabilitation
Olay Definity 14-Day Skin Rehabilitation
Offered by The FairweatherForge
Price: $18.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh so soft Olay, March 25, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This 14 day treatment comes in three parts, but it's all in one little tray for you. There are 7 tubes in the first row of the tray, just twist the caps off and put on before bed, they give you more than enough to cover your face. After you apply to your face will need to allow for a few moments of drying before laying your head on the pillow. The next day I could immediately feel that my face was super soft and hydrated. It was a very noticeable difference in texture. I couldn't believe how smooth my face was and I kept feeling it.
The second row is the same type of tube but a different consistency inside. After you complete all the tubes there is a final step, it is a mask, but you don't have to mix anything, or rinse anything off, you just take it out of the pouch, put it right on your face and then throw it away. It's been about two weeks since I've used the product but my skin still feels dewy soft and smooth. That tells me that it is not just temporary relief but that it's actually doing something down deep, that lasts. It is an impressive regime.

The Switch Sparkling Juice, Black Cherry, 8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 24)
The Switch Sparkling Juice, Black Cherry, 8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 24)
Price: $24.00
6 used & new from $24.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Switchin' it up, February 26, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's not black cherry like a soda, it's black cherry like real fruit, nice and sweet. It's flavor is bright and cheery and I like how it lingers in your mouth. It tastes good while being all natural, with nothing added. I like it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7