Profile for Photomatix > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Photomatix RSS Feed

Blackberry Curve 8530 Camera GPS Wifi 3G CDMA ONLY (DOES NOT WORK OUTSIDE US)
Blackberry Curve 8530 Camera GPS Wifi 3G CDMA ONLY (DOES NOT WORK OUTSIDE US)
59 used & new from $4.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as long as the warranty, July 4, 2012
I had one. I bought it on March 19 2011. By May of 2012 it was beginning to malfunction. Now it's totally useless. It has so many keyboard faults that are so eratic they have to be software that it's not even funny. I spent $200 on this and it is a brick after just ONE year. I'm getting a flip phone now.

2.5-inch HD Car LED IR Vehicle DVR Road Dash Video Camera Recorder Traffic Dashboard Camcorder - LCD 270 degrees whirl
Offered by A-Plus Trading
Price: $14.98
74 used & new from $11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite terrible but does the job, June 20, 2012
Length:: 2:00 Mins

This is a sample video. Please ignore the small crack in the windshield - that's been there for years and isn't in my vision. The sound track on the CD does have gaps - there's a problem with the CD.

The video recorder works - it's quite poor definition. This was shot in bright sunlight with a clean windshield. The video seems to have unexplained clicks, an annoying high-pitched whine and some kind of cutout in the signal.

I tried an eye-fi card and it will not recognise it unless i pull it out then plug it in again. It needs to be switched off before you turn the ignition off and on after you turn the car on again.

Video length seems to be 3 minute segments. My eye-fi couldn't pick up my wifi network so I had to upload manually which took forever.

This is a neat unit if all you're going to do is use a 32gb sd card and rotate cards every day.

It's better than my previous unit but there's plenty room for improvement.

I don't recommend leaving it switched on in the car as it and the cigarette plug get very hot - maybe hot enough to cause a fire
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2012 8:27 PM PDT

ESDCFII: Extreme MMC, SDHC, SD to CF Type II Adapter
ESDCFII: Extreme MMC, SDHC, SD to CF Type II Adapter
Offered by eTECH
Price: $12.00
6 used & new from $12.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, June 19, 2012
I tried this with an eye-fi card which is SDHC and it came up "card error" in my Canon S1 IS and my Canon XT.

I changed the card out for a 128mb SD card and it came up with exactly the same error.

Clearly if it won't read a several year old SD card (which reads perfectly well in my other readers - my computer, my PDA etc) then this device is junk.

Vivitar 2400m Flash for Cameras With hotshoe connection (bracket NOT included)
Vivitar 2400m Flash for Cameras With hotshoe connection (bracket NOT included)
Offered by rcarter1
Price: $14.99
6 used & new from $6.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Died as soon as it arrived, February 24, 2012
First off, the shoe voltage is 200v not 3.8v

Secondly, it was erratic with my PT04 and then stopped working altogether.

It's so cheap it's not worth sending back. It's just become expensive landfill.

I'll keep playing with it but I have a feeling it's a lost cause.

Clarification - I gave it 3 stars because I probably just had a faulty one. It did produce a flash that was quite powerful and I did take ONE photo with it.

Edit,,,,

Blow me down if it didn't suddenly start working properly and reliably. I have no explanation as to why this should now be.

RCA VR5320R 1GB Digital Voice Recorder
RCA VR5320R 1GB Digital Voice Recorder
Offered by muzzha!
Price: $32.99
12 used & new from $23.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this device, June 26, 2011
I bought mine from Walmart. It has a non-standard recording format that needs to be converted before it's usable. The thing does not seem to be recognisable by my Mac. I had to use a Windows machine. Controls are horrible. After days of frustration with this piece of irritating junk, I replaced it with an Olympus that works brilliantly.

Buy this only if you want to fiddle around. If you want to record reliably, buy something else.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2011 5:02 PM PDT

High Speed Photography and Photonics (SPIE Press Monograph Vol. PM120)
High Speed Photography and Photonics (SPIE Press Monograph Vol. PM120)
by Sidney F. Ray
Price: $63.88
22 used & new from $50.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally good, May 14, 2011
It's not a bad book. The author tries to encompass everything. Reading the book, it rapidly becomes clear the parts that are written from research rather than experience. This does not mean it's a bad book; on the contrary, it's really quite good. It has severe limitations in many areas where the author really does not appear to be quite certain of his subject matter. I have this book and used it as a starting point in the research for a book I wrote, myself. As an example, the section on Schlieren imaging is rather obscure. There are websites that explain it more clearly though I cannot vouch for their accuracy as I have not myself done any Schlieren imaging (this will be attempted later). This book is an EXCELLENT starting point for anybody seriously interested in researching high-speed imaging. As far as practical high-speed imaging is concerned, if somebody wants to try it then there are better instructional books available.

Kyocera Loft - Virgin Mobile
Kyocera Loft - Virgin Mobile

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful junk, April 3, 2011
Where do I start? This "thing" lasted me all of 2 months before I had to replace it.

To start with, the buttons are fiddly and hard to press. I found getting it to wake up when I wanted to use the internet at night rather fiddly.

It worked fine for 2 months then lost all my contact details (no way of backing them up and no way of backing up the pictures either). Everything was lost. Then the thing kept going into email mode and getting stuck there and then emitting an irritating beep every few seconds until I got it out of email mode manually. 30 seconds later, it would elect to go back into email mode and the cycle would repeat.

In the end, after trying hard resets etc and having been driven round the twist by the thing, I replaced it with the Blackberry I should have bought in the first place.

Sound quality through the speaker was poor. I could hardly understand anybody - it was as though I was talking to somebody using tin cans and a piece of string. I could only get decent sound quality using a bluetooth headset but as I don't want to walk round looking like a robot, that wasn't an option.

Sometimes the phone would ring, sometimes not. I don't know how many calls I missed because it would not ring.

Save your money and buy something better.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, January 30, 2011
I was expecting something that would block GPS from maybe 10 feet away. I actually found standing 30 feet away from my car with my GPS unit in hand that it was blocked. That was unexpected but worthwhile.

The three main methods of tracking are via GPS trackers, mobile phones with built-in position tracking and via Lojack. This eliminates the cheaper tracking method used by many amateurs.